List: Covid19-Bois

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,396

Re: List: Covid19-Bois 

Post#201 » by Profound23 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:45 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's not science
MrGrim
Junior
And1: 293

Post#202 » by MrGrim » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:08 am

LKN wrote:Glad to see the posters on RealMD think they should be debating an actual RN working a Covid unit over their professional experience.

This place never gets old.

It's not my intent to be disrespectful, but the article the poster provided to back up his or her claim didn't describe a case of reinfection. That's not me interpreting the article; that's the direct reporting. It seems to me like the poster is confusing people who take a long time to clear the infection, which is a much documented and studied aspect of SARS-COV-2, with people who clear the infection, develop antibodies, and are then subsequently are reinfected following a new exposure, which is a hypothetical possibility but one that has yet to have been documented.

Believe me, I am not one of those who believe SARS-COV is "no big deal", or "just the seasonal flu". I am highly critical of the US under-response. That being said, I don't see any point in allowing misinformation to spread, regardless of whether that misinformation implies the disease is more or less scary in someone's mind.

Last, you are making assumptions about the background of posters here.

Anyway, here is a link to articles to a summary of what we know and don't know about SARS-COV 2 immunity at the moment:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/06/22/thoughts-on-antibody-persistence-and-the-pandemic

From the article:

So my advice is not to panic, but not to be complacent, either. The complexities of the immune system mean that we have a whole range of possible situations in how this pandemic is unfolding. At the most optimistic end, it is possible that a larger percentage of the population than we realize might already be protected (to some degree) from the coronavirus. Unfortunately, it’s also possible that almost everyone is, in fact, still vulnerable and that we just haven’t seen the virus run through most of the population yet. Everyone will have seen the various population surveys with antibody testing that have suggested, in most cases, that a rather small percentage of people have been exposed. Think of the various ways you could get such a result: (1) it’s just what it looks like, and most people are unprotected because they have so far been unexposed. (2) the antibody results are what they look like – low exposure – but people’s T-cell responses mean that there are actually more people protected than we realize. (3) the antibody results are deceiving, because (as this latest paper seems to show) the antibody response fades over time, meaning that more people have been exposed than it looks like. And that means you can split that into (3a) the antibody response fades, but the T-cell response is still protective and (3b) the antibody response fades and so does the T-cell response. That last one is not a happy possibility.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,353

Post#203 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:31 am

gipper08 wrote:
Eric Millegan wrote:
LKN wrote:
Imagine posting garbage like this after well over 100,000 people have died.

Over 100,000 Americans! About 5% death rate in U.S.

This is crazy.You are WRONG.

The CDC, of all people, one month ago said the IFR among SYMPTOMATIC cases is .4% and overall .26%,
Since then "cases" have skyrocketed and deaths have plummeted bringing the IFR EVEN LOWER. Get a clue.

Uh....no.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#204 » by dlts20 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:42 am

So Chandler is sitting out? Cool, no issues but it is kinda annoying to me that the 2 lead players advocating for a shutdown were 2 guys in Kyrie and Avery who weren't going to play anyways and the #1 guy to call out Perkins and come to Kyries defense was Chandler who also wasn't going to play. He knew that so he stood up for Kyrie to take the heat off himself. All 3 weren't going to play anyways but you tell the others to sit out over protest. Fake woke and that's not even including KD who also wasn't going to play but loves to comment
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,914

Post#205 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 am

GREY 1769 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Darn it, didn't see this earlier and started a thread on Parker.

But no, it's caught by aerosol. Heavy breathing/sweating/running will allow spread, and not wearing a mask with it and doing that is incredibly irresponsible.

I didn't get to the Parker thread before it got locked, but yes, I agree completely. He has a responsibility as a pro whose league is going to great lengths to protect players and personnel to show a modicum of respect for others and STAY THE BLOODY HELL HOME for a whopping 14 days. It's not. that. hard. I really do hope his team or the league reprimands him for his selfish and irresponsible choice. If nothing else, other teams can add this to the 'players don't get paid for defense' or whatever when choosing to pay free agents. Still hasn't grown up. One way or another it'll catch up with him.

p.s. Memo to JP from another player who took it lightly - https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258614/Rudy-Gobert-Says-Taste-Has-Returned-But-Smell-Is-Still-Not-100-perc

I will stay home for 14 days even if I don't have the stupid virus, because I hate people right now! People of all races we've turned into an Idiocracy watch the movie by the title!

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#206 » by bondom34 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:55 am

MrGrim wrote:
LKN wrote:Glad to see the posters on RealMD think they should be debating an actual RN working a Covid unit over their professional experience.

This place never gets old.

It's not my intent to be disrespectful, but the article the poster provided to back up his or her claim didn't describe a case of reinfection. That's not me interpreting the article; that's the direct reporting. It seems to me like the poster is confusing people who take a long time to clear the infection, which is a much documented and studied aspect of SARS-COV-2, with people who clear the infection, develop antibodies, and are then subsequently are reinfected following a new exposure, which is a hypothetical possibility but one that has yet to have been documented.

Believe me, I am not one of those who believe SARS-COV is "no big deal", or "just the seasonal flu". I am highly critical of the US under-response. That being said, I don't see any point in allowing misinformation to spread, regardless of whether that misinformation implies the disease is more or less scary in someone's mind.

Last, you are making assumptions about the background of posters here.

Anyway, here is a link to articles to a summary of what we know and don't know about SARS-COV 2 immunity at the moment:

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/06/22/thoughts-on-antibody-persistence-and-the-pandemic

From the article:

So my advice is not to panic, but not to be complacent, either. The complexities of the immune system mean that we have a whole range of possible situations in how this pandemic is unfolding. At the most optimistic end, it is possible that a larger percentage of the population than we realize might already be protected (to some degree) from the coronavirus. Unfortunately, it’s also possible that almost everyone is, in fact, still vulnerable and that we just haven’t seen the virus run through most of the population yet. Everyone will have seen the various population surveys with antibody testing that have suggested, in most cases, that a rather small percentage of people have been exposed. Think of the various ways you could get such a result: (1) it’s just what it looks like, and most people are unprotected because they have so far been unexposed. (2) the antibody results are what they look like – low exposure – but people’s T-cell responses mean that there are actually more people protected than we realize. (3) the antibody results are deceiving, because (as this latest paper seems to show) the antibody response fades over time, meaning that more people have been exposed than it looks like. And that means you can split that into (3a) the antibody response fades, but the T-cell response is still protective and (3b) the antibody response fades and so does the T-cell response. That last one is not a happy possibility.

FWIW, and don't want to speak for him I think his comment was more directed toward people more dismissive of it (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Your quote says it there a bit to me with 3b. If response fades, which we can't conclude for sure it doesn't given its a newer virus, it's bad. From all the reports I've read I tend to think it's possible and given someone else's experience as well side the same and think dismissing it as something that doesn't happen right now isn't a great idea. IIRC you work in medicine as well and I've enjoyed your input in these threads.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,568

Post#207 » by Sofia » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:13 am

Profound23 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's not science

But did he die? He’s not over 70 so who cares if he had Covid

President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,444

Post#208 » by ropjhk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Sofia wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's not science

But did he die? He’s not over 70 so who cares if he had Covid

Although his symptoms are mild it's still a reminder to everyone that COVID does more than just kill. I wish we would get more stats on hospitalizations as I feel that's almost as important as tracking deaths.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#209 » by Wilber85 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:17 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
gipper08 wrote:
Eric Millegan wrote:Over 100,000 Americans! About 5% death rate in U.S.

This is crazy.You are WRONG.

The CDC, of all people, one month ago said the IFR among SYMPTOMATIC cases is .4% and overall .26%,
Since then "cases" have skyrocketed and deaths have plummeted bringing the IFR EVEN LOWER. Get a clue.

Uh....no.

330 million people and 125k deaths. Do the math !
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#210 » by nedleeds » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:43 pm

CoP wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
LKN wrote:
Imagine posting garbage like this after well over 100,000 people have died.

You better stop making diarrhea jokes then. Far more people, and more children alone die from it than the Covids.

Diarrhea jokes? Let me ask you something, when you clicked "Submit" on this post, did you think it was relevant or clever in any way?

Neither. I learned enough math in 1st grade to make the comparison and think on my own about scale. The I thought about how you were catastrophizing and felt bad for you.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,353

Post#211 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
gipper08 wrote:This is crazy.You are WRONG.

Uh....no.

:lol:

Why would anyone base the death rate of a disease on the entire population including the healthy and not the sick. That's not how any health organization would quantify it.

OK, I did the MATH, mostly because I can even do it in my head to see how badly wrong you are. But you didn't do the math before typing this rubbish. If you did the math you would see it doesn't add up with the number you invented (?) and would be .0004 if you based it on the entire population, which nobody would.

So which is it.... you lying to just yourself or all of us? Or don't understand the situation at hand?
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#212 » by GTR11 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:49 pm

ShotCreator wrote:
Spoiler:
KrAzY3 wrote:
CoP wrote:No there isn't.

Yes there is, there are numerous incidents in which Covid was being written on the death certificate without any sort of proof it actually contributed to the death. In some cases it was pretty obviously not the cause of death. While I understand why, this was being determined as cause of death sometimes from a distance. That's not medically sound practice, but if you just start writing Covid on all the death certificates, it is a heck of a lot easier, especially when you have an elevated number of cases to deal with. That aside, my main point wasn't the number of deaths but the number relative to the actual number of people who caught the virus. Remember the original post mentioned how lethal the virus is.

GTR11 wrote:Many people die not because flu was main cause, they die because they also had something along that led their system to fail.

Since some people seem to think discussing things realistically is denying the existence or something, let me make my stance clear. The numbers are misleading in large part due to the fact that not everyone is tested. Basically every time they do mass testing on a group of healthy individuals, they find quite a few testing positive (I would add this means people in general are not being cautious enough). You can extrapolate that out to the general population and realize that there are a significant portion of the population that have the virus and no symptoms. I can point to my wife's workplace, where they've had several people test positive and no one seriously ill, I can point to my favorite college team where several players have tested positive once they got on campus, and none of them seemed aware they were ill.

So, we're at the point where if I go out and test 100 healthy people at random, I'm pretty much certain to find a few who have the virus. Those are not reflected in any of the numbers though, because they are only going with confirmed cases, not estimates. Since people might not be getting my main point, I'll just use some CDC info to explain what I'm getting at.

With the flu, the CDC provides estimates in their data: "CDC uses a mathematical model to estimate the numbers of influenza illnesses"

That's a big deal, because they are not just listing confirmed cases! So their rate of deaths for the flu is not off of confirmed cases, in fact they estimate less than half the people with the flu go to the hospital (so it will never be a confirmed case) and of those only a smaller percentage will be hospitalized, and of those only a smaller percentage will die from the illness. Most people who die from the flu, were on death's door to begin with so to speak. Unlike HIV which if unchecked will kill a perfectly healthy person, the odds of a perfectly healthy person dying of the flu are extremely low. And in terms of Covid, the odds of a perfectly healthy person dying from it also seem to be quite low. At risk people would be a whole other conversation.

So, anyway just going off the the way the CDC works their estimates of the flu, we can easily and comfortably estimate that at least twice as many people have Covid as have tested positive. Since people who are ill are being tested, it's pretty easy to conclude that the death rates relative to the infected population are lower than being reported, especially since there seem to be a lot of asymptomatic carriers. That doesn't mean it's not serious, that doesn't mean it's not bad, but this isn't some zombie virus that's going to be the end of all of us, unless you know, it mutates...
All that effort to post this nonsense and you ignore the insane spike of “pneumonia” deaths in every state of this country.

I have no problem with people like that. All I want is my union to protect me from them. I want them on DNR/DNI, just send ambulance when everything is over.
BladeDaywalker
Head Coach
And1: 8,760

Post#213 » by BladeDaywalker » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:49 am

Read on Twitter
The Picture of Dorian Gray

“He grew more and more enamoured of his own beauty, more and more interested in the corruption of his own soul.”
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#214 » by HiRez » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 am

DeAndre Jordan as noted above, and now Spencer Dinwiddie.
chyau.00
Starter
And1: 713

Post#215 » by chyau.00 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 am

for the "herd immunity"crowd, here is a link from a non-US news on why herd immunity may not work.

www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5629172
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,676

Post#216 » by alevirfe » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:16 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
Wilber85 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Uh....no.

:lol:

Why would anyone base the death rate of a disease on the entire population including the healthy and not the sick. That's not how any health organization would quantify it.

OK, I did the MATH, mostly because I can even do it in my head to see how badly wrong you are. But you didn't do the math before typing this rubbish. If you did the math you would see it doesn't add up with the number you invented (?) and would be .0004 if you based it on the entire population, which nobody would.

So which is it.... you lying to just yourself or all of us? Or don't understand the situation at hand?

to be fair we don't know the amount of people infected/cases because of how many people are likely asymptomatic
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#217 » by JohnPferdelack » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:02 am

Spencer Dinwiddie & DeAndre Jordan are the next ones with this virus.
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#218 » by Triples333 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:54 am

chyau.00 wrote:for the "herd immunity"crowd, here is a link from a non-US news on why herd immunity may not work.

www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5629172

What this is essentially saying is that the immune systems of the asymptomatic (the majority who have/had Covid) don't consider the virus a serious enough threat to maintain antibodies for it. Because for them it isn't. It's not the outcome you would like to see for the elderly, though.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,266

Post#219 » by Black Jack » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:16 am

I feel like it's a decent bet no team sports comes back this year.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,508

Post#220 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:22 am

Texas Chuck wrote:Deny the pandemic online if you must though it's beyond bizarre with all the evidence we have at this point. Just make sure you stay at home and wear a mask when you go out. Don't let your ignorance harm yourself or others.

Especially others, as this is not a case where your just influencing your own health (like if you decided to free solo with no experience).
Слава Украине!

Return to The General Board