Ron Rivera: Washington Name Issue \'A Discussion For Another Time\'

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Ron Rivera: Washington Name Issue \'A Discussion For Another Time\' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:22 pm

Ron Rivera was asked during an interview on 670 The Score’s McNeil & Parkins Show about the controversial name of the NFL\'s Washington franchise.

Rivera was named the team\'s head coach earlier this offseason.

\"I think that\'s a discussion for another time,\" Rivera said, adding that the team\'s name was \"always part of football\" when he was growing up.

\"I think it\'s all about the moment and the timing,\" he added. \"But, you know, I\'m just somebody that\'s from a different era that when football wasn\'t such a big part of the political scene. You know, that\'s one of the tough things for me, too, is I\'ve always wanted to try to keep that separate. People have wanted me to get involved in politics, you know, when I was coaching and I kept telling them, \'It\'s not for me to get up here and influence people.\' I have my beliefs, I know what I think, you know, I support the movements, you know, support the players. I believe in what they\'re doing and, again, you know, I think that there are certain elements to certain things that it\'s all about the timing and the best time to discuss those things.\"

Via Mike Florio/Pro Football Talk

floppypoppy
Freshman
And1: 14

Re: Ron Rivera: Washington Name Issue \'A Discussion For Another Time\' 

Post#2 » by floppypoppy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm

the name is racist and offensive.
read the room ron.. now is absolutely the time.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,729

Post#3 » by dougthonus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm

floppypoppy wrote:the name is racist and offensive.

For Rivera though, once he took the job, I don't think he has much right to go there and now start questioning the ethics of the name. If this was something he cared about (or anyone on the Redskins cares about) then they probably shouldn't be working for the Redskins and certainly would look hypocritical as hell if they brought it up AFTER being hired before even being there for a season.

Can you imagine if Rivera came out and said "This name is racist and needs to be changed" and then the next question is "If you think its racist, then as a minority why would accept the job to work for a racist organization?".

This also highlights that movements to improve discrimination have a momentum to them that is fairly specific most of the time rather than general. Right now, people are very focused on BLM. I don't think that's helping anything with rampant discrimination against Muslims, helping to resolve the power/wage gap between men and women in business, or fixing discrimination against the various LBGTQ communities as an example.

I think that's okay, I'm glad that society is banding together to work on this issue right now, and it's a good and important one.

If out of this we also changed the names Indians, Redskins, Braves, or whatever other offensive names are out there, then I'd be fine with that too of course, but I wouldn't expect the current BLM movement to carry over myself.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Rip32
Rookie
And1: 181

Post#4 » by Rip32 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 pm

C'mon Chico! The time is now. Stop being a coward and speak up. The name is a slur! The Indigenous peoples fully support you.

The Washington Crackers

<a href="
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 31, 2018</a>

:nod: DETROIT VS EVERYBODY :nod:

I have no love for rogue moderators who abuse their authority
floppypoppy
Freshman

Post#5 » by floppypoppy » Fri Jul 3, 2020 12:16 pm

dougthonus wrote:
floppypoppy wrote:the name is racist and offensive.

For Rivera though, once he took the job, I don't think he has much right to go there and now start questioning the ethics of the name. If this was something he cared about (or anyone on the Redskins cares about) then they probably shouldn't be working for the Redskins and certainly would look hypocritical as hell if they brought it up AFTER being hired before even being there for a season.

Can you imagine if Rivera came out and said "This name is racist and needs to be changed" and then the next question is "If you think its racist, then as a minority why would accept the job to work for a racist organization?".

This also highlights that movements to improve discrimination have a momentum to them that is fairly specific most of the time rather than general. Right now, people are very focused on BLM. I don't think that's helping anything with rampant discrimination against Muslims, helping to resolve the power/wage gap between men and women in business, or fixing discrimination against the various LBGTQ communities as an example.

I think that's okay, I'm glad that society is banding together to work on this issue right now, and it's a good and important one.

If out of this we also changed the names Indians, Redskins, Braves, or whatever other offensive names are out there, then I'd be fine with that too of course, but I wouldn't expect the current BLM movement to carry over myself.

you're funny guy!
such a moronic point, from a clearly intelligent fellow.
Hats off to you sir.. that's not easy
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#6 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:34 pm

floppypoppy wrote:you're funny guy!

Discussion too challenging for you? Only capable of insults?
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#7 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:11 pm

Rip32 wrote:C'mon Chico! The time is now. Stop being a coward and speak up. The name is a slur! The Indigenous peoples fully support you.

The Washington Crackers

<a href="
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 31, 2018</a>

Haha, I love that shirt, would be great if Washington fans had banded together to wear it to some degree, but maybe Washington fans all love the name the Redskins and are also against the change. I'd imagine there are a good group though that wouldn't mind a name change and would support one.
@doug_thonus on twitter
floppypoppy
Freshman

Post#8 » by floppypoppy » Fri Jul 3, 2020 4:14 pm

dougthonus wrote:
floppypoppy wrote:you're funny guy!

Discussion too challenging for you? Only capable of insults?

yes and here's why..
1. the name is racist. there's nothing to discuss. you making a counter argument suggests there's a high probability you're racist too.
2. clearly im dumb
3. see above
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#9 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:32 pm

floppypoppy wrote:1. the name is racist. there's nothing to discuss.

Agreed, but that wasn't the topic. The topic was whether Rivera was obligated to take a stand about the name.

you making a counter argument suggests there's a high probability you're racist too.

I didn't make a counter argument about the name. I said it would be good if they got rid of it.

I discussed why you shouldn't count on Rivera to be the guy to stand up about it and why the BLM movement probably won't advance this issue. Those are my guesses/observations as to why Rivera made the comments he did and why I don't think the BLM movement will advance this issue. That said, it'd be great if I'm proved wrong and the name is changed due to this momentum.
@doug_thonus on twitter
floppypoppy
Freshman

Post#10 » by floppypoppy » Fri Jul 3, 2020 7:11 pm

dougthonus wrote:
floppypoppy wrote:1. the name is racist. there's nothing to discuss.

Agreed, but that wasn't the topic. The topic was whether Rivera was obligated to take a stand about the name.

you making a counter argument suggests there's a high probability you're racist too.

I didn't make a counter argument about the name. I said it would be good if they got rid of it.

I discussed why you shouldn't count on Rivera to be the guy to stand up about it and why the BLM movement probably won't advance this issue. Those are my guesses/observations as to why Rivera made the comments he did and why I don't think the BLM movement will advance this issue. That said, it'd be great if I'm proved wrong and the name is changed due to this momentum.

i'll say it again.
the name is racist. thats the topic.. you can twist it into anything else, but you wrong for that.
we done here.
:)
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:54 pm

floppypoppy wrote:i'll say it again.
the name is racist. thats the topic..

Never disagreed with this.

you can twist it into anything else, but you wrong for that.

Literally wasn't the conversation at hand though. Racism exists, discussing a nuance of a conversation around it isn't right or wrong. It is a discussion.

As an interesting side follow up, it looks like I was wrong. The Redskins do look like they're going to change the name as might the Indians. Interestingly the Braves seem like they will hold fast. It will be interesting to see if this impacts a team like the Rangers whom are named after an organization which was known for racism, but doesn't seem to be getting as much heat at the moment.
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Headlines Discussion