ImageImage

What happens if/when the season resumes?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: What happens if/when the season resumes? 

Post#101 » by d-train » Sat Jul 4, 2020 5:48 pm

I'm not worried about our SF. Our SF position is fine. We don't look to our SF to win the games, but we have a guy who can make big plays to win a game if called upon.

Defense: Our weakness is defending the ball. It's most important to pressure the ball and defend the rim. If we do this, the chances of everything in-between going our way is much better. Our pressure on the ball is not going to be what was planned when we started the season with Bazemore. We can still get the job done, but we need CJ and Lillard to lead the team on defense and offense. The plan was, we would have Bazemore or Ariza for 25-28 minutes to pressure the ball, we won't have this.

Offense: The way to win is by making the games about what we do best. The Blazers are an offensive team. Everyone seems to believe Blazers are taking a hit at SF. I don't see it this way. We started the year with Hood and are better by replacing him with Melo. Melo gives us better scoring skill, better passing and playmaking, toughness, and physicality. The chemistry with Hood was good, and this is what you might worry about with Melo. Except, the chemistry has been good with Melo, Lillard, and CJ. The chemistry between Melo, Lillard, and CJ has more potential.

Chemistry: The chemistry between Lillard, CJ, and Melo is good, but we really need the chemistry between Lillard and Nurkic back. Lillard, CJ, Nurkic, Collins, and Melo gives us passing, shooting, and playmaking at 5 positions. If we can rebound, we will win.
d-train
RealGM

Post#102 » by d-train » Sat Jul 4, 2020 6:37 pm

I expect Blazers need to win 6 of 8 games to make it into the play-in. Six of our 8 games are against the best teams. The NBA has set Pelicans on an easy path to win 6 and if we don't stay with the Pelicans, we are out.
d-train
RealGM

Post#103 » by d-train » Sat Jul 4, 2020 7:34 pm

JasonStern wrote:
d-train wrote:I have never seen Adams play. I get the impression he is a "true PG" in the mold of Lillard and CJ.

Olshey does have a type.

Here's what Olshey said:
“When you look at it, Damian and CJ, play over 40 minutes a game in the playoffs,” Olshey said. “We’ve got a three-week training period down in Orlando including three scrimmages, clearly we’re going to be managing the load on Dame and CJ before they have to go play eight games in the 13 days including a back-to-back, and hopefully a play-in game or two and then hopefully into the playoffs. So a point guard was more critical in terms of load management for our two best players than it was us thinking that we were going to find a player who hadn’t been traded at the trade deadline, who hadn’t been bought out, who wasn’t eligible on Mar. 1, who was going to be capable of replacing our best wing defender and a guy who was shooting 40 percent from three with us.”

Trail Blazers coach Terry Stotts echoed the same sentiments:
“With Trevor being out, obviously, the guys that we have we felt comfortable with filling some of those minutes,” Stotts said.

More from Olshey:
“And really the thinking was we’re going to have three weeks of practice and we have low numbers, we’ve got plenty of wings, we’ve got plenty of bigs, and to be able to have good practice without overusing Dame and CJ was important. That was the primary concern.”
d-train
RealGM

Post#104 » by d-train » Sat Jul 4, 2020 7:41 pm

Here is Olshey on Melo"
"The perception of Carmelo is so … off," said Neil Olshey, the Blazers' president of basketball operations. "I mean, he's a hooper."
d-train
RealGM

Post#105 » by d-train » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:18 am

I wonder if the Blazers players believe they have a chance. The only way we get into the playoffs is if we are one of the 3 or 4 best teams in the league.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#106 » by Matt800 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:50 pm

d-train wrote:I wonder if the Blazers players believe they have a chance. The only way we get into the playoffs is if we are one of the 3 or 4 best teams in the league.

There was a melo interview where he was talking about going hard right from the start, like they don't have time to drop some games. And he was trying to spread that mindset of being locked in from the start. So if that takes, they could win games, but it also might not be easy to maintain that.

But with health, and the other teams being pretty young, lots could happen. NO could certainly drop games. Or key players could get sick. Portland has a chance.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#107 » by PDX MM » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Who can staying healthy the best is probably the biggest variable in all of this so we might not have to be the actual 3rd or 4th best team but one of the more lucky ones and after this season we should be due to have some good luck.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#108 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:25 pm

So are these 8 games pretty much to decide who finishes 8th and 9th? Can teams move up or down in the playoff picture? Without looking at how many games back Portland is from Dallas, could the Blazers finish 7th or is 1-7 already decided?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,162

Post#109 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:58 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:So are these 8 games pretty much to decide who finishes 8th and 9th? Can teams move up or down in the playoff picture? Without looking at how many games back Portland is from Dallas, could the Blazers finish 7th or is 1-7 already decided?

I believe for standings, although we are more than 8 games behind Dallas so we have zero shot at 7th seed. But for example if Memphis wins all their games and Dallas loses all their games I think they can switch seeds.

What I haven't been able to find clarification on is if the 9th and 10th seeds are both within 4 games of the 8th seed, does only the 9th seed team get the two game play-in? The most likely scenario is us finishing 10th behind the Pelicans but within 4 games of Memphis.

Honestly the first couple games are going to be the most important, we really have to root for the Pelicans to drop 2 of their first 3 games or something. Once teams start getting eliminated (which only takes like 3 games for the bottom teams) they are going to tank, so the Pelicans should win their last stretch of games with zero problems.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,460

Post#110 » by Pattycakes » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:21 pm

I’ve said it before, but the return of Zach (Can anyone confirm this? and Nurk) put us right back up there. Let’s dream big guys and get this chip. I know I need that ****, and so does the city.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#111 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:55 pm

Thanks DBR. I don't believe a team has a shot at the playoffs if finishing 10th, but within 4 games. Portland played more games than the other teams so there will be an advantage if both Portland and New Orleans go 6-2. That tie-breaker was decided when the regular season finished in March. Portland had something like a .439 win percentage while the Pelicans and Kings had a .438 win percentage. Now, if the Pelicans and Kings tie for 9th place, there are other tie-breakers in place to decide who actually finishes 9th and 10th. What those tie-breakers are... I have no clue!!! I do know that Portland holds the tie-breaker against any of the teams lower than them currently if there is a tie.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#112 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:32 pm

terry stotts is determined to play nurk & whiteside together and i can only hope its for a couple of minutes

i want to see nurk & collins play together as much as they can
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,872

Post#113 » by JasonStern » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:05 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:What I haven't been able to find clarification on is if the 9th and 10th seeds are both within 4 games of the 8th seed, does only the 9th seed team get the two game play-in? The most likely scenario is us finishing 10th behind the Pelicans but within 4 games of Memphis.

From everything I have read, only the 9th seed gets the opportunity to play the 8th seed. So Portland would at least need to hold onto the 9th seed to have a chance at the playoffs.

That said, don't overlook the possibility of both Nawlins and Portland jumping Memphis and those two teams having the play-in battle. Memphis has:

Portland
San Antonio
Nawlins
Utah
OKC
Toronto
Boston
Milwaukee

First 3 games against potential play-in teams (although San Antonio is questionable without Aldridge). Plus games against Utah, OKC, and Boston that likely need to win for playoff seeding purposes. Memphis definitely has the edge being 3.5 games up. And Nawlins definitely has the easiest schedule. But when has doubting Dame ever worked out for anyone? And if Dame, Nurkić, Carmelo, etc. are all showing up hungry and motivated...
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#114 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:12 pm

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if Portland finishes in the 8 spot when the Lakers are
the opponent?

What's more important is to see one way or another, whether Nurk and Hassan can play together and to
learn more about the team with Nurk and Zach on the court with the team as it currently stands. The
practices and 8 games become more like a summer league which is why those teams not in the playoff
bubble want their own bubble. I really would like to see in a game situation, whether Hassan can play
with both Zach and Nurk for Portland faces a decision with Hassan whom they can likely sign at a decent
price in this CV impacted financial market for the NBA.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#115 » by JasonStern » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:49 am

Norm2953 wrote:In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if Portland finishes in the 8 spot when the Lakers are
the opponent?

Lakers down Bradley and Rondo, making it easier for Dame and CJ to feast. Nurkić and Collins back, making it harder for Davis to feast. Whiteside on a contract year. Melo realizing he's running out of time. While plenty of turnover, the core of this team still made the WCF last year. I don't think we're as lost of a cause as many seem to believe. Not saying the Blazers will make a run or even get the 8th seed, but history has proven not to doubt a motivated Dame.
- Chauncey Billups
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#116 » by Matt800 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:48 am

JasonStern wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if Portland finishes in the 8 spot when the Lakers are
the opponent?

Lakers down Bradley and Rondo, making it easier for Dame and CJ to feast. Nurkić and Collins back, making it harder for Davis to feast. Whiteside on a contract year. Melo realizing he's running out of time. While plenty of turnover, the core of this team still made the WCF last year. I don't think we're as lost of a cause as many seem to believe. Not saying the Blazers will make a run or even get the 8th seed, but history has proven not to doubt a motivated Dame.

I think if Portland had Ariza as well they would have a decent chance to compete with any team. If they had Hood too, then even more so. Without those two they kind of need someone on the team to start playing significantly better than they have, or other teams to get worse. But both of those are possible.

Like if Little could somehow be a good 3 and D, or Trent Jr. starts playing consistently like his best games, or Nurkic is somehow better than he was before, or Carmelo somehow actually has gotten in better shape and starts playing like a fringe allstar, or Simons has a big improvement on D and offense. Any of those could do it. It's possible Collins and Whiteside/Nurkic will be a really good defensive combo as well. The first game Whiteside and Collins looked really promising together. Denver couldn't get anything in the paint until the bench came in. But the bench was basically worthless.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#117 » by Norm2953 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:12 pm

If and butts were candy and nuts....

Those Lakers still have Lebron and Davis but I maintain the extra practices and live action are more
important than playoff hopes. Think about these games as CFB teams getting extra practices and time
before a bowl game. Team needs to know how their players fit after Nurk and Zach's return for if
Hassan and Nurk play well together, this depressed FA market means we can keep Hassan at a great
price. I'd like to see if Nurk can play a Pau Gasol role who played PF for the Lakers when the Lakers
had Bynum.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#118 » by JasonStern » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:18 am

How strung out is Gary Trent Jr?

Hope I'm just reading into it too much, or he forgot he had to present himself for the cameras. But bad green screening aside, he looks like a "covid like symptoms" candidate. Disappointing because he was one of the most positive things to come out of this season pre-covid.
- Chauncey Billups
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,460

Post#119 » by Pattycakes » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:58 pm

JasonStern wrote:How strung out is Gary Trent Jr?

Hope I'm just reading into it too much, or he forgot he had to present himself for the cameras. But bad green screening aside, he looks like a "covid like symptoms" candidate. Disappointing because he was one of the most positive things to come out of this season pre-covid.

Alright Trump
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#120 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:18 pm

Alright Trump

lol what. He absolutely looks like he just stayed up for 2 days. The COVID remarks are confusing, but he looks like me at a work meeting Monday morning after a music festival bender.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers