2020 NBA Draft prospects

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Re: 2020 NBA Draft prospects 

Post#921 » by Norseman79 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:Vassell really looks like a smaller version of Roco to me. I think he might have some ability to shoot off screens, but he looks extremely limited handling the ball and getting to the rim.

I think we would draft Onyeka over Toppin. He doesn’t have as developed passing or outside shooting but he is a similar lob threat and a better defensive player in every aspect. I just don’t know if that is the type of offensive fit Rosas is looking to put in the rotation.

Yeah I don't think anyone would be drafting Vassell for on-ball creation ability. He can be a high-end role player a la Danny Green, but not sure much more should be projected.

And, let's be honest, Danny Green in his prime is a great fit for our roster
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,935

Post#922 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 pm

SmokeyPaw wrote:With Dimwiddie out I think the chances of the brooklyn pick conveying are sleight

I'll be surprised if Washington wins more than 2 of the 8 games. If that is the case the Nets only need to win once to keep their playoff spot. The Nets play Orlando twice, Washington once, and Sacramento once, so there is a pretty good chance they pull out at least one win. My guess is the Nets would need to go 0-10 to miss the playoffs.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#923 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:Vassell really looks like a smaller version of Roco to me. I think he might have some ability to shoot off screens, but he looks extremely limited handling the ball and getting to the rim.

I think we would draft Onyeka over Toppin. He doesn’t have as developed passing or outside shooting but he is a similar lob threat and a better defensive player in every aspect. I just don’t know if that is the type of offensive fit Rosas is looking to put in the rotation.

Yeah I don't think anyone would be drafting Vassell for on-ball creation ability. He can be a high-end role player a la Danny Green, but not sure much more should be projected.

I just don’t know if Vassell’s upside warrants reaching to pick him. That is someone you trade back for and get extra assets. His highlights are suspiciously lacking clips of him getting to the rim. Maybe he won’t need to with this team, but I worry his efficiency is going to be kind of bad. Unless he can make it up by getting to the line through offensive rebounding.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#924 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 pm

I'm reminded somewhat of 2014. There was an American prospect and an international prospect with somewhat similar profiles, but Flip Saunders talked multiple times about how the American prospect was scrutinized more by scouts and the media while the international prospect had flaws looked over by some people.

I somewhat wonder if something similar could happen this year with this class, especially since so many of the highly-rated prospects are internationals.

BTW those prospects were No. 5 pick Dante Exum and No. 13 pick Zach LaVine.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#925 » by Neeva » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:07 pm

Klomp wrote:I'm reminded somewhat of 2014. There was an American prospect and an international prospect with somewhat similar profiles, but Flip Saunders talked multiple times about how the American prospect was scrutinized more by scouts and the media while the international prospect had flaws looked over by some people.

I somewhat wonder if something similar could happen this year with this class, especially since so many of the highly-rated prospects are internationals.

Unfortunately the year prior he picked the american( shabazz) over the international(greak freak) also.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,046

Post#926 » by shangrila » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 pm

Klomp wrote:I'm reminded somewhat of 2014. There was an American prospect and an international prospect with somewhat similar profiles, but Flip Saunders talked multiple times about how the American prospect was scrutinized more by scouts and the media while the international prospect had flaws looked over by some people.

People seem to be doing just fine overlooking the Americans' flaws as is.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#927 » by Klomp » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:30 pm

Neeva wrote:Unfortunately the year prior he picked the american( shabazz) over the international(greak freak) also.

Yes he did. But Giannis' ascension was literally a freak thing. I don't think anyone could've seen that coming, especially with how late he came onto the scene in the draft season. But yes, that's easily my biggest disappointment from the Flip regime and I even said at the time that I personally would've taken Giannis.....but I do understand why he did it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#928 » by Mattya » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:32 pm

Klomp wrote:
Neeva wrote:Unfortunately the year prior he picked the american( shabazz) over the international(greak freak) also.

Yes he did. But Giannis' ascension was literally a freak thing. I don't think anyone could've seen that coming, especially with how late he came onto the scene in the draft season. But yes, that's easily my biggest disappointment from the Flip regime and I even said at the time that I personally would've taken Giannis.....but I do understand why he did it.

That could have been one of the single best drafts a team could ever have if we would have taken Giannis and Gobert at 14 and 21.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Post#929 » by Neeva » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:08 am

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
coolcono wrote:I really don't want Ball on this team. No Topin either. I remember Derrick Williams.
Wiseman 1-A
Edwards 1-B
Vassell-2-A
Okoro-2-B
Deni-3-A
Hayes-3-B.

Would happily trade for a good wing.

Topin is Topin. Derrick Williams isn't. There is nothing whatsoever about Derrick Williams that would discourage me from taking Topin.

Read on Twitter

I would not draft Toppin in the top 8 but would if he falls to the Brooklyn pick. he will be great offensively. I think there is a chance he falls.
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#930 » by old school 34 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:33 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Show of hands, how many still think that any player the Wolves would select top5 would have to be inserted into the starting lineup? And if you do thnk that and want to, please add why.

Doesn't have to be inserted in the starting lineup, but hopefully will be good enough to give Saunders no choice, but to insert him in the starting lineup.
Of course that's the hope that will can identify the right guy that gives us that outcome....but this draft does scare me a bunch @ top....feel much more comfortable with late lotto types I like more (Vassell, S. Bey, & KLJ) than guys @ the top...guys @ the top all have such a high bust factor with them and all have low nba ready scores imo. So many of those guys on the top you'll just be deciding if they're going to make it in the league let alone whether they're starters about the same time you'll need to be making KAT & DLo next contract decisions? Just really keeps me thinking top pick gets moved for a farther along potential starter that's a better fit to their core....perfect fit may not be available on trade market but think the percentages say more likely we strike gold in trade market vs. drafting someone at the top of this draft?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#931 » by minimus » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:50 am

Read on Twitter
minimus
RealGM

Post#932 » by minimus » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:54 am

Norseman79 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

From what I see he is more Matisse Thybulle type of player, than Danny Green or RoCo. He lacks the strength of Green and the length of RoCo. And we need RoCo/Green type of player more than Thybulle type, because we already have Culver and Okogie.
minimus
RealGM

Post#933 » by minimus » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:24 pm

Read on Twitter

If Hayes can be at least an average defender, he will be a star.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#934 » by Norseman79 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:04 pm

minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Yeah I don't think anyone would be drafting Vassell for on-ball creation ability. He can be a high-end role player a la Danny Green, but not sure much more should be projected.

From what I see he is more Matisse Thybulle type of player, than Danny Green or RoCo. He lacks the strength of Green and the length of RoCo. And we need RoCo/Green type of player more than Thybulle type, because we already have Culver and Okogie.

Hard to make those comparisons without accurate measurements. Green was a senior when drafted and was listed as 6'6.5 and 207. Vassel is currently listed at 6'7 200 as a sophomore. Now that doesn't guarantee strength, but it does show similarly built players which could indicate similar strength.

On to Roco who was listed at 6'9 with approx 7'2 wingspan. With no official measurements Vassel's wingspan I have seen listed at 6'10 to up to over 7' at 6'7. Proportional to Roco.

Comparisons I have seen include Kelly Oubre and Kenny Bazsmore.

If Vassel's motor, work ethic and attitude all check out I have no problem picking him in top ,5 if trade downs Don't surface.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#935 » by Norseman79 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:39 pm

I really have been all over the place with this draft. I am sure scouts are having a great time putting together reports.

As of now, we have three picks, here is who I like in draft order - Vassel, Achiuwa, Quickly...this doesn't include trades, free agents, or anything and assuming we resign Beasley and Juancho.

DLo, Jmac/Quickley
Beas, Okoge
Culver/Vassel
Hernangomez, Layman/Achiuwa
Towns, Reid

All three prospects are noted as high motor good defenders. Vassel and Quicky add length, defense and 3pt ability to perimeter. Achiuwa is a high level athletic pf, small ball 5. Good defender and beast on boards. Great third big to pair with Reid and Towns. If he develops 3 ball easy starter.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#936 » by Jedzz » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:20 pm

minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Yeah I don't think anyone would be drafting Vassell for on-ball creation ability. He can be a high-end role player a la Danny Green, but not sure much more should be projected.

I would trade Culver/Okogie for THybulle in heart beat. If we want to start winning now anyway. What he already offers is fairly impressive already.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#937 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:28 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
coolcono wrote:I really don't want Ball on this team. No Topin either. I remember Derrick Williams.
Wiseman 1-A
Edwards 1-B
Vassell-2-A
Okoro-2-B
Deni-3-A
Hayes-3-B.

Would happily trade for a good wing.

Topin is Topin. Derrick Williams isn't. There is nothing whatsoever about Derrick Williams that would discourage me from taking Topin.

Read on Twitter

I take you're saying Topin is a poor defender. Was that the intent of your post? Topin is still Topin and not Derrick Williams.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Post#938 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:35 pm

Neeva wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Topin is Topin. Derrick Williams isn't. There is nothing whatsoever about Derrick Williams that would discourage me from taking Topin.

Read on Twitter

I would not draft Toppin in the top 8 but would if he falls to the Brooklyn pick. he will be great offensively. I think there is a chance he falls.

You never know, but I doubt Toppin is available at 16.
minimus
RealGM

Post#939 » by minimus » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:24 am

KGdaBom wrote:I take you're saying Topin is a poor defender. Was that the intent of your post? Topin is still Topin and not Derrick Williams.

I see Derrick Williams as the most accurate comparison for Obi Toppin:

1) both had very efficient last year in college in terms of scoring
2) both are classic tweener
3) both can't defend in space
4) both are solid but not elite athletes

I wish Obi has the elite athletic tools that Amare had. Because I think that Amare/Blake Griffin type of finisher would push our team to another higher level. If we re-sign Beasley we will have elite spacing + two elite shooters/passers in KAT and DLo who should be main decision-makers. An elite dunker in pace-and-space system would be a constant threat of alleyops, easy dunks after PnR etc. Not to mention fast breaks.

minimus
RealGM

Post#940 » by minimus » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:39 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves