ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#1841 » by Syd-TK3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:16 pm

Psubs wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:I know this is completely off topic from the draft but I don't want to start a new thread and I like the group of people here and want to hear opinions.

Did anybody here watch Raptors 905 games this season? Admittedly, I didn't watch a single game this year and was wondering which prospects people like.

Bigs: Dewan Hernandez
Sagabe Konate
Henry Ellenson

Wings: Paul Watson
Oshae Brisset

Guards: Shamorie Ponds
Tyler Ennis

Mods: If this is breaking any rules, please let me know. I will remove the post immediately. Thank you.

I guess it would count as prospect watch.

I just don't get Oshae. To me he's like the forward version of McCaw; must be a practice star.

I like Watson, thus don't care as much to draft a swingman. Konate came back from injury and needs to prove himself still. I think Ellenson (23 years old) deserves a shot. He seems to be a late bloomer and needed more experience. I could see Ellenson be like Frank Kaminsky. Dewan needs more seasoning with the 905.

Oshae's numbers really aren't the greatest and he's pretty inconsistent but he's shown a bit of offense that seems encouraging. And when we were going through those key injuries during the season he was the only guy to actually get playing time I think nurse liked the hustle and defense he showed. It ultimately comes down to his shooting though.

Dewan getting injured for basically the whole season really sucked, it would have been a great chance to see what he's capable of while ibaka/Gasol missed games.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#1842 » by Dalek » Thu Jul 2, 2020 8:42 pm

I really like having PF/C in the 28 range, but there are a number guards who could drop that would have to be drafted. One of my favs is Tyrell Terry. To get a scorer like this off the bench would be huge, and he is actually a very smart defender despite is weak body. I think this guy has a chance to be a star, or at least a Seth Curry level of scorer.

Read on Twitter
Dalek
RealGM

Post#1843 » by Dalek » Thu Jul 2, 2020 10:56 pm

I may not be a huge Cassius Stanley backer, but man that kid can levitate.

Read on Twitter
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#1844 » by Psubs » Thu Jul 2, 2020 11:02 pm

Dalek wrote:I may not be a huge Cassius Stanley backer, but man that kid can levitate.

Read on Twitter

He could be Derozan with 3pt shooting. :D
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#1845 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:08 pm

I'm so curious to see where LaMelo goes in this draft. Where do you guys see him?

There's just so much I don't like about the guy. I don't like the way he plays, I've always questioned his shot selection, especially from behind the arc. Last year in the NBL he shot just 25.0% from long range taking 6.7 attempts per game. Just really bad numbers, it makes me question his decision making in general.

Lonzo, in comparison, shot 41.2% on on 5.4 attempts from behind the arc at UCLA (albeit from a closer distance), and 34.3% on his career from three in the NBA. Is LaMelo really a better shooter than his brother?

Does he really project to be any better than Lonzo in general? I just don't see it.

If you re-draft 2017 I think Lonzo would get taken as low as 9th. Why are people so high on Melo?
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,168

Post#1846 » by mademan » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:12 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:I'm so curious to see where LaMelo goes in this draft. Where do you guys see him?

There's just so much I don't like about the guy. I don't like the way he plays, I've always questioned his shot selection, especially from behind the arc. Last year in the NBL he shot just 25.0% from long range taking 6.7 attempts per game. Just really bad numbers, it makes me question his decision making in general.

Lonzo, in comparison, shot 41.2% on on 5.4 attempts from behind the arc at UCLA (albeit from a closer distance), and 34.3% on his career from three in the NBA. Is LaMelo really a better shooter than his brother?

Does he really project to be any better than Lonzo in general? I just don't see it.

If you re-draft 2017 I think Lonzo would get taken as low as 9th. Why are people so high on Melo?

He's decently bigger than Lonzo too (6'7 at 18 vs 6'5 and developed). The hope is that he's Ben Simmons with a decent jumpshot. Doesnt have to be a sniper, he just has to make people mildly respect his jumper.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#1847 » by Mark_83 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm locked in on Paul Reed at 28, but I don't know if he'll even make it there, despure sone mocks having him in the second.

Some team will surely see the same thing a lot of us do: an athletic, multiple-positional defender with untapped offensive upside.

If we can get him at 28 and buy and early second to get Tillman, our front court depth will be significantly bolstered.

Lowry - FVV - McCaw
Powell - TDII - Thomas
Ibaka / Gasol - Tillman
OG - Watson
Siakam - Reed - Boucher
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#1848 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Jul 3, 2020 5:30 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:I'm so curious to see where LaMelo goes in this draft. Where do you guys see him?

The main difference i see and what may gave Lamelo more upside is that Lamelos handle is already much better than Lonzos.

Lonzo couldn’t/can’t breakdown defenders and get to the rim, which is obviously really important for a point gaurd.

If Lamelo can get similarly as strong as Lonzo I think he can do much more as a playmaker.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#1849 » by Dalek » Fri Jul 3, 2020 6:15 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:

The main difference i see and what may gave Lamelo more upside is that Lamelos handle is already much better than Lonzos.

Lonzo couldn’t/can’t breakdown defenders and get to the rim, which is obviously really important for a point gaurd.

If Lamelo can get similarly as strong as Lonzo I think he can do much more as a playmaker.

I really like both Lamelo and Lonzo's feel for the game. Lamelo is a higher level prospect because he is more willing to make difficult passes and take shots at the end of the clock, and he also has a way stronger handle with more ability to shake defenders. I feel like Lonzo defers too much and plays pretty stiff, although given his strength and body he is a better defender currently.

Lamelo is only 18 so he has room to grow and a lot of people comment on his maturity. I am excited to see how coachable he is in the NBA. If he goes to a gong show like NY it could hurt his development but he will likely end up there. The Warriors make more sense so he can develop under Steph who he obviously models his game after. Of course, I hold out some hope that Toronto swoops in. He'd be a great guy to build around with Pascal.
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#1850 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 11:12 pm

If raptors hypothetically had the 1st pick who would you guys choose?
Or would you trade it?
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#1851 » by HeadtopChunes » Fri Jul 3, 2020 11:29 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:If raptors hypothetically had the 1st pick who would you guys choose?
Or would you trade it?

I’d probably try to trade it for a star, but if not top 5 would probably be

Anthony Edwards
Lamelo Ball
Tyrese Maxey
Theo Maledon
James Wiseman

Those are all guys id consider drafting first for this team.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#1852 » by Mark_83 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:33 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:If raptors hypothetically had the 1st pick who would you guys choose?
Or would you trade it?

Trade it in package for Beal or take Edwards, Hayes, or Haliburton.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,719

Post#1853 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:51 am

mademan wrote:

He's decently bigger than Lonzo too (6'7 at 18 vs 6'5 and developed). The hope is that he's Ben Simmons with a decent jumpshot. Doesnt have to be a sniper, he just has to make people mildly respect his jumper.

Nobody expects LaMelo to be Ben Simmons. The only thing they have in common is that they're both big guards. On the court they're polar opposites. LaMelo plays a perimeter based game, whereas Simmons plays on the interior. Simmons also plays great defense, whereas LaMelo barely plays any defense at all.

In my opinion, LaMelo will be lucky to get close to Simmons' level. Hell, he probably won't even be as good as Lonzo. I don't see what's so special about him. Like JShuttlesworth said, he has horrible shot selection. He has been hyped since he was a child and he shows a severe lack of maturity. Fame has definitely gone to his head.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#1854 » by Syd-TK3 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:54 am

Mark_83 wrote:
Or would you trade it?

Trade it in package for Beal or take Edwards, Hayes, or Haliburton.

Yeah more than likely we'd probably consider trading it.
Wouldn't even have to be for a star could trade back too if there's someone they really like.

Edwards is my #1 and I always choose BPA so I'd take him even if Lamelo or even Wiseman might fit better long term
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#1855 » by Psubs » Sat Jul 4, 2020 2:09 am

I would trade #1, Stanley Johnson and Patrick McCaw for Jonas Valanciunas and #22.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,833

Post#1856 » by JShuttlesworth » Sat Jul 4, 2020 7:12 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
mademan wrote:

Nobody expects LaMelo to be Ben Simmons. The only thing they have in common is that they're both big guards. On the court they're polar opposites. LaMelo plays a perimeter based game, whereas Simmons plays on the interior. Simmons also plays great defense, whereas LaMelo barely plays any defense at all.

In my opinion, LaMelo will be lucky to get close to Simmons' level. Hell, he probably won't even be as good as Lonzo. I don't see what's so special about him. Like JShuttlesworth said, he has horrible shot selection. He has been hyped since he was a child and he shows a severe lack of maturity. Fame has definitely gone to his head.

Agreed, I don't like when Simmons / Melo are compared because they're nothing alike. Simmons was also a much better prospect than LaMelo, if they were in the same draft I don't think anyone would think twice about drafting Simmons first.

Simmons is bigger, stronger, and a far superior athlete compared to LaMelo. While we're on the topic -- Simmons also rebounds better, is a better defender, better passer. The only thing that Ben can't do is shoot, but to his credit, he doesn't force shots he doesn't think he can make.

Lonzo just seems like a much smarter player to me, better defender than Melo. Melo might be better at creating his own shot, but like I said before, sometimes he's better off passing instead of jacking up low percentage, long range shots. In the NBA that's an adjustment he'll have to make.

I think there's probably about 8-9 players who I like before even thinking about Melo. Even where you compare him to some of the other PGs. Cole Anthony is probably a safer pick. Is Melo really a better prospect than Theo Maledon? Is he better than Killian Hayes?
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,168

Post#1857 » by mademan » Sun Jul 5, 2020 12:03 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
mademan wrote:

He's raw, but what is special is the combination of size, ball handling skills/dribble drive as well as feel for the game. If he's able to get to his brothers level of defense and if NBA level training can improve his jumpsho (he's already a lot more confident with it, too confident probably), he'd be a great player. He certainly has a lower floor than most top prospects, but i also think he has the highest ceiling in this draft.
happenstance
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#1858 » by happenstance » Sun Jul 5, 2020 7:25 am

Omer Yurtseven, i think he could fit the Marc Gasol mold, he just needs to increase his mobility on the perimeter
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#1859 » by Indeed » Sun Jul 5, 2020 8:17 am

happenstance wrote:Omer Yurtseven, i think he could fit the Marc Gasol mold, he just needs to increase his mobility on the perimeter

Gasol has a 7'4 wingspan to allow him defend better. If he grew a bit longer, I can see that comparison, otherwise, Noah being a better comparison. The best comparison would be standing reach and vertical, but I think we will need to wait for the draft combine for those data.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#1860 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Jul 5, 2020 1:16 pm

If we were to let Fred, Gasol and Ibaka walk, saving countless millions, we likely could land Aron Baynes, retain Chris Boucher, draft Isaiah Stewart. I would offer sheet Dillon Brooks away from the Grizzlies. I would also sign RHJ back.

I'd run with

Kyle Lowry ($30,500,000) - Norm ($10,865,952)
Paskal ($29,000,000) - Baynes ($7,000,000) - OG ($3,872,215)

Davis II ($1,517,981) - Dillon Brooks ($10,865,952)
Boucher ($3,872,215) - (Isaiah Stewart $1,200,000/Hernandez $1,517,981) - RHJ ($5,000,00)

McCaw, ($4,000,00) Matt Thomas ($1,517,981) , Stanimal ($3,804,150), Brisset ($898,310)

Just under the salary cap of 115 mil.

Return to Toronto Raptors