List: Covid19-Bois

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,531

Re: List: Covid19-Bois 

Post#181 » by Alatan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:00 am

prophet_of_rage wrote:https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0965-6

For those of you who need science. The antibodies last a finite amount of time. Meaning there is a chance of reinfection.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

Antibodies are not the only way the body protects itself and not the only indicator or lasting immunity. Cellular immune response can also be long term and some studies suggest that it is the main fighting mechanism against Covid19.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,606

Post#182 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:29 am

For those of you who need science. The antibodies last a finite amount of time. Meaning there is a chance of reinfection.

Gotta say a website called nature medicine is not the one I want to trust on that, Could be super legit, but never once heard of it.
whonka
Head Coach
And1: 524

Post#183 » by whonka » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:45 am

Johnny Bball wrote:

Gotta say a website called nature medicine is not the one I want to trust on that, Could be super legit, but never once heard of it.

Was that sarcasm? I couldn’t tell.

Nature is one of the top two academic journals for basic science in medicine (the other one being Science). The equivalent would be NEJM or Lancet in clinical trials.

I would trust an academic journal from Nature over anything you see on google, Wikipedia, or even what some “experts” tell you.

Here’s a list of top academic journals by impact factor.

https://tools.niehs.nih.gov/srp/publications/highimpactjournals.cfm
bidde
Senior
And1: 455

Post#184 » by bidde » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:58 am

Johnny Bball wrote:

:banghead:

Nature is a British weekly scientific journal founded and based in London, England. As a multidisciplinary publication Nature features peer-reviewed research from a variety of academic disciplines, mainly in science, technology, and the natural sciences. It has core editorial offices across the United States, continental Europe, and Asia under the international scientific publishing company Springer Nature. During the late-2010s the weekly had a circulation of 53,000 with a readership of over 400,000.[citation needed] Nature was the world's most cited scientific journal by the Science Edition of the 2018 Journal Citation Reports (with an ascribed impact factor of 43.070),[1] making it one of the world's most-read academic journals.[2][3] As of 2012, it claimed an online readership of about 3 million unique readers per month.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_(journal)

Let's hope a website called wikipedia passes your smell test.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,606

Post#185 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:07 pm

whonka wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Was that sarcasm? I couldn’t tell.

Nature is one of the top two academic journals for basic science in medicine (the other one being Science). The equivalent would be NEJM or Lancet in clinical trials.

I would trust an academic journal from Nature over anything you see on google, Wikipedia, or even what some “experts” tell you.

Here’s a list of top academic journals by impact factor.

https://tools.niehs.nih.gov/srp/publications/highimpactjournals.cfm

Lol nope. Just somehow have never even stumbled on it and spent a career looking at ohs sites, Hygiene sites, cohort studies, exposure studies etc. Maybe it’s not US based and that where I stuck to? No, Not just wiki, and yeah, I know legitimate experts in my field. Maybe the work is that unrelated but it doesn’t look that far off. Weird if it is what you say. Dunno.

Meant the name sounded like natural medicine, which was sarcasm, but really wasn’t.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,928

Post#186 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:03 am

CoP wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
CoP wrote:There have been 120k deaths in 3 months from COVID, and that number keeps climbing. The tally is not done. In the month of April, more people likely died from COVID in the US than any other cause. And that was WITH the shutdown. There was a shutdown precisely to avoid hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions more deaths.

Yeah 120k dead, thanks to state Governors like NY, MI, NJ, PA and IL requiring nursing homes to take these "Covid" patients back while infected, knowing that the Homes were not equipped to isolate contagious patients, I'm talking about Cuomo in particular. We don't even have an accurate number of the people who died in NY becuase of that stupid decision. It was like throwing a match into a pile of dry leaves. This is the same guy who said he needed 40,000 ventilators, who had a 1000 bed hospital created for him at the Javits center, had a huge hospital ship sent to NY Harbor and barely used either.

If they had protected the elderly and worried less about the people who were not sick going out to dinner I'm guessing the death toll would be 1/2 what it is. Nearly 50% of all deaths came from nursing homes and assisted living. But in those 5 states the elderly were treated as throw away people. It is a culture's duty to take care of it's elderly.

I'm sorry, are we on a new topic now? I thought we were talking about you complaining about lockdowns. Do you now agree, as medical professionals have asserted, that the lockdowns have saved hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives? From link

Two new papers published in the journal Nature say that lockdowns put in place to slow the spread of the coronavirus were highly effective, prevented tens of millions of infections and saved millions of lives.

It's all the same, how much can the Govt take from you before you stand up and say no more.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,310

Post#187 » by CoP » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:01 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:It's all the same, how much can the Govt take from you before you stand up and say no more.

Well, the federal government has taken thousands of lives due to its incompetence, so you're on to something there.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,164

Post#188 » by brutalitops » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:05 am

Hard to see the NBA going ahead with the surging numbers

Having leaks of Parker out playing tennis while.infected is a top 10 braindead moment.
DavidDunn21
Sixth Man
And1: 1,943

Post#189 » by DavidDunn21 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:08 am

Maybe I'm missing something...is the idea that Parker is going to wipe his nose with the tennis ball and then his opponent is gonna lick the same ball and catch the Rona?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using RealGM mobile app
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#190 » by bondom34 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:21 am

Darn it, didn't see this earlier and started a thread on Parker.

But no, it's caught by aerosol. Heavy breathing/sweating/running will allow spread, and not wearing a mask with it and doing that is incredibly irresponsible.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Eric Millegan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,304

Post#191 » by Eric Millegan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:27 am

LKN wrote:
gipper08 wrote:Once we get to 50-75 nba players who had the virus and none of them even are admitted to the hospital then will you guys finally admit this virus' lethality is overblown?

Imagine posting garbage like this after well over 100,000 people have died.

Over 100,000 Americans! About 5% death rate in U.S.
Check out "Around the NBA with Chris & Eric” on Underdog Podcasts.
gipper08
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,830

Post#192 » by gipper08 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:43 am

Eric Millegan wrote:
LKN wrote:
gipper08 wrote:Once we get to 50-75 nba players who had the virus and none of them even are admitted to the hospital then will you guys finally admit this virus' lethality is overblown?

This is crazy.You are WRONG.

The CDC, of all people, one month ago said the IFR among SYMPTOMATIC cases is .4% and overall .26%,
Since then "cases" have skyrocketed and deaths have plummeted bringing the IFR EVEN LOWER. Get a clue.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#193 » by JN61 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Eric Millegan wrote:
LKN wrote:

Being grossly overweight nation and all issues it brings doesn't help either.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#194 » by JN61 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:05 pm

gipper08 wrote:
Eric Millegan wrote:
LKN wrote:

The CDC, of all people, one month ago said the IFR among SYMPTOMATIC cases is .4% and overall .26%,
Since then "cases" have skyrocketed and deaths have plummeted bringing the IFR EVEN LOWER. Get a clue.

Yes, because getting even more cases (and soon more deaths) just to get death % number lower is such a good thing. You vote for Trumpet?
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
gipper08
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,830

Post#195 » by gipper08 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:07 pm

JN61 wrote:
gipper08 wrote:
Eric Millegan wrote:Over 100,000 Americans! About 5% death rate in U.S.

Yes, because getting even more cases (and soon more deaths) just to get death % number lower is such a good thing. You vote for Trumplet?

hey genius...the raw death numbers are way, way, way, down as well.
CaptainFanchini
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#196 » by CaptainFanchini » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi guys

I return to post after many weeks.

I'm really sorry to see the situation oversea, but when you have such "low profile" lockdowns, too early reopenings, too many people not wearing mask and not practicing social distance, and a president who act like Trump (of which, before this crisis I wasn't his biggest opponent), you can't be surprised.

Here in Italy we took strong actions, with sacrifice, but now we have almost empy hospitals and just 150-300 new cases on 60 milions people every day.
In my province on a daily basis of 1500-2000 tests, we find just 2-3 cases per day, in some days even 0 !
We are now almost full reopen, with just some social distancing and masks in closed places.

Thanks God (or whoever) for our serious lockdown ... we have spared ourself probably 300-500.000 lifes and worse economic situations.

Good luck !
Basketball is my religion
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,928

Post#197 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:45 pm

CoP wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:It's all the same, how much can the Govt take from you before you stand up and say no more.

Well, the federal government has taken thousands of lives due to its incompetence, so you're on to something there.

Not the federal govt it the state level the 5 states I mentioned have at least 40,000 dead nursing home patients by the Governors orders.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,349

Post#198 » by G R E Y » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:29 pm

bondom34 wrote:Darn it, didn't see this earlier and started a thread on Parker.

But no, it's caught by aerosol. Heavy breathing/sweating/running will allow spread, and not wearing a mask with it and doing that is incredibly irresponsible.

I didn't get to the Parker thread before it got locked, but yes, I agree completely. He has a responsibility as a pro whose league is going to great lengths to protect players and personnel to show a modicum of respect for others and STAY THE BLOODY HELL HOME for a whopping 14 days. It's not. that. hard. I really do hope his team or the league reprimands him for his selfish and irresponsible choice. If nothing else, other teams can add this to the 'players don't get paid for defense' or whatever when choosing to pay free agents. Still hasn't grown up. One way or another it'll catch up with him.

p.s. Memo to JP from another player who took it lightly - https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258614/Rudy-Gobert-Says-Taste-Has-Returned-But-Smell-Is-Still-Not-100-perc
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,349

Post#199 » by G R E Y » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:32 pm

Add Wilson Chandler to the list. I wonder how Nets fans feel about it?

I want to stress that each case is different. I went hard at Bertans for not going (and I still feel the same way) but I understand Ariza's situation, for example. I don't know enough about Chandler's circumstances to have an opinion either way.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,972

Post#200 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:23 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to The General Board