2020-2021 Nuggets Roster?

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: 2020-2021 Nuggets Roster? 

Post#21 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jun 6, 2020 1:16 am

psimanic1 wrote:Didnt we release Jordan?

Yes, but he is still technically our free agent - unrestricted!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Jun 6, 2020 1:59 am

skywalker33 wrote:Looks like Grant is leaning towards opting out of his PO, interesting decision to be made by the Nuggets FO

I think that's a risky move since the salary cap next year is unknown. There could be very few teams with cap space, depending on what the NBA does about this entire situation.

But if Grant and the Nuggets are having discussions and they are willing to pay cap-tax, this might be a great time to sign Grant to a four-year deal.

It's going to be interesting!
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#23 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:25 am

skywalker33 wrote:C - Jokic, Bol
PF - Grant, Millsap, Cancar
SF - Porter Jr, Bates-Diop, Craig
SG - Harris, Barton
PG - Murray, Morris, Dozier

While this roster isn't set in stone, sure appears the strength of this team by position (IMO) is :

1. C - With Jokic our only All-Star and the defensive presence Bol appears to bring, we could be set for the next decade.
2. PG - Murray is still our 2nd best scorer and Morris is VERY efficient, even Dozier has long-term potential.
3. SF - Labeled my 3rd best position, this is really based on the potential of both MPJ and KBD. Craig could be our 3&D.
4. PF - Hard call but Grant is still learning the process while PM brings consistency despite his age.
5. SG - Harris declined in offense but remains a stalwart on defense, he can increase this ranking by regaining his scoring. Barton's a player but needs to embraces a role off the bench.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258523/Teams-Expected-To-Carry-Fewer-Players-In-20-21-To-Save-Money

Interesting thought: Teams might carry only 14 players - maybe 13. I seriously doubt the 13 suggestion. But think about it seriously, how much money do they save by cutting the last roster slot? Not much! If they do go to just 14, the Nuggets might be in a better position than most of the teams.
skywalker33

Post#25 » by skywalker33 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:31 pm

Didn't the Nuggets carry 13-14 throughout this season anyway ?? Shouldn't be difficult since Malone only plays his favorite 4 plus one token player anyway :lol:

TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,788

Post#26 » by TunaFish » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Not sure if this is the proper thread but:

"Nuggets have signed PJ Dozier to a full NBA contract to fill their final roster spot." https://www.denverstiffs.com/2020/6/24/21301954/report-nuggets-sign-two-way-guard-pj-dozier-to-nba-contract
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#27 » by skywalker33 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:36 am

TunaFish wrote:Not sure if this is the proper thread but:

"Nuggets have signed PJ Dozier to a full NBA contract to fill their final roster spot." https://www.denverstiffs.com/2020/6/24/21301954/report-nuggets-sign-two-way-guard-pj-dozier-to-nba-contract

Interesting, thought Bol might get it but the FO might not see him as NBA-ready as Dozier. Also, think Dozier might fit our roster needs for the rest of the season but the real question is looming. We now have an open spot for another 2-way contract, whose our next star-in-the-making ??

Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#28 » by Coeur » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:And I'm sorta' happy with what we have - overall

I think you should consider a name change. Something symbolizing this main theme. At least get rid of the WY part for FoCo or NoCo. Anything more “Coloradan”
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Coeur wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:And I'm sorta' happy with what we have - overall

I think you should consider a name change. Something symbolizing this main theme. At least get rid of the WY part for FoCo or NoCo. Anything more “Coloradan”

:lol: I live in WY and am proud to NOT be a "Greenie". (For those not in the region, "greenie" comes from the typical Colorado license plate - which is, of course, green.)
skywalker33

Post#30 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:41 am

skywalker33 wrote:

Interesting, thought Bol might get it but the FO might not see him as NBA-ready as Dozier. Also, think Dozier might fit our roster needs for the rest of the season but the real question is looming. We now have an open spot for another 2-way contract, whose our next star-in-the-making ??

PF Tyler Cook rejoins the Nuggets on a 2-way contract, he showed some promise last SL but where does fit ?

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:07 am

skywalker33 wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

PF Tyler Cook rejoins the Nuggets on a 2-way contract, he showed some promise last SL but where does fit ?

Seems likely he'll be a practice player. Perhaps they expect him to make the team next year but it seems unlikely he'll be a significant contributor ---- my opinion.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#32 » by NYG » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:19 am

NuggetsWY wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Hawks fan here. If Grant opts out and becomes a FA, how much is Denver willing to pay to keep him?

With the new situation, it's hard to say. Just consider what Denver traded to get him. Then consider that he is our probably starter (which players love). It's possible a team could negotiate a deal with him that Denver won't match because he isn't a top-2 player for us and probably not top-3.

If Atlanta is interested, does that mean they are wanting him off the bench or do they want to replace Collins?

As a neutral fan (Knicks), I see Gary Harris to Atlanta as having sensibility especially with the Hawks ability to absorb salary difference and a weak unrestricted wing free agent market. I can’t quite put my finger on the appropriate value here though. Atlanta seems to be able to offer too much value or not enough without many gray area trade pieces.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:57 pm

NYG wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Hawks fan here. If Grant opts out and becomes a FA, how much is Denver willing to pay to keep him?

With the new situation, it's hard to say. Just consider what Denver traded to get him. Then consider that he is our probably starter (which players love). It's possible a team could negotiate a deal with him that Denver won't match because he isn't a top-2 player for us and probably not top-3.

If Atlanta is interested, does that mean they are wanting him off the bench or do they want to replace Collins?

As a neutral fan (Knicks), I see Gary Harris to Atlanta as having sensibility especially with the Hawks ability to absorb salary difference and a weak unrestricted wing free agent market. I can’t quite put my finger on the appropriate value here though. Atlanta seems to be able to offer too much value or not enough without many gray area trade pieces.

Totally agree and thanks for the visit. "Young teams" (usually meaning "non-playoff") tend to have veterans on contracts of more value that are only desired if they are a perfect fit or young players with more upside than anyone is willing to pay for. Denver tends to fit in that category too - when looking at players like Porter & a few others. Harris is in a weird category. He had a bad year so his salary is too high but if he bounces back (a gamble, but a decent one) - he could be a good deal for someone.

I'd hate to see Harris traded and he's definitely not my first choice to trade, but if Denver does trade him, it won't kill them (on paper). Team chemistry can be an important consideration though. I suspect that's the biggest reason Denver won't be doing any trades. They like what they have in Jokic & Plumlee & MIllsap & Grant & Harris & Murray and for some reason that I can't fathom, coach likes Barton. So they want to keep Millsap and/or Grant and maybe Plumlee plus we have Porter & Bates-Diop that seem like nice small forwards (which is why I wish Barton were traded) plus Craig seems to work well as a third SF for us. At guard we also have Morris & Dozier whom Denver probably over-values compared to where others see them. Plus we Bol that we really want to fit in.

As I count it, That's about twelve players that Denver probably won't trade --- unless of course the right deal comes along. :wink:
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,549

Post#34 » by Alatan » Sat Jul 4, 2020 10:56 pm

Am Ithe only one that is really high on Bol? The kid seems like a really skilled player apart from being a physical freak. The only question marks with him are his health and his strength. The later might not be a weakness since I believe that he is probably better when playing the four spot. Something like Porzingis.

I''d really like to see him play the PF next to Jokic. He should probably be on minutes restriction until we are 100% sure his foot healed. Coming of the bench in a staggered lineup with Jokic would be awesome for the beginning. Twin towers part 2!
skywalker33

Post#35 » by skywalker33 » Sat Jul 4, 2020 11:16 pm

Alatan wrote:Am Ithe only one that is really high on Bol? The kid seems like a really skilled player apart from being a physical freak. The only question marks with him are his health and his strength. The later might not be a weakness since I believe that he is probably better when playing the four spot. Something like Porzingis.

I''d really like to see him play the PF next to Jokic. He should probably be on minutes restriction until we are 100% sure his foot healed. Coming of the bench in a staggered lineup with Jokic would be awesome for the beginning. Twin towers part 2!

I'd just like to see him at a healthy 255lbs (again), although a 255lb PF would have to play on the perimeter where Jokic usually plays, only his 7'1 height would give him a shot in the paint.

Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by Alatan » Sun Jul 5, 2020 9:55 am

skywalker33 wrote:
Alatan wrote:Am Ithe only one that is really high on Bol? The kid seems like a really skilled player apart from being a physical freak. The only question marks with him are his health and his strength. The later might not be a weakness since I believe that he is probably better when playing the four spot. Something like Porzingis.

I'd just like to see him at a healthy 255lbs (again), although a 255lb PF would have to play on the perimeter where Jokic usually plays, only his 7'1 height would give him a shot in the paint.

We could play 5 out. Imagine the spacing for cuts and drives. Imagine all the sick assists. :D Both Jokic and Bol could play either on the perimeter or the high post, with Jokic being able to play the low post too. The spacing with 2 stretch bigs would be a tactical dreamland for a playmaking savant such is Jokic. On the defensive side Bol is a tremendous shot blocker and weak side helper. As a 4 he would be slow to keep up with many wings and guards but his length more than makes up for it. Its not like Grant is good against wings or guards and we still make it work.

Bol is a really special player and i think the can work next to Jokic.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jul 5, 2020 1:19 pm

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

We could play 5 out. Imagine the spacing for cuts and drives. Imagine all the sick assists. :D Both Jokic and Bol could play either on the perimeter or the high post, with Jokic being able to play the low post too. The spacing with 2 stretch bigs would be a tactical dreamland for a playmaking savant such is Jokic. On the defensive side Bol is a tremendous shot blocker and weak side helper. As a 4 he would be slow to keep up with many wings and guards but his length more than makes up for it. Its not like Grant is good against wings or guards and we still make it work.

I'd love to see if Bol could be a C/PF. Not sure he can play Jokic's style but still ...
At PF, Bol seems very natural especially playing out of the corner. (Just like Grant.)
skywalker33

Post#38 » by skywalker33 » Sun Jul 5, 2020 3:23 pm

Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

Yeah, like that idea as well, very intriguing. Wonder how Bol's passing skills are ?? Even so, I have faith in his outside shooting, rare for a guy his size. Talent is not Bol's question, heath and durability is...but we did hang out for MPJ, if Bol Bol hit too we can be set in the fronty court for the next decade. Even if Bol comes off the bench I'd be OK with that

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Jul 5, 2020 10:12 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Alatan wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:I'd just like to see him at a healthy 255lbs (again), although a 255lb PF would have to play on the perimeter where Jokic usually plays, only his 7'1 height would give him a shot in the paint.

Yeah, like that idea as well, very intriguing. Wonder how Bol's passing skills are ?? Even so, I have faith in his outside shooting, rare for a guy his size. Talent is not Bol's question, heath and durability is...but we did hang out for MPJ, if Bol Bol hit too we can be set in the fronty court for the next decade. Even if Bol comes off the bench I'd be OK with that

I've watched everything I could find on Bol. My opinion:

He shoots 3s a little better than Jokic - but doesn't take a lot of 3s so when he shoots them, they are usually a solid choice. His 2pt shooting is exceptional considering he isn't muscling in for slam dunks. He doesn't draw many fouls, so I haven't seen him shoot FTs much. I expect he'll do well there based on his shooting form.

He's not a big-time rebounder but adding just 5-6 per game is acceptable IMO.
He doesn't get a lot of blocks, probably just a bit more than Jokic. His defense isn't as smooth as Jokic, who always seems to be in the right place, but he uses his height to block an occasional shot - he's very good at anticipating. As an added bonus, I haven't seem him commit "dumb fouls".

He doesn't do a lot of ball handling, probably because it takes so long for the ball to go from his hand to the floor and back. :wink: But he doesn't commit a lot of turnovers - nor does he get many assists. (More turnovers than assists, but not enough to be a problem for the Nuggets.)

Like Jokic, his game is based on his basketball IQ more than his physical abilities. I'm hoping he works out for us. If we retain Grant and Porter works out even close to what we expect - well, as Skywalker said, our front-court is looking pretty good (all based on three big "IFs").
Alatan
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by Alatan » Sun Jul 5, 2020 11:29 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Alatan wrote:We could play 5 out. Imagine the spacing for cuts and drives. Imagine all the sick assists. :D Both Jokic and Bol could play either on the perimeter or the high post, with Jokic being able to play the low post too. The spacing with 2 stretch bigs would be a tactical dreamland for a playmaking savant such is Jokic. On the defensive side Bol is a tremendous shot blocker and weak side helper. As a 4 he would be slow to keep up with many wings and guards but his length more than makes up for it. Its not like Grant is good against wings or guards and we still make it work.

I've watched everything I could find on Bol. My opinion:

He shoots 3s a little better than Jokic - but doesn't take a lot of 3s so when he shoots them, they are usually a solid choice. His 2pt shooting is exceptional considering he isn't muscling in for slam dunks. He doesn't draw many fouls, so I haven't seen him shoot FTs much. I expect he'll do well there based on his shooting form.

He's not a big-time rebounder but adding just 5-6 per game is acceptable IMO.
He doesn't get a lot of blocks, probably just a bit more than Jokic. His defense isn't as smooth as Jokic, who always seems to be in the right place, but he uses his height to block an occasional shot - he's very good at anticipating. As an added bonus, I haven't seem him commit "dumb fouls".

He doesn't do a lot of ball handling, probably because it takes so long for the ball to go from his hand to the floor and back. :wink: But he doesn't commit a lot of turnovers - nor does he get many assists. (More turnovers than assists, but not enough to be a problem for the Nuggets.)

Like Jokic, his game is based on his basketball IQ more than his physical abilities. I'm hoping he works out for us. If we retain Grant and Porter works out even close to what we expect - well, as Skywalker said, our front-court is looking pretty good (all based on three big "IFs").

Nice analysis. Here are my thoughts on Bol and his fit on the team.

His shot is really smooth and from what i could see in the latest clips of him he adjusted his shooting form to have a higher release point. So he shoots even better now. And its not just his shot, as you also noticed, he has a really good touch as a shooter from mid range and post. Really soft hands witch is important for a big in my opinion.

His soft hands and agility allow him to put the ball on the floor but i agree that due to his height i would not expect him to use that ability much in the NBA. What he can do is shoot from anywhere on the court, be it spot up, turnaround, hooks, floaters and the ocasional of the dribble against slower guys. He has really good body control, a decent vertical and 7 8 wingspan so finishing play will be child play for him. Add finishing plays as a role man or a cutter and we have a competent offensive piece on our hands.

There are signs that he has good game awareness and a bit of passing skill witch would help him be a good team and help defender and an even better offensive player.

His rebounding was solid mostly due to his standing reach. He didnt show good fundamentals but that can be fixed. The thing that was worst about his rebounding is that he is averse to contact and banging witch is understandable because of his slender frame and age. I dont think he will ever be a bruiser but as he gets older he will get stronger and hopefully more willing to take punishment. Either way his 9 6 standing reach does wonders on the rebounding side.

His post defense is the same story. Has great tools but was not willing to play rough. Hope he adds strength and mitigates that somewhat.
As a help defender he was good some times but sometimes he just didnt bother. Seems he lacks stamina and maybe will to play defense consistently. Again i hope NBA conditioning and growing up will fix that but that is not a certain thing as many players dont have the dog to play intensively the whole game.

On the perimeter he was surprising. Being able to keep up with guards with his body control and length but i would not count on him to do it consistently in the NBA.

I think that between his length and Jokics smart positioning we will be able to make a pretty solid defensive scheme where one can cover for the others weaknesses. The biggest problem will be perimeter defense and thats why we really need to find one or even 2 good wing defenders that can shoot. Considering that the same problem exists now, adding Bol would not make anything worse.

On the offensive side Jokic and Bol compliment each other really well. Bol adds verticality and spacing for Jokic to do his magic while Jokic takes away the bruising responsibilities from Bol witch is his weakness. With Jokic as the center Bol would have a good 4 inches on most power forwards to finish plays or shoot over and that is hard to stop. If teams would put their fives on Bol, Jokic would just bludgeon any PF in the paint. Since they can both shoot playing 5 out would open a world of opportunities for cuts, drives and isolations. Considering teams are going smaller maybe going with two skilled bigs is a refreshing way to get the edge.

In theory the offense would be unstoppable while the defense would be from decent to good depending on the quality of wings we could get.

Return to Denver Nuggets