Updates on former Wolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Re: Updates on former Wolves 

Post#1161 » by Mattya » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:11 am

Jedzz wrote:
Mattya wrote:Patton was always talented. He just couldn't get a chance because of injuries.

That's not a good enough excuse. He was drafted in 2017 draft. That's only three years ago. This team drafted him, should have held onto him and gave him the time to heal and then minutes to attempt to prove if that pick has value at some point or not.

Meanwhile this team waited for example for 6 years to get off Wiggins even Maxing him and giving him almost 16,000 minutes starting here before moving him. Where are the talent evaluators of the team to recognize when something is worth waiting for and when something should be moved on from sooner. Hopefully for Patton's sake he gets some real minutes in a shot to earn a career yet.

Good excuse for what?
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1162 » by Jedzz » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:23 am

Mattya wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Mattya wrote:Patton was always talented. He just couldn't get a chance because of injuries.

That's not a good enough excuse. He was drafted in 2017 draft. That's only three years ago. This team drafted him, should have held onto him and gave him the time to heal and then minutes to attempt to prove if that pick has value at some point or not.

Meanwhile this team waited for example for 6 years to get off Wiggins even Maxing him and giving him almost 16,000 minutes starting here before moving him. Where are the talent evaluators of the team to recognize when something is worth waiting for and when something should be moved on from sooner. Hopefully for Patton's sake he gets some real minutes in a shot to earn a career yet.

Good excuse for what?
Take your time. You can figure this one out.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#1163 » by Mattya » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:25 am

Jedzz wrote:
Mattya wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Good excuse for what?
Take your time. You can figure this one out.

How about you just tell me who I'm making excuses for since this is your claim.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#1164 » by PharmD » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:51 am

Patton has played 49 total minutes in 3 years. It's not like he's some stud that got away. Nobody has deemed him worthy of NBA minutes yet.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#1165 » by Mattya » Tue Jul 7, 2020 5:08 am

PharmD wrote:Patton has played 49 total minutes in 3 years. It's not like he's some stud that got away. Nobody has deemed him worthy of NBA minutes yet.

Most of that is injuries. He broke his foot during one of his first practices. Came back and played a partial season in the GL. Then if I remember correctly he needed another surgery on his other foot right around summer league and missed most of his second season. I don’t know much about his 3rd season but he only played another partial season in the GL there.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#1166 » by PharmD » Tue Jul 7, 2020 5:14 am

Mattya wrote:
PharmD wrote:Patton has played 49 total minutes in 3 years. It's not like he's some stud that got away. Nobody has deemed him worthy of NBA minutes yet.

Most of that is injuries. He broke his foot during one of his first practices. Came back and played a partial season in the GL. Then if I remember correctly he needed another surgery on his other foot right around summer league and missed most of his second season. I don’t know much about his 3rd season but he only played another partial season in the GL there.

Well right but of all the guys to lament getting away...i mean, anybody in the league could have picked him up for the league minimum yet he cleared waivers and sat there without a job for 5 months.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#1167 » by Mattya » Tue Jul 7, 2020 5:45 am

PharmD wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Well right but of all the guys to lament getting away...i mean, anybody in the league could have picked him up for the league minimum yet he cleared waivers and sat there without a job for 5 months.

I don’t think they should have traded him, but I agree it’s not something I’m lamenting either. All I’m saying is the guy is pretty much a rookie based on experience because he has been limited by injuries and is more probably just trying to prove he can stay on the court longer than 3 months.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1168 » by Jedzz » Tue Jul 7, 2020 11:53 pm

PharmD wrote:
Mattya wrote:

This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with other teams really. Facts are likely 100s of what could be bonafide NBA players never get a chance handed to them to play in this league every year. Even ones displaying insane skills in the Gleague are getting noses turned up at them as we see junk passed around from team to team in players that can't hack it anywhere near their contract level and they keep getting roles somewhere anyway. I don't find it terribly unusual that a player that was injured his first two seasons into the league was now barely even an afterthought in anyone's mind. But after displaying games like he did this year in the G, I find it interesting the Pistons get him to come in for a 100k closer look. I think maybe front offices of these teams are just so wrapped up in trying to make their own previous decisions succeed they may not take the time or allow the space for someone elses project player. Which is why it was a breath of fresh air to see Rosas bringing in the Denver players that were showing skills but buried there.

However, being that the Wolves had a good look at him at least from the Gleague this team of all teams should have really seen all the skills and potential to possibly beast at the next level that this player does seem to have. My thoughts are moreso during that Thibs era where they gave up on him and used him as filler in the Butler trade. How do you just walk that cheap young potential out the door?

Another issue was during his second injury I believe it happened while playing in the Gleague when he likely should have already been playing as depth on the main team by then. It maybe is possible that second injury never happens.

But you see the talent and skills are there when he's playing. It's not just one thing, it's darn near everything. What is the league's dysfunction exactly when a player like that isn't being noticed and utililzed more? I already know the Timberwolves dysfunctions well and they turned over so much of the front office of main and g team I don't expect these guys to know much of him. But I would expect at least a few teams out there to be scouting the Gleague for versitle help. Especially cheap help.

I think the team missed an opportunity to bring a talented player into the league through their team as I see it. Not that it's anything unusual. It just ended up another draft pick wasted really. Add it to the list. I don't want to rub their noses in it. I want to see the player get a chance to see what happens yet.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,186

Post#1169 » by Neeva » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:45 am

Patton was injured before the draft a smart man would have stayed far away from a player made of glass and taken a player like Collins but not Thibs.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,858

Post#1170 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:51 am

Neeva wrote:Patton was injured before the draft a smart man would have stayed far away from a player made of glass and taken a player like Collins but not Thibs.

Pretty sure his injury was after the draft.....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Mattya
RealGM

Post#1171 » by Mattya » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:15 am

Klomp wrote:
Neeva wrote:Patton was injured before the draft a smart man would have stayed far away from a player made of glass and taken a player like Collins but not Thibs.

Pretty sure his injury was after the draft.....

I don't know about any pre draft injuries, but I absolutely remember him getting hurt within the first few workouts after being drafted if not the first.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,858

Post#1172 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:31 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,292

Post#1173 » by Calinks » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:15 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Before his rookie season, Derrick Williams passed Adelman in the Minneapolis apartment complex where they both lived.

“Hi, coach!” Williams said.

Adelman looked at him, kept walking, and kept quiet. This encounter turned out to be a metaphor for what was coming.
:lol:
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1174 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:58 am

Saw Corey Brewer playing for Kings today with Bjelica. The Heat look really good actually. Butler in beard feeding everyone but himself and wow do they have shooters. Tyler Herro does everything right. Right when Buddy Hield was using threes to catch up, Jae Crowder hits a 3 and then Duncan Robinson hits some more, Iguodala beelines the net, then Herro starts stealin the ball. Brewer would have needed a 50 pt outing to save them even the the score looks close. The heat just couldn't be stopped.
PharmD
Head Coach

Post#1175 » by PharmD » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:58 pm

This just popped up on my youtube suggestions. Damn rookie Ricky was quick!
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Post#1176 » by minimus » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:25 pm

PharmD wrote:

This just popped up on my youtube suggestions. Damn rookie Ricky was quick!

He was the reason why I started to follow MIN.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1177 » by Jedzz » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:47 pm

What could have been.

Rubio, LaVine, Butler, Gibson, Towns would have been nice to see.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#1178 » by KGdaBom » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:20 pm

Jedzz wrote:What could have been.

Rubio, LaVine, Butler, Gibson, Towns would have been nice to see.

Yep. All we had to do was keep Rubio, trade Wiggins in the deal for Butler instead of LaVine and we could have drafted Markkanen with the #7 pick that we would have still had.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,717

Post#1179 » by minimus » Sat Aug 1, 2020 11:09 am

Read on Twitter
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,802

Post#1180 » by KGdaBom » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:21 pm

minimus wrote: