ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Cops kill George Floyd

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Re: OT: Cops kill George Floyd 

Post#1701 » by Blockwatcher » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:57 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
RHODEY wrote:So they fire a few of these white supremacist c os, but how many are still out there, smart enough not to tell on themselves? They are planning to massacre blacks.... black people need to to arm themselves and take this **** seriously.

I'm thinking of getting a few myself. Long Island is full of cops, retired cops, families of cops, and cop bootlickers.

Guns are not part of any solution.

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://www.wave3.com/2020/06/28/louisville-man-arrested-fatal-shooting-jefferson-square-park/

2 men came to the protest with a gun. Lopez came to do harm, and the person who shot Lopez in the leg did not wake up that day thinking he was going have to stop a killing spree. I pray I never need to use my gun. Wingo if you find a shop on Long Island that still has stock let me know :wink:
1 John 2 : 15-17
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,674

Post#1702 » by Pointgod » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:40 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

The beat cops have to be filmed all of the time. The Mayor of DC will not be happy about this. Chief of Police a goner?

Btw, I'm reading some stuff about Van Jones helping the Trump administration with its police policy. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad given Jones prior comments about Trump. Plus, he hasn't be transparent about his involvement. Any insights?

Van Jones has a goal to get criminal justice reform and his approach is to work with whoever he can to get something done now because it’s better than nothing down the road. And he’s said as much that he knows he’ll get criticism from the left but he’s willing to do it in pursuit of a noble goal. The problem with his approach is that he had to pretty much kiss Republicans ass and kowtow to Trump while objectively ignoring reality that the only reason full scale criminal justice reform hasn’t passed is because of Republicans. I guess he’d rather get somethings done now and hand Trump a win than wait to get major reform passed by working with Democrats. His intentions are in the right place but it’s obvious he’s playing the political game to his own detriment.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,454

Post#1703 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:01 am

Pointgod wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

The beat cops have to be filmed all of the time. The Mayor of DC will not be happy about this. Chief of Police a goner?

Btw, I'm reading some stuff about Van Jones helping the Trump administration with its police policy. I don't know if this is a good thing or bad given Jones prior comments about Trump. Plus, he hasn't be transparent about his involvement. Any insights?

Van Jones has a goal to get criminal justice reform and his approach is to work with whoever he can to get something done now because it’s better than nothing down the road. And he’s said as much that he knows he’ll get criticism from the left but he’s willing to do it in pursuit of a noble goal. The problem with his approach is that he had to pretty much kiss Republicans ass and kowtow to Trump while objectively ignoring reality that the only reason full scale criminal justice reform hasn’t passed is because of Republicans. I guess he’d rather get somethings done now and hand Trump a win than wait to get major reform passed by working with Democrats. His intentions are in the right place but it’s obvious he’s playing the political game to his own detriment.

And that’s a noble way to go about one’s business. I would do the same so long as I felt I wasn’t being used in some way. With Trump, it’s never going to go the way you think it will. He ALWAYS has ulterior motives. I guess that’s my problem with it. Van, as a former community activist, should know that.
Free Palestine
prolific96
Junior
And1: 118

Post#1704 » by prolific96 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:44 am

Buffalo's finest...

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1705 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:07 am

There have been a number of police assaults on civilians while making "wellness check;" a function that the police, of all people, should not be performing. A gentle and artistic young black man in Aurora, Colorado, Elijah McClain (played the violin, loved animals, just a gentle soul who wouldn't hurt a fly, was of absolutely no danger to anyone much less a group of armed police) who passed out after being put in an illegal chokehold by a police officer and then was given some kind of sedative or tranquilizer in the ambulance and died at the hospital. I might not have these details exact but I think I got it close enough.

So there was a peaceful memorial on behalf of this gentle soul. No protesting, lots of people playing violin. Basically, a vigil in his memory and an armed military-like army of Aurora police officers arrived en masse and blasted these non-threatening folks with tear gas and Mace and assaulted them.

Here's the story with the embedded video of what occurred at the violin vigil.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2020/jun/29/elijah-mcclain-vigil-police-pepper-spray-violin-protest

Another one took place in Canada. WTF Canada?

Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,880

Post#1706 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:11 am

Pointgod wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cops will continue to be savages under any Republican leadership. Van Jones probably did what they thought could help, but it clearly won't amount to anything. This has to be a top down reformation which means removing the GOP and starting over with a new system and real punishments and oversight with teeth.
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 327

Post#1707 » by movingon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:04 am

More on Elijah McClain:
https://www.democracynow.org/2020/6/29/elijah_mcclain_protests_new_investigation

HarthorneWingo wrote:There have been a number of police assaults on civilians while making "wellness check;" a function that the police, of all people, should not be performing. A gentle and artistic young black man in Aurora, Colorado, Elijah McClain (played the violin, loved animals, just a gentle soul who wouldn't hurt a fly, was of absolutely no danger to anyone much less a group of armed police) who passed out after being put in an illegal chokehold by a police officer and then was given some kind of sedative or tranquilizer in the ambulance and died at the hospital. I might not have these details exact but I think I got it close enough.

So there was a peaceful memorial on behalf of this gentle soul. No protesting, lots of people playing violin. Basically, a vigil in his memory and an armed military-like army of Aurora police officers arrived en masse and blasted these non-threatening folks with tear gas and Mace and assaulted them.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2020/jun/29/elijah-mcclain-vigil-police-pepper-spray-violin-protest

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1708 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:10 am

movingon wrote:More on Elijah McClain:
https://www.democracynow.org/2020/6/29/elijah_mcclain_protests_new_investigation

HarthorneWingo wrote:There have been a number of police assaults on civilians while making "wellness check;" a function that the police, of all people, should not be performing. A gentle and artistic young black man in Aurora, Colorado, Elijah McClain (played the violin, loved animals, just a gentle soul who wouldn't hurt a fly, was of absolutely no danger to anyone much less a group of armed police) who passed out after being put in an illegal chokehold by a police officer and then was given some kind of sedative or tranquilizer in the ambulance and died at the hospital. I might not have these details exact but I think I got it close enough.

After almost 30 years as an attorney, most of it practicing police civil rights litigation - both on behalf of the City of Philadelphia PD (10 years) and against (17+), it never ceases to amaze me how their first reaction is always to circle the wagons and come up with some cockamamy story that will NEVER hold up in court and will only serve to further expose them for the scoundrels that they are (putting it mildly). They just always seem to dig themselves in a huge fox hole every time when, if they had just acted like regular people addressing a situation in a reasonable way, we'd never be here. We never had to be here. They're out of fcking control and it's infuriating to keep reading about.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1709 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:07 pm

DiBlasio just slashed a billion dollars from the NYPD budget. Hopefully, it's just the start. AOC has come out criticizing it.

https://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/de-blasio-nypd-budget-cuts-1.46252704

The NYPD is losing more than $1 billion in funding — including canceling the July recruit class and overtime cuts — with the money transferred to social-welfare programs, in the fallout from the George Floyd protests, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday.

The head count of officers will go down by the end of the year to 34,837 from about 36,000, with the patrol force supplemented by reassigning cops now doing desk jobs, de Blasio said, promising the budget cuts wouldn’t jeopardize public safety.

Among the “NYPD reinvestments”: from the police operating budget,

$115 million for summer youth programs;
$116 million for education;
$134 million for family and social services; from the capital budget,
$450 million for public housing and parks facilities; and
$67 million for broadband internet in the city’s housing projects, according to a slide presentation at de Blasio’s daily news conference.

“Our young people need to be reached. Not policed, reached,” de Blasio said.

The curbing of overtime won’t affect emergencies, he said.

“Look, we’re gonna have some exceptional moments, and we’re gonna have to deal with those unto themselves,” he said. “What we’re talking about is the kind of overtime that is normally relied upon.”

In the first two weeks alone of the Floyd protests, the city spent $115 million on police overtime, which is more than four times the amount spent in the same period in 2019.

The total municipal budget de Blasio is proposing for the upcoming fiscal year — which starts Wednesday — is $88.1 billion. It is to be voted on later Tuesday by the City Council, with just hours until the budget is due under 1970s-era fiscal crisis rules.

The budget is billions less than the $95 billion he proposed earlier this year, before the coronavirus pandemic devastated city tax coffers. Already, the city has lost $9 billion in revenue, he’s said.

For more than a week, there’s been an encampment of hundreds outside New York City Hall — where de Blasio works — demanding at least $1 billion in NYPD cuts.

Like more than 140 places in the United States, the city has been the site of protests demanding changes to policing, since May 25’s bystander-recorded death of Floyd while a cop in Minneapolis knelt on his neck for almost nine minutes.

On Tuesday at his news conference, de Blasio shrugged off criticism from some left-leaning groups who have accused the mayor of playing budgetary shell games — reaching $1 billion in NYPD cuts by moving crossing guards and school security guards to other municipal agencies, for instance.

“Some people are never happy,” he said.
Free Palestine
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,149

Post#1710 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:12 am

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1711 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:56 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Louisville City Council? They don't have black representatives on it? This is crazy.
Free Palestine
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#1712 » by Spot31 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:26 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:DiBlasio just slashed a billion dollars from the NYPD budget. Hopefully, it's just the start. AOC has come out criticizing it.

The NYPD is losing more than $1 billion in funding — including canceling the July recruit class and overtime cuts — with the money transferred to social-welfare programs, in the fallout from the George Floyd protests, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Tuesday.

The head count of officers will go down by the end of the year to 34,837 from about 36,000, with the patrol force supplemented by reassigning cops now doing desk jobs, de Blasio said, promising the budget cuts wouldn’t jeopardize public safety.

$67 million for broadband internet in the city’s housing projects, according to a slide presentation at de Blasio’s daily news conference.

“Look, we’re gonna have some exceptional moments, and we’re gonna have to deal with those unto themselves,” he said. “What we’re talking about is the kind of overtime that is normally relied upon.”

In the first two weeks alone of the Floyd protests, the city spent $115 million on police overtime, which is more than four times the amount spent in the same period in 2019.

The total municipal budget de Blasio is proposing for the upcoming fiscal year — which starts Wednesday — is $88.1 billion. It is to be voted on later Tuesday by the City Council, with just hours until the budget is due under 1970s-era fiscal crisis rules.

The budget is billions less than the $95 billion he proposed earlier this year, before the coronavirus pandemic devastated city tax coffers. Already, the city has lost $9 billion in revenue, he’s said.

For more than a week, there’s been an encampment of hundreds outside New York City Hall — where de Blasio works — demanding at least $1 billion in NYPD cuts.

Like more than 140 places in the United States, the city has been the site of protests demanding changes to policing, since May 25’s bystander-recorded death of Floyd while a cop in Minneapolis knelt on his neck for almost nine minutes.

On Tuesday at his news conference, de Blasio shrugged off criticism from some left-leaning groups who have accused the mayor of playing budgetary shell games — reaching $1 billion in NYPD cuts by moving crossing guards and school security guards to other municipal agencies, for instance.

112 People Shot in NYC in the Past 9 Days...let's defund the police yay. What is wrong with this town? Why is everything so backwards?
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1713 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:40 am

Spot31 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:DiBlasio just slashed a billion dollars from the NYPD budget. Hopefully, it's just the start. AOC has come out criticizing it.

112 People Shot in NYC in the Past 9 Days...let's defund the police yay. What is wrong with this town? Why is everything so backwards?

Just a few questions:

What’s your evidence that public calls for reallocating police funding had anything to do with this shooting spree in NYC?

Have the police done any “police work“ on these cases? You know, detectionizing kinda stuff. Get statements from witnesses? Try to find out the motives? See if there’s any video surveillance footage available?

Do you have any facts relating to the alleged shooters and the victims?

Is there any connection between them or are they random with no connection?
Free Palestine
Spot31
Pro Prospect

Post#1714 » by Spot31 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:47 am

Deblasio made the NYPD get rid of it's anti-crime unit 2 weeks ago, they go after illegal guns. Idk maybe it's coincidence the spike in gun violence? I hate guns btw so maybe I'm a bit bias
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1715 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:52 am

Spot31 wrote:Deblasio made the NYPD get rid of it's anti-crime unit 2 weeks ago, they go after illegal guns. Idk maybe it's coincidence the spike in gun violence? I hate guns btw so maybe I'm a bit bias

Nope, not that Unit. I believe the NYPD has other units for that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/nyregion/nypd-plainclothes-cops.html

Breakdown of NYPD Detective Division

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/bureaus/investigative/detectives.page

I hate guns too.
Free Palestine
Spot31
Pro Prospect

Post#1716 » by Spot31 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:12 am

A plainclothes police officer in Brooklyn got arrested for assault earlier in June when he pushed a female protester to the pavement. It was a bad PR look on the dept. especially in the current political climate and it was the final nail in the coffin to all these street level stops like stop question and frisk. The mayor ordered the police commissioner to get rid of plainclothes officers aka the precinct's anti-crime unit citywide. I don't like the mayor, I don't care for the police commissioner, but damn it I love my city and I just want it to be safe. I grew up in the 80s and the 90s in Brooklyn and the Bronx and yeah I know it will never be as a violent again, I just want peace man. Stupid gangs
Spot31
Pro Prospect

Post#1717 » by Spot31 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:19 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Spot31 wrote:Deblasio made the NYPD get rid of it's anti-crime unit 2 weeks ago, they go after illegal guns. Idk maybe it's coincidence the spike in gun violence? I hate guns btw so maybe I'm a bit bias

Nope, not that Unit. I believe the NYPD has other units for that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/15/nyregion/nypd-plainclothes-cops.html

Breakdown of NYPD Detective Division

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/bureaus/investigative/detectives.page

I hate guns too.

Detective Bureau mostly go after open cases like homicides. Detectives assigned to Gangs and Narcotics use search warrants to get contraband and firearms. It's the street plainclothes cops that get the illegal guns stopping people.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,149

Post#1718 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:02 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

There’s a lot not to like about Van Jones. He’s said and done good things, but he’s as self-serving as a Stephen A or Charles Barkley. He’s as radical as the leash will allow.

Read on Twitter

There was a time when Van was thought to be a maverick. Then he tasted some of that CNN money.

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1719 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:08 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
There’s a lot not to like about Van Jones. He’s said and done good things, but he’s as self-serving as a Stephen A or Charles Barkley. He’s as radical as the leash will allow.

Read on Twitter

There was a time when Van was thought to be a maverick. Then he tasted some of that CNN money.

Read on Twitter

Yeah, that’s a problem
Free Palestine
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,405
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#1720 » by E-Balla » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:44 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

But... They protested peacefully and didn't riot? I thought that was how you got change. :roll:

Can't find the video but one of my favorite Malcolm X speeches:

"Brothers and sisters, if you and I would just realize, that once we learn to talk the language that they understand, they will then get the point. You can't ever reach a man if you don't speak his language. If a man speaks the language of brute force, you can't come to him with peace. Why goodnight! He'll break you in two, as he has been doing all along. If a man speaks French, you can't speak to him in German. If he speaks Swahili, you can't communicate with him in Chinese. You have to find out, what does this man speak? Once you know his language, learn how to speak his language. He'll get the point, there will be some dialogue, some communication, and some understanding will be developed. You've been in this country long enough to know the language the Klan speaks, they only know one language. What you and I have to start doing in 1965, I mean that's what you have to do because most of us have already been doing it, is start learning a new language. Learn the language that they understand, and then when they come up on our door step to talk, we can talk."

Return to New York Knicks