Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

What is Aaron Gordon’s trade value in 2020 draft pick?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:28 pm

Top 6 FRP
9%
#7 Overall
2%
#8 Overall
6%
#9 Overall
1%
#10 Overall
14%
#11 Overall
No votes
#12 Overall
7%
#13 Overall
1%
#14 Overall
20%
#15 Or Higher (please state your specific value in thread)
39%

Total votes: 85

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,355

Re: Aaron Gordon Trade Value in 2020 Draft Pick 

Post#61 » by JRoy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JRoy wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:Kind of the point of that trade scenario. If Culver was polished, better shooter, but didn’t make you skeptical due to his flaws — he wouldn’t be on the block for AG. Magic in this scenario get the 2nd year player and develop his upside. As is, I am not sure Wolves do this because they may see a lot more in Culver and moving him is DOA.

Too soon to tell with Culver.

He’s got some tools but his shot is iffy. I don’t think MIN moves him without an all star type talent in return.

I like JC but fit is an issue.

what? he is unproven reagrdless of upside. they would not expect to get an all star type return or even close.

It’s pretty rare for a team to move a rookie picked top 5 in his rookie season unless he is a huge stinker like Thomas Robinson.

Part of being a rookie is being unproven.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
tobysunsfan
Junior
And1: 102

Post#62 » by tobysunsfan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 pm

The Suns would easily give 10 for him
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#63 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:57 pm

JRoy wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Too soon to tell with Culver.

He’s got some tools but his shot is iffy. I don’t think MIN moves him without an all star type talent in return.

I like JC but fit is an issue.

what? he is unproven reagrdless of upside. they would not expect to get an all star type return or even close.

It’s pretty rare for a team to move a rookie picked top 5 in his rookie season unless he is a huge stinker like Thomas Robinson.

he wasnt a top 5 pick but thats not what you implied anyway. The reason he would not get traded is because he has not proven himself to be an NBA caliber rotation player yet but alot of lottery picked rookies did. So to say they wouldn't take less than an allstar caliber player back for him as is untrue at this stage even if your point was they wouldnt give up on him or sell low
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Post#64 » by NYG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:I will post it here because it has been posted so many times on RGM...

Wolves Trade:
JJ (expiring)

FOR

A. Gordon
Magic Trade:

And if push came to shove, I think Wolves throw in #33 OR Vanderbilt OR Evans.

Trade makes just too much sense for both teams.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1973793

As per this thread

JJ to Charlotte
Vanderbilt, Rozier and 16 to Orlando
Gordon to Minnesota
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,531

Post#65 » by HornetJail » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:39 am

NYG wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:I will post it here because it has been posted so many times on RGM...

Wolves Trade:
JJ (expiring)

FOR

A. Gordon
Magic Trade:

As per this thread

JJ to Charlotte
Gordon to Minnesota

I think this works well for all involved, especially if Fournier walks in free agency and Orlando is in need of a scoring off-guard
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#66 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:02 am

NYG wrote:

Wolves Trade:
JJ (expiring)

FOR

A. Gordon
Magic Trade:

As per this thread

JJ to Charlotte
Gordon to Minnesota

Adding a team here...

To Charlotte: JJ + Culver

To Magic: Rozier + Vanderbilt (or Spellman) + #16

To Memphis: Evans + #8

To Wolves: Gordon + Winslow

I want to see the 3 man rotation at SF/PF with Gordon, Winslow and Gomez (re-signed).
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,275

Post#67 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:04 am

rugbyrugger23 wrote:
NYG wrote:

Wolves Trade:
JJ (expiring)

FOR

A. Gordon
Magic Trade:

As per this thread

JJ to Charlotte
Gordon to Minnesota

Adding a team here...

I want to see the 3 man rotation at SF/PF with Gordon, Winslow and Gomez (re-signed).

I don't think they would want both gordon and winslow. they want to run a 5 out offense and both are below avg to poor 3 pt shooters/belong in the corners.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#68 » by JRoy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:15 am

Stillwater wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Stillwater wrote:what? he is unproven reagrdless of upside. they would not expect to get an all star type return or even close.

he wasnt a top 5 pick but thats not what you implied anyway. The reason he would not get traded is because he has not proven himself to be an NBA caliber rotation player yet but alot of lottery picked rookies did. So to say they wouldn't take less than an allstar caliber player back for him as is untrue at this stage even if your point was they wouldnt give up on him or sell low[/quote

He was picked, what, 5th, 6th?

He is not an obvious bust like TRob, but he has had some struggles. A lot of rookies do.

I find it doubtful they move him except in return for a real talent coming back to them, all star type player.

Not sure if any team with that kind of player would want to trade that for JC but that’s another topic.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#69 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:
NYG wrote:

As per this thread

JJ to Charlotte
Gordon to Minnesota

Adding a team here...

I don't think they would want both gordon and winslow. they want to run a 5 out offense and both are below avg to poor 3 pt shooters/belong in the corners.

Good to want things. If shooting is all they want — Wolves are set at the 4. Gomez looked awesome doing just that. 576TS%, 42% 3PT% on 5 attempts per game.

But... Towns needs defense. So does Beasley and Russell. And either they sacrifice some 3P% for defense — or they some how find the unicorn that is both.

That is why I said 3 man rotation. When D and sacrifice to average shooting — Winslow and/or Gordon. Gomez for when sharp shooting is important.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#70 » by Prospect Dong » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:11 am

Buzzard wrote:
JRoy wrote:POR passes.

Would rather draft a player that can shoot and defend at sf.

Everyone wants to draft a player who can shoot and defend at SF. They don't grow on trees though and most teams are reaching for them all draft long. I like Saddiiq Bey as a player that could be a sleeper. He is not athletic but he is fundamentally sound. You are not going to find a lot of hyped up players who can defend and shoot in this draft; especially small forwards.

I think Gordon for 14 is good value so long as you want to keep him. Otherwise keep and use your pick.

Yeah, drafting for need in the middle of the first round in a bad draft and expecting to get someone who can contribute to a fringe contender is a big ask. If you've got a specific wishlist for the guy you want to add then the draft really isn't the place to do it.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
JRoy
RealGM

Post#71 » by JRoy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:26 am

Prospect Dong wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
JRoy wrote:POR passes.

Would rather draft a player that can shoot and defend at sf.

Everyone wants to draft a player who can shoot and defend at SF. They don't grow on trees though and most teams are reaching for them all draft long. I like Saddiiq Bey as a player that could be a sleeper. He is not athletic but he is fundamentally sound. You are not going to find a lot of hyped up players who can defend and shoot in this draft; especially small forwards.

I think Gordon for 14 is good value so long as you want to keep him. Otherwise keep and use your pick.

Yeah, drafting for need in the middle of the first round in a bad draft and expecting to get someone who can contribute to a fringe contender is a big ask. If you've got a specific wishlist for the guy you want to add then the draft really isn't the place to do it.

It’s a big ask to give up assets hoping AG will be one a player he has never been.

AG is not what the blazers need. He’s not even a small forward.
Edrees wrote:

Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#72 » by Prospect Dong » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:33 am

JRoy wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:
Buzzard wrote:Everyone wants to draft a player who can shoot and defend at SF. They don't grow on trees though and most teams are reaching for them all draft long. I like Saddiiq Bey as a player that could be a sleeper. He is not athletic but he is fundamentally sound. You are not going to find a lot of hyped up players who can defend and shoot in this draft; especially small forwards.

It’s a big ask to give up assets hoping AG will be one a player he has never been.

Sure, AG might not be a good fit - though the Blazers managed to find a use for guys who are probably closer to 4s than 3s and lack a consistent outside shoot in the past.

My main point is that you can't compare him to a draft pick where you have magically been able to select for all the characteristics the Blazers do need. You can't really do that at #13, so if need and fit are a big deal, you probably need to examine the trade market, even if it's not for Gordon.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
JRoy
RealGM

Post#73 » by JRoy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 am

Prospect Dong wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:

Sure, AG might not be a good fit - though the Blazers managed to find a use for guys who are probably closer to 4s than 3s and lack a consistent outside shoot in the past.

My main point is that you can't compare him to a draft pick where you have magically been able to select for all the characteristics the Blazers do need. You can't really do that at #13, so if need and fit are a big deal, you probably need to examine the trade market, even if it's not for Gordon.

True.

Spending resources on a bad fit is a bad idea.

POR May not find the ideal player in the draft or elsewhere.

AG is definitely not that guy.
Edrees wrote:

hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#74 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:58 am

I don’t think Gordon is a good fit at all for POR as a SF. If POR acquires him I think it would be for Nurkic. Then instead of Collins at the 4 with Nurkic at the 5 you go Gordon at the 4 with Collins at the 5.

ORL has no use for Nurkic so it’d have to be a 3 way deal. Maybe Rodney Hoods expiring deal, as he recovers from injury, along with Nurkic going out to a 3rd team who then compensates ORL for Gordon.

End of the day, Gordon and Nurkic are just different more than better or worse. So it’s a matter of how POR wants to play.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,793

Post#75 » by jredsaz » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 am

tobysunsfan wrote:The Suns would easily give 10 for him
I was going to say no but I wonder if they would...

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,157

Post#76 » by Mr Puddles » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:19 pm

My thought exactly. I'm not even a big Aaron Gordon fan, but I'd give up the 10 pick for him in a heartbeat.
Spoiler:
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,732

Post#77 » by gswhoops » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:

My thought exactly. I'm not even a big Aaron Gordon fan, but I'd give up the 10 pick for him in a heartbeat.

I think this would be the ideal situation to maximize Gordon's talents. Put him as a turbocharged roleplaying 4 (and smallball 5) rather than trying to force him into being a featured wing scorer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,051

Post#78 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:10 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:

I think this would be the ideal situation to maximize Gordon's talents. Put him as a turbocharged roleplaying 4 (and smallball 5) rather than trying to force him into being a featured wing scorer.

YES. THIS.

I think his best long term role is exactly as you described. A fast 4 to play a role, and otherwise a small ball 5. Let his explosiveness truly be a strength and advantage rather than just “on par” with the other guys.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#79 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:44 pm

I still like the Aaron Gordon for Gordon Hayward framework.

Horford had a big player option with Boston last year but opted out because he got word a big long term offer was waiting for him. It was 3 guaranteed years with a partially guaranteed 4th year. Could ORL and Hayward be a similar match.

BOS gets: F Aaron Gordon
ORL gets: Gordon Hayward
3rd team gets: C Khem Birch (at a $3M salary he's solid value for a backup big and I'm sure someone has a trade exception handy)

Based on sending out Gordon/Birch, the Magic can offer Hayward the following:

Year 1: $26,520,455
Year 2: $27,846,478
Year 3: $29,172,501
Year 4: $30,498,523 (team option with $6M guaranteed)

If ORL declines that option it comes out to $89,539,433 over 3 years ($29,846,478/year). If they pick up the option it's $114,037,957 total over 4 years ($28,509,489/year). I feel like this would be a big enough deal to get Hayward to opt out.

ORL's lineup after the deal would be:

Fultz
Fournier / Ross
Hayward / Okeke
Isaac / Aminu
Vucevic / Bamba

I'm guessing they would use their #15 pick on a young PG like Kira Lewis Jr. to round out that rotation.

By swapping in Hayward for Gordon they would have added a huge boost in outside shooting and primary shot creation. And while Hayward is a downgrade from Gordon defensively, he's still a very solid player on that end.

That lineup to me has a great combination of length, shooting, defense. I think moving a non-shooting, combo defensive forward for a sharp shooting point forward really opens up that lineup.

On Boston's end, they it's just a swap of Hayward for Gordon int he starting lineup. Boston replaces some degree of playmaking with Gordon but they lose a lot of floor spacing. They do get a boost on the defensive end. Boston would be banking on Tatum/Brown continuing their development and becoming better playmakers to compensate.

The big thing here is that Boston saves about $16.1M going from Hayward's option year to this. Next move after that would be to salary dump Kanter and Vincent Poirier ($5M expiring for Kanter, $1.4M buyout for Poirier). They have #26 and #30 to do so (and they'd also want to deal those down to 2nd rounders anyway so save cap space).

If Boston made those other supporting moves, they would open up the full MLE to use. Ideally they pursue a stretch 5 to take Kanter's place in the rotation because that further compensates for the loss of shooting with Hayward to Gordon. Serge Ibaka, Marc Gasol, Aron Baynes, Christian Wood would all be ideal targets.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,442

Post#80 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:24 pm

jredsaz wrote:
I was going to say no but I wonder if they would...

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

But could we even afford to have both Oubre AND Gordon absorbed into our cap space? Or would we be looking to move Oubre elsewhere post trade? IF we could get Gordon for the 10, Then maybe after, We can move Oubre to Golden state for their Top 5 pick? ................

Hello any of Hayes, Haliburton, Vassell, Okoro, Avdija or even Wiseman!

IF Wiseman, Then flip him to Boston for Marcus Smart/ 17/30th picks. :D

Return to Trades and Transactions