ImageImageImage

Beasley key to draft

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Beasley key to draft 

Post#1 » by Norseman79 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:52 pm

What the Timberwolves decide to do with Malik Beasley is the key cog to this draft for MN. Signing Beasley, at the price he is likely to get, indicates the backcourt being set for years to come. This means a forward heavy draft. I also believe it increases the chance of picks being moved. Players such as Gordon, Grant, Anunoby, and others become more in play. However, in the event Beasley is too expensive, Anthony Edwards grows in importance. Unless the Wolves are able to land a whale - Beal or Booker, Culver or Okoge take a major offensive step forward, or another dark-horse type of player emerges, the need to add a legit scoring option at the guard position arises. The price for those types of players is often steep. Perhaps where a sign and trade comes in to play. This brings us back to Beasley and the importance he brings to our offseason. Regardless, the Wolves will have holes remaining no matter what, Rome wasn't built in a day, but how many and how big those holes are remains to be seen.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,573

Re: Beasley key to draft 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:04 pm

Norseman79 wrote:What the Timberwolves decide to do with Malik Beasley is the key cog to this draft for MN. Signing Beasley, at the price he is likely to get, indicates the backcourt being set for years to come. This means a forward heavy draft. I also believe it increases the chance of picks being moved. Players such as Gordon, Grant, Anunoby, and others become more in play. However, in the event Beasley is too expensive, Anthony Edwards grows in importance. Unless the Wolves are able to land a whale - Beal or Booker, Culver or Okoge take a major offensive step forward, or another dark-horse type of player emerges, the need to add a legit scoring option at the guard position arises. The price for those types of players is often steep. Perhaps where a sign and trade comes in to play. This brings us back to Beasley and the importance he brings to our offseason. Regardless, the Wolves will have holes remaining no matter what, Rome wasn't built in a day, but how many and how big those holes are remains to be seen.

I view this as a depth draft over being a key contributor draft, so it's more how said prospects complement the key pieces on the roster. I believe Beasley is a part of that list, as are of course Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by Norseman79 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:19 pm

Klomp wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:What the Timberwolves decide to do with Malik Beasley is the key cog to this draft for MN. Signing Beasley, at the price he is likely to get, indicates the backcourt being set for years to come. This means a forward heavy draft. I also believe it increases the chance of picks being moved. Players such as Gordon, Grant, Anunoby, and others become more in play. However, in the event Beasley is too expensive, Anthony Edwards grows in importance. Unless the Wolves are able to land a whale - Beal or Booker, Culver or Okoge take a major offensive step forward, or another dark-horse type of player emerges, the need to add a legit scoring option at the guard position arises. The price for those types of players is often steep. Perhaps where a sign and trade comes in to play. This brings us back to Beasley and the importance he brings to our offseason. Regardless, the Wolves will have holes remaining no matter what, Rome wasn't built in a day, but how many and how big those holes are remains to be seen.

I view this as a depth draft over being a key contributor draft, so it's more how said prospects complement the key pieces on the roster. I believe Beasley is a part of that list, as are of course Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell.

I do agree, but what do they do if Beasley is too expensive? Does that make Edwards the obvious target?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:38 pm

Norseman79 wrote:I do agree, but what do they do if Beasley is too expensive? Does that make Edwards the obvious target?

I'm sure they already have a pretty good idea of how much they can afford to pay Beasley and what they need to do if he gets above the number.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#5 » by minimus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:46 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

I do agree, but what do they do if Beasley is too expensive? Does that make Edwards the obvious target?

I think every player except DLo and KAT are viewed as assets.We have a few examples how it is different from "coach vision" of Thibs. I mean Thibs acted as coach during all his GMs activities.

* - Rosas drafted Nowell and negotiated Nowell deal until it becomes team-friendly deal.
* - Rosas traded Saric who does not want to play here to get Culver. Spellman will be traded/waived next.
* - Rosas traded Wiggins despite his contract.
* - Rosas traded for Napier, Graham, signed Napier, Vonleh, Bell and... traded all of them.
* - he let my favorite player Tyus go. He traded KBD, another my favorite player. We got JMac, Kelan Martin and Vanderbilt.

It means that Rosas is open to explore every possibility to improve this roster by using scouting, trades, FA negotiations and draft. I dont see Beasley choosing QO over long-term contract. I think he will sign a fair deal with us or get traded in S&T into not better than MIN team such as ATL, DET, CHA, NYK. All these teams will be in rebuilding mode for at least 2-3 seasons more. I just dont see why Malik wants to go there. Anyway, DLo last minute deal is another example how Rosas gambles on calculated risks. This autumn it will be another "high stakes game" and I really wont sleep well during that offseason window until we Beasley situation will be resolved.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#6 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 pm

I don’t think Beasley has any impact on the Wolves trying to add talent. I think that Beasley would be best in the Eric Gordon/JJ Reddick role off the bench. Very solid starter, but potential 6th man of the year candidate off the bench.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:52 pm

I think Beasley would only be dealt for a Booker type of talent, which I don't believe will happen this offseason

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#8 » by Dewey » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 pm

I like Beasley, but not 100% sure he is a legit playoff caliber SG. Also the combo of DLo and Beasley is a little awkward, specifically, getting to the basket in crunch-time. I will say Beasley did improve, but I do not know his real upside/topside. McLaughlin sees driving lanes, but Culver and Okogie are generally limited. If we are gonna sign some serious $$$ for a wing, we gotta have atleast one player that can go A to B and finish. Personally, I'd like to keep Beasley IF he wants to be here and draft a SF that can get to the basket and roll with it for a year.

We got alot of work to do with this roster, but I like DLo, Beasley, and KAT as failry cold-blooded shooters ... I like Hermangomez and Layman as shooters off the bench. From here, we really gotta take a hard look at both of the forward positions.

DLo
Beasley
Avdija
Vet?
KAT
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#9 » by K4P » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:25 pm

If Edwards is on the board I think he's absolutely a no-brainer regardless of who is on the roster. He has potential to be a much better fit next to Russell as a big physical guard that can get to the rim and create offense off the dribble, as well as play some man defense.

Beasley (as Klomp said) is probably best utilized as a prime trade piece toward a high level guard/wing that becomes available.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Post#10 » by Calinks » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:16 pm

Isn't Edwards the "low motor" guy? After Wiggins, Wesley Johnson, Marko Jaric, and Derrick Williams do you really want to go through another 3-5 years of that again? Keep me far away from Low motor athletes. I'm done. At least with a value pick, if they blow up somewhere else good for them but I don't want the headache.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,962

Post#11 » by shrink » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:02 pm

1. I agree with the OP, that retaining Beasley has an effect on our draft, but if we are at the top of the lottery, it won’t affect us taking the kid that Rosas thinks is the BAP.

2. I suspect we didn’t trade the HOU 1st for Beasley without some expectation we would be able to re-sign him with his Bird rights. This was done before Coronavirus mutilated the BRE, so that the price for free agents came into such question, so who knows now?

3. For those that are new to free agency, there are three groups of teams that can make Beasley offers. The ones over the lux, that can start a deal at $5-6 mil with the tax-payers mid level exception, the teams over the cap but under the lux who can offer the full MLE ($9-$10), and the teams under the cap, who can offer as much cap space as they have. MIN, with his Bird rights, can offer whatever they want, regardless of their cap situation, and with his restricted FA rights, can match any offer he receives from another team.

4. Beasley has never been well paid, so I think he will be attracted to the highest offer - but in a location that gives him the best opportunities for his future contracts. Here in MIN he finally got starter minutes and played fairly well, so I assume that gives us the inside track. I doubt he’d consider a tax-payer MLE deal, the teams under the cap aren’t that exciting, and the final offer will be similar to the full MLE. He’ll try to get a little bit more, to save face from declining the 3 for $30 extension DEN offered him. I think it’s highly likely he stays with us.

5. I know a lot of posters like Beasley, but he is not worth much more than the MLE. Our optimum player would be a guy that’s good at three and D, and with some size to switch onto other players. Beasley is a Good scorer, but he is a below average defender, and he doesn’t have the size to really be more than SG. There are a lot of players in the NBA like this, and if people are willing to accept a guy that is 90% of what Beasley is, you can get them very cheaply.

6. In the end, I hope they have found a piece in Beasley, but his defense next to DeAngelo Russell is worrisome, and he shouldn’t be a lynchpin that we would completely change a course of direction if other opportunities came up.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by Norseman79 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:58 pm

Another player I like if Beas bolts is Aaron Nesmith. This is what's hard about not having tourney, or combine, or such. I am no Edwards fan, but from scoring standpoint, he is different than others projected that high.

The whole reason I said Edwards becomes the target is I think 1-5 or so are about equal... different positions, strengths and concerns but overall score wise equal. Now floors and ceilings are all over the place.

Back to the original point, I do believe that Beasley is a bigger piece to this team than what many are giving him credit for being, especially how Rosa's wants to play
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:26 pm

shrink wrote:5. I know a lot of posters like Beasley, but he is not worth much more than the MLE. Our optimum player would be a guy that’s good at three and D, and with some size to switch onto other players. Beasley is a Good scorer, but he is a below average defender, and he doesn’t have the size to really be more than SG. There are a lot of players in the NBA like this, and if people are willing to accept a guy that is 90% of what Beasley is, you can get them very cheaply.

6. In the end, I hope they have found a piece in Beasley, but his defense next to DeAngelo Russell is worrisome, and he shouldn’t be a lynchpin that we would completely change a course of direction if other opportunities came up.

First of all, I think you pretty well nailed all of the potential cap ramifications in the first few points of your post (as per usual).

However, I'm not sure everyone is giving Beasley the credit he is due. Yes he has limitations, but as far as what he does bring to the table, I don't think it's fair to say someone with 90% of his ability could be had very cheaply. I think that's somewhat underselling what Beasley has produced (in a limited sample size, I understand).

I think it's interesting the similarities in his per100 numbers. He didn't get the volume of opportunities in Denver, but he produced when he got his chance. He produced once he got to Minnesota, at an even higher rate of accuracy.

Read on Twitter

People are so quick to point out what he can't do, when I think people should look at what he can do. I honestly don't think he's a huge step down from Zach LaVine, for example. Many of the same pros and cons in their games.

Should he stop us from acquiring a Devin Booker or other star player? No, but I don't think we need to be actively looking to replace him for bargain bin buys. Looking for a 80-90% player on the cheap is how you end up with guys like Mike Miller, Cam Reynolds or Brandon Rush in your rotation rather than paying up for quality.

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,167

Post#14 » by Neeva » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:06 am

What showed to me last draft(taking Culver over white) is that Rosas will take the player available with the most perceived value on draft day. If wolves remain at 3 Rosas will probably take edwards or Ball and worry about the fit later.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Post#15 » by Calinks » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:45 am

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:5. I know a lot of posters like Beasley, but he is not worth much more than the MLE. Our optimum player would be a guy that’s good at three and D, and with some size to switch onto other players. Beasley is a Good scorer, but he is a below average defender, and he doesn’t have the size to really be more than SG. There are a lot of players in the NBA like this, and if people are willing to accept a guy that is 90% of what Beasley is, you can get them very cheaply.

First of all, I think you pretty well nailed all of the potential cap ramifications in the first few points of your post (as per usual).

However, I'm not sure everyone is giving Beasley the credit he is due. Yes he has limitations, but as far as what he does bring to the table, I don't think it's fair to say someone with 90% of his ability could be had very cheaply. I think that's somewhat underselling what Beasley has produced (in a limited sample size, I understand).

I think it's interesting the similarities in his per100 numbers. He didn't get the volume of opportunities in Denver, but he produced when he got his chance. He produced once he got to Minnesota, at an even higher rate of accuracy.

Read on Twitter

People are so quick to point out what he can't do, when I think people should look at what he can do. I honestly don't think he's a huge step down from Zach LaVine, for example. Many of the same pros and cons in their games.

Should he stop us from acquiring a Devin Booker or other star player? No, but I don't think we need to be actively looking to replace him for bargain bin buys. Looking for a 80-90% player on the cheap is how you end up with guys like Mike Miller, Cam Reynolds or Brandon Rush in your rotation rather than paying up for quality.

I do think he may be sold a bit short. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say he has a really high chance at being the best 2 guard we have ever had. He's also still just 23. I think Zach is a good comp in that, he's not magnitudes lower than Lavine talent-wise. He is a step below but to get a guy like that out of nowhere, its a great move. Beasley could still blow up too and be a top 10 SG in our system.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#16 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:22 am

Mattya wrote:I don’t think Beasley has any impact on the Wolves trying to add talent. I think that Beasley would be best in the Eric Gordon/JJ Reddick role off the bench. Very solid starter, but potential 6th man of the year candidate off the bench.

I don't share this thinking at all. If someone thinking like you happens to be pulling any strings while trying to work out a Beasley deal to stay we are likely to lose him and be stuck with another garbage draft rookie that can't shoot and needs work on everthing yet and likely puts in half the effort Beasley does in games. It would be such a step backwards from where they are right now that if that happens I'll be first in line holding the can Rosas signs. I already saw a player he traded up for. I already saw him believe he should insert him into starting lineups in error. Don't want to see this again. I don't know about you and some of the others. But I'm done waiting 5 or more years for the team to figure out what we can already see. I'm done watching scrub developing players start here. That is what bench minutes are for. Either Rosas is the GM that starts doing things better with young draft picks or bring in the next GM. I'm with him if he can improve this.

Show us all the Lebron ready players in this draft that are going to deserve to push Beasley to 6th man. None deserve it, zero have proved it, zero deserve the hype and the projectionss people will offer the top 10 players. You think I'm going to believe the team's judgement again after I saw them hide Culver all offseason and then insert him in starting lineups unready like they did? Beasley has actually earned a starting role by proving skill and working his tail off. I don't care that many here seem to be trying really hard to talk him down and pray they can rip this kid off with a cheezeball deal just so they can go blow the remainder on jokes their imagination is running with right now. Many have had to find more enjoyment in the process of finding players than they could get out of the team playing for ages. I understand it, but to get out of the gutters this team has to change and it starts with the end of rolling a bunch of hope and imagination into a ball and calling them a developing starter.

Beasley was shooting 42.6% threes for us. He's shot over 40% in another season for Denver. This is rarified air your breathing right now with him around here. This is what the system Rosas brought in absolutely needs before all else. Unless you are going to show me a draft pick that can do that right now while offering something additional, don't do it. Please don't even think about it.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#17 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:39 am

Calinks wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Read on Twitter

I do think he may be sold a bit short. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say he has a really high chance at being the best 2 guard we have ever had. He's also still just 23. I think Zach is a good comp in that, he's not magnitudes lower than Lavine talent-wise. He is a step below but to get a guy like that out of nowhere, its a great move. Beasley could still blow up too and be a top 10 SG in our system.

Finally a few posts I can agree with. My sanity thanks you.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#18 » by Mattya » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:44 am

Jedzz wrote:
Mattya wrote:I don’t think Beasley has any impact on the Wolves trying to add talent. I think that Beasley would be best in the Eric Gordon/JJ Reddick role off the bench. Very solid starter, but potential 6th man of the year candidate off the bench.

I don't share this thinking at all. If someone thinking like you happens to be pulling any strings while trying to work out a Beasley deal to stay we are likely to lose him and be stuck with another garbage draft rookie that can't shoot and needs work on everthing yet and likely puts in half the effort Beasley does in games. It would be such a step backwards from where they are right now that if that happens I'll be first in line holding the can Rosas signs. I already saw a player he traded up for. I already saw him believe he should insert him into starting lineups in error. Don't want to see this again. I don't know about you and some of the others. But I'm done waiting 5 or more years for the team to figure out what we can already see. I'm done watching scrub developing players start here. That is what bench minutes are for. Either Rosas is the GM that starts doing things better with young draft picks or bring in the next GM. I'm with him if he can improve this.

Show us all the Lebron ready players in this draft that are going to deserve to push Beasley to 6th man. None deserve it, zero have proved it, zero deserve the hype and the projectionss people will offer the top 10 players. You think I'm going to believe the team's judgement again after I saw them hide Culver all offseason and then insert him in starting lineups unready like they did? Beasley has actually earned a starting role by proving skill and working his tail off. I don't care that many here seem to be trying really hard to talk him down and pray they can rip this kid off with a cheezeball deal just so they can go blow the remainder on jokes their imagination is running with right now. Many have had to find more enjoyment in the process of finding players than they could get out of the team playing for ages. I understand it, but to get out of the gutters this team has to change and it starts with the end of rolling a bunch of hope and imagination into a ball and calling them a developing starter.

Beasley was shooting 42.6% threes for us. He's shot over 40% in another season for Denver. This is rarified air your breathing right now with him around here. This is what the system Rosas brought in absolutely needs before all else. Unless you are going to show me a draft pick that can do that right now while offering something additional, don't do it. Please don't even think about it.

Sir this is an Arby’s.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#19 » by King Malta » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:57 am

old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#20 » by old school 34 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:02 am

Calinks wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Read on Twitter

I like Beasley but think it's definitely fair to stay objective about the evaluation. Shrink...get your point some about not falling too in love but saying you can get 90% of him for peanuts...maybe a little too far as well...he's a damn good shooter....healthy history is good...shows has the ability to play big minutes dependent on role...& young enough with minimal opportunities that parts of his game could still develop (defense and ball handling)....as is Lavine/ Eric Gordon comps make sense...Gordon with Rosas in Houston they traded for him on a bargain deal and now paying him 16, 18, 20 mil about if memory serves?

Love to have him back @ the right price...ideally we'd have enough talent his in an EG like role but we don't have enough talent to go there yet....so he probably starts for now...finding the right SF & PF that complements those other 3 could be difficult to find....need both to be above avg defensively and offer some decent length for the positions...still need to help KAT rebounding wise and need at least one be a secondary playmaker with how I think Rosas is looking to play. That all said, still think that makes Beasley your point of attack defender most likely assuming your don't go smaller than I'd prefer @ the 3....something that maybe he could develop into & actually what I feel has to happen at an above avg level if it's gonna work @ a playoff caliber level with those 3 in the starting lineup.

If he is moved it's a star hunting S&T or for that longer wing type...that unfortunately this draft lacks those star power types...got some role player ceiling types that fit but not the studs.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves