Oladipo to sit out NBA return....or not?

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Oladipo to sit out NBA return....or not? 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 3, 2020 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Vic and his trainer talk about his return having been pictured as a 2 year process and see this as part of it.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: Oladipo to sit out NBA return 

Post#2 » by Jake0890 » Fri Jul 3, 2020 9:02 pm

Very unfortunate.

His contract year is next year, so he was never going to risk it all in this weird restart format. He's got one big contract left.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#3 » by boomershadow » Sat Jul 4, 2020 12:01 am

Pretty disappointed.

Listened to JMV on the way to work. Fan reaction is going to be pretty bad.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#4 » by Pacersike » Sat Jul 4, 2020 8:46 am

I'd say follow the leader leader. Health is just too important.

On the condition that the players donate the rest of their year salary to the ones who have to work now to survive.

I don't need a sport to survive, no matter how awesome the sport is.

As a Belgian and world leader in per stats, I highly recommend the ones who can afford it to take a step back and take care of oneself and thus protecting others as well.
pimpis zajoba
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#5 » by pimpis zajoba » Sat Jul 4, 2020 11:09 am

All Hail Domas...Pacers new franchise player....In Domas We Trust.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jul 4, 2020 12:57 pm

Disappointing but for the best. There would be a high likelihood of injury given the format and the layoff.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:31 pm

pimpis zajoba wrote:All Hail Domas...Pacers new franchise player....In Domas We Trust.

I mean, we love him, but no. He’s no Oladipo. Bring the golden boy of Indiana University basketball is still a huge jump on “franchise player” that Domas will just not be able to top without an mvp like season.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 4, 2020 1:32 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Disappointing but for the best. There would be a high likelihood of injury given the format and the layoff.

Especially that we STILL don’t have the details that would be important for planning his ramp back up to full court physical activity.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#10 » by boomershadow » Sun Jul 5, 2020 10:24 pm

I almost inevitably disagree with anything Doyel says lol.

It is Oladipo's decision to make, and I don't dispute that in any way, but I do think it is disappointing. He was healthy enough in January to start playing games. Sure, he wasn't 100% back to form then, but it is July now. He could dedicate all of his professional time during this stoppage to rehabbing. I would think by now he could at least give 15 minutes a night off the bench if nothing else.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 6, 2020 2:07 am

boomershadow wrote:I almost inevitably disagree with anything Doyel says lol.

It is Oladipo's decision to make, and I don't dispute that in any way, but I do think it is disappointing. He was healthy enough in January to start playing games. Sure, he wasn't 100% back to form then, but it is July now. He could dedicate all of his professional time during this stoppage to rehabbing. I would think by now he could at least give 15 minutes a night off the bench if nothing else.

To me, it's more the stopping of play, and now having to try and ramp back up for something that isn't even fully mapped out yet exactly, in roughly 3 weeks or less. He's been running, jumping, and rehabbing, but he hasn't been able to play 5 on 5, or really any large scale basketball yet because of the Covid restrictions. And I think he's probably smart, and we're better off, if he takes this time to really fully recover.

I'd hate for him to reinjure it trying to ramp up his activity to 5 v 5 super quick, and then re aggravate the injury and not be able to really play until after he signs a new contract, potentially.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#12 » by pacers33granger » Mon Jul 6, 2020 9:27 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
boomershadow wrote:I almost inevitably disagree with anything Doyel says lol.

To me, it's more the stopping of play, and now having to try and ramp back up for something that isn't even fully mapped out yet exactly, in roughly 3 weeks or less. He's been running, jumping, and rehabbing, but he hasn't been able to play 5 on 5, or really any large scale basketball yet because of the Covid restrictions. And I think he's probably smart, and we're better off, if he takes this time to really fully recover.

I'd hate for him to reinjure it trying to ramp up his activity to 5 v 5 super quick, and then re aggravate the injury and not be able to really play until after he signs a new contract, potentially.

Yeah there's a much higher risk of injury for literally everyone right now. Beyond everyone ramping it up instantly, everything about this is new. It would be one thing if he was never injured before and just decided to sit out because he has a new deal coming up.

It's potentially a 9 figure bet if he plays and I don't think anyone would be willing to take that risk given the choice. He's not KD with no prior injury history who will get a max even on one leg. He's more in the Cousins realm where another setback injury could make him an MLE or less player.

Honestly I'm kinda baffled that any Pacers fan would have issue with his decision. The vast majority of us were iffy about him playing with knee soreness last year. Now that he's had a major injury and the setup is questionable on numerous levels, some fans are whining? Makes no sense to me.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#13 » by boomershadow » Tue Jul 7, 2020 5:31 am

pacers33granger wrote:Honestly I'm kinda baffled that any Pacers fan would have issue with his decision. The vast majority of us were iffy about him playing with knee soreness last year. Now that he's had a major injury and the setup is questionable on numerous levels, some fans are whining? Makes no sense to me.

I'm not saying I don't get it, but I'm not for it either. I do understand the arguments in favor of him sitting. And I'm super not one of those "players these days are so soft with their load management" kind of guys. I definitely don't think he should have been playing with knee soreness in January when it happened. The Pacers also have a clear history of trying to bring guys back too soon. Ask Danny Granger, but here we are now. A much older Tony Parker was off 8 months total. The restart of the season is almost seven months after Oladipo was cleared to play again. That doesn't seem like it's pushing it.

But I don't have to agree with it or like it. I obviously still hope Oladipo continues his progress and comes back great next year. It is what it is.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#14 » by pacers33granger » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:39 pm

boomershadow wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Honestly I'm kinda baffled that any Pacers fan would have issue with his decision. The vast majority of us were iffy about him playing with knee soreness last year. Now that he's had a major injury and the setup is questionable on numerous levels, some fans are whining? Makes no sense to me.

I'm not saying I don't get it, but I'm not for it either. I do understand the arguments in favor of him sitting. And I'm super not one of those "players these days are so soft with their load management" kind of guys. I definitely don't think he should have been playing with knee soreness in January when it happened. The Pacers also have a clear history of trying to bring guys back too soon. Ask Danny Granger, but here we are now. A much older Tony Parker was off 8 months total. The restart of the season is almost seven months after Oladipo was cleared to play again. That doesn't seem like it's pushing it.

But I don't have to agree with it or like it. I obviously still hope Oladipo continues his progress and comes back great next year. It is what it is.
I think if it were any sort of normal he would be playing. I understand why the league is doing what they're doing and I'm excited for basketball but it's a really really poor concept in actuality. I expect to see a huge spike in injuries and hopefully none are major.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:55 pm

boomershadow wrote:

He was originally cleared to play after months of progressive increases of workload and intensity, including slow work ups from 1 on 1 to 3 on 3 to 5 on 5, that took almost 5 months of planning and increases. In this case, he'd be ramping up from 1 on 1 in private workouts to 5 on 5 in about 3 weeks, if all goes perfect in planning.

He was cleared to play after proper rehab and ramping up of intensity. This is a different situation and in his rehab for his unique injury, would require a new "clear to play" from proper ramping up. His original "clear to play" wasn't a permanent, forever and ever clear to play, it was situational. Or else it wouldn't have come with minutes restrictions or daily checkups, or no playing on back to backs.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:56 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
boomershadow wrote:

I think if it were any sort of normal he would be playing. I understand why the league is doing what they're doing and I'm excited for basketball but it's a really really poor concept in actuality. I expect to see a huge spike in injuries and hopefully none are major.

I'm really tuned out. I'll probably treat this as if it's the new "midseason tournament" that Silver wants to institute. It's basketball, but not really real playoffs. :dontknow:
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Post#17 » by Tom White » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:54 pm

pacers33granger wrote:I think if it were any sort of normal he would be playing. I understand why the league is doing what they're doing and I'm excited for basketball but it's a really really poor concept in actuality. I expect to see a huge spike in injuries and hopefully none are major.

I guess I'll be the one to address the unspoken of elephant in the room. We also have to remember these players (and coaches and staff and refs) are risking acquiring the COVID-19 virus through this attempt to "save the season". Even with a high level of testing, I would be hesitant to ask these people to risk their health in this environment.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:53 pm

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2020/07/08/pacers-victor-oladipo-controlling-his-messaging-manage-his-future/5401237002/

J. Michael of the Indystar with some more in depth info. Oladipo will be in Orlando, and attempt practicing with the team, but plans on sitting out the return. Though, there's no requirement that he sit out the remainder since he'd have to be carried on the active 17 man roster limit in order to be eligible to even enter the bubble.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#19 » by Topofthekey » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:18 am

I'm fine with this

I'd probably do the same as well if I were him. Just let him take the time he needs to get ready, and come back next season 100%

Besides, Vic's absence opens up room for someone else to step up in the playoffs. Maybe Domas, maybe Warren, maybe Brogdon

A good playoff run by any of them could cement their status as an emerging star, like what happened with Jaylen Brown

And then once Vic returns to 100%, that's how the team ends up with two stars on the roster
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#20 » by Jake0890 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Hmmmmmmm...

Return to Indiana Pacers