ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXVIII

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXVIII 

Post#1341 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:38 pm

I would love to go have a beer with Obama, not so much with Hillary. Is that sexist?

I would have loved to go have a beer with the first Bush, second one not so much.

I would be happy to go grab a beer with Teflon Joe, Trump, not so much.

Teflon Joe in a landslide.
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#1342 » by gtn130 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:01 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Trump supporters are fine with Russia paying to have US troops killed. Nate is fine with killing off US troops if it gets us closer to a MAGA ethnostate
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#1343 » by Wizardspride » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#1344 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

The Democrats need to eliminate the filibuster if they want to do anything productive if they win the WH and Senate. Biden will be hamstrung by using budget reconciliation for one big thing and thats it. Can't get the other priorities done.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#1345 » by pancakes3 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:39 pm

the sexism at play is that deep down, americans know that warren should just be the flat out presidential nominee but for "electability"
Bullets -> Wizards
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1346 » by Wizardspride » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1347 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 pm

pancakes3 wrote:the sexism at play is that deep down, americans know that warren should just be the flat out presidential nominee but for "electability"

I really wish she was the VP nominee and got to create and manage "the plan".
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1348 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1349 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:30 pm

No way he could read and comprehend that - so I guess that is as good a defense as any...
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#1350 » by doclinkin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 pm

OBAMA WORE A TAN SUIT!!!!!
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#1351 » by gtn130 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:25 pm

quite the weekend for our **** president. allowing russians to have US troops killed and retweeting white power videos.

Nate loves this!
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1352 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:33 pm

gtn130 wrote:quite the weekend for our **** president. allowing russians to have US troops killed and retweeting white power videos.

Nate loves this!

I am hoping Nate has now figured this out. I hope he votes for Biden or just doesn't vote.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#1353 » by dobrojim » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:43 pm

Pointgod wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:I think you're misunderstanding. With Biden, none of that stuff sticks anyway. This isn't about Trump. It's about voters as a group and the most ridiculous stuff sticks to women and minorities in ways it simply doesn't for others.

This whole idea about "if not for one thing then..." is ridiculous. The whole emails thing, the fantastical pedo pizza basement, if it wasn't one thing it would have been another. The kinds of double standards quietly applied by voters play out pretty shockingly at this point. Not shocking in that they exist but shocking in just how obvious they are by the results. The argument about "the candidate" hides a lot of stuff would-be Democratic voters would rather not own.

I agree with the bold here. It’s obvious that theres a clear double standard when it comes to white men that aren’t afforded to people of color and women. I think the 2020 polling shows that Joe Biden probably would have won in 2016 and I was saying the same thing as far back as a year ago.

I think where we differ is that I see Clinton as a fine candidate. She’s not just a standard Democratic candidate but standard political candidate from either party. People like Obama and Bill Clinton are really rare unicorns that don’t come along very often. Clinton ran a standard campaign, she just ran into the perfect storm of **** regarding Russian meddling, Comey announcing the investigation, Wikileaks, DNC conspiracy theories, **** media coverage. 538 had Trumps probability of winning the election at 30%. That’s 1 in 3. It shouldn’t have come as a surprise. The perfect candidate will never exist so the it’s up to the electorate to turnout for the party over an individual.

She would have been a decent POTUS but for the fact she could never get elected due
to the public impression of her. If she couldn't beat tRump...(even with all the various
headwinds she encountered).

Slight correction, I think 538 had his winning probability slightly lower than that.
On the eve of the election, I think they had it 72-28.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#1354 » by dobrojim » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:52 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/25/what-charles-bookers-run-tells-us-about-2020-election/

Not a very flattering view of McGrath painted here. Results Tuesday but I kinda feel
like maybe Booker would be the stronger candidate. Very likely in fact. And wouldn't
that just be perfect if he knocked off #moscowmitch.

Stay tuned

Booker’s come-from-behind campaign became a powerful way for millennials and others to channel their outrage about racism into a constructive political response. Alumni of Sen. Bernie Sanders’s campaign engaged in the race, activating their network. Booker — as people in Kentucky who had seen him in the legislature knew — has the warm, pulpit-ready personality to handle a bigger stage.

Booker adopted much of the Sanders agenda — Medicare-for-all, Green New Deal, universal basic income, path to citizenship and more — but on the campaign trail and in his late-arriving ads he sounded more like an old-school, kitchen-table Democrat advocating government action on health care and jobs that would help people “from the hood to the holler.”

He kept that promise, riding his bus into eastern Kentucky, where residents suffer from opioid addiction, covid-19-induced recession and the steady loss of coal jobs. Stories of his battle with diabetes helped him connect emotionally with folks who needed medication and health care and had neither. “He drew good crowds in the mountains,” said Matt Jones, a popular sports talk show host. “Voters appreciate it when you show up.”
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,629

Post#1355 » by Pointgod » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:30 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
Pointgod wrote:I think where we differ is that I see Clinton as a fine candidate. She’s not just a standard Democratic candidate but standard political candidate from either party. People like Obama and Bill Clinton are really rare unicorns that don’t come along very often. Clinton ran a standard campaign, she just ran into the perfect storm of **** regarding Russian meddling, Comey announcing the investigation, Wikileaks, DNC conspiracy theories, **** media coverage. 538 had Trumps probability of winning the election at 30%. That’s 1 in 3. It shouldn’t have come as a surprise. The perfect candidate will never exist so the it’s up to the electorate to turnout for the party over an individual.

What actually makes Bill and Obama special, though? Let's break it down. I think they're both very different candidates in general. Hillary isn't the dreamer Obama was but Bill was far closer to Biden in general. Hillary was probably more competent at the work side of things than either, and while she was definitely a hawk for the military was also definitely more progressive than either of them.

People just found reasons not to like Hillary. They didn't find reasons not to like Bill. They found reasons not to like Obama, too, but it wasn't on a big enough scale and the turnouy he drove was absolutely massive. The Democratic party is better than the Republicans on this front but still looks the other way with certain popular old men for political reasons. And it's a political symptom because of a social problem. The US (and Canada) are arguably among the better countries for women's rights but also among the least likely to vote for a woman to run the country.

Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are both very gifted at connecting to people. I’ve read accounts of people who have worked and met them, they’re not our typical politicians. They both ran an energizing campaign that made you believe that the possibilities were endless. Put aside the policies because I believe that’s detached from how people see candidates, but Clinton was leading a Democratic Party coming off of 3 straight losses and managed to push the party in a new direction. Same thing for Obama, they were able to inspire people and it’s a reason they still have a lot of popularity.

My point is that for some reason Democratic voters have been conditioned to believe that you candidates need to inspire while the reality is that you’re choosing someone who at least has two of the three qualities competence, experience and temperament. Hillary had to face mountains of sexism and 30 years of Republican propaganda yet she lost by a fluke. 80000 across 3 states in a year where 4 million people who voted for Obama in 2012 didn’t bother to show up. I don’t think it’s some huge indictment on Hillary or how she ran the campaign but rather voter apathy, a combination of forces out of her control and the general misinformation of the electorate.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1356 » by Pointgod » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:33 pm

gtn130 wrote:quite the weekend for our **** president. allowing russians to have US troops killed and retweeting white power videos.

Nate loves this!

I’m waiting for Popper to chime in that he doesn’t agree with Trump’s “temperament” but the Democratic option is worse.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#1357 » by Pointgod » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:41 pm

dobrojim wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/25/what-charles-bookers-run-tells-us-about-2020-election/

Not a very flattering view of McGrath painted here. Results Tuesday but I kinda feel
like maybe Booker would be the stronger candidate. Very likely in fact. And wouldn't
that just be perfect if he knocked off #moscowmitch.

Stay tuned

Booker’s come-from-behind campaign became a powerful way for millennials and others to channel their outrage about racism into a constructive political response. Alumni of Sen. Bernie Sanders’s campaign engaged in the race, activating their network. Booker — as people in Kentucky who had seen him in the legislature knew — has the warm, pulpit-ready personality to handle a bigger stage.

Booker adopted much of the Sanders agenda — Medicare-for-all, Green New Deal, universal basic income, path to citizenship and more — but on the campaign trail and in his late-arriving ads he sounded more like an old-school, kitchen-table Democrat advocating government action on health care and jobs that would help people “from the hood to the holler.”

He kept that promise, riding his bus into eastern Kentucky, where residents suffer from opioid addiction, covid-19-induced recession and the steady loss of coal jobs. Stories of his battle with diabetes helped him connect emotionally with folks who needed medication and health care and had neither. “He drew good crowds in the mountains,” said Matt Jones, a popular sports talk show host. “Voters appreciate it when you show up.”

Well as of now Booker is polling 14 points behind McConnell while McGrath is 20 points behind him so I don’t expect either of them to win. If Booker won it would be a good test to see just how popular Progressive policies are in red states since he’s pretty much aligned to Bernie, AOC etc.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1358 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:46 pm

[list=][/list]
dckingsfan wrote:

Nate loves this!

I am hoping Nate has now figured this out. I hope he votes for Biden or just doesn't vote.

Nate hasn't "figured" anything out.

He's going to support the candidate who aligns most closely to his (white nationalist) views .
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1359 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:50 pm

Pointgod wrote:

Nate loves this!

I’m waiting for Popper to chime in that he doesn’t agree with Trump’s “temperament” but the Democratic option is worse.

Yep.

There's no "the other side is worse".

Either you support this traitor or you don't.....
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1360 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Return to Washington Wizards