MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
61%
James
25%
Harden
3%
Leonard
0%
Doncic
4%
Jokic
1%
Tatum
1%
Davis
1%
Butler
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
2%

Total votes: 430

Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 799

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1381 » by Packbuckman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:25 pm

nikster wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
machu46 wrote:Okay, so after normalizing for possessions and realizing Giannis still has Shaq beat across the board, what do we do next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still try to justify that LeBron should win when Giannis stats are ay better on both sides of the ball. And the thing people are missing is Giannis is not even close to his average for free throws this year if he was his stats would be unreal.

I wont debate Giannis is more deserving of MVP but are stats really saying he is a better offensive player (certainly not way better)? Lakers have a better offensive rating, Lebrons offensive rating is higher, Lebrons points generated by assists is larger than the difference in scoring, offensive win shares favour lebron but ORPM favours Giannis.

Lakers might have a better offensive rating but the bucks score the most points and have the best point differential of anyone by far. Best record and so on Lebron is having a great season no doubt I just think Giannis season is just better and when his free throws go back to his normal 70’s percent next season and beyond he will be even better think about that. Plus his defense also just gets better.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#1382 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:03 am

The voters are going to weifjt these games very heavily, even if unintentionally. The season is a long ago memory at this point.

But Giannis doesn’t really coast or try to conserve himself, so he always comes out at the befinning of seasons at a ridiculous pace, so he’ll probably put up stupid numbers through this play in schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,698

Post#1383 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:44 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:The voters are going to weifjt these games very heavily, even if unintentionally.

I'm actually really curious about this. I think some may do just that. I also think there are some who will see these 8 games as so different that they will assign very little weight to them. Many of the voters have written or talked on a podcast about pretty much being ready to turn in their ballots.

The other thing I ask myself is if Giannis sat out the 8 games and Lebron played them all and put up 30/10/10 on good efficiency, played good defense, and the Lakers went 7-1 would it be enough to pass Giannis? I think for me the answer might be no.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#1384 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:21 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:The voters are going to weifjt these games very heavily, even if unintentionally.

I'm actually really curious about this. I think some may do just that. I also think there are some who will see these 8 games as so different that they will assign very little weight to them. Many of the voters have written or talked on a podcast about pretty much being ready to turn in their ballots.

The other thing I ask myself is if Giannis sat out the 8 games and Lebron played them all and put up 30/10/10 on good efficiency, played good defense, and the Lakers went 7-1 would it be enough to pass Giannis? I think for me the answer might be no.

They say stuff like that... but then the game comes on, and it's all they worry about :lol:

I think if Giannis sat out, it would do better for him than playing bad, if that makes any sense.

Like I said though, the dude is going to come out balls to the wall if I had to bet. He'll clinch MVP easily either way IMO,
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#1385 » by The_Hater » Sat Jul 4, 2020 3:15 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

If that exact scenerio occurred, I think the answer would be yes. Recency bias always exists in award voting and with a 4 month layoff it would be more pronounced than ever.

However, I don’t see Bron playing all 8 games or enough mpg to post those numbers. The star players on the true contenders are going to be eased back into action and get plenty of rest to avoid injury.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,288

Post#1386 » by Jstock12 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 9:08 pm

Giannis, hands down. Doesn't have another MVP caliber teammate to help him.
teksablabb
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#1387 » by teksablabb » Mon Jul 6, 2020 6:35 pm

To get a glimpse into the decision-making process of LeBron James, test your own court vision:

https://edubasketball.com/lebron-james-basketball-iq-court-vision-test/
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#1388 » by JordansBulls » Thu Jul 9, 2020 4:02 am

First Take wrote:Lebron James. Year 17, aged 35 doing some amazing things. Playing a new position with a brand new roster. The man is on a mission after everyone wrote him out.

Lebron has a guy on his team who has better stats than he does.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#1389 » by Floody100 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:49 am

Why hasn’t OG Anunoby’s name been discussed ?
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Post#1390 » by The Lazy Potato » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:22 pm

NBA awards will be based on the regular season through March 11, per Shams Charania.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2900644-nba-awards-reportedly-to-be-based-on-play-before-league-suspended-march-11
Blaze4G
Pro Prospect
And1: 939

Post#1391 » by Blaze4G » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 pm

I want to know when did MVP become an age to performance award?

"Lebron doing this at age 35 he should be MVP!"

I'll like to remind Lebron / Lakers fans, this award does not factor age. If it did then Luka should win.
NY 567 wrote: that won't change the fact that Tatum is mediocre as hell and that Ainge is dumb enough to give average starters with no upside like Tatum and Brown max contracts. That's worse than Isiah Thomas level dumb
Blaze4G
Pro Prospect
And1: 939

Post#1392 » by Blaze4G » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:18 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:LeBron will be robbed of the MVP award... yet again.

I'm curious on your thoughts of what exactly Giannis would have had to do to win mvp this year?
NY 567 wrote: that won't change the fact that Tatum is mediocre as hell and that Ainge is dumb enough to give average starters with no upside like Tatum and Brown max contracts. That's worse than Isiah Thomas level dumb
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 2,789

Post#1393 » by OriginalRed » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:24 am

Lebron's only chance to win MVP closed when they announced the voting would only factor in what happened before the shutdown. There is no way in hell you can vote Lebron as the MVP if your basing it on the 2020 season up till March unless your a diehard stan or a Giannis hater.

Bucks have the better record, Giannis has the better stats, far inferior second star, and has a dominant record against not just the East but also the West. So what's the argument for Lebron? Oh right, because he's at age 35 lol.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#1394 » by RaptorPride » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:27 am

Floody100 wrote:Why hasn’t OG Anunoby’s name been discussed ?

Thats after he locks down Tatum in the playoffs.
Spoiler:

RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Post#1395 » by RaptorPride » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:28 am

Its Giannis end of discussion.
Spoiler:

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,275

Post#1396 » by boomershadow » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:41 am

When Steph won his back to back MVPs, he had demonstrably raised his game to a level beyond what he had done the year before. Giannis is basically doing what he did last year and what people expect to see out of him for years to come. The MVP is a narrative award, and the Bucks, while successful, are pretty much about where they should be. Lebron raised his team from the lottery to the number 1 seed when there wasn't even clear consensus that the Lakers would make it back to the playoffs. And he IS the engine of that team. Don't let stats fool you.

Giannis has numbers that are a little bit better. If you think that makes him the MVP over Lebron, okay, but I don't think it does. It's not just a PPG award.
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#1397 » by DutchManDanFan » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:35 am

boomershadow wrote:When Steph won his back to back MVPs, he had demonstrably raised his game to a level beyond what he had done the year before. Giannis is basically doing what he did last year and what people expect to see out of him for years to come. The MVP is a narrative award, and the Bucks, while successful, are pretty much about where they should be.

No, it's not. Bucks have the best record, because they have the MVP. There's not much of a debate about this.

boomershadow wrote:Lebron raised his team from the lottery to the number 1 seed when there wasn't even clear consensus that the Lakers would make it back to the playoffs. And he IS the engine of that team. Don't let stats fool you.

:nonono: His team was raised by better players. AD to name 1. With the Clippers they were clear favorites in the West from day 1.

boomershadow wrote:Giannis has numbers that are a little bit better. If you think that makes him the MVP over Lebron, okay, but I don't think it does. It's not just a PPG award.

LeBron has a very good season. MVP worthy in many years. Just like Harden last year and this year. But if someone else has a better season (more valuable), it's bad luck but you don't win. In some years it's close and then the narrative plays a part. This year it's not close. Look at the poll result.
GiannisNowitzki
Sophomore
And1: 259

Post#1398 » by GiannisNowitzki » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:34 pm

boomershadow wrote:When Steph won his back to back MVPs, he had demonstrably raised his game to a level beyond what he had done the year before. Giannis is basically doing what he did last year and what people expect to see out of him for years to come. The MVP is a narrative award, and the Bucks, while successful, are pretty much about where they should be. Lebron raised his team from the lottery to the number 1 seed when there wasn't even clear consensus that the Lakers would make it back to the playoffs. And he IS the engine of that team. Don't let stats fool you.

Giannis has numbers that are a little bit better. If you think that makes him the MVP over Lebron, okay, but I don't think it does. It's not just a PPG award.

1. Despite playing 2 fewer minutes per game, Giannis raised his ppg by 2 and rebs by 1, both as career highs.
2. Despite losing Brogdon in the offseason, and everyone saying how this would cost them 10 wins, the Bucks rose their win pace over last year.
3. Giannis' stats are far better than Lebron's. Oh yeah, sorry, assists...!!!! When The Lakers blow out their opponents so badly that Lebron only plays 30 mins a game, then we can start making comparisons to cumulative stats. Otherwise, look at per 36 or 48, and it's not even close.
4. Defense anyone?
5. When the defending MVP raises his stats and wins, and his team has the best record in the league, and no other player outperforms him over the season, there's really no option but to recrown him.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#1399 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:11 pm

boomershadow wrote:When Steph won his back to back MVPs, he had demonstrably raised his game to a level beyond what he had done the year before. Giannis is basically doing what he did last year and what people expect to see out of him for years to come. The MVP is a narrative award, and the Bucks, while successful, are pretty much about where they should be. Lebron raised his team from the lottery to the number 1 seed when there wasn't even clear consensus that the Lakers would make it back to the playoffs. And he IS the engine of that team. Don't let stats fool you.

Why? Why do you guys keep doing this?
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#1400 » by skones » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:11 pm

I can't believe this is even a post.

4.5 points more per 100 possessions, 2.6 rebounds more per 100 possessions. Impact numbers up across the board. Now let's dig in a little further to what really makes him the MVP and makes you look ignorant.

#1 DPIPM
#6 DRPM
#1 DRAPM
#1 DWS
#1 DBPM
Leading the a historically dominant defense. (That he makes 8 points per 100 possessions better when he's on the floor)

Like are you serious? Going so far as to state it's "not just a ppg award?" If you want to believe the MVP is a narrative award, sure, it is. The problem here is the narrative that you're trying to push in this post is about as lame duck as it gets. "Lebron raised his team from the lottery to the number 1 seed?" That's what we call a false narrative. Frank Vogel, Anthony Davis, Danny Green, Avery Bradley, Dwight Howard. Those guys don't bring anything to the table that Luke Walton, Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Reggie Bullock, and Josh Hart didn't. K.

Return to The General Board