ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Democratic Primary Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who are you voting for?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:48 pm

Joe Biden - I have no idea why, and I also forgot what year it is
28%
Bernie Sanders - I am an intelligent human being, and understand Sanders is our last hope and America needs him
58%
Tulsi Gabbard (Dropped Out) - Ringo Starr is also my favorite Beatle
14%

Total votes: 65

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: OT: Democratic Primary Thread 

Post#1761 » by br7knicks » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:02 am

Fury wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Stannis wrote:I'm with you. I'm a Sanders guy, but I really wish he worked with Tulsi.

Sadly I will be voting for Biden. It's amazing how this country can break you down and make you feel like you have to vote for whatever pile of chit you think smells better.

But Trump got elected in 2016. And despite the recent cooked poll numbers, there's still a big chunk of the population that love him to death. I can endure another 4 years of Trump tbh. But I can't endure a decades of Trump Jr and Ivanka presidencies. The GOP is fighting tooth and nail to make that happen. They chose the Trump family to represent them. It's happening, and must be put to a stop this election.

I disagree about the third party this election though. That will only re-elect Trump. The GOP's base is very stubborn. They will ride or die on Trump. A third party this election will only split the democratic vote.

Anyways, with all the protests and the pandemic, Trump's foreign policy is really going under the radar. Aside from uniting the country, good foreign policy is the most important thing for a president, imo. It's why I think Obama was god awful.

Ah, you're right about that getting him re elected. While I didn't, and won't vote for him, Trump did start to turn the economy around. But I didn't realize how bad it was with the GOP that they would look forward to MANY years of the Trump family.

I would've loved it if Tulsi got the nomination, and even someone like Yang (who I disagree with on things like UBI), but feel he is smart and reasonable enough to work with both parties and pull them together,
- something we haven't seen in decades.

Hell, even Cuban would be a better candidate.

For me, it's not so much about where you stand on certain things, it's more about their ability to work with everyone and find middle ground. I feel Tulsi and Yang would've been able to pull that off.

The Democrats should not be looking to work with republicans or find “middle ground.” That’s done with. Over with. When McConnell and Newt Gingrich decided that the best policy is to block everything and make everything divisive politics, that’s when they decided working together would never work. Democrats are on the verge of taking over the Senate as well as the Presidency. Can’t stop now.

Nah, I think there's definitely still time, and it's important to do so. The Republicans are just as bad at not wanting to find middle ground, and need work to do as well.

It's too much about your side winning, instead of finding something that can actually work for mostly everyone
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,254

Post#1762 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:07 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:Russian bounty scandal keeps producing new leaks. Now there are indications the IC had already matched up wire transfers between Russia and the Taliban that correspond with the bounty amounts gotten from their field reports.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/us/politics/russian-bounties-afghanistan-intelligence.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

This is going to keep rolling. The knives are really coming out for Trump now with additional exposes on his phone calls with world leaders being considered a threat to national security by his own staff. He is both uninformed and out of control when dealing with leaders of other countries. Not surprising, just that the leaks are turning from a trickle into a stream.

Man I hope he doesn't drop out. I want to see that face of defeat again

I want to see the look on his face as the U.S. Marshals drag him and Melania out of the White House.

Melania refused to move down to the WH from Trump Tower until Trump renegotiated their pre-nup.

She's going to be the first one out of the door. She might head straight to her lawyer's office to initiate divorce proceedings.

He's going to go out like a chump, probably tweeting he wuz robbed the day before he gets on Air Force One one last time giving the thumbs up with his tiny hands like the sad sack of chit that he is. I doubt he'll have to be physically removed since he will have pulled all of his stunts in November and December and have already been shut down.

I hope he has to be removed kicking and screaming though. I like those optics.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1763 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:14 am

br7knicks wrote:
Fury wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Ah, you're right about that getting him re elected. While I didn't, and won't vote for him, Trump did start to turn the economy around. But I didn't realize how bad it was with the GOP that they would look forward to MANY years of the Trump family.

I would've loved it if Tulsi got the nomination, and even someone like Yang (who I disagree with on things like UBI), but feel he is smart and reasonable enough to work with both parties and pull them together,
- something we haven't seen in decades.

Hell, even Cuban would be a better candidate.

For me, it's not so much about where you stand on certain things, it's more about their ability to work with everyone and find middle ground. I feel Tulsi and Yang would've been able to pull that off.

The Democrats should not be looking to work with republicans or find “middle ground.” That’s done with. Over with. When McConnell and Newt Gingrich decided that the best policy is to block everything and make everything divisive politics, that’s when they decided working together would never work. Democrats are on the verge of taking over the Senate as well as the Presidency. Can’t stop now.

Nah, I think there's definitely still time, and it's important to do so. The Republicans are just as bad at not wanting to find middle ground, and need work to do as well.

It's too much about your side winning, instead of finding something that can actually work for mostly everyone

If I understand you correctly, you're saying the Dems are just as single-minded as the GOP about winning. I've never heard that before, except from people who say both parties are the same and that all politicians are equally bad/corrupt. None of which is true.

If anything the Democrats needed to become more cut throat, because the GOP has no scruples and they gained power without having a majority by devious means on a state by state basis, rigging the system to elect more of theirs. The GOP ate the Dems lunch because they will stop at nothing to win. Now that we likely have a much larger majority forming in this election it will be necessary to dismantle all of the voter supression and gerrymandering tactics they installed one state at a time.

The big play after this election would be the Dems shutting out large donors from financing campaigns or going all the way and making campaigns publicly financed.

The Democrats have been much better at seeking middle ground, but that is impossible to do when you have a McConnell led GOP Senate that doesn't like to compromise on anything.

The country veered too much to the right, so for many the middle ground doesn't feel like the middle any longer and I get that, but the underlying conditions and shifting demographics bode much better for moving the Dems leftwards. But, historically speaking, there is little comparison between parties the past two decades. The GOP is an obstructionist party that never seeks to compromise any longer.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,635

Post#1764 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:37 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Jeffrey wrote:
Man I hope he doesn't drop out. I want to see that face of defeat again

I want to see the look on his face as the U.S. Marshals drag him and Melania out of the White House.

Melania refused to move down to the WH from Trump Tower until Trump renegotiated their pre-nup.

She's going to be the first one out of the door. She might head straight to her lawyer's office to initiate divorce proceedings.

He's going to go out like a chump, probably tweeting he wuz robbed the day before he gets on Air Force One one last time giving the thumbs up with his tiny hands like the sad sack of chit that he is. I doubt he'll have to be physically removed since he will have pulled all of his stunts in November and December and have already been shut down.

Oh yeah. Melanie is going to sue the holy hell out of The Donald. He'll be bleeding money from every orifice. Funny how the smile on her face seems to get a brighter with each passing day.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1765 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:54 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Oh yeah. Melanie is going to sue the holy hell out of The Donald. He'll be bleeding money from every orifice. Funny how the smile on her face seems to get a brighter with each passing day.

She'll probably transform from a Stepford Hooker into a raver blowing bubbles at the Electric Sunshine festival

Spoiler:
Any references to Bubbles the Clown are unintentional
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#1766 » by br7knicks » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:39 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Fury wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you're saying the Dems are just as single-minded as the GOP about winning. I've never heard that before, except from people who say both parties are the same and that all politicians are equally bad/corrupt. None of which is true.

If anything the Democrats needed to become more cut throat, because the GOP has no scruples and they gained power without having a majority by devious means on a state by state basis, rigging the system to elect more of theirs. The GOP ate the Dems lunch because they will stop at nothing to win. Now that we likely have a much larger majority forming in this election it will be necessary to dismantle all of the voter supression and gerrymandering tactics they installed one state at a time.

The big play after this election would be the Dems shutting out large donors from financing campaigns or going all the way and making campaigns publicly financed.

The Democrats have been much better at seeking middle ground, but that is impossible to do when you have a McConnell led GOP Senate that doesn't like to compromise on anything.

The country veered too much to the right, so for many the middle ground doesn't feel like the middle any longer and I get that, but the underlying conditions and shifting demographics bode much better for moving the Dems leftwards. But, historically speaking, there is little comparison between parties the past two decades. The GOP is an obstructionist party that never seeks to compromise any longer.

Yes, both sides are definitely playing to get wins for their side versus trying to find middle ground or compromise with one another.

That's why I wanted Tulsi. I felt she was smart enough to not just look out for wins on her side, but rather teach Republicans to be reasonable and negotiable.

Easier to move forward and get **** done when you can work together rather than against each other
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#1767 » by Fury » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:46 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Yes, both sides are definitely playing to get wins for their side versus trying to find middle ground or compromise with one another.

That's why I wanted Tulsi. I felt she was smart enough to not just look out for wins on her side, but rather teach Republicans to be reasonable and negotiable.

Easier to move forward and get **** done when you can work together rather than against each other

Give me 5 reasonable things Republicans want
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,495

Post#1768 » by j4remi » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:27 pm

If anything, I think the biggest thing holding Dems back has been trying to work with Republicans and find compromises. As Fury stated, Newt introduced Obstruction as strategy and the Republicans have had too much success with that to make changes. The Dems should target non-voters rather than Republican voters imo. Rachel Bitcofer is a name yall may notice I drop a lot, she's really worth checking out.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,927

Post#1769 » by Stannis » Wed Jul 1, 2020 3:31 pm

So Kamala Harris is gonna be the VP?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,635

Post#1770 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:06 pm

Stannis wrote:So Kamala Harris is gonna be the VP?

Bite your tongue.
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1771 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:47 pm

br7knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

This is why your comment doesn't register for me. When your opponent never seeks the middle ground, there is no middle ground to be had. It is the GOP that has turned this into a winner takes all scenario. That you are pinning that equally on both parties strikes me as highly illogical.

And Tulsi has no interest in the middle ground. She set herself on fire within her own party. Expecting her to be the one who would broker any form of a working relationship between the DNC and the GOP is pretty ludicrous IMO.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1772 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:53 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Stannis wrote:So Kamala Harris is gonna be the VP?

Bite your tongue.

She does bite

Spoiler:
Biten/Sniffen 2020
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#1773 » by Pointgod » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:54 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
br7knicks wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

This is why your comment doesn't register for me. When your opponent never seeks the middle ground, there is no middle ground to be had. It is the GOP that has turned this into a winner takes all scenario. That you are pinning that equally on both parties strikes me as highly illogical.

And Tulsi has no interest in the middle ground. She set herself on fire within her own party. Expecting her to be the one who would broker any form of a working relationship between the DNC and the GOP is pretty ludicrous IMO.

Yup Republicans gave up being a party that actually wants to govern the moment their sensibilities were offended by a black man getting elected President. Other than the disastrous tax giveaway what actually significant legislation was passed during the two years they controlled all 3 houses of Congress?

And Tulsi? I never understood the Tulsi love. She’s been proven to be a disinterested self promoter that couldn’t even show conviction in one of the biggest votes in her career. Tulsi Gabbard is an absolute fraud that managed to burn whatever credibility she had.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1774 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:03 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

Yup Republicans gave up being a party that actually wants to govern the moment their sensibilities were offended by a black man getting elected President. Other than the disastrous tax giveaway what actually significant legislation was passed during the two years they controlled all 3 houses of Congress?

And Tulsi? I never understood the Tulsi love. She’s been proven to be a disinterested self promoter that couldn’t even show conviction in one of the biggest votes in her career. Tulsi Gabbard is an absolute fraud that managed to burn whatever credibility she had.

I've been astonished at any amount of love given to Tulsi. She is a very fishy character. I posted about it in the past and all I got back was crickets, so I can't bother to dismantle her again. AFAIK, she's a rogue player and has nothing to do with actual leftists in office like AOC. Tulsi is never playing with a full deck and she has very strange bedfellows that most of the actual leftists are not tainted with. I've created a pasta recipe in her honor, Assad Putinesca.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1775 » by Stannis » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:24 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:I've been astonished at any amount of love given to Tulsi.

How much love is that? 1% of the vote lol?
Free Palestine
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1776 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:27 pm

Stannis wrote:

True dat

yet 9 out of 65 on RealGM wuv her
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1777 » by Stannis » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:27 pm

As I said before, I will be voting against Trump this election, not so much for Biden.

GOP is really rallying behind Trump. And its getting to the point where it will be the Trump family as their leader. I really don't want to see a Trump Jr and/or Ivanka presidency. But if we get 4 more years of Trump, he'll build the nepotism, and it might happen.
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#1778 » by Stannis » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:28 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Stannis wrote:

True dat

yet 9 out of 65 on RealGM wuv her

Ima send this poll to the DNC, and maybe I can get Sanders some more delegates.
Free Palestine
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,675

Post#1779 » by Pointgod » Wed Jul 1, 2020 9:35 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I've been astonished at any amount of love given to Tulsi. She is a very fishy character. I posted about it in the past and all I got back was crickets, so I can't bother to dismantle her again. AFAIK, she's a rogue player and has nothing to do with actual leftists in office like AOC. Tulsi is never playing with a full deck and she has very strange bedfellows that most of the actual leftists are not tainted with. I've created a pasta recipe in her honor, Assad Putinesca.

Tulsi Gabbard is who exactly she shows in public. She’s an opportunist that will align to whatever keeps her name in the press. I would not be surprised if her alignment to the Progressive left was simply political expedience.

https://zora.medium.com/tulsi-gabbard-isnt-as-progressive-as-she-claims-to-be-9fe32d447b63
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#1780 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Jul 1, 2020 10:38 pm

Stannis wrote:As I said before, I will be voting against Trump this election, not so much for Biden.

GOP is really rallying behind Trump. And its getting to the point where it will be the Trump family as their leader. I really don't want to see a Trump Jr and/or Ivanka presidency. But if we get 4 more years of Trump, he'll build the nepotism, and it might happen.

Need to convict Don Jr. of charity fraud, Ivanka of money laundering and Jared of treason and saddle them with the criminal records they deserve that bars them from office

Though the current GOP in office could conceivably rally behind Trump's kids that will still become a progressively smaller segment of the voting public that is down with Trumpism. There are already members of the GOP leaving or planning to leave and that would just cement the rift forevermore. I think that may be a nice way to bury the GOP forever actually, though in my heart I want them all put in jail.

Return to New York Knicks