2020 NBA Draft II

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Re: 2020 NBA Draft II 

Post#1201 » by getrichordie » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:44 pm

King Ken wrote:Isaiah Joe has an legit NBA level star skill and is bad at everything else. Kendall Marshall has scared me of guys like this.

As of current, he's more effective on-ball and way less effective off-ball (outside of C&S 3s). That and lack of strength are his problems. He's so reliant on 3s, too. Barely gets to the rim and isn't effective from mid-range. Off-ball play could improve with lower body/core strength.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#1202 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:30 am

[list=][/list]Aaron Nesmith’s interviews are super impressive. He has so much confidence and a high IQ of the game. To me he should probably be a top 10 pick.

Also really impressed with Killian Hayes. Think both players are going to be great shooters off the dribble who can cut and draw fouls. That’s what lead guys do.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#1203 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:42 am

King Ken wrote:Isaiah Joe has an legit NBA level star skill and is bad at everything else. Kendall Marshall has scared me of guys like this.

but that's like the most important skill tho

Korver made a career out of being a great shooter and crappy in everything else
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1204 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:25 am

I haven’t been here in a while, but it’s crazy how high you people have gotten on Isaiah Joe. I wasn’t seeing this last time I was here and there hasn’t even been basketball on in a while.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#1205 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:40 am

Shamet is helping Joe's stock. I could buy Joe being an elite shooter in this class, and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up better than Nesmith. Having said that, he's kind of old for a sophomore (21 in July), almost certainly won't be a plus defender, and as others have said, is probably not going to do give you a whole lot else on offense. I think he's not as strong a movement shooter as Shamet is. I think given the weakness of this Draft I could see Joe going as high as late first, but I have him somewhere in the mid-second.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,194

Re: 2020 NBA Draft II6 

Post#1206 » by Catchall » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:01 am

mademan wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
mademan wrote:I'm surprised Tyler Bey isnt projected to go higher. He has best wing defense in the NBA type potential, and the form on his jumpshot isnt awful. If he could become a decent shooter, he'd be an impact stat darling

Agree, hes gonna be a solid role player for a playoff team and shouldn't slip from the late 20s in my opinion.

And watch him play, he's got good BBIQ. Knows when to make the right pass, right cut, and he has a great motor on the glass. He's legit a jumpshot away from being a top tier role player, and thats amazing value for a 20's pick. A lot of guys come out of college as non shooters and are able to become solid to great in the NBA. If a team thinks they can make him into a good shooter, they should jump at the opportunity. I hope the raps get him. They already have a proven track record of rebuilding jump shots (OG, Norm Powell, Terence Davis, Siakam...)

He needs to transition to playing on the perimeter on offense and do a little more off the dribble. It's not too big a stretch for him, and he could potentially become similar to Trevor Ariza, imo.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1207 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:11 am

EvanZ wrote:Shamet is helping Joe's stock. I could buy Joe being an elite shooter in this class, and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up better than Nesmith. Having said that, he's kind of old for a sophomore (21 in July), almost certainly won't be a plus defender, and as others have said, is probably not going to do give you a whole lot else on offense. I think he's not as strong a movement shooter as Shamet is. I think given the weakness of this Draft I could see Joe going as high as late first, but I have him somewhere in the mid-second.

what makes Terry that much better than Joe?
clyde21
RealGM

Re: 2020 NBA Draft II6 

Post#1208 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:12 am

Catchall wrote:
mademan wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Agree, hes gonna be a solid role player for a playoff team and shouldn't slip from the late 20s in my opinion.

And watch him play, he's got good BBIQ. Knows when to make the right pass, right cut, and he has a great motor on the glass. He's legit a jumpshot away from being a top tier role player, and thats amazing value for a 20's pick. A lot of guys come out of college as non shooters and are able to become solid to great in the NBA. If a team thinks they can make him into a good shooter, they should jump at the opportunity. I hope the raps get him. They already have a proven track record of rebuilding jump shots (OG, Norm Powell, Terence Davis, Siakam...)

He needs to transition to playing on the perimeter on offense and do a little more off the dribble. It's not too big a stretch for him, and he could potentially become similar to Trevor Ariza, imo.

if T Bey has an live dribble game he'd be a top10 pick
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#1209 » by King Ken » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:50 am

clyde21 wrote:

You must not watch Kyle Korver play Basketball. He's good at a number of things outside of shooting. Especially in his prime. His team defense IQ was excellent. He was good at steals. Had good size. Not easy to post up as he was 6'7. You are confusing Korver at this age for prime Korver. Korver was very efficient as well. Joe is not. Korcer was a good rebounder. He is a solid passer. Kyle is a much better prospect
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1210 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 am

King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

You must not watch Kyle Korver play Basketball. He's good at a number of things outside of shooting. Especially in his prime. His team defense IQ was excellent. He was good at steals. Had good size. Not easy to post up as he was 6'7. You are confusing Korver at this age for prime Korver. Korver was very efficient as well. Joe is not. Korcer was a good rebounder. He is a solid passer. Kyle is a much better prospect

Korver averages 3 rebs and and 1.7 assists for his career, who the hell cares? the only reason he was ever allowed on the floor was because of his shot...if he didn't have it he would've been out of the league a long time ago

and this has nothing to do with Joe vs. Korver, this is about Joe having an elite skill -- THE most important skill -- that will guarantee him minutes in the NBA if it translates, period.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1211 » by getrichordie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:30 am

Isaiah Joe doesn't have the off-ball skills to be KYLE Korver. It's not even close.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1212 » by King Ken » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:
King Ken wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Korver averages 3 rebs and and 1.7 assists for his career, who the hell cares? the only reason he was ever allowed on the floor was because of his shot...if he didn't have it he would've been out of the league a long time ago

and this has nothing to do with Joe vs. Korver, this is about Joe having an elite skill -- THE most important skill -- that will guarantee him minutes in the NBA if it translates, period.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kyle-korver-1.html

5.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists in college. Its not comparable. Kyle was getting 6.4 rebounds and 3.3 assists his last year.

This is going to be the new Kendall Marshall- Jason Kidd comparison I can see already

This is Basketball, all skills matter at this level. Damian Jones is a great dunker with a very good body but bad at everything else. People who are in love with Joe will be in for a major reality check if he enters the draft.

Just because you share a common trait don't make you the same level overall
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1213 » by King Ken » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm

getrichordie wrote:Isaiah Joe doesn't have the off-ball skills to be KYLE Korver. It's not even close.

Kyle didn't have the off ball skills he has now especially in his prime out of college but Kyle was better out of college overall than Joe at this stage.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1214 » by getrichordie » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:43 pm

King Ken wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Isaiah Joe doesn't have the off-ball skills to be KYLE Korver. It's not even close.

Kyle didn't have the off ball skills he has now especially in his prime out of college but Kyle was better out of college overall than Joe at this stage.

Korver was stronger, too.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
King Ken
General Manager

Post#1215 » by King Ken » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:48 pm

getrichordie wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Korver was stronger, too.

Korver also had the perfect height, 6'7 for an non athletic 2. We need to be honest, if Korver entered in today's NBA, he would be a top 15-20 pick. When he entered, he wasn't a fit for that NBA while he is a fit for today's NBA where team defense, shooting, and perimeter movement is king.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1216 » by No-Man » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:02 pm

This is a moot point, Joe is coming back to school anyway
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,807

Post#1217 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 pm

Korver was much better than Joe coming out. There isn't a comparison to them in regards to shooting, the skill that people praise Joe for.

I also think comparing Joe to Nesmith is nuts. The 14 games Aaron strung together this season are better than the best 14 games picked over Joe's entire career. Nesmith is going to be at worse a replacement level starter, at best a top tier shooting swing. His career 0.7 bpg bodes very well to his athleticism translating, its pretty historically relevant that guys who block shots as swings have enough juice to get by at the next level. Nesmith has an average block+steal number very similar to Klay Thompson.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#1218 » by EvanZ » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:56 pm

clyde21 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Shamet is helping Joe's stock. I could buy Joe being an elite shooter in this class, and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up better than Nesmith. Having said that, he's kind of old for a sophomore (21 in July), almost certainly won't be a plus defender, and as others have said, is probably not going to do give you a whole lot else on offense. I think he's not as strong a movement shooter as Shamet is. I think given the weakness of this Draft I could see Joe going as high as late first, but I have him somewhere in the mid-second.

Terry is a much better playmaker with more shooting off movement and dribble potential. Not really close imo.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1219 » by clyde21 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:59 pm

EvanZ wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Terry is a much better playmaker with more shooting off movement and dribble potential. Not really close imo.

meh, if he's a better playmaker or movement shooter it's barely by that much.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#1220 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:07 pm

The way Onyeka plays reminds me of Domantas Sabonis. I know that’s not a popular comparison because Sabonis is white, but they have a really similar game.

Return to NBA Draft