ImageImageImage

Mavs Schedule for Playoff Seeding (8 games)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Mavs Schedule for Playoff Seeding (8 games) 

Post#1 » by bran muffin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:12 pm

Mavs Schedule for Playoff Seeding:

• 7/31 - HOU
  • 8/02 - PHX
  • 8/04 - SAC
  • 8/06 - LAC
  • 8/08 - MIL
  • 8/10 - UTA
  • 8/11 - POR
  • 8/13 - PHX
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Re: Mavs Schedule for Playoff Seeding (8 games) 

Post#2 » by Mr B » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Did they announce start times for these games? Will the games be shown on Fox Sports, TNT, ESPN?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bran muffin
Starter

Post#3 » by bran muffin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:21 am

Mr B wrote:Did they announce start times for these games? Will the games be shown on Fox Sports, TNT, ESPN?

The Rockets and Bucks games will be on ESPN. Clippers game on TNT. And the Jazz game on NBATV.

I'm not sure if the rest will be broadcast on Fox Sports.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,753

Post#4 » by leolozon » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Weird that the Mavs start with their most important game. If they win that game against the Rockets, their odds of going to 6 and avoid the Clippers will be good. If they lose, they probably stay at 7, as it will be really hard to go 6-2 and move up. Maybe the Jazz, Rockets or Thunder fall apart, but 5-3 probably doesn't do it, right?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#5 » by HMFFL » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:40 pm

It must be said...We really have to wait another month? I know it's selfish of me!

I'm ready to see the team back on the court and making the best possible run we can. We will be shorthanded at some positions but our front office will be able to gauge how we can improve more this off-season. I feel very confident in our team. GO MAVS!!
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#6 » by Darren » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 am

Why not getting Carter for final playoff? It could be great for Carter and fans.
bran muffin
Starter

Post#7 » by bran muffin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:20 pm

The Mavs will need to win only 2 of their 8 games to guarantee themselves a spot in the playoffs. Alternatively if Memphis loses 2 of their 8 games, then the Mavs are in the playoffs no matter what

The Mavs can earn a higher playoff seed by winning 2 more games than HOU (or OKC). The Mavs will not play OKC this season, but they will play HOU on July 31. So if the Mavs win that game, they will need to win just 1 more game than the Rockets the rest of the way.

That will help them avoid a first round matchup with the Clippers. The Clippers would be an absolute nightmare for Luka with that Kawhi-PG13-Beverly defensive trio hounding him during a 7-game playoff series.

Utah and Denver are much preferable first round opponents. Utah already lost Bogndanovic for the season. Donovan Mitchell is literally the only scoring threat on that team now. Their next best scorer is Jordan Clarkson. Denver meanwhile is vulnerable without their high altitude home court. The past 2 seasons they were 59-15 at home but only 38-35 on the road.
ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 567

Post#8 » by ACMFFL » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:31 pm

I agree with bran muffin.
We struggled with Utah during this season but without Bojan I think we can overcome them.
Against LAC we've got zero chance.
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#9 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:38 pm

Im just ready for basketball win or lose lets get some action
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#10 » by BlueSan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Indeed and I wouldn't stress too much about who we get and whatnot.
People also seem to forget that Denver can very well pass Clippers who will be much more careful about playing PG and Kawhi and Lou Williams isn't even 100% sure thing yet.

So it could be Dallas plays Denver just based on that, no one mentions it, but here I go...

Also It's about the playoff experience for Dallas. I do not believe that Dallas with:
- Brunson out
- Powell out
- Lee out
- WCS opted out

that this Dallas team would be able to make it to the second round imo. But it will be a good experience for them and good stepping stone for potentially next season progress
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#11 » by Heezzi » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:11 am

BlueSan wrote:Indeed and I wouldn't stress too much about who we get and whatnot.
People also seem to forget that Denver can very well pass Clippers who will be much more careful about playing PG and Kawhi and Lou Williams isn't even 100% sure thing yet.

So it could be Dallas plays Denver just based on that, no one mentions it, but here I go...

Also It's about the playoff experience for Dallas. I do not believe that Dallas with:
- Brunson out
- Powell out
- Lee out
- WCS opted out

that this Dallas team would be able to make it to the second round imo. But it will be a good experience for them and good stepping stone for potentially next season progress

Besides Lee, how many of those players have Playoff Experience?
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#12 » by Darren » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:01 pm

How is the rotation work in case the Mavs end up signing no frontcourt player?

C - KP / Kleber / Boban
PF - DFS / MKG or Jackson
SF - Doncic / Reaves or Cleveland
SG - TH / Wright
PG - Curry / Barea / Burke

In case it is, MKG might actually play an important role on bench. I think MKG is more natural PF than SF. I'd prefer Reaves toughness over Jackson. I assume Jackson will get a lot of DNPs in playoff. I don't like the lack of interests and preparation from Jackson from time to time. I expect Jackson to be out of the NBA pretty soon. I'd rather give Reaves or Cleveland a try. I expect a small ball lineup most of the time expect for Boban vs Jokic matchup.
SOUNDCHASER
Sixth Man
And1: 279

Post#13 » by SOUNDCHASER » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:42 pm

Luka can play PF and be a point PF

Id expect him top play there some.

Obviously his position is PG but he will be the one with the ball in his hands no matter what else he does.

Shooters being around him are what is required. A lineup with one big is going to depend on match ups.

Shooters to spread out around Luka: Curry THJ Wright Barea Kleber DFS KP these are the guys who are allowed to shoot 3's

Preferably we see Curry and THJ getting a lot of these shots and it would really be nice to see Luka and KP up their %%%%'s That plus a Kleber sighting would improve our chances the scoring off the bench is going to depend largely on who starts. I want the above 5 to be the starters but coach may want to bring Curry off the bench and if that is the case DFS is likely the starter who gets in the lineup. someone has to play D I get it.

If that happens then Curry Wright Barea and Boban get to come in to rest the starters off the bench and so they need defensive help from our SF's who are **** at shooting. DFS has improved this year but he is lacking leadership on the court. He needs to be vocal more. Luka at SF means Wright or Barea at the small guard spot with THJ or Curry playing the 2.

Wright has the 3rd best three pointer on this team so if he shows up it would be nice and it would enhance our chances of winning.

These shooters plus Luka is 8 players to use on offense and in the play offs that is what you see playing usually. Boban can score inside when used so that is one more special weapon we have that others do not have and as he has proven he is an able scorer.

With Boban that is 9 offensive contributors and I am unsure of Burke being considered much of an offensive weapon till I see him play.

MKG in use as a defender only is likely in special situations if he earns it.

Jackson needs to earn minutes on this team to play in the playoffs and you do that by following directions to the T and performing in the capacity you are expected. Can he earn trust? Not if he is taking stupid shots from downtown his 3 pointer sucks.

Burke has scored well for a bench guy so he has trust if he can come in and fit in right away. He knows the system but we will see how he does in the 8 games.

We need to win as many games as we can to advance in the standings. We are behind significantly and that is unlikely unless we win all 8 games. No time to develop anyone you perform or you sit. Defensive mentality needs to be added in or you sit. This is not regular season anymore. You start playing play off style ball now or you sit.

Cleveland and Reaves are towel waivers. They need to root loudly and hope they do not get into the game. If they do we have already lost that game and coach is resting the others.

One last spot on the roster is open so maybe a big is brought in for insurance and I would hope we are taking a look at that option now.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#14 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 3:47 am

In playoff, it is likely that the rotation will be shorten to 8 to 9 players only. All key players will need to play at least 30-35 minutes. The rotation could be like this:

Luka (36) Wright (12)
Seth (32) Wright (16)
THJ (32) DFS (16)
DFS (20) Maxi (18) MKG/Jackson (10)
KP (36) Maxi (12)

In case of certain matchup, foul trouble or injury, Burke/Barea/Boban will play certain spot minutes. But I think the above 9 players rotation may be the best for DAL.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#15 » by BlueSan » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:20 am

Barea + Luka on the floor is a bad idea
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 3, 2020 6:09 am

Michaellam1987 wrote:In playoff, it is likely that the rotation will be shorten to 8 to 9 players only. All key players will need to play at least 30-35 minutes. The rotation could be like this:

Luka (36) Wright (12)
Seth (32) Wright (16)
THJ (32) DFS (16)
KP (36) Maxi (12)

In case of certain matchup, foul trouble or injury, Burke/Barea/Boban will play certain spot minutes. But I think the above 9 players rotation may be the best for DAL.

Yea in the playoffs the rotations usually shorten. I think this year the starters might play even more because everyone is fresh and healthy going in to these final 8 games and then the playoffs.

Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#17 » by Michaellam1987 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:11 am

Mr B wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:In playoff, it is likely that the rotation will be shorten to 8 to 9 players only. All key players will need to play at least 30-35 minutes. The rotation could be like this:

Luka (36) Wright (12)
Seth (32) Wright (16)
THJ (32) DFS (16)
KP (36) Maxi (12)

Yea in the playoffs the rotations usually shorten. I think this year the starters might play even more because everyone is fresh and healthy going in to these final 8 games and then the playoffs.

Beside the playing time allocation, it is also important to have better player substitution, 1) never to have our entire bench playing together in the first few minutes of the 4th quarter (which IMO is one of the reason why we lose so many close games). E.g. Wright + Jackson/MKG + DFS + Maxi + THJ/Seth. 2) Always have at least one of Luka/KP on the court in all 48 minutes, and 3) make better decision on our starter pairing, e.g. THJ and Maxi play better together with Luka, KP play well together with Seth, Maxi/KP together is not that efficient....etc, 4) need to adjust our line up, depending on our opponent, if we play LAC, we have to play more Maxi/MKG/DFS/Jackson, and less Wright/Seth, if we play DEN, we have to play bigger and play more Boban, etc
bran muffin
Starter

Post#18 » by bran muffin » Fri Jul 3, 2020 6:29 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:1) never to have our entire bench playing together in the first few minutes of the 4th quarter

2) Always have at least one of Luka/KP on the court in all 48 minutes,

That's easier said than done. Staggering Luka & KP's minutes is especially difficult because Luka and KP both must start the half, and both must also end the half. That makes it nearly impossible to keep both on the court at all times unless both of them are averaging 36+ mpg.

That is one of the reasons why JET had to come off the bench. It was much easier to always keep one of Dirk/Jet on the court since their minutes were already staggered at the start of each half. Dirk on the court, Jet on the bench.

Mavs would be better off if KP would come off the bench like JET did. That would greatly help with their rotation, and it would also help keep KP's minutes manageable (~30 mpg) for his long term health. But that would never happen for ego and marketing reasons. Coming off the bench would ruin KP's brand, which is something neither he nor Cuban wants.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#19 » by Mr B » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:10 pm

No way should KP be coming off the bench.

Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#20 » by Michaellam1987 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 11:09 am

bran muffin wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:1) never to have our entire bench playing together in the first few minutes of the 4th quarter

2) Always have at least one of Luka/KP on the court in all 48 minutes,

That's easier said than done. Staggering Luka & KP's minutes is especially difficult because Luka and KP both must start the half, and both must also end the half. That makes it nearly impossible to keep both on the court at all times unless both of them are averaging 36+ mpg.

That is one of the reasons why JET had to come off the bench. It was much easier to always keep one of Dirk/Jet on the court since their minutes were already staggered at the start of each half. Dirk on the court, Jet on the bench.

Mavs would be better off if KP would come off the bench like JET did. That would greatly help with their rotation, and it would also help keep KP's minutes manageable (~30 mpg) for his long term health. But that would never happen for ego and marketing reasons. Coming off the bench would ruin KP's brand, which is something neither he nor Cuban wants.

When playoff time comes, you have to play your best players 36+ mpg. we can keep KP in the first 3 minutes of 4th quarter, then take him out for few minutes rest, when Luka comes in at the same time, then put KP back in the last 6 minutes.

Return to Dallas Mavericks