Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

What is Aaron Gordon’s trade value in 2020 draft pick?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:28 pm

Top 6 FRP
9%
#7 Overall
2%
#8 Overall
6%
#9 Overall
1%
#10 Overall
14%
#11 Overall
No votes
#12 Overall
7%
#13 Overall
1%
#14 Overall
20%
#15 Or Higher (please state your specific value in thread)
39%

Total votes: 85

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#41 » by Village Idiot » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:12 pm

Skybox wrote:
Sad to watch Dame circling the drain. He's so damn good. If only he had some help up front. Maybe Collins is the guy. Hang on another year and another.
Conference finals last year without Nurkic in the playoffs is better than 26 teams managed. Injuries decimated the Blazers this season. 21 different starting line-ups in 66 games tell the story. Anthony Tolliver, Nassir Little, Gary Trent Jr., Wenyen Gabriel, Skal Labissiere, Caleb Swanigan and Mario Hezonja all started games for us :banghead:
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,521

Post#42 » by HartfordWhalers » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Orlando is such a weird spot.

They have the vets to stay 8th seed (Vuc/Fournier/Ross/Ag)
They have half a young core anyway (Fultz??/Isaac/Bamba?)

I think they are the team that keeps staying in 1 step forward, 1 back; eventually move Vuc but only when Bamba is more ready; and stay an 8th seed with more upside than you expect (or an upside team with more current success than you would expect).

As much as I am a fan of jump one side or the other and burn it all down if it isn't good... (cough Chicago)... I think Orlando is in the spot to wait for a (mild) overpay with AG or just keep doing what they have been.

I do like AG on Portland (14 and filler) or Minn (16 +2 2nds and filler). I really like the trades hat rope in Oubre to Orlando, ___ to Phx, and Ag to ____.

AG feels to me like the guy that will be in a ton of 2nd tier news breaker* trade rumors.... and yet not traded again this offseason.

*The guys who aren't bad but aren't Woj and Shams....but have solid national followings and aren't hacks.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,337

Post#43 » by JRoy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:16 pm

Skybox wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Skybox wrote:AG-bashing is fun but's it way overblown...he's got flaws in his game but he's still a very good player. If he could shoot 3's at 35% with 4 attempts a game, it'd be a whole different picture...well that's what he did last season. Not a spot up sharpshooter, not specifically a rim-protector, not a wizard ball handler...but he's very good at a lot of things.

He's 24 years old, over the last 3 seasons, he averaged 16ppg, 7.6 rpg, 3.2 apg in a largely dysfunctional role. He's got as great a physical profile as any in the league at a spring-loaded 6'8 at 220 lbs with a 7' wingspan. He's played for a handful of coaches and systems in his years in ORL, so his job description (because he's potentially capable) has been a moving target. He's extremely agile and accepts the toughest defensive assignments every night, guarding 1-4 (Isaac is acknowledged as DPOY candidate but, to be fair, Isaac gets to opportunistically roam a bit while AG locks horns with stars all night). He signed a descending deal which peaks at just below $20m this season, $18.1 next, $16.4 in 21-22.
He routinely seeks and makes highlight reel plays which puts asses in the seats and ignites momentum and the crowd.

This season the Magic tried to force-feed him in the post and it wasn't pretty. When he gathers the ball on the perimeter and tries to make something from nothing, it isn't pretty. Put him on a team with a clearer offensive hierarchy and a more limited role and I could see him going nuts. ORL, as an apparent rule, concedes any offensive rebounding to get back on D. I think a team that would gamble to unleash AG on the offensive glass would have Rodman-like possession +/- mixed with Dominique-like poster put-backs every night. Hand him the ball in a plodding half-court set and say "lead us" and you get what you've seen. Let him fill lanes with a team that rips and runs, and you get a poster factory.

Show me the rookie that will produce what he does, numbers-wise, defensively, either way. If you need a spot-up 3 guy, draft him. But I don't see a lot of guys who will be more complete than AG. Obviously, a draftee is cost-controlled but, nowadays it's a fact, this year more than ever, that the draft is a crapshoot. The 3 top guys in the draft have huge bust potential. If your team is a contender or has an aging and/or disgruntled star who needs help, an 18 year old with "upside" is a lot dicier than AG. In Orl, the top 4 players swap ranking nearly every night. If AG was on a team with clear star authority, IMO, he'd be like an Igoudala, Marion, Draymond level contributor...you can see his stats are respectable but his contribution could exceed the stats.

I could write a similar critical post of AG because he's not a star but the facts stated are true and my point is only that he's far from a scrub or a bad contract. I've probably posted more AG trades than anyone here but I'm now more interested in moving Vuc, finding an Alpha scorer somehow and letting AG and Isaac run with Fultz and continue to terrorize defensively...keep your crappy picks. :D

Works for me!

Keep your Draymond in waiting ;)

Sad to watch Dame circling the drain. He's so damn good. If only he had some help up front. Maybe Collins is the guy. Hang on another year and another.

If only Lillard could find a savior like AG.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,638

Post#44 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:38 pm

JRoy wrote:
Skybox wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Works for me!

Keep your Draymond in waiting ;)

You don't do this either.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#45 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:43 pm

jjohns828 wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:
jjohns828 wrote:
In most drafts I might agree that it makes sense but I dislike this draft class enough that I'd rather trade out of it than add a pick in the same range our own pick will be in.

To Magic: Culver + Vanderbilt + #33

To Memphis: JJ + Evans + #16

To Wolves: A. Gordon + Winslow (or Brooks)

Now, this is Wolves going all-in, and not sure they are willing to move on from Culver after one year, but????

Magic get a little more value than #16 by way of what is Culver who was drafted #6 overall.

Memphis takes another chance in the draft.

I would say in a vacuum it's probably fair value but I'm skeptical of Culver being a good fit. His 3-pt shooting problems this year makes me worried he'll never be a good enough shooter to replace Fournier in a backcourt pairing with Fultz, who I still believe in as our starting PG.

Kind of the point of that trade scenario. If Culver was polished, better shooter, but didn’t make you skeptical due to his flaws — he wouldn’t be on the block for AG. Magic in this scenario get the 2nd year player and develop his upside. As is, I am not sure Wolves do this because they may see a lot more in Culver and moving him is DOA.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,577

Post#46 » by Skybox » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:46 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Skybox wrote:

You don't do this either.

I'd LOVE to watch AG able to play off of a Dame/CJ tandem. Or a KD/Kyrie lineup. No question AG can't carry a team but I just think he'd be awesome in a clear supporting role that suits his exceptional talents.

My defense of AG is not fanboy blindness. You don't get him to lead your team. You add him to a complementary lineup and I think he's a much stronger piece than people are crediting him for. It's like he's trying out for your team at the All-Star 3pt contest. ORL doesn't have those kind of complementary pieces -unless Fultz takes (another) giant step. If Fultz shoots 3's at a 38% clip and scores 22ppg, lookout for AG on the wing.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#47 » by JRoy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:50 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
jjohns828 wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:To Magic: Culver + Vanderbilt + #33

Now, this is Wolves going all-in, and not sure they are willing to move on from Culver after one year, but????

Magic get a little more value than #16 by way of what is Culver who was drafted #6 overall.

I would say in a vacuum it's probably fair value but I'm skeptical of Culver being a good fit. His 3-pt shooting problems this year makes me worried he'll never be a good enough shooter to replace Fournier in a backcourt pairing with Fultz, who I still believe in as our starting PG.

Kind of the point of that trade scenario. If Culver was polished, better shooter, but didn’t make you skeptical due to his flaws — he wouldn’t be on the block for AG. Magic in this scenario get the 2nd year player and develop his upside. As is, I am not sure Wolves do this because they may see a lot more in Culver and moving him is DOA.

Too soon to tell with Culver.

He’s got some tools but his shot is iffy. I don’t think MIN moves him without an all star type talent in return.

I like JC but fit is an issue.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
jjohns828
Bench Warmer
And1: 515

Post#48 » by jjohns828 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pm

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
jjohns828 wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:To Magic: Culver + Vanderbilt + #33

I get that, which is why I said in a vacuum it's fair, it just that for me personally I'm skeptical enough that I wouldn't do it, but I wasn't a big fan of Culver coming out of college in the first place. It's a fair trade proposal just not one that I would except if I was the decision maker for the Magic, but I could also see why a Magic fan who believes more in Culver than me would disagree.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#49 » by JRoy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:56 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:Orlando is such a weird spot.

I think they are the team that keeps staying in 1 step forward, 1 back; eventually move Vuc but only when Bamba is more ready; and stay an 8th seed with more upside than you expect (or an upside team with more current success than you would expect).

I really, really like Bamba and JI. I think those are excellent foundational pieces for a 10 year playoff run in ORL, but they need a real upgrade at guard.

Fultz believers think he is the future at pg but I am skeptical considering his rough start as an nba player.

Hoping for big things in ORL but Vooch and Fournier need to go.

As much as I am a fan of jump one side or the other and burn it all down if it isn't good... (cough Chicago)... I think Orlando is in the spot to wait for a (mild) overpay with AG or just keep doing what they have been.

I do like AG on Portland (14 and filler) or Minn (16 +2 2nds and filler). I really like the trades hat rope in Oubre to Orlando, ___ to Phx, and Ag to ____.

AG feels to me like the guy that will be in a ton of 2nd tier news breaker* trade rumors.... and yet not traded again this offseason.

*The guys who aren't bad but aren't Woj and Shams....but have solid national followings and aren't hacks.
Edrees wrote:

NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,298

Post#50 » by NotACat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:00 pm

Don't forget Chuma Okeke. I think Orlando is just staying competitive to let the young players develop and taste the playoffs. Vets should age out by the time their young players can step up
Black Lives Matter
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,577

Post#51 » by Skybox » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 pm

NotACat wrote:

Don't forget Chuma Okeke. I think Orlando is just staying competitive to let the young players develop and taste the playoffs. Vets should age out by the time their young players can step up

Agree and I'd say that redundancies aside, AG could be in either one of those categories (above)...I don't think he'd be even talked about on the trade boards if Isaac hadn't emerged the way he has. I consider ORL to have an abundance of very good role players, so some may be available...doesn't equate to dumping them because they're scrubs.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#52 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:23 pm

depends on if ORL is willing to eat a bad deal to get rid of him...
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,580

Post#53 » by NYG » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:50 pm

jjohns828 wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:I will post it here because it has been posted so many times on RGM...

Wolves Trade:
JJ (expiring)

FOR

A. Gordon
Magic Trade:

And if push came to shove, I think Wolves throw in #33 OR Vanderbilt OR Evans.

Trade makes just too much sense for both teams.

In most drafts I might agree that it makes sense but I dislike this draft class enough that I'd rather trade out of it than add a pick in the same range our own pick will be in.

I actually think while this draft lacks a true Tier 1 or Tier 2 that most drafts have, the middle-late first round and second round has way better and deeper value than most drafts.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#54 » by ChettheJet » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:05 pm

I'd put him at 17-22. He's at his peak or maybe even has peaked. He's not going to develop his game and become an all star. What he's shown is he can score on a bad team, and lottery teams don't need to add a highly paid veteran. If he was dealt to a team aiming for the Finals, would any of them think he was the final piece of the puzzle to get them there? I don't think so.

An awful lot of proposed trades send him to the Bulls with some wing from ORL because his salary matches up with Lavine but that would sure set the Bulls back for a long time. Reality is the he signed a contract and it was hoped he would be the #2-3 guy and be the reason his team got deep in the playoffs. They were wrong and ORL just has to take the hit because other teams don't feel obligated to help them out of their mistake, they can gamble on signing somebody else.
scottyg
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#55 » by scottyg » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:38 pm

3 way trade with Chicago and SA,

Bulls get - Aaron Gordon + Patty Mills

Magic get- Demar Derozan

SA gets - Otto Porter + Tomas Satoransky
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#56 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm

BOS gives: F Gordon Hayward, C Enes Kanter, C Vincent Poirier, #26 pick, #30 pick
BOS gets: F Aaron Gordon

ORL gives: F Aaron Gordon, F Al-Faroq-Aminu, C Khem Birch
ORL gets: F Gordon Hayward, #30 pick, future protected second rounders from DET & POR

DET gives: "imaginary" draft pick
DET gets: F Al-Faroq Aminu, C Enes Kanter, C Vincent Poirier, #26 pick

POR gives: future protected 2nd rounder
POR gets: C Khem Birch (taken into trade exception)

Celtics get a nice fit at PF alongside Brown/Tatum and shed salary to get below the luxury tax. This deal frees them up to also use the full MLE on either Aron Baynes or Marc Gasol as a defensive stretch 5 to offset Gordon's shooting.

Magic get a better fit for their roster at SF. Hayward could walk, but then the Magic cleared about $27M off their cap next year in Gordon/Aminu. They could probably move Gordon for an expiring plus a higher 1st but this deal gives them a big boost for at least one year. Hayward fits well in a point forward/scoring role there.

DET gets a first for taking on about $15M this year and $10M next year. Basically a Tony Snell type deal like they made with MIL last year. This is contingent on there being cap room to still sign Christian Wood.

Portland gets a solid defensive backup center for $3M. This lets them have Collins play his minutes at the 4 and not as much backing up the 5 so they don't open up a hole.

This is all assuming that Hayward opts into his final year and refuses to waive his trade kicker that would take him up to maximum salary assuming a cap stays flat. If Hayward opts in but agrees to waive the trade kicker (idea being that he goes to a place where he can be a bigger focal point of the offense before free agency), then ORL doesn't need to send Birch. So cut POR out.

If Hayward opts out but agrees to a long term deal with ORL via S&T, then ORL doesn't send Aminu so cut Detroit out. Boston still looks to do a salary dump deal but would only need to move $5M of salary so the trade becomes less expensive.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#57 » by drosereturn » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:34 pm

ChettheJet wrote:I'd put him at 17-22. He's at his peak or maybe even has peaked. He's not going to develop his game and become an all star. What he's shown is he can score on a bad team, and lottery teams don't need to add a highly paid veteran. If he was dealt to a team aiming for the Finals, would any of them think he was the final piece of the puzzle to get them there? I don't think so.

An awful lot of proposed trades send him to the Bulls with some wing from ORL because his salary matches up with Lavine but that would sure set the Bulls back for a long time. Reality is the he signed a contract and it was hoped he would be the #2-3 guy and be the reason his team got deep in the playoffs. They were wrong and ORL just has to take the hit because other teams don't feel obligated to help them out of their mistake, they can gamble on signing somebody else.

I would love to deal Lavine for AG also think its a trade matched in heaven. Like what kind of players exactly make the same salary and play similar level? Gordon is the better dunker, way better defender, and provides more versatility as a wing which is what todays NBA is all about. Tier 1 Clippers they have 2 better versions of AG in KL and PG. AG at least can give them a run matchup wise.

You put defenders like Gordon, Issaac around Lauri and Lauri can put up 30-10 every game so he can focus on the offense.
For a great player like Lauri, you need to make sacrifices and Butler, Lavine can come back as FAs if they really like the team.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#58 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:56 pm

JRoy wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:
jjohns828 wrote:

Too soon to tell with Culver.

He’s got some tools but his shot is iffy. I don’t think MIN moves him without an all star type talent in return.

I like JC but fit is an issue.

what? he is unproven reagrdless of upside. they would not expect to get an all star type return or even close.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,716

Post#59 » by gswhoops » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 pm

Said #14 but really more like 14-20
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,716