All these options are bad
No votes

Total votes: 30

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Re: Trevor Ariza 

Post#41 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jul 7, 2020 8:00 am

I've been thinking a bit more about Ariza and the specifics of the timing of this.

I haven't been able to find any 1st hand statements from Ariza but here's what we know:

"Portland Trail Blazers forward Trevor Ariza is opting-out of participation in the NBA’s Orlando restart of the season, committing instead to a one-month visitation window with his young son, sources tell ESPN."

And that's it. So he has a one month visitation window with his son. I haven't been able to determine how old that son. I also haven't been able to determine when that one month window is. If he's school age and in LA he is probably back at school in mid-August

JULY
07 - 09 Teams Travel to Orlando
09 - 29Team Training Camps and Scrimmages
30 Season Resumes with Seeding Games

AUGUST
15 - 16Play-In Games
17 Playoffs begin

So depending on when that visitation window is and whether the Blazers make the playoffs, isn't it possible Ariza could join us for the playoffs? It looks like it is entirely possible to join the team at a later date. With Swanigan opting out we also have a roster spot
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#42 » by d-train » Tue Jul 7, 2020 9:48 am

My understanding is that his kid is 12 years old. I can't say how good the source of that information is. I don't know how schools in LA work, but most places kids don't have school in August. School starts in September, I believe.
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#43 » by Village Idiot » Tue Jul 7, 2020 10:21 am

California schools usually begin mid August. If it is any indication LA city public schools are scheduled to begin the school year August 18th
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,825

Post#44 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Jul 7, 2020 7:21 pm

d-train wrote:My understanding is that his kid is 12 years old. I can't say how good the source of that information is. I don't know how schools in LA work, but most places kids don't have school in August. School starts in September, I believe.

You are remarkably wrong.

A significant portion of the country starts school in August and gets out in May due to weather, whether that be extremely hot and/or muggy places and areas with worries over winter storms.
Village Idiot
General Manager

Post#45 » by Village Idiot » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:54 pm

I'm bummed that Ariza didn't leave an opening to return. I get prioritizing his visitation rights but surely that must be over now. It was described as a month. We could really use him now.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#46 » by Sinobas » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:49 pm

He was surprisingly good during his stint here, but he's at an age where many players start falling off a cliff. I'd like to have him back for another year, but not at the expense of getting back someone younger. Like if we could lure Harkless or Kanter back.
d-train
RealGM

Post#47 » by d-train » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:17 pm

I notice in interviews Stotts doesn't really recognize Ariza is missing. The last Stotts interview I heard, the questioner mentioned Blazers playing without Ariza, Stotts didn't acknowledge Ariza's absence and added we are without Hood. It's not official, but Ariza is a former Blazer.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#48 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:46 pm

I'd like to bring him back and would love to have Kanter off the bench. Find a defensive/distributing PG and be done.

Lillard / ? / Hezonja
McCollum/ Trent Jr / Simon's
Hood / Ariza / Little
Collins / Melo / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

That's an exciting team, 2 deep at every position.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,519

Post#49 » by zzaj » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:09 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I'd like to bring him back and would love to have Kanter off the bench. Find a defensive/distributing PG and be done.

Lillard / ? / Hezonja
Hood / Ariza / Little
Collins / Melo / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

SF is still weak. Hood will most likely be about a 7-9/1/1 and less than 1 steal per game player on his return. If you take somebody like Wes as a model, he'll be shooting about .400 from the field and 32% from 3pt.

The Blazers shouldn't expect big impact rotation minutes from Hood next year.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:37 pm

zzaj wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:I'd like to bring him back and would love to have Kanter off the bench. Find a defensive/distributing PG and be done.

Lillard / ? / Hezonja
Hood / Ariza / Little
Collins / Melo / Gabriel
Nurkic / Kanter

SF is still weak. Hood will most likely be about a 7-9/1/1 and less than 1 steal per game player on his return. If you take somebody like Wes as a model, he'll be shooting about .400 from the field and 32% from 3pt.

The Blazers shouldn't expect big impact rotation minutes from Hood next year.

I agree. They should do whatever it takes to upgrade the roster. It's time to go all in due to Lillard's age. They need to upgrade both forward positions. If there is a way to use anyone not named Lillard or Nurkic, they should do it.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Blazer2334
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#51 » by Blazer2334 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:15 am

d-train wrote:What is wrong with people? Commitment to his son is taking care of his son while honoring all of his commitments. This is a big part of what a father is supposed to pass on to his son. Maybe, it's a fine thing for Ariza to retire from basketball because he can't honor the commitment. It's not a good thing to accept commitments than quit before the job is done.

I don't know how good a father Ariza is and I don't care. Maybe, he is worlds greatest dad. Quitting his job before his commitment is finished if not a fine example of good fathering.

Statements like these absolutely confound me. Players would have been over by the time he reported to the bubble if I’m not mistaken.

Nobody anticipated what is going on to happen. Had this been any other season, this would be a non-issue had everyone’s world been turned upside down.

To hold this against someone in these circumstances is selfish and silly.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#52 » by Sinobas » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:54 am

I can't fault him for wanting to spend time with his son. It's like if you have a vacation planned at work and your boss asks if you would mind cancelling it and going to work. No fault for refusing that, and family is more important.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#53 » by GEE » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:12 am

What makes Ariza's circumstance of missing time with his kid, any different from any other NBA player/Father that IS in the bubble?

Even if he made his choice not to play for all the right reasons, it was still a choice, and all choices carry consequences... even the right one's. Unfortunately, his will likely cost him his job.

I would be absolutely shocked if he's back next year.
d-train
RealGM

Post#54 » by d-train » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:18 am

My final word on Ariza is good riddance to bad rubbish.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:40 am

d-train wrote:I notice in interviews Stotts doesn't really recognize Ariza is missing. The last Stotts interview I heard, the questioner mentioned Blazers playing without Ariza, Stotts didn't acknowledge Ariza's absence and added we are without Hood. It's not official, but Ariza is a former Blazer.

Stotts mentioned the Blazers missing Hood AND Ariza on Courtside tonight so I dont think your arguments mean much in this case.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#56 » by d-train » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:14 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
d-train wrote:I notice in interviews Stotts doesn't really recognize Ariza is missing. The last Stotts interview I heard, the questioner mentioned Blazers playing without Ariza, Stotts didn't acknowledge Ariza's absence and added we are without Hood. It's not official, but Ariza is a former Blazer.

Stotts mentioned the Blazers missing Hood AND Ariza on Courtside tonight so I dont think your arguments mean much in this case.

It means I haven't seen court side tonight.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:53 am

I saw it. That's all I need to know.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Soulyss
General Manager
And1: 3,621

Post#58 » by Soulyss » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:40 pm

GEE wrote:What makes Ariza's circumstance of missing time with his kid, any different from any other NBA player/Father that IS in the bubble?

Even if he made his choice not to play for all the right reasons, it was still a choice, and all choices carry consequences... even the right one's. Unfortunately, his will likely cost him his job.

I would be absolutely shocked if he's back next year.

Ariza's circumstances are (as I understand it) that he's been in a contentious court battle with his ex over visitation and he finally won the right to see his kid. A quick google search shows multiple articles on this subject.

This is not your normal situation, and I think it's **** up that people are judging Ariza on his choice to prioritize his son.

I seriously doubt that his choice here will have any bearing on if the Blazers keep him next year. It will come down to Hood's health, if Portland thinks one of the kids (Little, Gabriel) are ready for real minutes, and if they need more money for a PF/C rotation piece.

That should be the final word on this thread, this is a **** conversation and I hope a mod locks it.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#59 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:00 am

Soulless wrote: That should be the final word on this thread, this is a **** conversation and I hope a mod locks it.

There may be reactions or ideas that you or I don't agree with or prefer, but I'd rather read different perspectives than my own, since I already know my own. Ideas slightly or radically different than mine help me to challenge my own assumptions. But once I've made my own decision or have a STRONG viewpoint, then I don't have to read a whole lot more other than to try to understand how others get to such a different place. Know thy enemy as you know yourself. Or don't read it at all because it annoys me.

And never try to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work, and it annoys the pig. That's what Dad says.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 308

Post#60 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:25 am

Nice article on Ariza online at ESPN. Good to read his words on his decision.

Whatever Olshey decides to do regarding Ariza and all player personnel decisions, I expect nothing less than focusing on what is best for the team on the court. My guess is he’s back both for on court contributions and with his contract in a potential package deal. He was never a player on other teams I cheered for, but he was a positive for the Blazers.

His contract guarantee date is listed as October 18.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers