ImageImageImageImageImage

Don't worry about the schedule. Only one game matters: Raptors vs. Celtics

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,523

Don't worry about the schedule. Only one game matters: Raptors vs. Celtics 

Post#1 » by ropjhk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:00 pm

I didn't see a topic on this yet, though no doubt some of you would have already noticed. Maybe this can be the unofficial pre-game thread.

As you all know by now the Raptors have the toughest schedule while the Celtics have it pretty easy. The disparity is so bad that even a 3 game lead in the standings is not safe over the last 8 games. However, included in that 8 game schedule is a matchup between the Raptors and the Celtics. That game is extra important because it will decide the tiebreaker.

Currently the Celtics hold the tiebreaker over the Raptors, but if the Raptors win against the Celtics they will own the tiebreaker due to a better divisional win percentage (Raptors currently 8-4, Celts 7-6). There's no way for the Celtics to catch up to the Raptors on divisional record if they lose to the Raptors.

A win or a loss against the Celtics is the difference between having a 2 game cushion vs a 5 game cushion over the other 7 games. That's a huge swing in the standings. If the Raptors beat the Celtics they will almost certainly hold onto the #2 seed.

If the Raptors lose the #2 seed early they will be faced with a tough decision vs the Sixers. Would the Raptors rather lose that game to help set up a matchup against the Pacers in the first round?

Raptors Schedule:
Lakers
Heat
Magic
Celtics
Grizzlies
Bucks
Sixers
Nuggets

Celtics Schedule:
Bucks
Blazers
Heat
Nets
Raptors
Magic
Grizzlies
Wizards

2 team tiebreaker rules:
1. Better record in head-to-head games
2. Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division)
3. Higher winning percentage within division (if teams are in the same division)
4. Higher winning percentage in conference games
5. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in own conference
6. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in opposite conference
7. Higher point differential between points scored and points allowed
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: Don't worry about the schedule. Only one game matters: Raptors vs. Celtics 

Post#2 » by seanbig » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Is there any difference between 2 and 3 seed? I guess you can argue the first round matchup would be harder but at the end of the day we need to beat the best to you know....
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Post#3 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 pm

As long as McCaw doesn't play, there's no reason to be worried.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 pm

seanbig wrote:Is there any difference between 2 and 3 seed? I guess you can argue the first round matchup would be harder but at the end of the day we need to beat the best to you know....

A 10-15% better chance of advancing out of the 1st round is not nothing.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,741

Post#5 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:25 pm

Are they not seeding this from 1-16 anymore?
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#6 » by kalel123 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:33 pm

I'm beyond worrying about seeding at this point. I really just want to see them in the playoffs and see how they respond. I really want them to show that they are for real even without Kawhi. Unless you are talking about us dropping to 4 seed, they just gotta beat down whoever they face in first and second round and play tough in ECF if not win. That's what I want to see.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Post#7 » by Parataxis » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:33 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
seanbig wrote:Is there any difference between 2 and 3 seed? I guess you can argue the first round matchup would be harder but at the end of the day we need to beat the best to you know....

It really is though. You don't get a parade for getting to the 2nd round. Raps aren't some plucky also-rans who are just happy to be there.

The goal is getting to the finals (and ideally, winning them). Losing in the first round, or losing in the second round makes no bones to me.
Ganjamayne
Starter
And1: 5,308

Post#8 » by Ganjamayne » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:39 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Are they not seeding this from 1-16 anymore?

Completely forgot about this lmao. Guessing not otherwise I'm sure ESPN would have beaten the topic to death
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#9 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:23 pm

Parataxis wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

It really is though. You don't get a parade for getting to the 2nd round. Raps aren't some plucky also-rans who are just happy to be there.

The goal is getting to the finals (and ideally, winning them). Losing in the first round, or losing in the second round makes no bones to me.

Even if you don't put much stock in the additional 10-15% chance of advancement, you don't think it affects a team later in the playoffs if they are forced to play a grind-it-out 6-7 game series in the 1st round?

I'll take another Orlando myself.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#10 » by Asif16 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:10 am

Nah thats out the window
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#11 » by Asif16 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:13 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:

2 very good teams will get eliminated in the 1st rd between Sixers/Celtics/Heat/Pacers, assuming the seeding holds. I would say the % will be much higher than just 10-15%.

We're talking about going from facing either the Magic or Nets (without Kyrie and Durant) to one of those 4 teams above. I say that makes a huge difference
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#12 » by Randle McMurphy » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:15 am

Asif16 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

2 very good teams will get eliminated in the 1st rd between Sixers/Celtics/Heat/Pacers, assuming the seeding holds. I would say the % will be much higher than just 10-15%.

We're talking about going from facing either the Magic or Nets (without Kyrie and Durant) to one of those 4 teams above. I say that makes a huge difference

It's likely closer to 10% than 15% judging by these projections:
Read on Twitter

Again, still not nothing.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#13 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:58 pm

seeding within the conference.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#14 » by dacrusha » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:33 pm

There’s a 95% chance we are playing Orlando or Brooklyn in the 1st round... and if by some fluke we slip to the 3 seed, there’s still a better chance that we meet the Pacers than anyone else.

With all neutral site games and no distinct HCA, I’m not sure any of this is worth worrying about: it’s ’best team wins’ and Raptors are right there with the top 4 in the league.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#15 » by Son Goku 25 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:50 pm

Ye, home court isn't a thing this year we basically just gotta make sure we are ready and healthy and in groove.. id like to avoid the sixers in the first round though
Read
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,523

Post#16 » by ropjhk » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:57 pm

First round matchup matters. It could be the difference between an easy sweep vs. a tough loss.

I would love it if the Raptors can treat the remaining regular season games like the preseason to get ready for the playoffs. The Celtics may not let that happen. If the Raptors win that Celtics game they can relax for the remainder of the schedule and maybe even use the first round to further prepare for the 2nd round.

Return to Toronto Raptors