2019-20 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Re: 2019-20 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#2321 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jul 2, 2020 2:58 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:Don't see much of a problem with the Bubble. Virus is everywhere in US and it's not like these guys are sitting in a quarantine in their houses, so the Bubble would be a much safer place, if your main concern is health.

Reality is - it would be much harder to pull next season off than this bubble thing

Okay so two things in your post, one I'm totally with you on, the other drives me nuts.

With you - This is way easier than scheduling a regular season, as such I've always though it was actually a smart thing to do for the NBA. People who think skipping the playoffs is a good idea tend to just assume that things will be back to normal in '20-21, and clearly we won't. It made sense to find the safest way to do these playoffs, and then do them.

What drives me nuts - The assertion that every single NBA player is a young idiots licking toilet bowls. There are NBA players actually trying to be careful, and the very idea that we should ignore them and their safety because some of their peers are immature man-children is intensely disrespectful. If you're the NBA you don't get to use this line of arguments. Period.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,784

Post#2322 » by Mos_Heat » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:09 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Mos_Heat wrote:Don't see much of a problem with the Bubble. Virus is everywhere in US and it's not like these guys are sitting in a quarantine in their houses, so the Bubble would be a much safer place, if your main concern is health.

Reality is - it would be much harder to pull next season off than this bubble thing

Okay so two things in your post, one I'm totally with you on, the other drives me nuts.

With you - This is way easier than scheduling a regular season, as such I've always though it was actually a smart thing to do for the NBA. People who think skipping the playoffs is a good idea tend to just assume that things will be back to normal in '20-21, and clearly we won't. It made sense to find the safest way to do these playoffs, and then do them.

What drives me nuts - The assertion that every single NBA player is a young idiots licking toilet bowls. There are NBA players actually trying to be careful, and the very idea that we should ignore them and their safety because some of their peers are immature man-children is intensely disrespectful. If you're the NBA you don't get to use this line of arguments. Period.

You don't have to be young or an idiot to catch respiratory disease, that's not my point. 16 players already had it while being at their home markets and I'm sure many of these guys were careful. All I'm saying, if there's no nation lockdown in US, from a health standpoint there is not much of a difference from playing in the Orlando bubble, or simply live your life in any other state. The bubble actually would be a safier place, imho
:reporter:
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,355

Post#2323 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:36 pm

Mos_Heat wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

You don't have to be young or an idiot to catch respiratory disease, that's not my point. 16 players already had it while being at their home markets and I'm sure many of these guys were careful. All I'm saying, if there's no nation lockdown in US, from a health standpoint there is not much of a difference from playing in the Orlando bubble, or simply live your life in any other state. The bubble actually would be a safier place, imho

I'm sorry. It's trivial to make your life safer right now if you simply have the resources. I'm middle class and I can live a far safer life than what can reasonably be expected in an American-style bubble (different if you're going to presume draconian Chinese lockdown measures which can't possibly happen here). Right guys could make themselves safer still.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#2324 » by eminence » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:36 am

Why in the hell are they even talking about having the bottom 8 teams play in a 2nd bubble?
I bought a boat.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,509

Post#2325 » by GSP » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:03 am

Florida 10k cases in a day......just WTF were the NBA thinking? This is not going to work at all

There's already been 25 cases in just over the past week from players tested
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,098

Post#2326 » by Statlanta » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:35 pm

Read on Twitter

With Oladipo gone now we can think about star players not playing and thus compromising the integrity of the season.

Being isolated in a bubble to only be focused on doing your job seems like a non-starter for some players
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
mcraft
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#2327 » by mcraft » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:42 pm

If Giannis or Kawhi or LeBron contract COVID-19 and have to miss time for that reason it’s really going to throw a wrench into things.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#2328 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jul 3, 2020 10:33 pm

Statlanta wrote:
Read on Twitter

With Oladipo gone now we can think about star players not playing and thus compromising the integrity of the season.

Being isolated in a bubble to only be focused on doing your job seems like a non-starter for some players

That's pretty presumptuous and unfounded.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#2329 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jul 3, 2020 10:52 pm

Especially since Dipo is still going to the bubble....
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#2330 » by ardee » Sat Jul 4, 2020 7:47 am

I don't think this happens unless they seal the workers in there too. As the Florida cases rise there is no way some players don't express concerns.

I don't care if they have guidelines to ensure no player-worker contact... those guidelines won't hold up for 3 months and then boom you only need one interaction to derail everything.

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
CKRT
Analyst
And1: 404

Post#2331 » by CKRT » Mon Jul 6, 2020 12:20 am

Still feel very strongly that there is a high chance the playoffs are cancelled. Just don't see how this isn't a catastrophe.
lilojmayo wrote:Juice is not a chucker, like say James Harden
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#2332 » by bondom34 » Mon Jul 6, 2020 4:18 am

Read on Twitter

This makes it 4 I think now.

Spoiler:
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
ardee
RealGM

Post#2333 » by ardee » Mon Jul 6, 2020 8:11 pm

Just have the employees live in the bubble... this is a no brainer ffs. I can't believe how Silver could have missed this.

Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,726

Post#2334 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:28 am

ardee wrote:Just have the employees live in the bubble... this is a no brainer ffs. I can't believe how Silver could have missed this.

Does Silver even have the authority to make that happen?
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#2335 » by MisterHibachi » Tue Jul 7, 2020 2:36 am

These early positives would be part of the plan. This is exactly when they're supposed to be testing positive, so they can quarantine and enter the bubble without the virus. Windhorst made a good point on a podcast today, the Raptors have been quarantining in Florida for a week and have had zero positive tests, serves as a test model for the NBA bubble.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
CKRT
Analyst
And1: 404

Post#2336 » by CKRT » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:41 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:These early positives would be part of the plan. This is exactly when they're supposed to be testing positive, so they can quarantine and enter the bubble without the virus. Windhorst made a good point on a podcast today, the Raptors have been quarantining in Florida for a week and have had zero positive tests, serves as a test model for the NBA bubble.

I don't think the early positives are the concern. Like you said, these are pretty much expected. Once the season/playoffs start is where things are going to unravel since employees and players aren't required to stay in the bubble.
lilojmayo wrote:Juice is not a chucker, like say James Harden
ardee
RealGM

Post#2337 » by ardee » Tue Jul 7, 2020 7:48 pm

CKRT wrote:
MisterHibachi wrote:These early positives would be part of the plan. This is exactly when they're supposed to be testing positive, so they can quarantine and enter the bubble without the virus. Windhorst made a good point on a podcast today, the Raptors have been quarantining in Florida for a week and have had zero positive tests, serves as a test model for the NBA bubble.

I don't think the early positives are the concern. Like you said, these are pretty much expected. Once the season/playoffs start is where things are going to unravel since employees and players aren't required to stay in the bubble.

Players are required to. They can leave but have a 10 day quarantine when they return and have to get two negative tests.

Employees leaving is an utter disaster though and makes absolutely no sense. The odds of the entire season going off with no interaction between employees and players that could facilitate transmission is beyond wishful thinking.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#2338 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:03 am

EDIT - he posted luck adjusted as well after that:

Read on Twitter
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617