Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,418

Noah Here For The Rest of the Season 

Post#1 » by TrueLAfan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Kinda thinking he wouldn't have been locked in unless he looked good in practices. Good news.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Re: Noah Here For The Rest of the Season 

Post#2 » by playaloc916 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:13 am

I'm glad to hear this. The extra time off has probably been huge for Noah's recovery. He could turn into our own "Dwight" signing, as in a low-risk, high-reward pickup.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers

Post#3 » by TrueLAfan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:26 pm

Signing is official. There's also a non-guaranteed deal for the 2020-1 season, which is huge. Having Joakim Noah around for 800 minutes in the regular season and 15-18 mpg in the playoffs could be a difference maker.
TheIIIE
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#4 » by TheIIIE » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:35 pm

playaloc916 wrote:I'm glad to hear this. The extra time off has probably been huge for Noah's recovery. He could turn into our own "Dwight" signing, as in a low-risk, high-reward pickup.

I thought the lakers would take it all this year. Regarding the comment above I agree 100%. Really excited to watch the lakers and clippers go at it.

New to the blog. It has always been a pleasure reading the posts and comments. Since I was a kid ! ^.^(Currently 29) Hello everyone !
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,804

Post#5 » by og15 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm

Can't hurt to have the big body, he gives an option to thrown in for a couple minutes here and there if needed. Helps with a possible foul trouble situation, etc
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers

Post#6 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:58 pm

First--Welcome The IIIE!

I agree with og15—but I also think that’s the floor here. If Noah has almost totally run out of gas and energy as a player, he can get out and give 8-10 mpg spelling Trezz and Zu.

But—and I think this is a reasonable “if ”—if Noah can play like he played last year, he brings a lot more to the table. Noah played 40 total minutes in the 20 months between Feb. 2017 and Dec. 2018. It took him about 15 games to get back into game shape after that long layoff, and he was kind of a beast after that—a line of about 10.5-7-3 in 21 mpg. That’s a lot more than a guy you put when others are in foul trouble or as filler. That’s a guy you can have or want on the court at important times.

I’m a Zu fan—but he’s a 23 year old with little playoff experience, and he’s still prone to making young player blunders, especially on D. He’ll lose some minutes—and, especially with Morris here, so will Green (a lot) and 2Pat. If you take 22-25 PF/C minutes from those three and give them to Noah and Morris—who are just better, especially on D—our frontcourt will be terrifying.

Note: I also think Morris will be slotting in from time to time at SF; he’s the sleeper piece we haven’t talked about. Put it this way; our two latest acquisitions are Joakim Noah and Marcus Morris. It’s not that I don’t love Trezz—don’t get me wrong—but let him get a breather. How does a crunch time lineup of

C—Noah
PF—Morris
SF—Kawhi
SG—PG
PG—Bev

sound to you? Defensively almost impregnable, tough, veteran, plenty of scoring, good passing from all positions (well, almost …Morris is only OK as a passer).

Bottom line: I think Noah and Morris are going to be deciding factors. If we get 18-10 in 35 mpg out of those two with good efficiency and their usual D, we’ll be very tough to beat.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Post#7 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:49 am

TheIIIE wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:I'm glad to hear this. The extra time off has probably been huge for Noah's recovery. He could turn into our own "Dwight" signing, as in a low-risk, high-reward pickup.

I thought the lakers would take it all this year. Regarding the comment above I agree 100%. Really excited to watch the lakers and clippers go at it.

New to the blog. It has always been a pleasure reading the posts and comments. Since I was a kid ! ^.^(Currently 29) Hello everyone !

Welcome To The Love, IIIE!

Also, time works in favor of Noah's recovery. He could absolutely turn into our own "Dwight" signing, or even better!! So glad to have him and can't wait to see how he contributes!
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,802

Post#8 » by esqtvd » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:19 am

I'm already tickled after one scrimmage. All I asked is a) be tall and b) stand in the right place. Noah did both--in fact he switched more in one game than Zu and Trezz do in a month. He just knows where to be and that'll get you minutes in the NBA.

8-10 mpg, especially that stretch in the 4th quarter where Trezz needs a blow--will do wonders for the rotation. Noah might also be the choice to close the game if we're up by 10 or more. Put him out there with defenders like Kawhi, PG and Bev and all you need is for him not to screw up, which he won't.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
playaloc916
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by playaloc916 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:31 am

esqtvd wrote:I'm already tickled after one scrimmage. All I asked is a) be tall and b) stand in the right place. Noah did both--in fact he switched more in one game than Zu and Trezz do in a month. He just knows where to be and that'll get you minutes in the NBA.

8-10 mpg, especially that stretch in the 4th quarter where Trezz needs a blow--will do wonders for the rotation. Noah might also be the choice to close the game if we're up by 10 or more. Put him out there with defenders like Kawhi, PG and Bev and all you need is for him not to screw up, which he won't.

I was really impressed by Noah as well. I can't think of a better available player who fits in with this team's philosophy. He's played under Thibs and won a DPOY so you know he has the defensive IQ. He also seems to have that blue collar work ethic that the Pat Bev's and the Kawhi's have. As long as Thibs didn't break his body down too much, I can see him getting regular minutes, especially when we need stops.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#10 » by esqtvd » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:29 am

playaloc916 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:I'm already tickled after one scrimmage. All I asked is a) be tall and b) stand in the right place. Noah did both--in fact he switched more in one game than Zu and Trezz do in a month. He just knows where to be and that'll get you minutes in the NBA.

I was really impressed by Noah as well. I can't think of a better available player who fits in with this team's philosophy. He's played under Thibs and won a DPOY so you know he has the defensive IQ. He also seems to have that blue collar work ethic that the Pat Bev's and the Kawhi's have. As long as Thibs didn't break his body down too much, I can see him getting regular minutes, especially when we need stops.

And the Clips FO got a team option on Noah for next year at about the league minimum for a 12-year vet--$1.7M. Chickenfeed. Not that he cares at age 35--he's made over $125 million in his NBA career. He's gonna get minutes here for Doc. Not just minutes but MINUTES. Maybe on a championship team.

And Playa, he's not just a high-IQ DPOY, but on offense, the first thing he does in the high post is find a body to bang. Every one of his "screens" is technically illegal, but he does it with such veteran finesse that you just can't whistle him. No late feet, no lowered shoulder, no butt stuck out. This is gonna help the offense incredibly. I am so stoked. I like Marcus and Reggie as our new additions, but THIS was the hole we needed filled. I LOVE watching him play. Old School all the way.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,631

Post#11 » by KL2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:16 pm

I’ve been impressed too. Sure he’s a step slow here and there but his IQ makes up for that. I don’t want to get my hopes up because of Doc but he really should get at least 10 minutes a game.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by playaloc916 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 pm

esqtvd wrote:
playaloc916 wrote:

And the Clips FO got a team option on Noah for next year at about the league minimum for a 12-year vet--$1.7M. Chickenfeed. Not that he cares at age 35--he's made over $125 million in his NBA career. He's gonna get minutes here for Doc. Not just minutes but MINUTES. Maybe on a championship team.

And Playa, he's not just a high-IQ DPOY, but on offense, the first thing he does in the high post is find a body to bang. Every one of his "screens" is technically illegal, but he does it with such veteran finesse that you just can't whistle him. No late feet, no lowered shoulder, no butt stuck out. This is gonna help the offense incredibly. I am so stoked. I like Marcus and Reggie as our new additions, but THIS was the hole we needed filled. I LOVE watching him play. Old School all the way.

Very true about the offense, just looking at the highlights, his screens are hilarious, but when you've built up a reputation and have credentials, the refs let you get away with more.

But one thing I didn't know he had, was passing. He's made some excellent passes in the two games so far. Having a big who can make great passes (ie Jokic, Gasol, etc..) is huge. He's filling a lot of holes in the front court nicely.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#13 » by esqtvd » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:03 pm

KL2 wrote:I’ve been impressed too. Sure he’s a step slow here and there but his IQ makes up for that. I don’t want to get my hopes up because of Doc but he really should get at least 10 minutes a game.

Are you kidding? Doc LOVES his vets. The only question is whether he'll try to play him 20. :lol:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers