Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#1521 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:33 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:I see you Patrick Williams.

I'm not exactly sure what everyone sees in Patrick Williams? Am I missing something? To me, he will be a role player who brings the energy, hustle, and defense. Someone we can grab in the mid-to-late 1st Round. I don't think he's worth trading down for.

Ball handler, passer, 3pt shot, mid-range game, 84% free throw shooter, finisher, shot blocker, perimeter defense, help defender, gets in passing lanes, NBA body at 19. He moves with strength, decisiveness and instincts. He dominates the action whenever he's on the court. He's the most obvious superstar at this age since KD. Kawhi Leonard is a poor man's Patrick Williams.

Why isn't he the consensus #1? You have to look at his college team. The coach played 11 guys 9+ mpg and each of those 11 guys played in at least 27 of the team's 31 games. Of those 11 guys only two were freshman, Patrick Williams and Balsa Koprivica who played only 10 mpg. That means 9 guys were ahead of Williams in the pecking order to start the season yet he still managed 22 mpg, 4th most on the team, and didn't start a single game. The coach had way too many players that deserved minutes, someone had to get less than he deserved and it was the freshman Williams.

If he had gone to Arizona, Louisville or Virginia, all of which recruited him, he would have averaged 30+ mpg and gotten way more buzz. He chose Florida State because, according to him, that was the only school that preached defense to him first and foremost and that's the sort of program he was looking for. Sold.

I don’t see the passing or ball handling skills from him at all from most of the video highlights. He shot 32% from 3pt (potential, though) and possesses basic pull-up dribble mid-range shots. He reminds me of Jordan Bell with potential shooting range and another Patrick, Patrick Patterson.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#1522 » by ShayDee » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:42 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what everyone sees in Patrick Williams? Am I missing something? To me, he will be a role player who brings the energy, hustle, and defense. Someone we can grab in the mid-to-late 1st Round. I don't think he's worth trading down for.

I prefer him over Okoro that's for sure.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Post#1523 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:58 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

Ball handler, passer, 3pt shot, mid-range game, 84% free throw shooter, finisher, shot blocker, perimeter defense, help defender, gets in passing lanes, NBA body at 19. He moves with strength, decisiveness and instincts. He dominates the action whenever he's on the court. He's the most obvious superstar at this age since KD. Kawhi Leonard is a poor man's Patrick Williams.

Why isn't he the consensus #1? You have to look at his college team. The coach played 11 guys 9+ mpg and each of those 11 guys played in at least 27 of the team's 31 games. Of those 11 guys only two were freshman, Patrick Williams and Balsa Koprivica who played only 10 mpg. That means 9 guys were ahead of Williams in the pecking order to start the season yet he still managed 22 mpg, 4th most on the team, and didn't start a single game. The coach had way too many players that deserved minutes, someone had to get less than he deserved and it was the freshman Williams.

If he had gone to Arizona, Louisville or Virginia, all of which recruited him, he would have averaged 30+ mpg and gotten way more buzz. He chose Florida State because, according to him, that was the only school that preached defense to him first and foremost and that's the sort of program he was looking for. Sold.

I mean I like Williams as well, but this post is out of control lol
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Post#1524 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:15 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:
AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:

I mean I like Williams as well, but this post is out of control lol

We will have a top 5 pick; not entirely sure I’d trade down for him, though (Only if targeted players are off the boards will I consider him.). I’ll just have to see more of his skillset at the combine, interviews, and pickup games to get a feel for who he is and who he’ll ultimately become. He’s young, so it goes down to drive/determination to get better.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1525 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:42 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:We will have a top 5 pick; not entirely sure I’d trade down for him, though (Only if targeted players are off the boards will I consider him.). I’ll just have to see more of his skillset at the combine, interviews, and pickup games to get a feel for who he is and who he’ll ultimately become. He’s young, so it goes down to drive/determination to get better.

Every year we talk about how much we talk about draft picks, but in this case we've got WAY too much time.

I think we had it nailed months ago. If you can find a partner/partners to trade down with for another pick without leaving the top 10, then do that and take a couple of these guys.

There are about 12 players I'd be happy with from this class after a trade down, 2 of them would be great.

The issue, as always, is finding a partner.

Williams #1 overall? That seems a pretty sizeable reach to me.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1526 » by ShayDee » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?

Read on Twitter
?

How many teams could line up for a Deni trade up scenario? Also I'd seriously consider him if we are 2-4 and Edwards and Wiseman are gone. The FO shouldn't be cute and take Onyeka/Haliburton
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#1527 » by Coxy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:34 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:Kawhi Leonard is a poor man's Patrick Williams.

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#1528 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:01 am

Coxy wrote:
thinkingwarriors wrote:Kawhi Leonard is a poor man's Patrick Williams.

I may be guilty of hyperbolic pronouncements.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1529 » by ShayDee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:44 am

Read on Twitter

Nets might end up in the lottery, giving them 2 FRPs (theirs and Phillys). We could trade down and grab both picks and take Taurean Prince/Spencer Dinwiddie/Caris Levert with the TPE and Draft 2 of Saddiq Bey/Desmond Bane/Patrick Willams/Aaron Nesmith/Precious Achiuwa (I'd go for Bey and Bane personally). Literally the dream scenario maybe?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#1530 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:02 pm

The last two mocks ive seen (Fox Sports and CBS) have Okongwu going #1

C’mon brah

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1531 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:10 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:The last two mocks ive seen (Fox Sports and CBS) have Okongwu going #1

C’mon brah

I've seen so many players mocked to #1 ... Wiseman, Ball, Edwards, Toppin, Okongwu, Avdija, Hampton, Hayes ... more than most years there is more mystery than ever.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#1532 » by wco81 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 6:19 pm

NBC Sports Bay Area Roundtable nominates whom the Warriors should draft.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/video/warriors-roundtable-who-should-dubs-take-if-they-get-no-1-pick

Mully says Wiseman, Monte Poole says Okonwu.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1533 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 5, 2020 5:28 pm

wco81 wrote:NBC Sports Bay Area Roundtable nominates whom the Warriors should draft.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/video/warriors-roundtable-who-should-dubs-take-if-they-get-no-1-pick

Mully says Wiseman, Monte Poole says Okonwu.

So much talk and we STILL have no new data :)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#1534 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jul 6, 2020 6:01 pm

Poole also says Haliburton, who I like and all, but if we took him #1 (which is what Papa asked) it would be an embarrassment.

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1535 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 6, 2020 8:28 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Poole also says Haliburton, who like and all, but if we took him #1 (which is what Papa asked) it would be an embarrassment.

If they think he's the best player for them and they can't trade down I could see it happening, but I'd want them to detail how hard they tried to trade down for him, and detail the issues they had with all the other players I have rated above him :)
wco81
RealGM

Post#1536 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 6, 2020 9:42 pm

Concern with Haliburton seems to be that he can't finish that well, doesn't try to go to the rim.

May need physical development, like getting stronger, to be able to compete.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#1537 » by ShayDee » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:55 am

Read on Twitter
?
wco81
RealGM

Post#1538 » by wco81 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:48 am

What kind of competition is Deni playing against?
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1539 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:42 am

wco81 wrote:What kind of competition is Deni playing against?

YMCA
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1540 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:34 pm

wco81 wrote:What kind of competition is Deni playing against?

much better defense than NCAA average, less athletic talent than ncaa. It's data but speculation for adjustment is still needed.

Return to Golden State Warriors