ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,011

Re: 2020 NBA Draft - We have a FRP!....for now 

Post#301 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jul 7, 2020 10:40 am

Bishop45 wrote:You no like Nnaji Dom?

I do. I think he's a quality player. His defense leaves a little to be desired though.

For example, I'd take his offensive game over Oturu's, but Oturu is very active defensively, and can rim protect.

Could listen to Nnaji talk all day too. Smart kid. Well spoken.

My hunches are based on their defensive contributions. There are quite a few solid offensive bigs this draft. Many can play solid defense too. Not saying Nnaji is a bad defender, but he's a level below in some regards.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,433

Post#302 » by gom » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:51 pm

HerroBalls wrote:Before I watch tape on him, why did Immanuel Quickley only average 1.9 assists a game?

Is he not a PG? (I guess I answered my own question).

But that's super low

Quickley is one of the shooting guards on the Blue Devils. Ashton Hagans is the point guard and had almost 7 assists per game. Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Nick Richards, & Quickley had the most minutes. Only Richards is a forward, a tall junior from Jamaica. They also have EJ Montgomery from Ft Pierce.

I disagree about the opinion that Kentucky's offense is so weak. After the OT win against Louisville, Kentucky was a solid team. We don't know how good they would become because the season was aborted.

That's how it's going to be unfortunately this year. Lots of missing data.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#303 » by HeatIn5 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:58 pm

gom wrote:
HerroBalls wrote:Before I watch tape on him, why did Immanuel Quickley only average 1.9 assists a game?

Is he not a PG? (I guess I answered my own question).

But that's super low

Quickley is one of the shooting guards on the Blue Devils. Ashton Hagans is the point guard and had almost 7 assists per game. Hagans, Tyrese Maxey, Nick Richards, & Quickley had the most minutes. Only Richards is a forward, a tall junior from Jamaica. They also have EJ Montgomery from Ft Pierce.

I disagree about the opinion that Kentucky's offense is so weak. After the OT win against Louisville, Kentucky was a solid team. We don't know how good they would become because the season was aborted.

That's how it's going to be unfortunately this year. Lots of missing data.

Blue Devils? You mean Cats
Read on Twitter
gom

Post#304 » by gom » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:41 pm

yes, yes, wildcats... all apologies

Btw, another vote for Oturu here. I like him a lot, and (unlike Carey) Daniel O may be around in the second round. I'd like to see if we can buy in like last season when we snatched Okpala.

For point guards, I know Cassius Winston gets a lot of attention. He is a very high usage player, with lots of shots and assists (and sometimes gory turnover counts). You can see his log here: http://www.tankathon.com/players/cassius-winston

Here is his last game vs Ohio State, which looks like bad by the end of this video, but they are a very strong team:

I think he will be available in the second round. If he is, I think he's a better player for us to develop than one of the young point guards. He is a scoring machine and (though you can't see it on this video) his passing can tear apart defenses.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#305 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:45 am

From mediocre win percentage with a guy named Wins low, to expectations of high win percentage with a guy named Wins ton. It just makes sense. It's all in the name.

Seriously though, he is a talented player. I feel like his shooting would fit in well here. Would he play as well without the touches? Some guys can't. I watched a great video the other day on Drazen Petrovic. Portland strictly used him as a spot up shooter, and he became a bit disenchanted. He asked out, and then became a superstar with the Nets. Not saying Winston is Drazen, but would he thrive in a much reduced role?
Rafly
Starter
And1: 10,501

Post#306 » by Rafly » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:36 am

Tyrell Terry is gonna be goood man. Not sure he fits in a back court with Herro defensively but I want him.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#307 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:33 pm

Rafly wrote:Tyrell Terry is gonna be goood man. Not sure he fits in a back court with Herro defensively but I want him.

Nunn replacement?
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#308 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:16 pm

DayofMourning wrote:From mediocre win percentage with a guy named Wins low, to expectations of high win percentage with a guy named Wins ton. It just makes sense. It's all in the name.

Seriously though, he is a talented player. I feel like his shooting would fit in well here. Would he play as well without the touches? Some guys can't. I watched a great video the other day on Drazen Petrovic. Portland strictly used him as a spot up shooter, and he became a bit disenchanted. He asked out, and then became a superstar with the Nets. Not saying Winston is Drazen, but would he thrive in a much reduced role?

With the amount of talent that should be available in the first round, there's no way I draft Winston.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#309 » by DayofMourning » Wed Jul 8, 2020 5:48 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:From mediocre win percentage with a guy named Wins low, to expectations of high win percentage with a guy named Wins ton. It just makes sense. It's all in the name.

With the amount of talent that should be available in the first round, there's no way I draft Winston.

With the amount of talent available in the first round, you wouldn't buy into the 2nd round to draft him?
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,192

Post#310 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:38 am

Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#311 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:44 am

Bishop45 wrote:

Read that he can't finish near the rim, Bish. Is that true? If so, muy mal amigo!
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#312 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:51 am

Bishop45
RealGM

Post#313 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:02 am

DayofMourning wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:

Read that he can't finish near the rim, Bish. Is that true? If so, muy mal amigo!

Can't is a strong word, mans not perfect, but great value at 24

Probably one of the top guards in the draft

Rest in Power Chadwick

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#314 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:10 am

Bishop45 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:

You got the choice between Tyrell and Kira, who you taking?
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#315 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:23 am

DayofMourning wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

I like the idea of Terry more than I like the player. He has similar finishing issues imo, not great taking care of the ball , and his sz will always make him a hurdle on defense. They've both got good potential, but if I'm betting on just one: gimme Kira

Rest in Power Chadwick

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#316 » by DayofMourning » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:40 am

Bishop45 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:

I like the idea of Terry more than I like the player. He has similar finishing issues imo, not great taking care of the ball , and his sz will always make him a hurdle on defense. They've both got good potential, but if I'm betting on just one: gimme Terry

I was watching a video on Terry and his finishing near the rim stat was brought up. It was something like 61%. I feel like that's pretty solid. Dragic was finishing somewhere around 65% at his best, and that's high quality for a shorter guy. I could be pulling this number out of my rear, but I feel like Kira was somewhere in the 40% range.

I always scroll to offensive and defensive rating on the college bkref to see the disparity between the two. I was a bit surprised by Terry's numbers. He has something like a 17 point disparity between the two. His D rating is also the best out of the four prospects I just linked. Now, that can be pretty skewed by a variety of situations, but he shows well in comparison.
gom

Post#317 » by gom » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:11 am

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:

I've been suggesting buying into the second round.
Bishop45
RealGM

Post#318 » by Bishop45 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 4:49 am

DayofMourning wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

I like the idea of Terry more than I like the player. He has similar finishing issues imo, not great taking care of the ball , and his sz will always make him a hurdle on defense. They've both got good potential, but if I'm betting on just one: gimme Terry

I was watching a video on Terry and his finishing near the rim stat was brought up. It was something like 61%. I feel like that's pretty solid. Dragic was finishing somewhere around 65% at his best, and that's high quality for a shorter guy. I could be pulling this number out of my rear, but I feel like Kira was somewhere in the 40% range.

I always scroll to offensive and defensive rating on the college bkref to see the disparity between the two. I was a bit surprised by Terry's numbers. He has something like a 17 point disparity between the two. His D rating is also the best out of the four prospects I just linked. Now, that can be pretty skewed by a variety of situations, but he shows well in comparison.

I honestly didn't look at any of those numbers, both are surprising. Not sure if the defensive numbers or the latter is more surprising... maybe I misjudged him

Brb

Rest in Power Chadwick

Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,300

Post#319 » by Wiltside » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:42 am

Riley doesn't really vibe with diminutive Point Guards, rightly or wrongly. I just don't see it.

We're also not really a traditional Point Guard team, and I think Spo likes it that way. Even Dragic isn't really a pure PG, and he's the most "PG' guy we have.

I could see us looking at Jahmiu's Ramsey closely. Can play off the ball, on the ball, look to have some solid defensive instincts and a decent looking stroke. I worry about his handle though, doesn't look all that tight to me. Something that can be addressed, I guess.

I could also see us doing the unsexy pick and going for someone like Xavier Tillman. I think whoever we get has to have some off-ball ability, as Jimmy and Bam are clearly our primary options at this point and the foreseeable future.

Still like us looking at Patrick Williams or potentially someone who slides from the lotto.

By way of history, here are the last few #23 picks:

2019: Darius Bazley, OKC
2018: Aaron Holiday, Indiana
2017: OG Anunoby, Toronto
2016: Ante Zizic, Boston
2015: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Brooklyn
2014: Rodney Hood, Utah
2013: Solomon Hill, Indiana (LOL)
2012: John Jenkins, Atlanta
2011: Nikola Mirotic, Chicago
2010: Trevor Booker, Washington

Pretty hit and miss, as expected.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
dean456
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,252

Post#320 » by dean456 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 7:56 am

A big man to compliment Bam who's not a defensive liability is definitely our biggest need as a team.

Jalen Smith is the only guy I see being a good fit with Bam and worth taking with our pick he's 6'10, 7'2 wingspan, appears quite mobile for a guy with his frame. Only issues are his strength and passing out of tight situations which is something I can see us correcting/avoiding once giving him a role. He is a great rebounder and shot blocker and shows great potential as a shooter, shooting 36% from three on 2.8 3PA's per game which is more than attempts than Leonard this season.

Other guys on my short list are,
Jahmius Ramsey 6'3 SG
Immanual Quickly 6'3 PG/SG
Tyrese Maxey 6'2 PG

My ideal scenario would be to trade down and pickup Smith and Quickly if Smith is still available at 27 and Quickly somehow falls to 38 then try something like
trade 24 to New York for 27 and 38,
or
trade Boston 24 for 26 and 30.

2020-2021
Nunn/Dragic/Quickly
Butler/Herro/Quickly
Robinson/DJJr/Iggy
Bam/Crowder/Okpala
Leonard/Smith/Silva

Return to Miami Heat