ImageImageImageImageImage

Greatest game you ever saw live?

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Greatest game you ever saw live? 

Post#1 » by Don Tommy » Mon Jul 6, 2020 12:25 am

I didn’t want to disrespect the other thread I read where TrueLAFan posted about his 2 favorite games he saw live in, so how about starting a new one. For me, I know mine off the top of my head. I don’t remember much about the game itself, but what I remember was the roar of the crowd.

I had been a Clippers fan for a couple of years at this point, and it was a pretty lonely feeling. Old timers like me know that back in the day, we would buy the cheapest tickets possible, knowing there was a good chance we’d be moved down anyways. My buddies and I bought tickets for two games back to back, thinking the same thing would happen here, but little did we know that Donald Sterling would finally ignore his dreams and trade Danny Manning, bringing in... Dominique Wilkins!

Yep, I got to see the first two games that The Human Highlight Film played for us! Stuck all the way at the very top, but seeing the Sports Center full made me proud to be a Clippers fan, and I knew that our first championship was right around the corner... That was 1994
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Re: Greatest game you ever saw live? 

Post#2 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:54 pm

Game 3 of the 2012 First round against the Grizzlies was great.
Game 3 of the 2006 Second round against Phoenix was great.

I also saw Game 5 against the Spurs (a loss) and that was "objectively" great even though it sucked.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#3 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:03 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Game 3 of the 2012 First round against the Grizzlies was great.

I also saw Game 5 against the Spurs (a loss) and that was "objectively" great even though it sucked.

Game 3 in 2012 was very nerve racking- that the was one where gay missed at the buzzer after the clippers choked up on some free throws, right? I was at that game.

The 2 best games I attended were the cp3 buzzer beater Vs Memphis and Novak hitting the game winning 3 against the nets in 2009- great game- Vince Carter was unstoppable in the 4th quarter

I was also at the game in which joe johnson hit a buzzer beater with the jazz. Very disappointing- made worse that I was surrounded by a bunch of clipper haters. They weren’t jazz fans, but just clipper haters. Probably laker fans but they weren’t wearing laker gear
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#4 » by TrueLAfan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:37 pm

Kind of wanted to add something to my other game comments. The most special game I saw, in a lot of ways, was the final home game Larry Bird played against the Clippers. A bunch of us had full or partial season tickets in the late 80s and 90s, and the Sports Arena was always half full—you could just move down after a quarter or two. Even better—you could get to the game early. Some players always were on the court at an early shootaround, dribbling, stepping on floor sections, looking for soft spots or misalignments that made the ball bounce funny. During the game, they’d force opposing players to these spots and get steals or cause some sort of turnover. Bird was out there early at every other game I saw him in; I imagine he was like that in every arena. (Coop and Magic did it too.)

Anyway, Bird wasn’t out there for this game. And during the game, when he was on bench, he wasn’t “on the bench.” He was lying on the court, and a couple of players—I think Rick Fox was one of them—were pulling on his legs, trying to straighten out his completely f----- up back. I’ve had back issues, I know what they’re like. I’ve never seen a tougher dude than Larry Bird. He kinda yelled in pain once when they were pulling, but he went back in there. He was essentially a cripple that final year, and he just sucked it up and played. I’ll never forget that.

Oh, and the Celtics beat us.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Post#5 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:08 am

JJ's game-winner vs POR (2016). I also met Dense and Clipper Darrell:

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#6 » by esqtvd » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:31 pm

Shaliq wrote:JJ's game-winner vs POR (2016). I also met Dense and Clipper Darrell:

I was at that game too and also made some new friends :D

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Post#7 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:52 am

esqtvd wrote:I was at that game too and also made some new friends :D

Awesome pic, esqtvd!! 8-)
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:34 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Game 3 of the 2012 First round against the Grizzlies was great.

Game 3 in 2012 was very nerve racking- that the was one where gay missed at the buzzer after the clippers choked up on some free throws, right? I was at that game.

The 2 best games I attended were the cp3 buzzer beater Vs Memphis and Novak hitting the game winning 3 against the nets in 2009- great game- Vince Carter was unstoppable in the 4th quarter

I was also at the game in which joe johnson hit a buzzer beater with the jazz. Very disappointing- made worse that I was surrounded by a bunch of clipper haters. They weren’t jazz fans, but just clipper haters. Probably laker fans but they weren’t wearing laker gear

I assumed greatest must mean the implications were playoff level.

But if we're just talking all games we've been to? I was at this one. And I called this shot to my brother right before he hit it.
Great night.

P.S.: Yes, on Game 3 Grizzlies. I believe CP or Foye made Rudy double pump on the last shot and he still almost made it.
That game and that series meant everything to me.
Was the beginning of our move away from the doldrums completely.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers