ImageImageImage

Who is your starting 5 in 20/21 opener?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Re: Who is your starting 5 in 20/21 opener? 

Post#41 » by a-French-Fan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:12 am

bjones521 wrote:PG - Lamelo Ball - Rose
SG - Kennard - Svi
SF - Snell - Svi
PF - Blake - Doumbouya
C - Wood - Maker

Drafting Ball, you can hide Kennard on PGs. I hope we Draft Ball! I think he can have the same impact as Luka with ball being 6'8

Ball would have same impact as Luka? I don't think we're living in the same world^^
Luka was Euroleague MVP, Ball chose a weak australian team. So I don't really think Ball has proved anything except that he avoided comparisons with is draft rivals Europe or NCAA. Of course he is a top pick, but Luka is a MVP potential and Can share the ball.
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#42 » by a-French-Fan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 am

SamFlow wrote:PG - Lamelo Ball - Rose
SG - Brown - Hayes
SF - SVI - Doumbouya
PF - Wood -
C - Wiseman -

perfect world would be Ball, Wiseman, and Hayes. In that order. :) That won't happen. But those are my three guys

Lamelo Ball and Killian Hayes together? There is only one ball on the ground you know ^^

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#43 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:07 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
SamFlow wrote:PG - Lamelo Ball - Rose
SG - Brown - Hayes
SF - SVI - Doumbouya
PF - Wood -
C - Wiseman -

perfect world would be Ball, Wiseman, and Hayes. In that order. :) That won't happen. But those are my three guys

Lamelo Ball and Killian Hayes together? There is only one ball on the ground you know ^^

Im confused how he managed to draft Wiseman, Ball, and Hayes in the same draft. Very impressive with only one pick.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#44 » by Crymson » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:10 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:Ball would have same impact as Luka? I don't think we're living in the same world^^
Luka was Euroleague MVP, Ball chose a weak australian team. So I don't really think Ball has proved anything except that he avoided comparisons with is draft rivals Europe or NCAA. Of course he is a top pick, but Luka is a MVP potential and Can share the ball.

Correct. Luka was already a phenom and an extremely complete player. He won MVP of the world's second-best basketball league at age 18. The NBL is not a good league and Ball is far from complete.

Also, the notion that a Ball-Kennard backcourt would be viable defensively holds no water at this point. Ball is both bad and unmotivated on defense, and that's in a weak league.

I feel like a lot of the fan perception of LaMelo is absolute hype.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#45 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:39 pm

Crymson wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:Ball would have same impact as Luka? I don't think we're living in the same world^^

Correct. Luka was already a phenom and an extremely complete player. He won MVP of the world's second-best basketball league at age 18. The NBL is not a good league and Ball is far from complete.

Also, the notion that a Ball-Kennard backcourt would be viable defensively holds no water at this point. Ball is both bad and unmotivated on defense, and that's in a weak league.

LaMelo is definitely talented and would be one of the best passers in the league out the gate but the flaws you mention are very real concerns.

I would be scared in his head he would already think hes bigger then franchise and not listen or ever try on defense.

But yeah if your taking him we would definitely need a good defender at the 2. Maybe have to try and sign a young guy like Malik Beasley for him to grow with.
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#46 » by a-French-Fan » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:27 pm

Crymson wrote:

I would not say he is a absoluted hype, he has real skills. I would say he took a safe path to be a top pick. I mean he was already under lights before he had to show its skills within a competitiveness environment. NCAA? I guess he had already contracts, so it was not an option. Europe? Find me a coach that would had launched him into a euroleague game. I mean euroleague prospects already played in the domestic pro league before euroleague (except Strazel with ASVEL this year for few minutes, but it was not ASVEL staff's plan at the beginning of the season).

He would had gone to eurocup, but it was still risky. When Ulm (a weak Eurocup team) welcomed Hayes, they knew that he had already a pro year, and knew reasons why it was so disappointing for him his firts pro year (but a lot of U18 players would had liked to play the same level and making the same stats). So, which Eurocup team would had hired a high school prospect?

Last point, if things go bad for the team in NBL, it doesn't matter, this a franchise system, not a championships where last teams may go down. (With such a risk for an organization, if things go bad, experience is preferred to young talents; that is what happened with Hayes in Cholet).

So Australia was the safest choice.

But Australian league may be a real choice to go pro instead of NCAA. I don't know why RJ Hampton didn't go to NCAA. But first it is easy to go abroad when your language is spoken every where you go, and secondly it is still a pro league. So he didn't have Ball's stats, but he played in a more competitive situation, his team was struggling for post-season whereas winning or losing was not a matter for Ball.

About no defense ... well I don't especially know australian league, but I saw the NT last summer. Between Australia and european teams, it was really opposite cultures. I mean it was like if over 100 points games was the first aim of the team! So, did he fit to australian's way of play or even for australians he did not defend? For this, only australian fans may answer.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#47 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:27 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
Crymson wrote:

I would not say he is a absoluted hype, he has real skills. I would say he took a safe path to be a top pick. I mean he was already under lights before he had to show its skills within a competitiveness environment. NCAA? I guess he had already contracts, so it was not an option. Europe? Find me a coach that would had launched him into a euroleague game. I mean euroleague prospects already played in the domestic pro league before euroleague (except Strazel with ASVEL this year for few minutes, but it was not ASVEL staff's plan at the beginning of the season).

He would had gone to eurocup, but it was still risky. When Ulm (a weak Eurocup team) welcomed Hayes, they knew that he had already a pro year, and knew reasons why it was so disappointing for him his firts pro year (but a lot of U18 players would had liked to play the same level and making the same stats). So, which Eurocup team would had hired a high school prospect?

Last point, if things go bad for the team in NBL, it doesn't matter, this a franchise system, not a championships where last teams may go down. (With such a risk for an organization, if things go bad, experience is preferred to young talents; that is what happened with Hayes in Cholet).

But Australian league may be a real choice to go pro instead of NCAA. I don't know why RJ Hampton didn't go to NCAA. But first it is easy to go abroad when your language is spoken every where you go, and secondly it is still a pro league. So he didn't have Ball's stats, but he played in a more competitive situation, his team was struggling for post-season whereas winning or losing was not a matter for Ball.

About no defense ... well I don't especially know australian league, but I saw the NT last summer. Between Australia and european teams, it was really opposite cultures. I mean it was like if over 100 points games was the first aim of the team! So, did he fit to australian's way of play or even for australians he did not defend? For this, only australian fans may answer.

I agree with you on Ball. He took the easy route where he would play and be the focal point. With that being said, I think Casey is a coach who can motivate and coach him to be more team oriented.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#48 » by flow » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:29 pm

DetroitDon15 wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:
Crymson wrote:

I agree with you on Ball. He took the easy route where he would play and be the focal point. With that being said, I think Casey is a coach who can motivate and coach him to be more team oriented.

Weaver's not interested in anybody who needs to be motivated. Ball is basically the antithesis of the type of player he's looking for.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#49 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:55 pm

flow wrote:
DetroitDon15 wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:

Weaver's not interested in anybody who needs to be motivated. Ball is basically the antithesis of the type of player he's looking for.
I hope that's true!

Ball lacks a lot of polish and while he might develop over time I question his work ethic and committment.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#50 » by 440BB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:15 pm

After finally moving out an inconsistently motivated Drummond the last thing I want to see is another questionable attitude.

The two things you can't teach are desire and speed. I expect Casey to coach around talent limitations but low motivation is a cancer IMO.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#51 » by Canadafan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:21 pm

PG-Rose
SG-Luke
SF-Sekou
PF-Blake
C-Wood

:D
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#52 » by NotACat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:35 am

Ball/Hayes
Luke
Svi
Blake
Wood
Black Lives Matter
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#53 » by jakebernat » Thu Jul 9, 2020 7:19 pm

Killian Hayes
Bruce Brown
Harrison Barnes
Christian Wood
Al Horford
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#54 » by Pharaoh » Thu Jul 9, 2020 9:41 pm

jakebernat wrote:Killian Hayes
Bruce Brown
Harrison Barnes
Christian Wood
Al Horford
Can you explain how you got Horford and Barnes?

jakebernat
Sixth Man

Post#55 » by jakebernat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
jakebernat wrote:Killian Hayes
Bruce Brown
Harrison Barnes
Christian Wood
Al Horford
Can you explain how you got Horford and Barnes?

Blake & Svi? for Corey Joseph, Harrison Barnes, & a pick

Rose, Kennard, & Snell for Horford & picks

I could absolutely see something like the philly trade happening, but moving Blake is gonna be tough no matter what.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#56 » by chrbal » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:52 pm

Kings trade is not horrible, I can’t see how the Philadelphia trade helps us
jakebernat
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by jakebernat » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:35 am

chrbal wrote:Kings trade is not horrible, I can’t see how the Philadelphia trade helps us

Horford is the kinda player where all it would take is a new team/situation to remind everyone of how good he actually is. he’s still a very good player. he’s just a horrible fit with philly with a bloated contract. his value would increase immensely with us, and philly also has a warchest of draft assets.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#58 » by Pharaoh » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:54 am

jakebernat wrote:
chrbal wrote:Kings trade is not horrible, I can’t see how the Philadelphia trade helps us

Horford is the kinda player where all it would take is a new team/situation to remind everyone of how good he actually is. he’s still a very good player. he’s just a horrible fit with philly with a bloated contract. his value would increase immensely with us, and philly also has a warchest of draft assets.
Agree that he's a poor fit in Philly but I think they got him hoping he could school Joel and Simmons on a whole load of things and it appears that hasn't worked.

Him being here would be very similar to Blake - without the injury issues! He's a true pro, leader, has had loads of success for a reason.

Horford + Wood gives us a inside/out duo up front and they can play extended minutes together without a issue.

Barnes? Not feeling that as I view him as a great "glue" guy that is insanely overpaid for what his role should be.

Think the Kings are extremely lucky to have Bagley, Buddy, Fox and Bogdano on their roster reducing Barnes to where he should be despite his salary which suggests he's a #2 or #3 option.

TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#59 » by TPA » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:57 am

jakebernat wrote:

He's 34 and making 27 mil for each of the next three seasons... I don't see how he fits into the short or long-term plan of this team, especially if we need to trade assets for him.
Hard pass.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#60 » by Manocad » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:38 pm

jakebernat wrote:

The problem there is that the team gets better. That doesn’t help right now. At this point in time 25 wins is better than 30.

Return to Detroit Pistons