ImageImage

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,655

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#841 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:07 pm

UcanUwill wrote:By the way, Ghost of Tsushima comes out in 3 weeks, right now I am exited for that one.

Holy ****, I didn't realize that was coming out so soon. I'm also excited for it.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#842 » by jschligs » Wed Jul 1, 2020 2:47 am

Well, I think I"m going to build a new desktop. It's the only logical thing to do as I need to be prepared for Cyberpunk 2077 and beyond. Fortunately I have enough components to transfer over (SSD, HDD, case, peripherals) and what I won't be needing anymore I can sell.

Thinking about going with this set up: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/369rb8

Any input?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#843 » by crkone » Wed Jul 1, 2020 1:13 pm

jschligs wrote:Well, I think I"m going to build a new desktop. It's the only logical thing to do as I need to be prepared for Cyberpunk 2077 and beyond. Fortunately I have enough components to transfer over (SSD, HDD, case, peripherals) and what I won't be needing anymore I can sell.

Any input?

Since AMD reversed their decision and Zen3 chips will be supported on 400/500 you could get a B450 MAX for cheaper than that X570 but in the end it doesn't matter. You could also go cheaper on the processor for now and wait for the Zen3s to come out but who knows how long it will be before these current chips are the bottleneck. It might still be a far ways off. I'd also add a cooler on if you go with the 3700X as the stock Wraith cooler is pretty bad. It may be hard to find a Noctua, which I would recommend (Noctua NH-D15), since everyone wants one right now. I have a Scythe Ninja 5 which isn't as good but its better than that beQuiet everyone recommends.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#844 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Jul 1, 2020 7:59 pm

jschligs wrote:Well, I think I"m going to build a new desktop. It's the only logical thing to do as I need to be prepared for Cyberpunk 2077 and beyond. Fortunately I have enough components to transfer over (SSD, HDD, case, peripherals) and what I won't be needing anymore I can sell.

Any input?

Don't have any current input, but have been thinking about doing a rebuild again too. Depending on your specs, maybe you don't need to do a major upgrade and just get a beefy graphics card.

I keep talking myself out of pulling the trigger because I probably could just upgrade my graphics card from a 980 Ti and be set.

Specs for reference (built in late 2015):
Intel i7-5820K (3.3GHz)
CORSAIR Vengeance DDR4 32GB (2133)
EVGA x99 Micro2 Motherboard
EVGA 980 Ti Classified Edition
Samsung 950 Pro M.2 256GB
Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1TB
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#845 » by jschligs » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:51 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:

Any input?

Don't have any current input, but have been thinking about doing a rebuild again too. Keep talking myself out of it because I probably could just upgrade my graphics card from a 980 Ti and be set.

Intel i7-5820K (3.3GHz)
Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1TB

I thought about doing that, upgrading from my 1070Ti and calling it a day. But believe it or not my i5-7600k has bottlenecked me. Mainly to me wanting to do 1440p at 144hz, and mainly only on Ubisoft games. CPU runs at 100% and stutters at all graphic settings for the most part. Really I'm just making up an excuse to upgrade it all. I'm having a kid in November so I have to spend now or forever hold my peace.

My current build is:

Gigabyte Auros GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 1151 mobo
Intel i5-7600k Kaby Lake
EVGA 1070 SC Gaming 8GB
16GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3000
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w PSU (I melted two ports a while back. Don't ask. So unfortunately I have to upgrade this)

I could definitely get away with a small upgrade of the GPU.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#846 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Jul 1, 2020 8:55 pm

jschligs wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:

Any input?

Don't have any current input, but have been thinking about doing a rebuild again too. Keep talking myself out of it because I probably could just upgrade my graphics card from a 980 Ti and be set.

I thought about doing that, upgrading from my 1070Ti and calling it a day. But believe it or not my i5-7600k has bottlenecked me. Mainly to me wanting to do 1440p at 144hz, and mainly only on Ubisoft games. Really I'm just making up an excuse to upgrade it all. I'm having a kid in November so I have to spend now or forever hold my peace.

I guess that makes sense with 1440p. But if you're going to spend might as well go 4k. :D
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,967

Post#847 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:20 pm

I bounced off Shadow of War immediately, but it's $10 on the PSN so that might be my holiday weekend game.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#848 » by TroyD92 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 7:30 pm

Anyone have recommendations on any isometric games like DOS2? Can be older as well.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#849 » by engelmartin » Thu Jul 2, 2020 9:40 pm

I am not sure how many of you out there have spouses or love co-op games, but Enter The Gungeon is probably my all-time favorite couch co-op game. The gameplay Is more of less in the Robotron/Twin-Stick shooter mold, but it's got a charm and polish that I can't really quantify. It's $15 on Switch and I've been playing it with a girl who has zero aptitude for video games, (one player can really carry the other if there's a big disparity in ability).

It's a procedurally generated rogue-like, so every run only takes about an hour at maximum (most will probably be a lot shorter than that). I'm kind of obsessed but also I loved Nuclear Throne/Binding of Isaac, I think it's slightly more accessible than those two though.

The music rules and I don't know if there's ever been a game with more replay value. The writing is all clever and meta, tons of references to every nerdy pop culture thing you could think of. Give it a shot if you're into couch co-op.

Also, I feel like the trailers all kind of oversell it to a target demographic so not including a video.
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#850 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:57 am

TroyD92 wrote:Anyone have recommendations on any isometric games like DOS2? Can be older as well.

It depends upon how "like DOS2" you mean or need. BG2 is maybe my all-time favorite/GOAT game and I still think it holds up well because the story, characters, and world building are so incredible. Pillars of Eternity 2 is a really nice modern take, as well (POE1 I would not recommend, personally).
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#851 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Jul 3, 2020 2:58 am

jschligs wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:

Any input?

Intel i7-5820K (3.3GHz)
Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1TB

I thought about doing that, upgrading from my 1070Ti and calling it a day. But believe it or not my i5-7600k has bottlenecked me. Mainly to me wanting to do 1440p at 144hz, and mainly only on Ubisoft games. CPU runs at 100% and stutters at all graphic settings for the most part. Really I'm just making up an excuse to upgrade it all. I'm having a kid in November so I have to spend now or forever hold my peace.

My current build is:

Gigabyte Auros GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 1151 mobo
Intel i5-7600k Kaby Lake
EVGA 1070 SC Gaming 8GB
16GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3000
EVGA SuperNOVA 850w PSU (I melted two ports a while back. Don't ask. So unfortunately I have to upgrade this)

I could definitely get away with a small upgrade of the GPU.

Don't. Go all-out (if you can manage it). If you're making a significant upgrade like this, don't skimp on the GPU and need/want to replace again in 2 years.

ETA: As if I can give you advice on this topic :lol:
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,614

Post#852 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:52 pm

I know I am 9 years late to the party, but damn Witcher 2 was good. But those boss battles are hard, its insane.

I jumped on Witcher 3 bandwagon before playing first and second, and just after 2 times I finished W3, I figured I need all back story and picked up W1 and recently W2. First Witcher doesnt hold up at all, I would even call it terrible, so I feared Witcher 2 would be much of the same, but no, its fantastic. Both W2 and W3 are those games where I cant get enough of it, I want more and more and hate when it ends, where W1 I dragged myself trough. I was surprised how much of Branching path there is in second Witcher, probably even more than Witcher 3, and they did it in 2011, can only imagine what they have in store for us in Cyberpunk, holy crap this developer is amazing.

Time to restart Witcher 3 again, does anyone have any good mod recommendations?

ReasonablySober wrote:I bounced off Shadow of War immediately, but it's $10 on the PSN so that might be my holiday weekend game.

I love Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of war. I wish Monolith does something like that again, I would love them to make a Justice league game. I just dont get why they made Talion look different in second game, its like a recast in a tv show, but its a game, like why did his face changed so bad :lol:
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#853 » by UcanUwill » Fri Jul 3, 2020 1:57 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:Anyone have recommendations on any isometric games like DOS2? Can be older as well.

It depends upon how "like DOS2" you mean or need. BG2 is maybe my all-time favorite/GOAT game and I still think it holds up well because the story, characters, and world building are so incredible. Pillars of Eternity 2 is a really nice modern take, as well (POE1 I would not recommend, personally).

Why would you recommend Pillars 2 and not Pillars 1? What were the changes? I heard Pillars 1 has a ton of reading and they dump their lore like an avalanche, I feared that, I rarely get invested into reading when playing a video game and I get lost very easily.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#854 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 3, 2020 6:42 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I know I am 9 years late to the party, but damn Witcher 2 was good. But those boss battles are hard, its insane.

I jumped on Witcher 3 bandwagon before playing first and second, and just after 2 times I finished W3, I figured I need all back story and picked up W1 and recently W2. First Witcher doesnt hold up at all, I would even call it terrible, so I feared Witcher 2 would be much of the same, but no, its fantastic. Both W2 and W3 are those games where I cant get enough of it, I want more and more and hate when it ends, where W1 I dragged myself trough. I was surprised how much of Branching path there is in second Witcher, probably even more than Witcher 3, and they did it in 2011, can only imagine what they have in store for us in Cyberpunk, holy crap this developer is amazing.

Time to restart Witcher 3 again, does anyone have any good mod recommendations?

ReasonablySober wrote:I bounced off Shadow of War immediately, but it's $10 on the PSN so that might be my holiday weekend game.

I love Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of war. I wish Monolith does something like that again, I would love them to make a Justice league game. I just dont get why they made Talion look different in second game, its like a recast in a tv show, but its a game, like why did his face changed so bad :lol:

I'm enjoying it a lot. I've spent so many recent years playing AC games that I forgot how good the combat and movement feels in the WB (Arkham) games.

ETA: Jesus, the combat is absolutely relentless, in the first few hours at least. I've been playing Minas Ithil. I figured I'd unlock the towers, collect the, uh, collectables, and clear the map. But the map never seems to clear. I've killed a dozen captains so far and they just keep showing up, along with the hundreds of orks. It's one encounter after another.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#855 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:01 pm

Paging MikeIsGood. Releases on PC on August 7, $49.99. If you didn't buy anything yet during the Steam Summer Sale, your first order over $30 gets a $5 discount. I hadn't bought anything, so I threw down for the $45.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#856 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 4, 2020 9:43 am

Sauce Boss wrote:

Paging MikeIsGood. Releases on PC on August 7, $49.99. If you didn't buy anything yet during the Steam Summer Sale, your first order over $30 gets a $5 discount. I hadn't bought anything, so I threw down for the $45.

Horizon. really good game, had few gripes that kept if from being great, but it was a good 8/10. The world building was so good, it almost reminded me of Mass Effect level of detail.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#857 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jul 4, 2020 2:31 pm

Horizon is probably a game I didn't get much out of because I usually play games on the easiest mode when a story is involved. I finished it and was underwhelmed, didn't feel like going back. I'm playing Shadow of War on it and having a blast being a damn super hero just mowing down everything in my path. I save my difficulty and frustration for my beloved Souls and Souls-likes. Currently rotating between saves of Dark Souls III, Nioh 2, and Salt and Sanctuary.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#858 » by truly » Sat Jul 4, 2020 5:12 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:

I recommend Tyranny.It's also from obsidian,far less known than pillars but i liked it much more than PoE2.

The only negative this game has is that it doesnt have a sequel.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/362960/Tyranny/
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
BallinBucks420
Pro Prospect
And1: 108

Post#859 » by BallinBucks420 » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:51 am

I've been a playstation guy my whole life(in my mid twenties) I'm thinking about going the PC gaming route but getting a laptop...any suggestions on what would be best option if I'm trying to spend 800$ or less..im not hardcore gamer or anything just play anywhere from 5 to 20some hours a week tops just don't have the time anymore with work but still enjoy playing on weekends and some weeknights
thanks for any help don't really have any idea what I'm doing in this field lol
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#860 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jul 6, 2020 1:06 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:

#1 selling game on Steam and it isn't even out yet.

I think between P4G and Horizon, Sony (and their partner publishers) are doing a good job of selling PS5s :lol:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks