How come no one ever mentions Chris Gatling?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Re: How come no one ever mentions Chris Gatling? 

Post#41 » by dautjazz » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:22 am

Had had 2 good years, that's why.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
dennythedino
Senior
And1: 612

Post#42 » by dennythedino » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:24 am

His most noteworthy moment was getting dunked on by Shawn Kemp and then giving him a high-five afterwards.

But yeah, he was a fringe All-Star at best who didn't play on good teams. And he even got traded a few days after being selected for his only All-Star appearance.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#43 » by PDX MM » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:14 am

I would rather have Raef Lafrentz (healthy knees of course) over Gatling both then and now. Doesn't Gatling own the record for being traded the most times in a career? Maybe that is someone else I don't remember,.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,552

Post#44 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:10 pm

JordansBulls wrote:He was Draymond Green before Draymond Green.

This is such a bizarre comparison, I'm not even sure what parallel you're trying to draw. Other than they both played PF for the Warriors.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,806

Post#45 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:27 pm

I would rather have Raef Lafrentz (healthy knees of course) over Gatling both then and now. Doesn't Gatling own the record for being traded the most times in a career? Maybe that is someone else I don't remember,.

There isn't a comparison between pre-injury Raef and Gatling. Healthy LaFrentz would be a best in today's NBA. That is a true floor stretching rim protector. A lot like Myles Turner, but less mobile and much better at setting screens and popping for a 3.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#46 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:52 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote: -

It's your time to shine :lol:
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#47 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:36 pm

JordansBulls wrote:He was Draymond Green before Draymond Green.
No he wasn't

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#48 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Jul 1, 2020 5:38 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:My friends and I held Warriors season tickets since back during Gatling's tenure here. We mostly bring him up in the context of his horrible, horrible pump fakes.

He was a decent enough player. He was NOT a rim protector. I'm not at all surprised that people don't discuss him here often; he just wasn't that interesting. If it makes you feel better, *I* brought him up in a thread recently, pointing out how stupid it was that when the Warriors decided to trade Tim Hardaway for Kevin Willis so BJ Armstrong could start at the point (bad idea), the salaries didn't work and we had to include Gatling in the deal to make it work, when Gatling was probably *also* better than Kevin Willis at that stage of their careers.

he was a turnstyle defensively, it's the downside of these stats people looking 30 years back and not knowing context
Every time the stats people try to go back and review history it's disaster.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#49 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:09 pm

Gatling is how I remember when I moved to California. I could have used Victor Alexander or Billy Owens but I am still irritated at them for coming in as good rookies but not improving their games at all. Gatling did not have his post moves as a rookie. He was just a long tall toothpick with quick feet for his height. But Gatling worked on his game and got pretty good post moves. They weren't super special post moves in his era but compared to this current generation of players his post moves were very good.

Now the paint is unclogged by three point shooters. That would help anybody with post moves.

Gatling had 2 blocks per 36 as a rookie power forward. Power forwards don't get blocks as easiliy as centers. On the other hand Gatling was flying arround, chasing blocks and picking up fouls. Stats show a steady decline for his blocks. I saw Gatling less when he left the Warriors. He did have injuries. He did lose springyness and quickness.

Galting has been in trouble with the law since retiring. The whole crew of young guys that led the Warriors to 50 wins when Webber waa a Rookie all had character problems. Don Nelson was disrespectful towards players because he didn't know any better but the young Webber, Owens, Sprewell, Gatling and Aelxander didn't think they needed a coach. They turned on Tim Hardaway because they won 50 games without him and thought he was wrong for backing up Don Nelson. Webber bitched that he did not want to be a center, so Nelson traded Owens for Ronny Seikaly which pissed off the young buddies because they lost a member of their crew.

Of the bunch of them Gatling and Sprewell seemed the least spoiled but then Sprewell choked his coach.

Gatling was a borderline All Star for a little while. Everybody changes during their career. I can't swear that Gatling did not become a bad defender but 3rd year Gatling (on the rookie Webber 50 win Warriors) was a above average defender
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,928

Post#50 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:28 pm

What's his inmate #? Where's his mugshot? Still in jail, or did he get time off for good headband?
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 291

Post#51 » by eitanr » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:58 pm

He was a classic all O, no D 4. Random All Star appearance as a 6th man with Mavs and always among league leaders in FG%.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/

Return to The General Board