ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,168

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#1821 » by mademan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:23 pm

GM89 wrote:
mademan wrote:Im in on Tyler Bey. If our shooting coaches can help him become decent from 3 (a lot of our guys were non shooters in before they were drafted by the Raps), dude would be incredibly valuable. He legit has best defense in the NBA type potential; long, athletic, great motor, good awareness and discipline and is already great at the college level.

Compared to Bey isn't Paul Reed a similar prospect with the upside of being longer and younger?

I think by his shooting form and overall BBIQ offensively, he has more offensive upside. Though i wouldnt be mad at all with Reed
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#1822 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:37 pm

You can probably get Diakite with our 2nd
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#1823 » by JShuttlesworth » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:You can probably get Diakite with our 2nd

Maybe, maybe not. I'd love the pick at 58 but I wouldn't bank on him being there, I'd actually be surprised if he was.

That's the thing with having the 58th pick in the draft.

If there is someone who you really like that is projected 29-58, you are almost forced to take him early. The alternative is hoping that said player goes undrafted and he wants to sign with you.

You're better off going for him with the 28th pick and trusting your instinct -- Well...at least in Masai's case
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#1824 » by Psubs » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. I'd love the pick at 58 but I wouldn't bank on him being there, I'd actually be surprised if he was.

If there is someone who you really like that is projected 29-58, you are almost forced to take him early. The alternative is hoping that said player goes undrafted and he wants to sign with you.

You're better off going for him with the 28th pick and trusting your instinct -- Well...at least in Masai's case

Dewan Hernandez!

Paul Eboua at #58 (to obtain his international rights).

Though, I'd probably lean towards Malik Fitts or Killian Tillie at #58.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#1825 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:02 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:

Oh I agree there's a couple of guys I like that have been mentioned in here like Perry, Ayo, Isaiah Joe who are right around the middle 35-45 draft area and it's all about how sold you are on them because our 2nd is way too far back to wait. Diakite I think stays in the late 2nd range though and I like him but me personally I don't like him enough to take him that high.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#1826 » by Indeed » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:10 pm

Psubs wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

Dewan Hernandez!

Eboua may not be available, but that means maybe one of them will drop, such as: Abdoulaye N’Doye, Maker, Chris Smith, Karim Mane, etc.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#1827 » by Mark_83 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:10 am

Indeed wrote:
Psubs wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

Dewan Hernandez!

Eboua may not be available, but that means maybe one of them will drop, such as: Abdoulaye N’Doye, Maker, Chris Smith, Karim Mane, etc.

Is N'Doye Nigerian or Cameroonian?
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#1828 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 am

I know this is completely off topic from the draft but I don't want to start a new thread and I like the group of people here and want to hear opinions.

Did anybody here watch Raptors 905 games this season? Admittedly, I didn't watch a single game this year and was wondering which prospects people like.

Bigs: Dewan Hernandez
Sagabe Konate
Henry Ellenson

Wings: Paul Watson
Oshae Brisset

Guards: Shamorie Ponds
Tyler Ennis

Mods: If this is breaking any rules, please let me know. I will remove the post immediately. Thank you.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1829 » by Psubs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:28 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:I know this is completely off topic from the draft but I don't want to start a new thread and I like the group of people here and want to hear opinions.

Did anybody here watch Raptors 905 games this season? Admittedly, I didn't watch a single game this year and was wondering which prospects people like.

Sagabe Konate
Henry Ellenson

Oshae Brisset

Tyler Ennis

Mods: If this is breaking any rules, please let me know. I will remove the post immediately. Thank you.

I guess it would count as prospect watch.

I just don't get Oshae. To me he's like the forward version of McCaw; must be a practice star.

I like Watson, thus don't care as much to draft a swingman. Konate came back from injury and needs to prove himself still. I think Ellenson (23 years old) deserves a shot. He seems to be a late bloomer and needed more experience. I could see Ellenson be like Frank Kaminsky. Dewan needs more seasoning with the 905.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#1830 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:00 am

Psubs wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:I know this is completely off topic from the draft but I don't want to start a new thread and I like the group of people here and want to hear opinions.

Sagabe Konate
Henry Ellenson

Oshae Brisset

Tyler Ennis

I guess it would count as prospect watch.

I just don't get Oshae. To me he's like the forward version of McCaw; must be a practice star.

I like Watson, thus don't care as much to draft a swingman. Konate came back from injury and needs to prove himself still. I think Ellenson (23 years old) deserves a shot. He seems to be a late bloomer and needed more experience. I could see Ellenson be like Frank Kaminsky. Dewan needs more seasoning with the 905.

Yeah it sounds like Paul Watson is catching the most interest of the players on the 905 squad. In 30 games, he shot 7 3pa at 42% this season. I think that's enough of a sample size to conclude that he should be able to hit open 3s in the NBA. I'm going to assume he will be promoted to a full contract and will compete with TD, McCaw for the remaining minutes at the 3.

I watched Brisset during the preseason and he caught my attention a little bit. I'm thinking he has some potential to play a role like RHJ's role this season for us. Also it's not completely out of the question he can't learn to hit a stand still open 3. He's hit above 70 ft% in college/g-league.

Ellenson's stats look really good in the 17 games he played. 6 3pa at 42%. 21ppg, 9rpg, 3apg. I recall him having really nice ball handling and passing skills for a guy his size too. I guess the big question is whether he can stay in an NBA game without getting destroyed on defence. He's improving, is young, and on the best developmental franchise so maybe there's hope?
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#1831 » by OGLife » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:46 am

Psubs wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

Dewan Hernandez!

He reminds me of a poor man's Zion.

A guy I saw mocked to us was Jalen Smith from Maryland. Does anyone get Chris Boucher vibes watching him? I don't see first round talent.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1832 » by Psubs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:37 pm

OGLife wrote:
Psubs wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

Dewan Hernandez!

A guy I saw mocked to us was Jalen Smith from Maryland. Does anyone get Chris Boucher vibes watching him? I don't see first round talent.

I get Bruno Caboclo vibes from Eboua, with higher bball IQ.

Chris Boucher who is strong enough to rebound that shoots a % from 3 that helps and not hurt the team. Jalen Smith may not be lottery talent but I could see him going as high as the late teens. He gets 2.4 blocks and 2.4 fouls!
wtfbosh
Veteran
And1: 444

Post#1833 » by wtfbosh » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:20 pm

Sagabe Konate
Henry Ellenson

Oshae Brisset

Tyler Ennis

I watched 5-6 games this year. Paul Watson, Oshae and Devin Robinson impressed. Watson is definitely the best of the 3. Oshae looks like he could be a valuable 3+D guy if he can get the 3 down consistently. Devin Robinson is an excellent athlete, but he's a smallball 4 who can't shoot. Sagaba Konate produced when he got minutes, but he's still not 100% and a long way away from contributing. Sagaba could barely jump this year. Ellenson is a great candidate for Europe. Not good enough for the league, too good for the G-League. He just can't guard anyone and is stuck between the 4 and 5.

Tyler Ennis is a steady guard. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but has trouble finishing through contact and he's not a good shooter. I wasn't wowed by his play.

I was a fan of Shamorie's game in college, but it was a mistake putting him at the 2. He's too small to play the 2.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#1834 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:57 pm

wtfbosh wrote:

Sagabe Konate
Henry Ellenson

Oshae Brisset

Tyler Ennis

I watched 5-6 games this year. Paul Watson, Oshae and Devin Robinson impressed. Watson is definitely the best of the 3. Oshae looks like he could be a valuable 3+D guy if he can get the 3 down consistently. Devin Robinson is an excellent athlete, but he's a smallball 4 who can't shoot. Sagaba Konate produced when he got minutes, but he's still not 100% and a long way away from contributing. Sagaba could barely jump this year. Ellenson is a great candidate for Europe. Not good enough for the league, too good for the G-League. He just can't guard anyone and is stuck between the 4 and 5.

Tyler Ennis is a steady guard. Doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but has trouble finishing through contact and he's not a good shooter. I wasn't wowed by his play.

I was a fan of Shamorie's game in college, but it was a mistake putting him at the 2. He's too small to play the 2.

Very interesting. Based on what you're saying, it sounds like Watson is the only candidate to be able to contribute at the NBA level.

Do you think Watson can defend against back up small forwards in the NBA?
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1835 » by Psubs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:59 pm

wtfbosh wrote:

Sagabe Konate
Henry Ellenson

Oshae Brisset

Tyler Ennis

But is Oshae even an above average defender? :reporter:
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#1836 » by Dalek » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:00 pm

OGLife wrote:
Psubs wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:

Dewan Hernandez!

I certainly see the Boucher comparison. He is a blocks and threes guy who is skinny but maybe not as skinny as Chris.

I see first round talent because he is 20, healthy, and a former McDonald's all American. He is different from Boucher in that he can also shoot off movement. To have a mobile C who can space the floor is invaluable. Interestingly, Smith said that he mirrors his play after Serge Ibaka.

Boucher would have been draft worthy of he wasn't 25 and coming off an acl tear in his draft year. Plus Chris is not nearly as good a shooter with his weird form.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1837 » by Psubs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Dalek wrote:I certainly see the Boucher comparison. He is a blocks and threes guy who is skinny but maybe not as skinny as Chris.

I see first round talent because he is 20, healthy, and a former McDonald's all American. He is different from Boucher in that he can also shoot off movement. To have a mobile C who can space the floor is invaluable. Interestingly, Smith said that he mirrors his play after Serge Ibaka.

Boucher would have been draft worthy of he wasn't 25 and coming off an acl tear in his draft year. Plus Chris is not nearly as good a shooter with his weird form.

Oooooh Ibaka is a good comparison. I think Jalen has better potential for handles and we know he'll be 20 entering the league, whereas Serge's exact age is unknown. :D

Ya, Boucher has catapult action, whereas Jalen has more of a guard form.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#1838 » by OGLife » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:20 pm

Dalek wrote:
OGLife wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Dewan Hernandez!

I certainly see the Boucher comparison. He is a blocks and threes guy who is skinny but maybe not as skinny as Chris.

I just see Smith's offense being made easy for him. I just don't believe he will have any range outside the paint ala Boucher.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1839 » by Psubs » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:11 pm

OGLife wrote:I just see Smith's offense being made easy for him. I just don't believe he will have any range outside the paint ala Boucher.

I'd be fine with Clint Capela that can shoot from 3 and FTs.

Even in highschool you can see him start the break and a give and go for a dunk. Also quite a few drives starting from outside. I also like some of the drives and kick out to teammates for a 3.

Starting at 3:52. turn around J baseline, then next clip are 2 deep shots at NBA range at the top.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#1840 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:18 pm

What happened to Shamorie anyway, seems like he disappeared after we waived him

Return to Toronto Raptors