Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #2

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #2 

Post#2021 » by PlayerUp » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 pm

moorhosj wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:In other Trump news

- Iran issues arrest warrant for President Trump and 35 others over Qassem Soleimani killing.

- Reddit banned r/The_Donald along with 2000 other subreddits (Trump supporters run it, not Trumps team)

- Twitch temporarily suspended Donald Trump for hate speech. This comes after Dr Disrespect was banned Friday - https://www.twitch.tv/donaldtrump (Not sure who runs this)

The 2nd half of 2020 is going to get interesting and not interesting in a good way :/

In much, much bigger news, Trump knew Russia was the paying Taliban bounty's for dead American soldiers.
Not only did he do nothing, he decided to invite them back into the G-7.

There is no bottom with this guy. It only gets worse.

NPR - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwilubL80KfqAhUTZjUKHd_xCjIQ0PADegQICRAT&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2F2020%2F06%2F29%2F884611485%2Fcongress-unites-to-demand-answers-from-trump-on-russian-bounties-in-afghanistan&usg=AOvVaw3PH442OugiRfFY6u14CUeC

Fox - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/top-congressional-conservatives-demand-answers-from-white-house-on-reports-russia-paid-taliban-to-kill-us-troops

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-says-no-credible-intel-russia-offered-taliban-bounty-payments-n1232376

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1277431695248183298&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nbcnews.com%2Fnews%2Fus-news%2Ftrump-says-no-credible-intel-russia-offered-taliban-bounty-payments-n1232376

He denies it.

I don't buy what the media says here either. Same time I absolutely hate the way Trump goes on the mass defensive everytime he is accused of something. Wish he would just explain his side professionally and then let further research be conducted on this matter.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#2022 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:29 pm

DuckIII wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:The 2nd half of 2020 is going to get interesting and not interesting in a good way :/

I’m a little a little scared, frankly. First time in my life.

I was already concerned that if Trump lost there may be some degree of violence, particularly if he fought the results and claimed fraud. Which I would fully expect him to do, and expect his lunatic base to respond as they desperately want to do - by playing army.

But now I’m as much or even more worried about violence if he wins. The recent spread of destructive forms of civil disobedience in the form of toppling monuments and structure fires has me concerned that violence is becoming viewed as a necessity. And sadly a part of me thinks they might be right.

I worry one way or another, as Orwellian as 2020 has already been, we ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

I am exactly where you are right now.

A part of me wants the utopian veil that covers my middle class existence to be lifted once and for all.

The world isnt a happy place for many tens of millions of fellow Americans. And I am very unhappy with the zero sum political game as well as the financial game being played.
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#2023 » by PlayerUp » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:41 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:The 2nd half of 2020 is going to get interesting and not interesting in a good way :/

I was already concerned that if Trump lost there may be some degree of violence, particularly if he fought the results and claimed fraud. Which I would fully expect him to do, and expect his lunatic base to respond as they desperately want to do - by playing army.

But now I’m as much or even more worried about violence if he wins. The recent spread of destructive forms of civil disobedience in the form of toppling monuments and structure fires has me concerned that violence is becoming viewed as a necessity. And sadly a part of me thinks they might be right.

I worry one way or another, as Orwellian as 2020 has already been, we ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

A part of me wants the utopian veil that covers my middle class existence to be lifted once and for all.

The world isnt a happy place for many tens of millions of fellow Americans. And I am very unhappy with the zero sum political game as well as the financial game being played.

This goes beyond just Trump.

For Trump, I think media is really just trying to spark unnecessary fear. No doubt Trump will get aggressive, be angry and blame this and that. However end of the day you were president of the united states and can go back to your billion dollar empire. You gave it your best shot and it failed. Politics is dirty and you couldn't adopt.

My concern is just the overall divide this nation is going feels like we're heading towards a political civil war. Incredibly bad things have happened in 2020 and now we shift to politics which is getting dirtier and dirtier everyday.

We badly need a president who is strong and can meet in the middle bring this country back together. Lets say Trump loses, Biden wins. You still have the far left supporters who oppose Biden/Trump and the right who opposes Biden. On Twitter alone, Biden has only 6.4 million twitter followers (less than AOC despite Biden being VP for 8 years), youtube channel has less than 75k subscribers. It's clear to me most of the nation doesn't feel energetic about Biden and is not going to be able to bring this country together.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#2024 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:52 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:
DuckIII wrote:

This goes beyond just Trump.

For Trump, I think media is really just trying to spark unnecessary fear. No doubt Trump will get aggressive, be angry and blame this and that. However end of the day you were president of the united states and can go back to your billion dollar empire. You gave it your best shot and it failed. Politics is dirty and you couldn't adopt.

My concern is just the overall divide this nation is going feels like we're heading towards a political civil war. Incredibly bad things have happened in 2020 and now we shift to politics which is getting dirtier and dirtier everyday.

We badly need a president who is strong and can meet in the middle bring this country back together. Trump loses, Biden wins, is that really going to make things better? You still have the far left supporters who oppose Biden/Trump and the right who opposes Biden. It's clear to me most of the nation doesn't feel energetic about Biden. On Twitter alone, Biden has only 6.4 million twitter followers (less than AOC despite Biden being VP for 8 years), youtube channel has less than 75k subscribers. It's clear to me Biden is not the one who is going to be able to bring this country together.

We should never conflate number of Twitter followers with the ability to bring the country together.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#2025 » by dice » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:57 pm

DuckIII wrote:

part of me thinks that if trump is defeated, then all of this will have been worthwhile. and maybe this is what it took to sufficiently magnify his already glaring unfitness for office
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#2026 » by PlayerUp » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:04 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:We should never conflate number of Twitter followers with the ability to bring the country together.

It's not just that. Look at the polls. People are not energetic for Biden. Not a single person here can tell me that Biden is your "preferred" model president you want. Things will not change until we have a president that the vast majority want.
dice
RealGM

Post#2027 » by dice » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:07 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
moorhosj wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:In other Trump news

- Iran issues arrest warrant for President Trump and 35 others over Qassem Soleimani killing.

- Reddit banned r/The_Donald along with 2000 other subreddits (Trump supporters run it, not Trumps team)

- Twitch temporarily suspended Donald Trump for hate speech. This comes after Dr Disrespect was banned Friday - https://www.twitch.tv/donaldtrump (Not sure who runs this)

The 2nd half of 2020 is going to get interesting and not interesting in a good way :/

In much, much bigger news, Trump knew Russia was the paying Taliban bounty's for dead American soldiers.
Not only did he do nothing, he decided to invite them back into the G-7.

There is no bottom with this guy. It only gets worse.

NPR - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwilubL80KfqAhUTZjUKHd_xCjIQ0PADegQICRAT&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2F2020%2F06%2F29%2F884611485%2Fcongress-unites-to-demand-answers-from-trump-on-russian-bounties-in-afghanistan&usg=AOvVaw3PH442OugiRfFY6u14CUeC

Fox - https://www.foxnews.com/politics/top-congressional-conservatives-demand-answers-from-white-house-on-reports-russia-paid-taliban-to-kill-us-troops

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-says-no-credible-intel-russia-offered-taliban-bounty-payments-n1232376

Read on Twitter

He denies it.

:lol:

of course he does! he's in putin's pocket. this is the guy who said he believed putin about 2016 election interference over his own intelligence agency. this is the guy who reluctantly signed a bipartisan, veto-proof sanctions bill against russia and then refused to enforce it. the same guy who didn't report contacts with the kremlin to the FBI during the 2016 election. the same guy who illegally held up military aid to a US ally waging war with russia. the same guy who pulled US troops out of syria, leaving our kurdish allies to slaughter (benefiting russia) and allowing ISIS prisoners to escape in the process

no other republican is denying that the intelligence community has come up with this. democrats have not been permitted access to the intelligence yet. the birther party is clearly constructing a partisan damage-control narrative in the meantime. the only question is how solid the intelligence is. wake up!
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#2028 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:15 pm

PlayerUp wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:We should never conflate number of Twitter followers with the ability to bring the country together.

It's not just that. Look at the polls. People are not energetic for Biden. Not a single person here can tell me that Biden is your "preferred" model president you want. Things will not change until we have a president that the vast majority want.

When asked what he thought about defunding the police, Joe Biden said that his criminal justice reform would actually make the police budget larger and focus on reforms to cops and how they are hired and trained.

That's definitely someone I can back.

Twitter following be damned. It's time for common sense to prevail again
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#2029 » by Dresden » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm

PlayerUp wrote:

Not true. Biden has been polling over 50% nationally. No other candidate has managed that since Reagan in '84, according to Nate Silver. Part of that is because there is no 3rd party this year though.
dice
RealGM

Post#2030 » by dice » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm

PlayerUp wrote:

which has not happened since the early 18th century and won't in our lifetimes

-harding won 60%-36% in 1920, but that doesn't qualify as a vast majority. he died 2 years into office and is considered one of the worst presidents ever

-FDR won 4 elections by an average of 15 points, which would be unfathomable today

-reagan won 2 elections by an average of 14 points. even that is unfathomable today

-clinton won by 9 and 5, obama by 7 and 4. both are quite the accomplishment in the polarized environment we've been in since the '90s
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,701

Post#2031 » by dougthonus » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 pm

PlayerUp wrote:He denies it.

I don't buy what the media says here either. Same time I absolutely hate the way Trump goes on the mass defensive everytime he is accused of something. Wish he would just explain his side professionally and then let further research be conducted on this matter.

It kind of depends if Trump is guilty of a lot of the things the media portrays. His strategy has been to be massively defensive, call any argument against him a hoax, and to double down on everything and use whatever power he has to prevent further research.

I don't want to start a political debate, so I will not get into my opinion of Trump and his guilt or innocence of many of the things he has been accused, but regardless of your thoughts on that, you have to admit his strategy has been much more effective than I think anyone would have reasonably imagined.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,701

Post#2032 » by dougthonus » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:30 pm

PlayerUp wrote:We badly need a president who is strong and can meet in the middle bring this country back together. Lets say Trump loses, Biden wins. You still have the far left supporters who oppose Biden/Trump and the right who opposes Biden. On Twitter alone, Biden has only 6.4 million twitter followers (less than AOC despite Biden being VP for 8 years), youtube channel has less than 75k subscribers. It's clear to me most of the nation doesn't feel energetic about Biden and is not going to be able to bring this country together.

Between Biden and Trump, Biden seems the vastly more likely guy to bring people together, because he might actually attempt to bring people together. Trump would certainly not actively attempt to bring everyone together. In the best case, he simply doesn't care about unity of the nation and knows that unifying won't help him achieve his goals so doesn't try. In the worst case, he's actively attempting to keep people divided as a political ploy.

That said, I think Biden is an awful candidate. I don't know what the hell the democrats are doing putting him up there.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls