ImageImageImage

OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#41 » by 31to6 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:04 am

I think the hope is he approximates 2018, not 2015. I’m totally down for the experiment.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#42 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:08 am

Is Jarrett Stidham the quarterback of the future or isn't he? Dalton signed in Dallas with the clear understanding that Dalton would be backing up Dak Prescott. What's the deal in New England? And what kind of message does this send to Stidham?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Post#43 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:45 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#44 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Is Jarrett Stidham the quarterback of the future or isn't he? Dalton signed in Dallas with the clear understanding that Dalton would be backing up Dak Prescott. What's the deal in New England? And what kind of message does this send to Stidham?

It sends the message that he has to earn his job like every player under Belichick.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#45 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:20 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:I don't think he makes the roster lol.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. If he doesn't soundly beat out the other QB's in training camp, and I mean soundly, Bill will probably drop him for a cheaper vet and use that 7 million on depth and flexibility, as per usual.

edit: I have no idea of the Pats cap situation, haven't been following sports at all this spring, so I might be off base here.

We'd have to see the actual incentives. If I were to guess, I'd bet there are team/individual incentives (make Pro Bowl, make Super Bowl, pass for 3,000 yards), but knowing Belichick it is probably heavy on basic stuff like make initial roster, active on game days, games started, etc...

Given that they are already right up against the cap, the incentives on the Pats end are that he doesn't get them unless Stidham gets hurt, or Cam is just so far superior to him that you are willing to cut into next year's cap room, or create space this season by dumping Sanu, trade Thuney for below market value, restructure/extend Hightower, etc to fit his incentives under the cap. I don't see that happening unless Stidham just flames out completely.

The incentives all fall in the ‘not likely to be earned’ and will count against next years cap if he hits them. We dont have to do any cap gymnastics
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:24 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Is Jarrett Stidham the quarterback of the future or isn't he? Dalton signed in Dallas with the clear understanding that Dalton would be backing up Dak Prescott. What's the deal in New England? And what kind of message does this send to Stidham?

If Stidham was the QB of the future, we wouldnt have signed cam. He’s a fourth round pick that the Pats PR sold to fans to get then excited about to coming season so fans ignore the fact that we moved on from Brady.

Everything Kraft does is with PR in mind— theres a reason the Pats announced this signing 30 minutes before penalties were announced. Dont buy the hype.

This move was made moreso with the locker room in mind if I had to guess. No players thought they could win it all with Stidham. They wouldve adjusted how they play/prep accordingly. They will believe that they can with Cam. The externalities of this move are very important.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:29 am

31to6 wrote:I think the hope is he approximates 2018, not 2015. I’m totally down for the experiment.

This is what the Pats want. In 2018, Newton played under a similar system that we typically run [McDaniels has leveraged many concepts from Norv Turner]. He completed 68% of his passes and cut the downfield throws for more ‘layup’ throws in the short and mid yard areas.

Look for Cam to use White and Burkhead a ton. Edelman and Sanu also fit the ideal archetype as well. Harry is the real break out candidate— would guess he’s an 1k yard receiver next year.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#48 » by jmr07019 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:53 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
31to6 wrote:I think the hope is he approximates 2018, not 2015. I’m totally down for the experiment.

This is what the Pats want. In 2018, Newton played under a similar system that we typically run [McDaniels has leveraged many concepts from Norv Turner]. He completed 68% of his passes and cut the downfield throws for more ‘layup’ throws in the short and mid yard areas.

Look for Cam to use White and Burkhead a ton. Edelman and Sanu also fit the ideal archetype as well. Harry is the real break out candidate— would guess he’s an 1k yard receiver next year.

It always amazes me how many teams don't take these easy yardage plays.
Show Love Spread Love
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#49 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:00 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Sanu and Edelman are so great at finding the soft spots in zones and coming back to the QB when he has to extend plays. They are perfect for what Newton does. Add in Henry a big deep threat who can go long and win 1 on 1 battles presumably. Plus Asiasi and Keene who can challenge up the seams and on TE screens.

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,344

Post#50 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:18 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised either way. If he doesn't soundly beat out the other QB's in training camp, and I mean soundly, Bill will probably drop him for a cheaper vet and use that 7 million on depth and flexibility, as per usual.

edit: I have no idea of the Pats cap situation, haven't been following sports at all this spring, so I might be off base here.

We'd have to see the actual incentives. If I were to guess, I'd bet there are team/individual incentives (make Pro Bowl, make Super Bowl, pass for 3,000 yards), but knowing Belichick it is probably heavy on basic stuff like make initial roster, active on game days, games started, etc...

Given that they are already right up against the cap, the incentives on the Pats end are that he doesn't get them unless Stidham gets hurt, or Cam is just so far superior to him that you are willing to cut into next year's cap room, or create space this season by dumping Sanu, trade Thuney for below market value, restructure/extend Hightower, etc to fit his incentives under the cap. I don't see that happening unless Stidham just flames out completely.

The incentives all fall in the ‘not likely to be earned’ and will count against next years cap if he hits them. We dont have to do any cap gymnastics

Wow, then he really had no market then. But all things being equal, wouldn’t you rather not bite into next year’s cap for a band-aid at QB during a transition year?
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#51 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:09 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

If Stidham was the QB of the future, we wouldnt have signed cam. He’s a fourth round pick that the Pats PR sold to fans to get then excited about to coming season so fans ignore the fact that we moved on from Brady.

Everything Kraft does is with PR in mind— theres a reason the Pats announced this signing 30 minutes before penalties were announced. Dont buy the hype.

This move was made moreso with the locker room in mind if I had to guess. No players thought they could win it all with Stidham. They wouldve adjusted how they play/prep accordingly. They will believe that they can with Cam. The externalities of this move are very important.

I do agree with this. I do have to wonder if the players actually believe they can win with Cam. I am actually less worried about the QB position and more concerned that BB didn't seem address the offense (More so guys that can get open, run the correct route and actually catch the ball) which was easily the worse offenses the pats had in 20 years.

At this point whether it is Newton and Stidham I don't see this team doing anything when they are relying on guys like Harry, Sanu Meyers and Lacossee.
*Insert witty signature here.*
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:00 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Wow, then he really had no market then. But all things being equal, wouldn’t you rather not bite into next year’s cap for a band-aid at QB during a transition year?

If it bites into next years cap, itll be because he was awesome and thus totally worth it. If not, were in the exact same spot cap wise. Its the definition of low risk, high reward.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I do agree with this. I do have to wonder if the players actually believe they can win with Cam. I am actually less worried about the QB position and more concerned that BB didn't seem address the offense (More so guys that can get open, run the correct route and actually catch the ball) which was easily the worse offenses the pats had in 20 years.

At this point whether it is Newton and Stidham I don't see this team doing anything when they are relying on guys like Harry, Sanu Meyers and Lacossee.

Look at all the players who commented on Twitter about it. That will tell you all you need to know about his reputation amongst players league wide.

N’Keal Harry is a stud— dont bury him cuz of a **** first year where he got hurt in training camp and didnt earn Brady’s trust. Routes will now open up because teams cant play man vs us — if you’re a CB and turn your back to Newton, he will take off on you. Edelman and Sanu are going to live in the soft spots of zones. As will White and Burkhead.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#54 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:18 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Look at all the players who commented on Twitter about it. That will tell you all you need to know about his reputation amongst players league wide.

N’Keal Harry is a stud— dont bury him cuz of a **** first year where he got hurt in training camp and didnt earn Brady’s trust. Routes will now open up because teams cant play man vs us — if you’re a CB and turn your back to Newton, he will take off on you. Edelman and Sanu are going to live in the soft spots of zones. As will White and Burkhead.

We will see about the receivers. BB record of drafting WR and having them contribute is dreadful and in the 20 years of drafting he has hit on Branch, Edelman and to a lesser extent Givens.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:01 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:

We will see about the receivers. BB record of drafting WR and having them contribute is dreadful and in the 20 years of drafting he has hit on Branch, Edelman and to a lesser extent Givens.

I love TB, but some of this falls on his shoulders as well— not many other QBs in the league bury WRs like TB does over trust or not understanding the complexity of the offense like he does.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#56 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:20 pm

FYI Greg Berdard, prominent Pats writer, says he's definitely going to win the job if he stays healthy and looks like himself
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM

Post#57 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:33 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I love TB, but some of this falls on his shoulders as well— not many other QBs in the league bury WRs like TB does over trust or not understanding the complexity of the offense like he does.

Agreed about TB as in his old age he has not exactly made it a point to work with the new guys. On the flip side though beside Branch and Givens any other receiver that left the pats that BB drafted didn't exactly go on to do great things with any other team either.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:55 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:FYI Greg Berdard, prominent Pats writer, says he's definitely going to win the job if he stays healthy and looks like himself

Lol, me, regular football fan, can tell you he already won the job unless he looks like absolute ****. The locker room will quit on the team if he looks even remotely similar to his past self and Stidham starts.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#59 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Teams take on the personality of its leaders. I just think from the moment Cam walks into that lockerroom he's going to give that team a swag unlike anything they've seen before. With Brady, it was always kind of a quiet workmanlike confidence. Obviously nothing wrong with that. Clearly not, it's worked for us. But a loud personality like Newton will bring SWAG into that lockerroom. an "UNquiet confidence" maybe that will be a bolt of lightning into those players. He will make guys believe in him and then themselves. Just watch.

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:59 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:Teams take on the personality of its leaders. I just think from the moment Cam walks into that lockerroom he's going to give that team a swag unlike anything they've seen before. With Brady, it was always kind of a quiet workmanlike confidence. Obviously nothing wrong with that. Clearly not, it's worked for us. But a loud personality like Newton will bring SWAG into that lockerroom. an "UNquiet confidence" maybe that will be a bolt of lightning into those players. He will make guys believe in him and then themselves. Just watch.

100% — dudes naturally gravitate towards Cam. Its why hes absolutely going to be the starter.

Return to Boston Celtics