One Player From Each Decade......

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Re: One Player From Each Decade...... 

Post#61 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:01 am

Profound23 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
-You must draft a COMPLETE starting five. A pure PG, SG, SF, PF, C (meaning no using something like two shooting guards and playing one at SF)

Sorry, but that's a stupid rule. Guys without clear positions include Bird, Duncan, Lebron, Durant and Harden.

Anyhow, the players one wants to pick are probably:

70s: Kareem (C)
80s: Bird (combo forward) or Magic (PG)
90s: Jordan (SG)
00s: Duncan (PF/C) or Garnett (PF who also played some SF, C and PG) or maybe LeBron (SF)
10s: LeBron (combo F who switched to PG late in the decade)

Easiest is to go with something like Kareem/Garnett/LeBron/Jordan/Magic. Bird will be missed for his shooting, but the team has a lot of other great passers and rebounders.

Another option is to switch Garnett for Durant, but that softens the team (not just because of the switch, but because we could assume a younger LeBron).

Spacing is problematic, but otherwise that team is seriously loaded.

The rule was because I knew without I would see stuff like this:

lakers2020 wrote:Kobe 00
Jordan 90
Bird 80
James 10
Kareem 70

PMONSTER wrote:LeBron 2010s
Jordan 1990s
Kobe 2000s
Bird 1980s
Kareem 1970s

Pretty sure 90% pick something like this without that rule. Two shooting guards, two small fowards.

Much of the time, Bird played the same position Kevin Love does today, at both ends of the floor. What do you call that? He certainly initiated the offense a lot more than Love does, but that didn't make him not-whatever-Love-is any more than Jokic's passing makes him not-a-center.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#62 » by JN61 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:09 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
JN61 wrote:Magic - 80
Jordan - 90
Durant - 10
Duncan -00
Kareem - 70

This I believe is the best fit out of any team you can build. There is no ball stoppers and extremely good passing without needing ball in their hand for 20s of shot clock.

Another one would be:
Curry -10
Jordan -90
Bird -80
Duncan -00
KAJ -70

see no case for Durant over the last 10 years over Lebron, but I like your B squad.
I could see Curry + Bird being equitable with Magic + Lebron because of the value of 3 pointers, but it would also be a tough guard for Curry every trip down the floor.

It's why I have Durant over LeBron. I don't need LeBron to dribble air out of the basketball when I have Magic for superior playmaking. This isnt the best player list of decade but the best team.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Finchination33
Junior
And1: 370

Post#63 » by Finchination33 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:11 am

PG: Steph Curry, 2010's
SG: Michael Jordan, 1990's
SF: LeBron James, 2000's
PF: Larry Bird, 1980's
C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, 1970's

This team to me seems to mesh very well.

Sent from my SM-G955F using RealGM mobile app
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,331

Post#64 » by TheNG » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:47 am

JN61 wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
JN61 wrote:Magic - 80
Jordan - 90
Durant - 10
Duncan -00
Kareem - 70

This I believe is the best fit out of any team you can build. There is no ball stoppers and extremely good passing without needing ball in their hand for 20s of shot clock.

Another one would be:
Curry -10
Jordan -90
Bird -80
Duncan -00
KAJ -70

see no case for Durant over the last 10 years over Lebron, but I like your B squad.
I could see Curry + Bird being equitable with Magic + Lebron because of the value of 3 pointers, but it would also be a tough guard for Curry every trip down the floor.

It's why I have Durant over LeBron. I don't need LeBron to dribble air out of the basketball when I have Magic for superior playmaking. This isnt the best player list of decade but the best team.

I came with the exact same lineups myself. I don't think any right-minded person can come up with something else according to the rules.
We have the 3 all time greats in Kareem, Jordan and Russell, but the 60s are out, so we must take Kareem for the 70s and Jordan for the 90s. So 2 and 5 position are out.
Then we can only have Duncan from the 00s (Kobe is not relevant because he's the same position as MJ)
Then we can have either Bird Or Magic from the 80s (no other choice), which leaves us to pick either PG/SF from the 2010s - so it's either Curry or Durant Or Kawhi.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
TheNG
Rookie

Post#65 » by TheNG » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:02 am

1. Petrovic (80s)
2. Belov (70s)
3. Doncic (2010s)
4. Dirk (2000s)
5. Sabonis (90s)
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,213

Post#66 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 11:43 am

Profound23 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
-You must draft a COMPLETE starting five. A pure PG, SG, SF, PF, C (meaning no using something like two shooting guards and playing one at SF)

Sorry, but that's a stupid rule. Guys without clear positions include Bird, Duncan, Lebron, Durant and Harden.

Anyhow, the players one wants to pick are probably:

70s: Kareem (C)
80s: Bird (combo forward) or Magic (PG)
90s: Jordan (SG)
00s: Duncan (PF/C) or Garnett (PF who also played some SF, C and PG) or maybe LeBron (SF)
10s: LeBron (combo F who switched to PG late in the decade)

Easiest is to go with something like Kareem/Garnett/LeBron/Jordan/Magic. Bird will be missed for his shooting, but the team has a lot of other great passers and rebounders.

Another option is to switch Garnett for Durant, but that softens the team (not just because of the switch, but because we could assume a younger LeBron).

Spacing is problematic, but otherwise that team is seriously loaded.

The rule was because I knew without I would see stuff like this:

lakers2020 wrote:Kobe 00
Jordan 90
Bird 80
James 10
Kareem 70

PMONSTER wrote:LeBron 2010s
Jordan 1990s
Kobe 2000s
Bird 1980s
Kareem 1970s

Pretty sure 90% pick something like this without that rule. Two shooting guards, two small fowards.

Lebron is a point guard, certainly is if you count magic as one. If you had to pick the position that is most accurate based on 5 spot, Bird is a power forward. There's no difference in shooting guards and small forwards so splitting hairs over MJ and Kobe is a bit silly.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#67 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:04 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Lebron is a point guard, certainly is if you count magic as one. If you had to pick the position that is most accurate based on 5 spot, Bird is a power forward. There's no difference in shooting guards and small forwards so splitting hairs over MJ and Kobe is a bit silly.

Kobe and Pierce covered each other a lot in the Finals.

Celtics fans are still angry about SG Wade injuring PG Rondo.

I'd add my dismay about SF Artest/MWP injuring SG Ray Allen.

Guys defended and thus played "out of position" well before modern switching schemes were the norm. Or consider offense -- if Pippen brought the ball up the court, did that make him the PG? If somebody like Hodges or Harper or Kerr was also there, did that make him the SG? In that case, was Jordan playing SF?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,171

Post#68 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:06 pm

TheNG wrote:1. Petrovic (80s)
2. Belov (70s)
3. Doncic (2010s)
4. Dirk (2000s)
5. Sabonis (90s)

6 season minimum in the NBA for eligibility.

Though I do appreciate what you tried to do here.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,213

Post#69 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:35 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

Kobe and Pierce covered each other a lot in the Finals.

Celtics fans are still angry about SG Wade injuring PG Rondo.

I'd add my dismay about SF Artest/MWP injuring SG Ray Allen.

Guys defended and thus played "out of position" well before modern switching schemes were the norm. Or consider offense -- if Pippen brought the ball up the court, did that make him the PG? If somebody like Hodges or Harper or Kerr was also there, did that make him the SG? In that case, was Jordan playing SF?

You're correct, the game is has and always will be possitionaless. If we have to pick the spot most similar for certain players, well see what I said above and my point is in no real setting were 2's and 3's ever different. Hell they were being called "wings" for that very reason decades before the average fan realized possitions weren't real.
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,577

Post#70 » by Kingdibs19 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 4:44 pm

pipfan wrote:Honestly, this seems pretty clear
Best player of 70's KAJ
Best player of 80's Magic (of course, could be Bird)
Best player of 90's-MJ
Best player of 00's TD
Best player of 10's-LBJ

And they all fit seamlessly

/thread
TheNG
Rookie

Post#71 » by TheNG » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:24 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
2. Belov (70s)
3. Doncic (2010s)
4. Dirk (2000s)
5. Sabonis (90s)

The OP wrote "The player had to have played at least six seasons in that decade". He didn't say where...
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,381

Post#72 » by Myth » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:30 pm

80s Magic
90s Jordan
10s LeBron
00s Duncan
70s Kareem
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,171

Post#73 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:39 pm

TheNG wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
2. Belov (70s)
3. Doncic (2010s)
4. Dirk (2000s)
5. Sabonis (90s)

The OP wrote "The player had to have played at least six seasons in that decade". He didn't say where...

By that logic, people are gonna pick Bron Jr.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,396

Post#74 » by Profound23 » Wed Jul 1, 2020 6:43 pm

TheNG wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
2. Belov (70s)
3. Doncic (2010s)
4. Dirk (2000s)
5. Sabonis (90s)

I am totally fine with this. These players played professional ball during those eras, just not in the US for the time-frame.

Much better than people picking two SFs and two SGs while trying to rationalize it.

Return to The General Board