ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,145

Re: Official Rap/Hip Hop Thread V 

Post#1741 » by Fat Kat » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:14 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Fab should of been against Cam

Sigel vs Jada though I hear Sigel isn’t doing well these days...

i thought fab was going to beat jada before because fab has a lot of big hits. i always figured jada always had big joker in "benjamins." but fab has a lot of big tunes under his belt that were more pop friendly.

i figured whoever controlled the tone would win. if jada could keep it about the bars, that would level it. if it turned into a hits battle, i figured fab could run away with it.

I could see that, but Fab has fly bars and Cam has fly bars. It would have been a battle of Swag of BK vs Harlem. Like whoever was planning this could have sold that battle so easy. The city itself would have stopped to watch it.

For Jada with Sigel being not in rapping shape. I don’t know who you put in there from his era. Like Push is both too new and too big for that vs., Gibbs isn’t built that way. I honestly don’t know who could give Jada’s catalog a legit battle. There are lyricist, but they aren’t street rappers.

It would’ve been bigger if they matched someone non-New York. Fab and Jada share fan bases. How do you think Scarface would’ve done against Jadakiss?
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,964

Post#1742 » by Manhattan Project » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:16 pm

WargamesX wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Fab should of been against Cam

Sigel vs Jada though I hear Sigel isn’t doing well these days...

i thought fab was going to beat jada before because fab has a lot of big hits. i always figured jada always had big joker in "benjamins." but fab has a lot of big tunes under his belt that were more pop friendly.

i figured whoever controlled the tone would win. if jada could keep it about the bars, that would level it. if it turned into a hits battle, i figured fab could run away with it.

I could see that, but Fab has fly bars and Cam has fly bars. It would have been a battle of Swag of BK vs Harlem. Like whoever was planning this could have sold that battle so easy. The city itself would have stopped to watch it.

For Jada with Sigel being not in rapping shape. I don’t know who you put in there from his era. Like Push is both too new and too big for that vs., Gibbs isn’t built that way. I honestly don’t know who could give Jada’s catalog a legit battle. There are lyricist, but they aren’t street rappers.

Kiss vs Ghostface would be highly entertaining.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#1743 » by WargamesX » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:42 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:
WargamesX wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:

Kiss vs Ghostface would be highly entertaining.

Yeahhhh that would have been perfect!! Hell their song RUN together had them spitting fire.

Running like I got Bears on me ..... that whole song was quotable
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,850

Post#1744 » by SelbyCobra » Sun Jul 5, 2020 9:28 pm

Phish Tank wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:RTJ4 & Alfredo in heavy rotation.

I've gotten tears in my eyes on more than one occasion when the playlist gets to a few words for the firing squad.

This one hits in all kinds of ways. Sheesh.

no doubt.

I ended up downloading RTJ on their website this week. Listened to the entire album as one song. It's actually pretty dope listening to it that way because of how the album flows.

Context
RealGM
And1: 11,880

Post#1745 » by Context » Sun Jul 5, 2020 10:41 pm

Brooklyn's own:
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1746 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Jul 6, 2020 6:27 pm

Big Boi and Sleepy Brown is a deadly combo.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Post#1747 » by Phish Tank » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:58 am

Snoop vs DMX

Unless Snoop's so high that he messes up the tracklist, I think he should be able to beat DMX at this. Just way too many hits for the Doggfather.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1748 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:08 pm

Phish Tank wrote:

Snoop vs Dmx

Unless Snoop's so high that he messes up the tracklist, I think he should be able to beat DMX at this. Just way too many hits for the Doggfather.

They're probably going to be giving off such different energy with their track list it'll definitely be interesting to see what songs they go with.

Gin and Juice to Drop it like it's hot to Who Am I to Beautiful... Snoop will probably mix serious with fun probably. Where as DMX can do something like What's my name to Slippin to We Go hard to Party up in here etc

Literally no way that they can mess this up, it'll come down to how many songs they play and if they're having fun or being serious.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1749 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:57 am

Snoop's catalog is too epically deep to be taken down by X if you're being technical and actually scoring this (which nobody should be doing because this is epic on another level), but X's songs are giving me goosebumps in a way that Snoop's don't. X has more more raw energy in his flow, lyrics, and voice than any rapper ever. What an amazing battle this has been, and to top it off, whoever runs the Knicks IG is in there repeatedly backing X which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. :lol:

SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1750 » by SelbyCobra » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:54 am

Jesus christ, this is unbelievable. What a great moment. Snoop is a whole mood, and X is exactly what we always knew him to be. God DAMN.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,086

Post#1751 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:27 pm

He never misses
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1752 » by SelbyCobra » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 pm

I need help, Knicks fan bredren - especially the yardies!

I'm trying to find more artists/albums/songs that sound and vibe like Koffee. I have her Rapture EP, the and the new Lockdown single, but nothing beyond that, and I'm looking to create a larger, chill playlist that stays in that style - pop-ish, modern dancehall/reggae. I have four elementary school kids, so I don't want it to ever get too hard, and profanity is a no, though if the patois is thick enough and the average white person can't understand it, I don't give a sh*t. :lol: I've been playing a lot of afrobeats, and love it as a similar type of upbeat vibe, but the dancehall sound that Koffee works fits perfectly for having on around the house with the family.

I'm also willing to curate albums that have some songs that would work and others that I'd take out - I don't need the whole album recommendation to be 100% perfect. I'm just looking to be introduced to more sh*t that sounds like what she brings to the table. Thanks!
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1753 » by 3toheadmelo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:39 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:I need help, Knicks fan bredren - especially the yardies!

I'm trying to find more artists/albums/songs that sound and vibe like Koffee. I have her Rapture EP, the and the new Lockdown single, but nothing beyond that, and I'm looking to create a larger, chill playlist that stays in that style - pop-ish, modern dancehall/reggae. I have four elementary school kids, so I don't want it to ever get too hard, and profanity is a no, though if the patois is thick enough and the average white person can't understand it, I don't give a sh*t. :lol: I've been playing a lot of afrobeats, and love it as a similar type of upbeat vibe, but the dancehall sound that Koffee works fits perfectly for having on around the house with the family.

I'm also willing to curate albums that have some songs that would work and others that I'd take out - I don't need the whole album recommendation to be 100% perfect. I'm just looking to be introduced to more sh*t that sounds like what she brings to the table. Thanks!

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1754 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:25 am

3toheadmelo wrote:

Perfect - thank you! I pulled most of these to the playlist. Even though I liked the sound, had to leave that Mamakita alone after catching the first verse loud and clear. :lol:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#1755 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:21 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

Perfect - thank you! I pulled most of these to the playlist. Even though I liked the sound, had to leave that Mamakita alone after catching the first verse loud and clear. :lol:

i think 3toheadmelo did a great job here. also, UK in general when you step away from the grime/drill ALWAYS has artists with a great world music feel. for example, it's clear burna boy is influenced by of course his nigerian music roots (fela), but also the dancehall stuff it inspired. african giant is my favorite album in a MINUTE. most of it isn't explicit... in english lol.

the hard part is finding the clean stuff and radio version.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1756 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:43 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

:lol: :lol: My bad
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1757 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:07 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

i think 3toheadmelo did a great job here. also, UK in general when you step away from the grime/drill ALWAYS has artists with a great world music feel. for example, it's clear burna boy is influenced by of course his nigerian music roots (fela), but also the dancehall stuff it inspired. african giant is my favorite album in a MINUTE. most of it isn't explicit... in english lol.

the hard part is finding the clean stuff and radio version.

OH DAMN, THIS WHOLE ALBUM IS FIRE!

I've been listening through it and had to reluctantly take out a few songs where the profanity/sexuality is blatant ("**** up" in Dangote, "f*ck a plan A, and move to plan B" in Omo, and "smack your booty and choke ya" on Secret :lol: ) but this whole thing is exactly what I'm looking for. I mean, Pull Up and Destiny back to back on that album - SHEESH.

You guys are the best. If you have any more recs like these I'm here listening.
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1758 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Going through his catalog, Burna Boy's new single Wonderful is great. A little bit more afrobeats leaning than what I hear on African Giant. Twice As Tall is going to set records when it drops, huh?
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#1759 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:07 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:Going through his catalog, Burna Boy's new single Wonderful is great. A little bit more afrobeats leaning than what I hear on African Giant. Twice As Tall is going to set records when it drops, huh?

yeah. i love him. it is amazing to have a truly global african star on the popular music scene.

and you're right. there are little pockets of explicit on some otherwise clean songs on AG. sorry about that. good job doing the due diligence.

glad burna boy was a good direction for you. a lot of good stuff offshoots from him. i think there are some jorja smith songs that might fit what you're looking for. obviously secret is an example of the dancehall influence and is more raunchy.

wonderful is all the way in the afrobeat pocket. good song. burna's got sounds all over the place. "killin dem" is like my personal anthem. and i have NO idea what he and zlatan are saying for the most part.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#1760 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:07 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:Going through his catalog, Burna Boy's new single Wonderful is great. A little bit more afrobeats leaning than what I hear on African Giant. Twice As Tall is going to set records when it drops, huh?

yeah. i love him. it is amazing to have a truly global african star on the popular music scene.

and you're right. there are little pockets of explicit on some otherwise clean songs on AG. sorry about that. good job doing the due diligence.

Damn man, no need to apologize! I love being able to curate the best stuff for the kids myself instead of having to find a perfect album or artist, which would leave me with substandard music in the house.

Jeff Van Gully wrote:glad burna boy was a good direction for you. a lot of good stuff offshoots from him. i think there are some jorja smith songs that might fit what you're looking for. obviously secret is an example of the dancehall influence and is more raunchy.

I just went through most of Jorja's catalogue and it's a little too melancholy for this playlist, but she is TALENTED. Wifee already been messaged though because it's up her alley, and she's happily going through her tracks at work now. Good stuff!

Jeff Van Gully wrote:wonderful is all the way in the afrobeat pocket. good song. burna's got sounds all over the place. "killin dem" is like my personal anthem. and i have NO idea what he and zlatan are saying for the most part.

:lol: Sometimes it's all about the beat, song title/chorus, and energy! God bless Wish for being slow enough for me to know his verse. :lol:

Return to New York Knicks