8th 9th Seed in the west.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,281

Re: 8th 9th Seed in the west. 

Post#21 » by Dacost » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:13 pm

I just don't see Memphis Bombing the season they will probably go .500 and play in a play in game either as the 8th or 9th seat.

Now for the play in game or games anything can happend.

The Grizzlies had injury's in JJJ and Clarke plus the Iggy issues /Winslow .

NOLA lost Favors and Zion was not at 100%.

Blazers are getting their guys back.

Kings will be at 100% aswell.

With everyone at 100% things could chance and we have no idea how.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#22 » by Catchall » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:20 am

A big factor is that a lot of the playoff teams don't have anything really to play for.

Lakers will clinch the #1 seed even if they go 2-6 and the Clippers go 7-1. Their playoff draw is no worse even if they fall to the #2 seed. Are they going to play guys full rotation minutes, or will they treat the games as intense scrimmages for 24 - 36 mins?

Spurs might prefer to play their young guys and draft in the lottery. They'll play hard though.

Mavs are 3 games in the loss column behind the 6th seed. To catch up, they'd have to go 6-2 while the Thunder or Rockets go 3-5. If that scenario is no longer on the table, they might not play guys heavy minutes either.

With no homecourt advantage to compete for, I'm not sure if teams seeded in the 3-6 range of either conference really care much about what seed they end up in.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,979

Post#23 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:58 am

Crizzle wrote:think NO will get the 9th because of their schedule. Trust in Ja and JJJ :pray: :pray:

trust JJJJJJ
(Jah, Jaren Jackson Junior, Jonas and Justice)
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#24 » by Crizzle » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:57 am

jamaalstar21 wrote:
Crizzle wrote:think NO will get the 9th because of their schedule. Trust in Ja and JJJ :pray: :pray:

trust JJJJJJ

no Jenkins?
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#25 » by Sactowndog » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:10 am

Jon1798 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:They will do anything to get Zion in. They already made the entire format with Zion in mind, so if you don't think they're going to slam the Grizzlies and give Pels FTA for days you've got another thing coming.

Pelicans got screwed about 5 different ways. The way their original schedule was setup to start with all of their tough games at the beginning of the year. Then being the odds on favorite to take the 8th and this happening, now they play less games against tougher teams than they were set to face. They have to stay in front of a now healthy Portland team and close to a now healthy Memphis team, and even THEN they have to beat Memphis twice. And oh yeah, let’s throw their two toughest matchups in the first two games to make sure those teams try hard. Same as the regular season. Nothing the league has done has been to the benefit of the Pelicans, unless you mean the fact they simply didn’t end their season early entirely.

Here is to hoping they overlook the Kings like you.
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#26 » by Sactowndog » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:14 am

Dacost wrote:I just don't see Memphis Bombing the season they will probably go .500 and play in a play in game either as the 8th or 9th seat.

Now for the play in game or games anything can happend.

The Grizzlies had injury's in JJJ and Clarke plus the Iggy issues /Winslow .

NOLA lost Favors and Zion was not at 100%.

Blazers are getting their guys back.

Kings will be at 100% aswell.

With everyone at 100% things could chance and we have no idea how.

If Memphis goes .500 they can only be the 8th seed.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,974

Post#27 » by Mr Puddles » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:15 am

jamaalstar21 wrote:

trust JJJJJJ

Josh Jackson is on the team too if you want to add a couple more J's :wink:
Spoiler:
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#28 » by leolozon » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:36 pm

Catchall wrote:A big factor is that a lot of the playoff teams don't have anything really to play for.

Lakers will clinch the #1 seed even if they go 2-6 and the Clippers go 7-1. Their playoff draw is no worse even if they fall to the #2 seed. Are they going to play guys full rotation minutes, or will they treat the games as intense scrimmages for 24 - 36 mins?

Spurs might prefer to play their young guys and draft in the lottery. They'll play hard though.

Mavs are 3 games in the loss column behind the 6th seed. To catch up, they'd have to go 6-2 while the Thunder or Rockets go 3-5. If that scenario is no longer on the table, they might not play guys heavy minutes either.

With no homecourt advantage to compete for, I'm not sure if teams seeded in the 3-6 range of either conference really care much about what seed they end up in.

They are actually 1.5 games behind the 5th and 6th seed. So if they go 6-2 (.613) and either the Rockets or Thunder go 4-4 (.611), then they take the 6th seed. Mavs-Rockets is the first game though, so if they lose that first game and OKC beats Utah, their odds of finishing 7th no matter what they do will be pretty high.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,882
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#29 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:33 pm

The Pelicans had the easiest schedule over the last 18 games of the season, but somehow we are lucky and privileged to have to try and make up the 3.5 games we're back in 8 games full of playoff teams, or teams fighting for the last spot, instead of 18 games that include a mixture of teams that are completely **** or completely out of the playoff race and shutting guys down.

We need a complete collapse by a bunch of teams, and we need to almost sweep these 8 games to even have a shot at it. The conspiracy theorists really need to get their panties untwisted.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,979

Post#30 » by cupcakesnake » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:43 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:

trust JJJJJJ

Josh Jackson is on the team too if you want to add a couple more J's :wink:

Crizzle wrote:no Jenkins?

Knew I would regret not taking a quick peek at the roster. There is also two way contract John Kohn Kochar and Johntay Porter (Michael Porter Jr's brother)

Welcome to the
JJJJJJJJJJJ
Grizzlies
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Crizzle
Rookie

Post#31 » by Crizzle » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:49 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:The Pelicans had the easiest schedule over the last 18 games of the season, but somehow we are lucky and privileged to have to try and make up the 3.5 games we're back in 8 games full of playoff teams, or teams fighting for the last spot, instead of 18 games that include a mixture of teams that are completely **** or completely out of the playoff race and shutting guys down.

We need a complete collapse by a bunch of teams, and we need to almost sweep these 8 games to even have a shot at it. The conspiracy theorists really need to get their panties untwisted.

all im saying is that with the health risks of adding 6 more teams and all the staffs to the bubble, the league could have easily decided to go straight to the playoffs
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#32 » by leolozon » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:20 pm

Crizzle wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:The Pelicans had the easiest schedule over the last 18 games of the season, but somehow we are lucky and privileged to have to try and make up the 3.5 games we're back in 8 games full of playoff teams, or teams fighting for the last spot, instead of 18 games that include a mixture of teams that are completely **** or completely out of the playoff race and shutting guys down.

all im saying is that with the health risks of adding 6 more teams and all the staffs to the bubble, the league could have easily decided to go straight to the playoffs

Easily? Wouldn't they have lost part of the TV money? I don't think it's an "easy" decision. Plus the teams will need a "preseason" and the 8 RS games act like it. If anything, they could have only brought up 20 teams. They didn't need to include the Suns or the Wizards or even the Spurs. Those teams, and not the Pels, are the first teams that should have been out.
Crizzle
Rookie

Post#33 » by Crizzle » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:07 pm

leolozon wrote:
Crizzle wrote:

Easily? Wouldn't they have lost part of the TV money? I don't think it's an "easy" decision. Plus the teams will need a "preseason" and the 8 RS games act like it. If anything, they could have only brought up 20 teams. They didn't need to include the Suns or the Wizards or even the Spurs. Those teams, and not the Pels, are the first teams that should have been out.

we are in the middle of a fvkcing pandemic. none of the decisions are easy. being a grizz fan , yeah i would have like to have cemented a play off birth, but i agree that they did a pretty good job with setting up the 8 games and possible play in games. Not just for fairness for the teams trailing behind, but for the tv money as well. Its not like any team is going to get past the lakers anyway. But getting that playoff experience if you are the young grizz, pels, and ESPECIALLY for the kings, is the main prize here
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#34 » by matt6715 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:39 pm

The New Orleans-Memphis play in games would be incredible.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#35 » by Metallikid » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:27 pm

The Pelicans will go 7-1 and lose to the Clippers.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#36 » by God Squad » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:50 pm

League building the Morant versus Zion hype. Memphis vs New Orleans. Honestly I like it.
Crizzle
Rookie

Post#37 » by Crizzle » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:48 am

God Squad wrote:League building the Morant versus Zion hype. Memphis vs New Orleans. Honestly I like it.

yeah Im here for it :nod:

You could argue that they are the two most exciting players in the league
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#38 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:01 am

The only person that cares about the 8th seed in the West is the NBA marketing department.

They made this entire thing to get Zion in there.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,576

Post#39 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:07 am

Looks like the Nets are going to tank so they can keep their pick. That means the Magic could have a rematch with the Raptors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Post#40 » by MemphisX » Thu Jul 2, 2020 3:23 am

Honestly, I can't call it at all until I see these teams. Teams can look so different from one season to the next and we basically had an off-season. Don't know who was putting in work. Don't know which vets will hit the wall. Don't know if a young guy will take the next step.

Uncharted territory...
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g

Return to The General Board