Best Player Straight Up For Expiring Salary

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,585

Best Player Straight Up For Expiring Salary 

Post#1 » by NYG » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:43 pm

Who is the most talented player to be had for neutral-ish expirings? Think Gorgui Dieng, James Johnson, Nicolas Batum and Cody Zeller without assets being exchanged either way?
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,815

Re: Best Player Straight Up For Expiring Salary 

Post#2 » by psman2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:56 pm

NYG wrote:Who is the most talented player to be had for neutral-ish expirings? Think Gorgui Dieng, James Johnson, Nicolas Batum and Cody Zeller without assets being exchanged either way?

I am confused here? Using Memphis as an example, what are we swapping Dieng for? Another matching expiring (seems like musical chairs) or cap space? I value Dieng as a 5-7m a year backup center for us, so if a team was offering me savings over that amount to make it worth my while I might move him. If someone wanted to absorb all of him I would be happy to get the huge TPE.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#3 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 pm

psman2 wrote:
NYG wrote:Who is the most talented player to be had for neutral-ish expirings? Think Gorgui Dieng, James Johnson, Nicolas Batum and Cody Zeller without assets being exchanged either way?

I am confused here? Using Memphis as an example, what are we swapping Dieng for? Another matching expiring (seems like musical chairs) or cap space? I value Dieng as a 5-7m a year backup center for us, so if a team was offering me savings over that amount to make it worth my while I might move him. If someone wanted to absorb all of him I would happy to get the huge TPE.

I wouldn't mind Dieng as Robinson's backup in NY.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#4 » by HornetJail » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm

Batum can certainly be had for other expirings. I literally don't care who the player is, if it's expiring for expiring and we're not taking on significantly more money, it's a yes from me.

Zeller though... we wouldn't swap him for a useless expiring unless there was something else attached, no reason to throw him away. Even if we luck into Wiseman, Zeller will make a very good backup and I would not be surprised at all to see him re-sign here in 2021.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,279

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm

Do you mean best overpaid player whose team want to dump for expiring? can just check the most overpaid thread then lol. Probably Chris paul though.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:21 pm

psman2 wrote:

I am confused here? Using Memphis as an example, what are we swapping Dieng for? Another matching expiring (seems like musical chairs) or cap space? I value Dieng as a 5-7m a year backup center for us, so if a team was offering me savings over that amount to make it worth my while I might move him. If someone wanted to absorb all of him I would be happy to get the huge TPE.

I think that’s the whole point of the thread starter. They seem to be starting the dialogue of who might actually get traded for an expiring this year. You could decide if you think that would be enough for you to move Dieng later.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:22 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Do you mean best overpaid player whose team want to dump for expiring? can just check the most overpaid thread then lol. Probably Chris paul though.

I’m guessing either that, or maybe someone that a team would rather just move on from, or move for an expiring. Could be a decent player that has 2 years remaining and a team would rather have a chance at clearing 2021 salary.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#8 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:32 pm

Terry Rozier
Gary Harris
Norman Powell
Terrence Ross
Ricky Rubio
Kyle Anderson

All of them come to mind for me. Maybe not STRAIGHT up for expirings but I can envision scenarios where teams might want to clear multi-year money on those guys.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#9 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:34 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Terry Rozier
Gary Harris
Norman Powell
Terrence Ross
Ricky Rubio
Kyle Anderson

All of them come to mind for me. Maybe not STRAIGHT up for expirings but I can envision scenarios where teams might want to clear multi-year money on those guys.

Powell has a PO for 11 mil that he thoroughly outplayed and will decline barring injury. Almost all raptor fans would love to dump him for expirings at beginning of year but he really turned it around this year. :)
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,532

Post#10 » by HornetJail » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:35 pm

Gary Harris
Norman Powell
Terrence Ross
Ricky Rubio
Kyle Anderson

you're about to have a herd of angry Raptors fans @ing you lol

I agree with Rozier's inclusion here.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#11 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:46 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Gary Harris
Norman Powell
Terrence Ross
Ricky Rubio
Kyle Anderson

Powell has a PO for 11 mil that he thoroughly outplayed and will decline barring injury. Almost all raptor fans would love to dump him for expirings at beginning of year but he really turned it around this year. :)

What if this year is a flash in the pan though and he reverts back to the type of player you all would have loved to dump for expiring money? If TOR is worried he reverts to that maybe they want to sell high and ensure they're out of the deal now.

I can also totally see them wanting to stick it out with him. For all of those guys I can. But I don't think you have squint too hard to see a scenario where TOR thinks it's better to avoid and risk of him opting in and hurting next year's offseason spending plans. As I understand it TOR wants to go after big names if they can.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,281

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:51 pm

Chris Paul
Al Horford
Terry Rozier

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#13 » by NotACat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:52 pm

Gary Harris
Norman Powell
Terrence Ross
Ricky Rubio
Kyle Anderson

Terrance Ross is huge for Orlando and a legit 6MOTY candidate, can't see him in this conversation. Rubio either, he's incredibly underrated - just a mediocre shooter.
Black Lives Matter
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,815

Post#14 » by psman2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Chris Paul
Al Horford
Terry Rozier

Who is taking Horford for expirings with no other assets attached per the OP's premise?
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 pm

Gary Harris
Norman Powell
Terrence Ross
Ricky Rubio
Kyle Anderson

Norman Powell might earn a max contract this coming season, he was a monster for Toronto this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he averages over 20ppg. Ross also has a rare skillset (not many 6-6+ wings that can volume score on average efficiency and also be slightly below to slightly above average defenders) so I don't think he would be available for that. Rubio I think, depends on what Phoenix does this offseason but the value is probably right. Don't disagree on the rest.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:54 pm

psman2 wrote:
Al Horford
Terry Rozier

Who is taking Horford for expirings with no other assets attached per the OP's premise?

I think there could be a team that views him as a neutral asset. In this case, maybe Toronto or Sacramento?

JColl
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#17 » by youngcrev » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 am

psman2 wrote:
Al Horford
Terry Rozier

I think you've got the premise flipped.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#18 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:02 am

babyjax13 wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Al Horford
Terry Rozier

I think there could be a team that views him as a neutral asset. In this case, maybe Toronto or Sacramento?

i think horford is about 10 mil over paid even by teams that view him highly due to his age and risk for regression/injuries
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#19 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:11 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Gary Harris
Norman Powell
Terrence Ross
Ricky Rubio
Kyle Anderson

Norman Powell might earn a max contract this coming season, he was a monster for Toronto this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he averages over 20ppg. Ross also has a rare skillset (not many 6-6+ wings that can volume score on average efficiency and also be slightly below to slightly above average defenders) so I don't think he would be available for that. Rubio I think, depends on what Phoenix does this offseason but the value is probably right. Don't disagree on the rest.

Yeah looked into Powell a little bit. Better than I thought. Still the risk he reverts but it's low money for him to opt into next year and seems to be a bargain if he repeats it or comes close.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#20 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 am

NotACat wrote:
Gary Harris
Norman Powell
Terrence Ross
Ricky Rubio
Kyle Anderson

Terrance Ross is huge for Orlando and a legit 6MOTY candidate, can't see him in this conversation. Rubio either, he's incredibly underrated - just a mediocre shooter.

I listed him but it would depend on other moves. Maybe they extend Fournier. I assume they're planning on extending Issac and Fultz which could be expensive if they break out. Maybe they move Gordon + expiring deal of Birch for a more expensive SF. They'll be adding Okeke and projected #15 pick this year.

Ross is signed for 3 years. If ORL anticipates pushing the luxury tax in the future maybe they try to get ahead of that now. Or maybe they want to get another starting caliber guard and use Fournier as their bench scorer, which leaves Ross further down the depth chart.

I was listing guys I thought COULD be moved for expiring salary. Depends on situation for some. Didn't mean that all would be automatic easy calls.

Return to Trades and Transactions