ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176

Re: OT: TV and Movies (With Spoilers) 

Post#601 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:03 pm

Art is subjective. Sometimes, it appeals to a persons creativity and emotional connection right off the bat. Others take others longer to develop that same connection. Still, others never develop the connection.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#602 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Has anyone else been watching this (final) season? It's been really, really great.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#603 » by crkone » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:31 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Has anyone else been watching this (final) season? It's been really, really great.

It's been fun

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,715

Post#604 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:00 pm

I've been rewatching Children's Hospital on Hulu. Hot damn was that show funny.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,122

Post#605 » by DingleJerry » Wed Jul 8, 2020 9:34 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:"You have to get through the first *insert way-too-high number of episodes here* before it really picks up" = "This show isn't as great as I'm hyping it up to be".

:nod:

Meh, don't think so. It's perfectly logical to have some setup. Just like in a movie. I actually said the same thing about Breaking Bad, too much sitting in cancer treatment/hospitals and such at the beginning, he doesn't truly pop into action until several episodes in. I actually quit after season 1 and didn't come back until the hypetrain years later. I doubt too many are going to say that show isn't that great.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

Post#606 » by machu46 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 10:56 pm

DingleJerry wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:"You have to get through the first *insert way-too-high number of episodes here* before it really picks up" = "This show isn't as great as I'm hyping it up to be".

Meh, don't think so. It's perfectly logical to have some setup. Just like in a movie. I actually said the same thing about Breaking Bad, too much sitting in cancer treatment/hospitals and such at the beginning, he doesn't truly pop into action until several episodes in. I actually quit after season 1 and didn't come back until the hypetrain years later. I doubt too many are going to say that show isn't that great.

Yeah, Breaking Bad is a good example IMO. From what I've heard The Leftovers is as well. I moved on from that show within 3 or 4 episodes and my brother said it got really good after the fact.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,227

Post#607 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:10 pm

machu46 wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:

Yeah, Breaking Bad is a good example IMO. From what I've heard The Leftovers is as well. I moved on from that show within 3 or 4 episodes and my brother said it got really good after the fact.

I really enjoyed The Leftovers
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#608 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:21 pm

DingleJerry wrote:

I did the same with BB.

My dad got bored with Shawshank Redemption and quit watching right before the Elvis lookin' dude told the warden he'd vouch for Andy's innocence. He missed a lot.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#609 » by crkone » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:15 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:

I did the same with BB.

My dad got bored with Shawshank Redemption and quit watching right before the Elvis lookin' dude told the warden he'd vouch for Andy's innocence. He missed a lot.

I feel like most great shows hit their stride after the first season.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#610 » by DingleJerry » Thu Jul 9, 2020 2:49 pm

Leftovers is another example, though much more extreme. They basically rebooted the whole show. The last couple years, especially the last, were top notch stuff though
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 980

Post#611 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:34 pm

crkone wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:

I did the same with BB.

I feel like most great shows hit their stride after the first season.

Good call. I rewatched The Office a couple months ago and thought the first season was truly awful. Obviously it got better.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#612 » by DingleJerry » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:49 pm

Parks and Rec is another.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#613 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:59 pm

I think it takes a season in a lot of shows to get to know the characters. With comedies, in particular, part of the funny comes from expecting certain gags from certain characters. In a lot of ways, season 1 for a TV show is akin to Act I in a movie.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#614 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 9, 2020 4:04 pm

You can skip right to episode 7 of Cougar Town and never look back. It's even better than Scrubs.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#615 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jul 9, 2020 4:30 pm

Both Parks and Rec. and Leftovers captured my attention immediately. I never had the sense that I had to "slog" through any seasons or episodes to get to the good stuff. I'm not saying that I immediately bow out if the first episode of a show is bad (although I was tempted with Space Force), but there's too much crappy TV out there and I'm not one of those people that ever feels the need to complete a series just because I've invested previous time in it.
Ervin Johnson
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#616 » by Ervin Johnson » Thu Jul 9, 2020 6:35 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Watched the first ep of The Last Kingdom. Not sure if I will continue. Same with the first ep of Succession.

Have to keep going on Succession. Pretty much everyone who's watched will say to get through the first half of season 1 and then it takes off. Probably the best show on TV right now. It becomes very very good.

That was my problem with the show. I was watching it weekly when it started, and after four episodes I bounced off it. I didn't (and still don't) really believe people who say it's as good as it is.

But I guess I can rattle off a bunch of shows that needed a season to get going, so *shrugs*.

I started watching The Last Kingdom based on the recommendation here. I ended up quickly going through all 4 seasons. Very solid show.

I saw a recommendation for ZeroZeroZero on Amazon Prime. I hadn't heard of it before. Watched the first episode and it was pretty boring. May give it one more episode.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#617 » by HaroldinGMinor » Thu Jul 9, 2020 7:00 pm

Ervin Johnson wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
Have to keep going on Succession. Pretty much everyone who's watched will say to get through the first half of season 1 and then it takes off. Probably the best show on TV right now. It becomes very very good.

That was my problem with the show. I was watching it weekly when it started, and after four episodes I bounced off it. I didn't (and still don't) really believe people who say it's as good as it is.

But I guess I can rattle off a bunch of shows that needed a season to get going, so *shrugs*.

I started watching The Last Kingdom based on the recommendation here. I ended up quickly going through all 4 seasons. Very solid show.

I saw a recommendation for ZeroZeroZero on Amazon Prime. I hadn't heard of it before. Watched the first episode and it was pretty boring. May give it one more episode.

I'd give ZeroZeroZero at least three episodes. It's very good.
DingleJerry
RealGM

Post#618 » by DingleJerry » Thu Jul 9, 2020 9:25 pm

The TBT tournament isn't really bad basketball at all. I forget who on here always loved Joe Johnson but he still looks in great shape. I'd guess he could get buckets still but probably a liability on D in the NBA. Seems a bit slow. Who knows, in today's world though maybe some stretch 4 could work. But I'm sure the ship has sailed.

The Marquette team looked really good the other day too. They have a shot
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#619 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:35 am

Re-watching The Boys this week. Definitely not a show that needed any time to be absolutely perfect. I can't wait for season two on the 31st.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#620 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Palm Springs (Hulu) is so good.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks