Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part II] Ja v Zion

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ja vs Zion, Who Ya Got?

Ja
74%
Zion
22%
Other
4%

Total votes: 193

HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,733

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part II] Ja v Zion 

Post#61 » by HotelVitale » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:07 am

Hmm, those numbers have Zion destroying Ja. Ja shows up as a pretty average player in the stats--17/4/7 on average efficiency and weak defensive numbers (plus an assist:TO that's barely above 2:1)--while Zion's strengths are way above average. 23/7/2 on terrific efficiency is the much better stat line, especially because there are a few things that are elite or near it--which by definition are rare commodities and thus much more valuable than anything average. And all the advanced stats are in Zion's favor, sometimes drastically: he crushes him in BPM, showing up as a top-30 guy while Ja is down around 100, his net rating is 6 pts higher, like 70% better in win shares per minute. The only thing than Ja wins here is the stats that count on how many games+total minutes you've played, otherwise this is a straight flush for Zion.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#62 » by drosereturn » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:24 pm

Number wise Zions just destroys Ja out of the water.
I am curious that due to covid, Zion might have a legit case since no one gets to play 82.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#63 » by Dacost » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:07 pm

To me Zion could be a shaq like player that is unstoppable downlow or a Zack Randolph/Blake Griffin Type that's limited by his position and injury risk.

Right now I think he is more of a Blake Griffin type dude can't dripple/shot or pass at a high Lvl and I don't known how far running over People is going to get him.

With Ja point Guards with his skills are kind of easy to find we get one every draft.But that doesn't mean every one has one being able to run and lead a team at point guard position still gives teams ALOT of value since thet control the tempo and ball for most of the game.
lilswift01
Rookie
And1: 927

Post#64 » by lilswift01 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:44 pm

For people mentioning Ja will be more valuable because of being a primary ball handler, i would say that Zion has just as much potential on that end. He has very tight ball handling and good playmaking skills already. I can see him develop that aspect of his game where he can comfortably get his own shot at the end of games or create for someone else. He already has the vision.
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#65 » by Crizzle » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Dacost wrote:To me Zion could be a shaq like player that is unstoppable downlow or a Zack Randolph/Blake Griffin Type that's limited by his position and injury risk.

Right now I think he is more of a Blake Griffin type dude can't dripple/shot or pass at a high Lvl and I don't known how far running over People is going to get him.

With Ja point Guards with his skills are kind of easy to find we get one every draft.But that doesn't mean every one has one being able to run and lead a team at point guard position still gives teams ALOT of value since thet control the tempo and ball for most of the game.

hyper athletic scoring playmaking PGs every draft? lol
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,644

Post#66 » by VanWest82 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:24 pm

The Return of Zion.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29353177/the-nba-kept-zion-williamson-play-ready-put-show

While other NBA players started working out in their home markets this week to prepare for training camp, Zion Williamson never left.

The New Orleans Pelicans' rookie phenom has been a regular at the team's facility throughout the hiatus, one of several players the league granted exceptions to allow them to rehab injuries under the supervision of team trainers to avoid any setbacks. All team facilities were closed on March 20, nine days after the season was suspended because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

"Zion has been diligent about taking care of himself," said David Griffin, the Pelicans' executive vice president of basketball operations. "He's in a good space physically and mentally."

Another team source went a step further.

"He's going to shock some people," the source said.

Hopefully this means we're going to get Duke Zion from an athletic and energy standpoint. He's a generational stud when he's in shape.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#67 » by The_Hater » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:44 pm

lilswift01 wrote:For people mentioning Ja will be more valuable because of being a primary ball handler, i would say that Zion has just as much potential on that end. He has very tight ball handling and good playmaking skills already. I can see him develop that aspect of his game where he can comfortably get his own shot at the end of games or create for someone else. He already has the vision.

Zion’s handling and passing for a player of his size and athletic ability is definitely one of the reasons he is such a highly rated prospect. Barkley also had those skills and he’s a top 20 all time player.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,946
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#68 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:22 am

Dacost wrote:To me Zion could be a shaq like player that is unstoppable downlow or a Zack Randolph/Blake Griffin Type that's limited by his position and injury risk.

ZIon came out of the gate fresh off an injury scoring at a rate and at an efficiency from the field that Randolph and Griffin have never matched at any points in their long careers.

He's just a lot of calibers ahead as a physical talent, and he's just a flat out better scorer as a teenager than either were even close to being.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,536

Post#69 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:38 pm

Never understand why people ignore the most obvious Zion comp --- Amare. Yes there are differences physically and a bit in their games, but at the core both were dominant scorers based primarily on their physicality and neither of them rebound or defend anywhere near the level their physical gifts would have allowed.

For Zion to truly reach MVP level, he's got to make significant growth in other areas of his game other than scoring. He's super young so of course he can. Will be up to the Hornets organization to hold him accountable if they want him to reach that potential. They never held AD accountable which is part of why he never became the transcendent player we thought we were getting.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#70 » by The_Hater » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:48 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Never understand why people ignore the most obvious Zion comp --- Amare. Yes there are differences physically and a bit in their games, but at the core both were dominant scorers based primarily on their physicality and neither of them rebound or defend anywhere near the level their physical gifts would have allowed.

For Zion to truly reach MVP level, he's got to make significant growth in other areas of his game other than scoring. He's super young so of course he can. Will be up to the Hornets organization to hold him accountable if they want him to reach that potential. They never held AD accountable which is part of why he never became the transcendent player we thought we were getting.

Not sure I see it. Amare was athetic and a great post scorer and roll man but he wasn’t a particularly good passer or ballhandler. He was also very good at using his height and quickness moreso than his power.

I still see Barkley and Griffin mostly.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,568

Post#71 » by MemphisX » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:50 am

Zion is an entirely different animal. There really isn't a good comp for me. I think he will be the first and last of his type. Just an impossible physical specimen with a very good skill level.

Can't wait to see more of him.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,375

Post#72 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:35 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:

ZIon came out of the gate fresh off an injury scoring at a rate and at an efficiency from the field that Randolph and Griffin have never matched at any points in their long careers.

He's just a lot of calibers ahead as a physical talent, and he's just a flat out better scorer as a teenager than either were even close to being.

well said. Zion did things in his first 20 games (19?) in the league that most of us younger than 55 or so have never seen before from a rookie.
J___Av
Junior
And1: 454

Post#73 » by J___Av » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:44 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Never understand why people ignore the most obvious Zion comp --- Amare. Yes there are differences physically and a bit in their games, but at the core both were dominant scorers based primarily on their physicality and neither of them rebound or defend anywhere near the level their physical gifts would have allowed.

Zion was out of shape coming back from injury. He played in bursts of energy, usually saved for offense. If he gets back to his Duke shape you will see his defense more like his Duke days (third in defensive player of the year voting). His motor was non stop at Duke
Marchesk
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#74 » by Marchesk » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:They never held AD accountable which is part of why he never became the transcendent player we thought we were getting.

That's pretty unfair to AD. The organization didn't put the talent around him to do better. He's a big in a league that hugely favors perimeter players. But AD is the best big over the past six years, and has put up close to MVP level stats several times. His biggest issue is staying healthy the entire season, in addition to not having a complete roster. Have AD start out with this year's Pelicans roster, and NO would be second best team in the conference. We see what kind of impact AD can have when he has Lebron as teammate.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#75 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:02 pm

I mean before the draft Zion was still in his own tier, but Ja already proved as a rookie he was in the same tier imo. and he played while Zion was out. Ja easily deserves it. I can't wait until Ja goes off if the Bubble doesn't burst.
This is from a huge beleiver in Zion being a potentially generational level player if his body holds up
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#76 » by Crizzle » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:22 pm

Stillwater wrote:I mean before the draft Zion was still in his own tier, but Ja already proved as a rookie he was in the same tier imo. and he played while Zion was out. Ja easily deserves it. I can't wait until Ja goes off if the Bubble doesn't burst.
This is from a huge beleiver in Zion being a potentially generational level player if his body holds up

Zion being so awesome has some what overshadowed how awesome Ja has been as well. Its so exciting two guys coming into the league who are already showing they are not only great players, but unique players
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Post#77 » by The Lazy Potato » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:27 am

I wanted to vote for Ben Simmons but there isn't an option on the poll.. :(
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,733

Post#78 » by HotelVitale » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:04 am

The_Hater wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Never understand why people ignore the most obvious Zion comp --- Amare. Yes there are differences physically and a bit in their games, but at the core both were dominant scorers based primarily on their physicality and neither of them rebound or defend anywhere near the level their physical gifts would have allowed. For Zion to truly reach MVP level, he's got to make significant growth in other areas of his game other than scoring. He's super young so of course he can. Will be up to the Hornets organization to hold him accountable if they want him to reach that potential. They never held AD accountable which is part of why he never became the transcendent player we thought we were getting.
Not sure I see it. Amare was athetic and a great post scorer and roll man but he wasn’t a particularly good passer or ballhandler. He was also very good at using his height and quickness moreso than his power. I still see Barkley and Griffin mostly.

I don't see it either. Zion has that crazy power to knock you over and that crazy second jump. Amare was more of a rim regular runner/power dunker (though a really good one) who could hit short midrange shots too. Had a lot of straight-line to him that I don't see in Zion.

Maybe I'm just into the shiny new thing but he seems to be bringing a different type of power and agility with a higher ceiling.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#79 » by drosereturn » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:28 pm

The Lazy Potato wrote:I wanted to vote for Ben Simmons but there isn't an option on the poll.. :(

Yeah I just want to make Simmons win roy every year so he doesnt feel underappreciated and get special love.
Stupid Donovan Mitchell claiming roy broke Simmons heart.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,865

Post#80 » by Goudelock » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:22 pm

I do not understand why Mattisse Thybulle fell in the draft. He's so damn productive and disruptive, and he could get 15 minutes a game on literally any team in the NBA.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.

Return to The General Board