Are the Clippers stacked and the favorites to win?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Re: Are the Clippers stacked and the favorites to win? 

Post#41 » by Drygon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:48 pm

Clippers with only 2 All-Stars + role players isn't really a stacked deck...

This isn't KD-Warriors, Showtime Lakers, 1980s Celtics.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#42 » by RRyder823 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:49 pm

NatiboyB wrote:Yes without a single doubt they have far too much depth along with 2 superstars and they have players who play hard like Pat Bev...I’d be extremely surprised if the clippers even lose 4 games total once the playoffs begin...of course with everyone bring healthy that is.

If thats the case the Bucks probably don't lose 3 the entire playoffs cause Middleton has been better the George this season, have depth to spare and actually have big men that can play.

So im going out on a limb and saying the math is off there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#43 » by mademan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:54 pm

People should watch the Clippers Bucks game in December. Im not sure a change in strategy will be enough to compete with the Bucks. They just dont have the size, and the Bucks have so many guards continuously attacking (Bled, Hill, Midds, DVV) and with Giannis coming at you, theyre bench staple of Lou/Harrell becomes a big liability defensively.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#44 » by Pennebaker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:50 am

iamtheking wrote:Looking at their roster, you have a healthy Kawhi, a healthy PG and a great supporting cast in Zubac, Beverley, Shamet, and Harrel. Then you got Lou, Reggie Jackson, Green and Morris coming off the bench.

They got lot of bodies to throw at Lebron as well and they got the lebron hater Noah on their team as well.

On top of that you got an experience coach that has won a ring before.

I think Clippers probably are the favorites to winning it, followed closely with Bucks and then Lakers a distant 3rd. I honestly don't see how any team can beat a healthy clippers team.

You lost me at "a healthy PG." He doesn't move the needle that much.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,790

Post#45 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:33 am

Winner isn't coming out of the west anyway.
itzmrgigglez
Junior
And1: 107

Post#46 » by itzmrgigglez » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:00 am

Defense wins championships. Clips winning it all
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#47 » by nzahir » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:13 am

itzmrgigglez wrote:Defense wins championships. Clips winning it all

Based on that thinking, Clippers won't win it all

They don't have a good enough team D to contain a guy like Giannis

Trez is a not a good defender

Zubac is a better defender vs a team like the Bucks, but he will let a guy like Brook get a ton of open 3s and an iso heavy team like Hou would run him off. Even Boston would switch guys and go at him

Lou and Shamet are going to get targeted

AD and Lebron can't be guarded either, but clippers will load up and its up to guys like DG, KCP, Caruso, Kuzma, Kieff, and maybe Dion or JR to hit shots
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#48 » by PKABOOICU » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:11 am

Im a Lakers fan and I think the Clippers have a deeper roster than the Lakers. The Lakers are very thin after Lebron and AD. The Clippers have 2 elite stars and then Lou Williams who can literally drop 50 any given night. Defensively, the Clippers are far superior.
DS17
Sixth Man
And1: 1,374

Post#49 » by DS17 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:43 am

Is Lou going to play in Orlando though?
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#50 » by Dupp » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:46 am

This break favours them more than the other two contenders. They weren’t getting home court anyway and kawhi needs as much recovery time as possible.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,790

Post#51 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 am

itzmrgigglez wrote:Defense wins championships. Clips winning it all

http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/teamstats/_/sort/defensiveEff/order/false
Dutchball97
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,860

Post#52 » by Dutchball97 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 am

The Bucks are the favorites imo. I have Clippers 2nd though. The Lakers can't rely on anyone outside of Bron/AD so I expect them to disappoint.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,795

Post#53 » by michaelm » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 am

Prokorov wrote:
iamtheking wrote:Looking at their roster, you have a healthy Kawhi, a healthy PG and a great supporting cast in Zubac, Beverley, Shamet, and Harrel. Then you got Lou, Reggie Jackson, Green and Morris coming off the bench.

They got lot of bodies to throw at Lebron as well and they got the lebron hater Noah on their team as well.

On top of that you got an experience coach that has won a ring before.

I think Clippers probably are the favorites to winning it, followed closely with Bucks and then Lakers a distant 3rd. I honestly don't see how any team can beat a healthy clippers team.

they wont win if george is healthy. they are worse than last years raps.

PG hurts that team. he is the anti-siakim

I agree, healthy or unhealthy PG is yet to prove much.
Smithers
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#54 » by Smithers » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:54 pm

Clips should be the favorites. They're deep & have the reigning finals MVP. Does anyone know if they're the actual betting favorites to win it all right now? It's gotta be either Clips/Lakers/Bucks because they're the only teams who have a shot this year.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#55 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:28 pm

I didn't think they could be favored in a series against the Lakers because they would have to play 7 road games. Now I think they probably are.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,175

Post#56 » by og15 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:34 pm

Stacked favorites? Really? Are you just downplaying the other teams, or? Are they one of the favorites? Of course, we've known that, but anyone that thinks it isn't close among the top teams is IMO being a bit delusional.

NCHeels2008 wrote:I wouldn't sleep on the Rockets against them, they're the type of team that can attack whoever Lou is guarding

Clippers have enough options to limit Lou's minutes of absolutely needed, and the Lakers can do the same thing in terms of picking on him, but the Rockets issue would be effectively defending the Clippers consistently over a whole series. Picking on Lou Williams isn't going to make their offense unbeatable or something, it would help, but that offense would still need to be better than the Clippers offense for 4 games, and I don't think their defense will be able to do that.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#57 » by Prokorov » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:34 pm

[*]
Smithers wrote:Clips should be the favorites. They're deep & have the reigning finals MVP. Does anyone know if they're the actual betting favorites to win it all right now? It's gotta be either Clips/Lakers/Bucks because they're the only teams who have a shot this year.

They are not. they are third behind the lakers and bucks. the rockets are a very distant 4th behind the top 3.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,296

Post#58 » by nickhx2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:37 pm

bucks still favorites, IMO.

but i do think the clippers have a lot of depth. the reggie jackson signing was huge for the team. the morris trade... not so much, but perhaps fully integrated he could actually start to provide positive impact.

what i will say is that the time off should prove really beneficial for the team overall. kawhi had an injury he was dealing with for a good part of the season and paul george wasn't too far removed from recovery himself. moreover, patrick beverley was dealing with a strain as well. so getting some restoration of health to those guys definitely is going to be a good thing for the team.
Smithers
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#59 » by Smithers » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:[*]
Smithers wrote:Clips should be the favorites. They're deep & have the reigning finals MVP. Does anyone know if they're the actual betting favorites to win it all right now? It's gotta be either Clips/Lakers/Bucks because they're the only teams who have a shot this year.

They are not. they are third behind the lakers and bucks. the rockets are a very distant 4th behind the top 3.

Thanks. Forgot about Houston- they're in the discussion as well.
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,451

Post#60 » by KrazyP » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:45 pm

The Clippers aren't stacked. They're something like 5-7 when Kawhi doesnt play. One man show.

The Raptors last year were stacked. They were 17-5 without Kawhi in 2018-19 and were flirting with 60 wins this year after losing Kawhi for nothing.

The field is wide open this year with no clearcut favourite and any one of 6-7 teams with a legit shot at the title. If you had to pick a favourite, I dont see how you dont pick the Bucks. Middleton has been better than Paul George, they have the leagues highest ranked D by a wide margin and have great team chemistry which is the result of having the same core in place for several years.

Return to The General Board