ImageImageImageImageImage

Pistons after Fred VV

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

JonasVFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,518

Re: Pistons after Fred VV 

Post#21 » by JonasVFTW » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 pm

FVV is so successful here because he fits perfectly in our system. He plays above average D, especially for his size. He can create his own shot, again, in spite of his size. He is a solid PG, can be an effective starter, but Max??? I would toss a 4 year/85 Mill contract at him (depending on how the cap changes) and get him during his peak years.. Hopefully he sees that his success was a product of the Raps system and development and gives us a bit of a hometown discount.
NeoDragonKnight
Starter
And1: 2,571

Post#22 » by NeoDragonKnight » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm

If Fred is offered a ludicrous contract, I would be sad to see him go, but would be happy for him to be rewarded. He works so hard and helped us win a championship, he will always be a Raptor even if/when he leaves.
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#23 » by team edward » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:48 pm

Fred is going to secure the bag, deservedly so.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,331

Post#24 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm

Fred wont go bc he said Casey is a garbage coach
right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,513

Post#25 » by right between the eyes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:41 pm

I thought I recall a Freddy quote about Casey's lack of in game adjustments in the playoffs ..maybe I'm wrong but I think someone posted it recently...can't see him playing for Casey again after experiencing Nurse's creativity
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#26 » by wtcantfw » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:13 pm

right between the eyes wrote:I thought I recall a Freddy quote about Casey's lack of in game adjustments in the playoffs ..maybe I'm wrong but I think someone posted it recently...can't see him playing for Casey again after experiencing Nurse's creativity

Not even an issue because the Pistons won't make the playoffs :lol:
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,934

Post#27 » by Anticon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:31 pm

If you are trying to build a program, Fred is a guy you want. Obviously giving him almost 20% of your cap is not a recipe for a title, but for a team trying to make the playoffs and build winning habits he's the right guy.

Would be sad to lose him but I'm not sure what money we realistically can put on the table if we want to be players in 2021.
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#28 » by alienchild » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 pm

Freddy and Casey. Sure. Been there,done that,bought the t-shirt. T-shirt shrunk after washing.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#29 » by Danny1616 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:20 pm

Hopefully Fred isn't as dumb to leave to a bad market and team in Detroit for a few extra bucks.

Fred is in a great situation where he can make very good money and play on a contender. Him and Siakim are best friends and can be a great one-two punch of the next half decade. He has the trust of the coaches, knows the system, had the perfect mentor in Lowry etc.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,558

Post#30 » by dTox » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:30 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Nobody has any idea how the cap is going to be handled, and the lack of bb income means it’s going to take a big hit. Maybe they smooth it over years, maybe they don’t. So how can any team know what they want to do yet.

And they also just hired a new GM in Weaver, who seems like a guy that would rather build a team from the ground up, with an eye for grabbing talent in the draft.
TBZ for the win
alan_156
Senior
And1: 755

Post#31 » by alan_156 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:24 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
SFour wrote:If Fred wants to chase the bag that's fine, he was key in the championship run so he should be rewarded...luckily we got TD who is the perfect replacement.

TD is obviously great but he's really not a Fred replacement. I know they tried using him at point guard a bit but he's not and his strengths come as a 2
So we'd still need to find an actual future pg

No arguing TD's athletic and shooting potential. He doesn't have great handles and isn't the floor general Fred has, he just doesn't have that experience yet. TD is not ready to step in Fred's shoes
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,026

Post#32 » by ontnut » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:26 pm

I love Fred as much as the next guy, but if he gets the max, he's gone.
I wonder what possible S&T options may present themselves?
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,054

Post#33 » by rarefind » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 pm

Fred is a helluva player, no doubt.

However, to pay him max money would be a tremendous overpay. To that point though, if he could secure that type of payday he should definitely take it.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,253

Post#34 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:13 pm

alan_156 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
SFour wrote:If Fred wants to chase the bag that's fine, he was key in the championship run so he should be rewarded...luckily we got TD who is the perfect replacement.

TD is obviously great but he's really not a Fred replacement. I know they tried using him at point guard a bit but he's not and his strengths come as a 2

No arguing TD's athletic and shooting potential. He doesn't have great handles and isn't the floor general Fred has, he just doesn't have that experience yet. TD is not ready to step in Fred's shoes

People bring up that comment from the coaching staff last training camp about how the Raps want to try TD out as a pg; it was just an experiment. TD was never really a PG in college; you cant just learn to be a full-time pg overnight. If TD is going to replace anyone due to salary savings, it will be Norm.
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#35 » by mintsa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 pm

Eventhough the pistons can offer more money. Fred can make more money here with endorsements, marketing his brand and even post career work.

I don’t think he’s that dumb to not think about that and just take a pay cheque.

I’m guessing he stays, and he won’t even consider
Other teams, like Demar would do.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,026

Post#36 » by ontnut » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 pm

alan_156 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:

I don't get what people see in TD that makes them believe he's the future solution to our starting PG spot. He'll be a good 6th man as a SG/PG, and spot starter, but I hardly see "PG" being his main position.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,003

Post#37 » by kalel123 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:08 pm

You guys overrate him way too much. He's a good young player but the kind of figures being thrown around here is way too out there.

This kind of question mark is part of why I wanted the Raptors to trade him before deadline. That and I don't trust 2 small PG lineup in the playoffs where it can be exploited especially without a superstar to bail you out.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,576

Post#38 » by Syd-TK3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm

Zeno wrote:I think Atlanta is a much more likely team to offer Fred crazy money. I know that him and Trae Young would be likely horrible defensively but just because something is a bad idea doesn't mean a team won't try to do it. Unfortunately the Raptors have auditioned Fred at the 2 the whole year and while I know that it likely only works because of Lowry being an unbelievable good at guarding above his size, the Hawks might try it.

Honestly all the teams with max money don't need a pg and even if they do they are a rebuilding teams expected to draft top 10 in pg heavy draft.
I don't see any reason why ATL would use their money on fred even if he can play the 2.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,067

Post#39 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:12 pm

ontnut wrote:
alan_156 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:TD is obviously great but he's really not a Fred replacement. I know they tried using him at point guard a bit but he's not and his strengths come as a 2

I don't get what people see in TD that makes them believe he's the future solution to our starting PG spot. He'll be a good 6th man as a SG/PG, and spot starter, but I hardly see "PG" being his main position.

The hype started in the pre-season games against Houston. The Houston announcers were comparing TD to Westbrook. Except TD can hit 3s. Sure he hit the rookie wall, but he's shown the ability to dish it off. Lowry wasn't considered a true PG at the beginning of his career. When he was traded here in 2012, the concern was that it couldn't run a pick and roll.

The main problem with TD has been his defence. Both in switching and in fouling the 3-point shot. But the Raps are such an elite defensive team, there's no way a rookie can be expected to come in and look good out there. So we see more of *sigh* Patrick McCaw.

But yes, he's not going to replace Fred. With Kyle aging (albeit gracefully) and Pascal maxed out for the next five years, Fred has to be retained at all cost short of the max. I'm hoping the low 20's AAV will do it.But we'll what the cap situation when decisions have to be made in the fall.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#40 » by ItsDanger » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:20 pm

Detroit should be in tear down and rebuild mode. I don't buy it. Sometimes agents and a player's contacts throughout the league plant seeds to create artificial demand.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to Toronto Raptors