Toronto cashes in on Norman Powell, Portland goes for it

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Re: Toronto cashes in on Norman Powell, Portland goes for it 

Post#21 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 am

I guess to put my money where my mouth is, here is a possible 3-way

Utah trades: Bojan Bogdanovic, Ed Davis
Utah receives: Norman Powell, Trevor Ariza
Utah gets a younger player who can potentially be Mitchell's long term partner in the backcourt. If Rudy or Donovan demand out, they also cut long-term salary with Bojan.

Portland trades: Trevor Ariza, Nassir Little, 14
Portland receives: Bojan Bogdanovic
Portland adds a combo forward (Bojan is IMO equally good at both forward positions) who can be a legitimate 3rd/4th option and take over games at time.

Toronto trades: Norman Powell
Toronto receives: Nassir Little, Ed Davis, 14
Toronto gets a young guy and a late lottery pick for a player they may not feel they can/should retain.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#22 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:24 am

Now that trade I would do. Even if Bojan is a turnstile on defense, he would be the best SF we have fielded since Batum.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,252

Post#23 » by JRoy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 am

babyjax13 wrote:I guess to put my money where my mouth is, here is a possible 3-way

Utah trades: Bojan Bogdanovic, Ed Davis
Utah receives: Norman Powell, Trevor Ariza
Utah gets a younger player who can potentially be Mitchell's long term partner in the backcourt. If Rudy or Donovan demand out, they also cut long-term salary with Bojan.

Portland trades: Trevor Ariza, Nassir Little, 14
Portland receives: Bojan Bogdanovic
Portland adds a combo forward (Bojan is IMO equally good at both forward positions) who can be a legitimate 3rd/4th option and take over games at time.

Toronto trades: Norman Powell
Toronto receives: Nassir Little, Ed Davis, 14
Toronto gets a young guy and a late lottery pick for a player they may not feel they can/should retain.

I don’t hate this.

It’s tough to see UTA and POR deal as there is some bad blood between those two.

With Paul Allen’s passing maybe they’d pull the trigger on this.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#24 » by ejftw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:45 am

Norman has always flown under the radar, going back to UCLA where he was the catalyst of the Bruins last S16 run (iirc) despite Looney being the high profile guy.

But even then, I don't think I'd give #14 for him, all things considered. I'd rather take a swing on, say, Josh Green.

If Portland tho does deal CJ tho, I think Norman would be a great fit next to Dame
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#25 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:39 am

If this were for OG Anunoby Portland would be all over it. The Blazers desperately need a starting SF. Hood was our starting SF, Little has the potential (unlikely to reach it) and the #14 can also be used to fill that gap long-term.

Neither Powell nor McCaw address that and trading the only three current options at SF for back-up shooting guards is idiocy. Powell is certainly a fine player though but he's no CJ McCollum.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#26 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:10 pm

I really do like Powell, he is a starting level SG who could be the #5 guy on a championship team. Maybe even #4. But he isn't as good as CJ and he plays the same position. IDK if there is a team in this league starting a 6'04 SF. It just isn't happening. So we are dealing a haul for a backup who needs to be paid soon when we already have two capable backups at SG (Simons and Trent, not that either are as good as Powell).

Its just not the deal Portland needs. I have no qualms using Little and #14 to find a long term starting SF, but Powell simply isn't that guy. There is a SF on Toronot that fits the bill pretty perfectly, OG, but he is definitely not getting moved for this package.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,492

Post#27 » by Duffman100 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:15 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Powell is a solid player but there is no way either he or McCaw should be playing SF.

Norm is 6'4 with a 6'11 wingspan. He can definitely play SF and has for the Raptors a ton.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,151

Post#28 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Powell is a solid player but there is no way either he or McCaw should be playing SF.

Norm is 6'4 with a 6'11 wingspan. He can definitely play SF and has for the Raptors a ton.

The operative difference here is between can and should. Lillard, McCollum, Powell as the 1-3 is far from ideal.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#29 » by Duffman100 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:

The operative difference here is between can and should. Lillard, McCollum, Powell as the 1-3 is far from ideal.

Well, saying "no way either he or McCaw should be playing SF" is a little much when Powell has played a lot of SF and been successful and productive doing so.

Though I do agree that's a really undersized 1-3 in total.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#30 » by jimmy keys » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Village Idiot wrote:If this were for OG Anunoby Portland would be all over it. The Blazers desperately need a starting SF. Hood was our starting SF, Little has the potential (unlikely to reach it) and the #14 can also be used to fill that gap long-term.

Neither Powell nor McCaw address that and trading the only three current options at SF for back-up shooting guards is idiocy. Powell is certainly a fine player though but he's no CJ McCollum.

No ****. I don't think I'd trade OG for the 1st pick in this draft it's that weak. OG is already close to being the best wing defender in the game, he'd fit Portland like a glove. He's exactly what they need, but they don't have the pieces to get it done.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#31 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Well, saying "no way either he or McCaw should be playing SF" is a little much when Powell has played a lot of SF and been successful and productive doing so.

Its just not feasible to start a 6'3 SG and 6'4 SF. I don't think there is a team in the league that even has their primary backups at SG/SF that small, much less starters. I understand the league is changing, but it just doesn't seem like a move a team makes in reality.

I do agree Powell is underrated, but he just isn't a fit in Portland right now.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#32 » by Duffman100 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Its just not feasible to start a 6'3 SG and 6'4 SF. I don't think there is a team in the league that even has their primary backups at SG/SF that small, much less starters. I understand the league is changing, but it just doesn't seem like a move a team makes in reality.

I do agree Powell is underrated, but he just isn't a fit in Portland right now.

Yup don't disagree there.

I do think Portland needs more wings in general though. Simons, Little and Trent aren't ready yet. Hood has never been able to stay healthy. Ariza is on his last legs and Hezonja is a moron.

Even if Powell came off the bench to form a 3 guard rotation with Lillard and McCollum, occasionally playing SF and giving 25-30 minutes a game, it would be a huge plus.

edit, actually maybe I'm too hard on Trent. Why is that dude not getting more minutes?
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#33 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:30 pm

Duffman100 wrote:edit, actually maybe I'm too hard on Trent. Why is that dude not getting more minutes?
Thanks for noticing. Trent has really flown under the radar. He's only in his second year and its been a steep learning curve for him but the staff has done a fantastic job developing him.

Trent looked really solid at the end of the season when Lillard was out and in his 8 starts at SG alongside CJ he was really efficient.

With Ariza and Hood out at SF for the Blazers you can expect to see a lot more of Trent in Orlando. He might even start at SF although I imagine Melo will get the nod.

also: Trent is 5 years younger than Powell. I think a lot of people forget Powell is already 26.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,790

Post#34 » by psman2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:edit, actually maybe I'm too hard on Trent. Why is that dude not getting more minutes?
Thanks for noticing. Trent has really flown under the radar. He's only in his second year and its been a steep learning curve for him but the staff has done a fantastic job developing him.

Trent looked really solid at the end of the season when Lillard was out and in his 8 starts at SG alongside CJ he was really efficient.

With Ariza and Hood out at SF for the Blazers you can expect to see a lot more of Trent in Orlando. He might even start at SF although I imagine Melo will get the nod.

also: Trent is 5 years younger than Powell. I think a lot of people forget Powell is already 26.

Powell is 27.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Post#35 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Village Idiot wrote:

and lillard/CJ are 28/29... if anything you are getting him in his prime and their timeline matches. Not sure why age is an issue here. But i also agree with the majority of posters that he doesnt fit portland. Thats why i never proposed any trades of him to portland directly :nod:
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#36 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:

and lillard/CJ are 28/29... if anything you are getting him in his prime and their timeline matches. Not sure why age is an issue here. But i also agree with the majority of posters that he doesnt fit portland. Thats why i never proposed any trades of him to portland directly :nod:
The reason I made it an issue was to support duffman's discovery of Trent. I feel like most people aren't aware of his emergence this year. Powell is a great player and I'd love to have him but back-up SG is not an area the Blazers need to invest in and certainly not at the expense of using the only easily expendable assets that don't address our gaping hole at SF.
TPV
Senior
And1: 144

Post#37 » by TPV » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:35 pm

I think this is a bit of an overpay for Powell, and he's the wrong target for Portland.

He's an awesome shooting guard who can play some small forward, but I wouldn't want him to be there full-time.

It would be hard for Toronto to make this deal given that I think they need his shot creation, but the value is definitely there to accept, especially if they're able to re-sign VanVleet.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,298

Post#38 » by Parataxis » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:05 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Its just not feasible to start a 6'3 SG and 6'4 SF. I don't think there is a team in the league that even has their primary backups at SG/SF that small, much less starters. I understand the league is changing, but it just doesn't seem like a move a team makes in reality.

I mean, there's one team that I can think of...

FVV is 6'1", Powell is 6'3", and Davis is 6'4". That's a starting SG, a backup SG/SF, and a backup SG.
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#39 » by andyo » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:31 pm

Powell has been very good this year, game-breaking type good...his work ethic and defense is always consistently there as well. At this point, he's' a plug and play guy in any line-up in the modern NBA. He's genuinely looked like he was potentially taking the next step this year (i.e. into all-star conversation).

Expiring or not, I think people overrate 1st rounders these days. I suppose I'm spoiled to say that because of my team's drafting pedigree lately.....but a late lottery (at best pick) in a weak draft class- one would be incredibly fortunate to have a player develop from that to be the player Powell has become today. The only incentive the Raptors have to do this deal is to sell Powell because they can't afford to keep everyone around.

The dynamics around the draft are changing anyways, teams are less focused on raw talent/age as much as they are concerned about coach-ability and work ethic in the modern NBA.

If that were the case, I'd much rather keep him and go for it. We are contenders, a late lottery pick doesn't sweeten the pot nearly enough to move him.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#40 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 2, 2020 1:21 am

If that were the case, I'd much rather keep him and go for it. We are contenders, a late lottery pick doesn't sweeten the pot nearly enough to move him.[*]

I think keeping him and going for it with the understanding you cant afford him when he expires is the best move for Toronto. They have elite chemistry and can surprise any team, any night.

That being said, players of Powell's caliber (Which is a good caliber) don't command more than late lotto picks. Draft picks don't just bring a young player with potential, a huge aspect is the cost control. If TOR really wants to make a move for Giannis in 2021, having a late lotto talent making a few million gives them a potential high caliber role player at a cost that doesn't take them out of the sweepstakes. I think that would be the argument for moving Powell now, get a role player at a cost that doesn't impact the FA plan. Otherwise the team is looking at a great starting 5 but vet min bench options.

Return to Trades and Transactions