ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Would you prefer a regular season from Christmas to late June and playoffs late June to late August?

Yes, move season back
73%
No, leave as is
27%

Total votes: 41

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,481

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2361 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:27 am

King4Day wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

The main thing I remember about him was that teams felt he wasn't an NBA caliber player.
I guess we wanted someone with a little experience. This way we can just see what he has for 8 games and cut him if there's no sign of him being a guy who would help next season. If he's good, it's likely the vet min so not like we're paying him much.

Damn your fast man! You just beat me to the punch on this one! :lol:

Anyways, Thoughts on Cameron Payne?
Sunsdeuce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,190

Re: 2020 Offseason Speculation, free agency, summer trades (keep draft prospect talk in draft thread) 

Post#2362 » by Sunsdeuce » Wed Jul 1, 2020 12:41 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

The main thing I remember about him was that teams felt he wasn't an NBA caliber player.
I guess we wanted someone with a little experience. This way we can just see what he has for 8 games and cut him if there's no sign of him being a guy who would help next season. If he's good, it's likely the vet min so not like we're paying him much.

Been awhile since I posted but I had to come out for this joke. If you want any idea how dumb of a signing this is, read the replies to Shams tweet.

I’d sign everyone that has a suns real GM account before I’d sign Payne.

James Jones strikes again.

Anyway, I just want this nightmare of a season to be done with. The only reason they are playing these 10 games is (obviously) for the money because it ain’t for the fans that for sure. Should just canceled the season, focus on the draft and prep for next year.
“Cash Considerations” or Bust!

Only a fan of Arizona teams!
CARDINALS
Dbacks
Suns
Coyotes
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2363 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:21 am

Sunsdeuce wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
King4Day wrote:

Been awhile since I posted but I had to come out for this joke. If you want any idea how dumb of a signing this is, read the replies to Shams tweet.

I’d sign everyone that has a suns real GM account before I’d sign Payne.

James Jones strikes again.

Anyway, I just want this nightmare of a season to be done with. The only reason they are playing these 10 games is (obviously) for the money because it ain’t for the fans that for sure. Should just canceled the season, focus on the draft and prep for next year.

Sorry, I'm not really all that familiar with Payne as of yet man. I take it he's a pretty poor player then? Just curious, What makes him so terrible? :dontknow:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2364 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:25 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
King4Day wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Would him signing a two year deal have any impact or influence on the suns considering a point guard in the draft? Or any affect on Jalen Lecque either? :dontknow:
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,422

Post#2365 » by Revived » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:48 am

Payne absolutely sucks. There’s not anyone in the world besides his immediate family and apparently James Jones that believes he should be in the NBA.

This could be a signing to help Ty Jerome gain confidence because I’m sure he’ll kick Payne’s ass in practice.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#2366 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:58 am

I don't know man. His G League numbers look pretty sexy - and very different from years' past. And really it's just the FG% and 3FG% I'm looking at because that's all that matters: can he make shots?

Oh but yeah um Rubio Carter Jerome Okobo Payne my homies, homies, listen. That's five dudes. That's 1/3 of your roster. That are point guards. That's two many point guards, Suns, too many.

And Ty you better learn to play the 2 because if you can't dissuade this FO from signing Cam Payne, my guess is no one thinks you're good enough to earn PT backing up Rubio next season.

EDIT: Oh and BTW that Shams tweet contains a typo. Cam averaged 23.2 PPG in the G League this season, not 13.2, fwiw. Get it together, Shams!
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,691

Post#2367 » by Qwigglez » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:52 am

Probably not bringing Jevon Carter back next season. From what I've read, someone in his circle has mentioned that certain players on the Suns only care about getting their stats and remaining the star of the team and doesn't care about winning (Booker).
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#2368 » by darmani » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:19 am

A week or two ago Kevin O'Connor and Chris Vernon talked about Payne on their podcast and one of them (Vernon IIRC) mentioned that some people around the league were impressed with Payne's play in the G-League and they thought that some team should take a look at him in Orlando.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#2369 » by PharmD » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:44 am

I saw Payne play in person preseason his rookie year. He absolutely dominated Tyus Jones and i remember thinking that Payne would be good and Tyus was a bust. Turns out Tyus has been a pretty good rotation level guard and Payne has been out of the league.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#2370 » by PharmD » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:47 am

Qwigglez wrote:Probably not bringing Jevon Carter back next season. From what I've read, someone in his circle has mentioned that certain players on the Suns only care about getting their stats and remaining the star of the team and doesn't care about winning (Booker).

I've been rewatching the season on league pass and Carter is the most enthusiastic bench cheerleader there is. I'd be very surprised if he's an attitude problem.
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,911

Post#2371 » by LV-Suns » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:57 am

PharmD wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Probably not bringing Jevon Carter back next season. From what I've read, someone in his circle has mentioned that certain players on the Suns only care about getting their stats and remaining the star of the team and doesn't care about winning (Booker).

I've been rewatching the season on league pass and Carter is the most enthusiastic bench cheerleader there is. I'd be very surprised if he's an attitude problem.

It’s his mom on Facebook.
I Dont wanna be here
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#2372 » by Blonde » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:18 am

2-year deal probably means the remainder of this season and fully unguaranteed next year aka not a move worth taking note of. Or at least I hope so...
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,816

Post#2373 » by Saberestar » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:26 am

LV-Suns wrote:
PharmD wrote:

Well, that would not be an strong reason to not bringing him back next season. I hope it's only an anecdote.

Hooefully Carter stays with the team because we don't have too many defensive minded players on the roster. And he is gonna be cheap and entering his prime... our mini-PJ Tucker.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#2374 » by Ghost of Kleine » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:14 pm

Saberestar wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:
PharmD wrote:I've been rewatching the season on league pass and Carter is the most enthusiastic bench cheerleader there is. I'd be very surprised if he's an attitude problem.

Well, that would not been an strong reason to not bringing him back next season. I hope it's only an anecdote.

Hooefully Carter stays with the team because we don't have too many defensive minded players on the roster. And he is gonna be cheap and entering his prime... our mini-PJ Tucker.

Definitely agree on Carter! We surely need his aggressive tenacity and energy as well on defense. He's one of the point guards that I really want us to keep for the reasons that you mentioned. I'd rather lose Okobo and/or Jerome before him honestly. And I'm actually a fan of Jerome honestly. :wink:
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#2375 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:34 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
LV-Suns wrote:It’s his mom on Facebook.

Well, that would not been an strong reason to not bringing him back next season. I hope it's only an anecdote.

Definitely agree on Carter! We surely need his aggressive tenacity and energy as well on defense. He's one of the point guards that I really want us to keep for the reasons that you mentioned. I'd rather lose Okobo and/or Jerome before him honestly. And I'm actually a fan of Jerome honestly. :wink:

My guess is Payne sticks next year and Jerome occupies the third string. Carter's gotta be gone, because he's a solid third stringer in this league who will get an offer elsewhere. Besides, you know you can't say nothing bad about Booker 'round here and survive.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,422

Post#2376 » by Revived » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:13 pm

Keeping Payne over Carter would be idiotic. Carter is way better than both Payne and Jerome because he’s at least good on one end of the court.

The other poster who said Payne isn’t all that much better than many realgm posters isn’t all that far off. We’re about to find this out the hard way.

And please don’t flaunt his G league stats lol, Archie Goodwin was highly touted in the GLeague and summer leagues and he’s now in Germany playing basketball in an arena that holds less people than many high school gyms do.

Sad part is that I was a believer in Goodwin but then reality hit :(
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#2377 » by Mjee » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:16 pm

My buddy, who's one of the biggest Bulls fans on the planet, says Payne is literally a waste of space ....

Is next year a team option??

I don't get it
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#2378 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:05 pm

Revived wrote:Keeping Payne over Carter would be idiotic. Carter is way better than both Payne and Jerome because he’s at least good on one end of the court.

The other poster who said Payne isn’t all that much better than many realgm posters isn’t all that far off. We’re about to find this out the hard way.

And please don’t flaunt his G league stats lol, Archie Goodwin was highly touted in the GLeague and summer leagues and he’s now in Germany playing basketball in an arena that holds less people than many high school gyms do.

Sad part is that I was a believer in Goodwin but then reality hit :(

So it sounds like this an emotional take for you. Understandable. Fanning is hard.

Sounds like you may have looked up Archie's SL and G-League stats, as I notice you say he was "highly touted." But you see, stats. Stats are numbers that represent the things that happen in games. Archie couldn't shoot, maybe Payne can. There is reason to think so: perhaps!
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#2379 » by SideSwipe » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:09 pm

I liked Payne early in his career, but he couldn't put it together on the court for some reason. He was so skinny too, maybe he's added some pounds now. I like that he is rangier and taller that will help put pressure on opposing guards. As mentioned above none of this matters if he can't shoot, but it looks like some of that has been fixed as well. Here's to hoping that JJ knows what he is doing.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#2380 » by Wilber85 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:27 pm

Ya'll crying about a player we will probably have on our team for 8 games! Man you guys need basketball to start!

Return to Phoenix Suns