ImageImageImage

Welcome Tobias Harris

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,836

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#581 » by mjkvol » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:04 pm

The more this season has gone on, the more I'm of the belief that trading Harris should be the primary focus in the off season. At his age and with the production he offers, I can't imagine that a move couldn't be made for a McCollum or Lavine without the need to give up a valuable young asset or high pick.

I think that Horford over time would accept the role of leading the second unit and starting when Jo or Ben are out. This last road trip he has begun to do some of the things we expected to see when he was signed, and doesn't seem to have deteriorated like many were believing he had. Add a scoring guard who can play on or off the ball in place of Harris, and the lineup even becomes more balanced even when Horford is starting.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,153

Post#582 » by M2J » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:56 am

mjkvol wrote:The more this season has gone on, the more I'm of the belief that trading Harris should be the primary focus in the off season. At his age and with the production he offers, I can't imagine that a move couldn't be made for a McCollum or Lavine without the need to give up a valuable young asset or high pick.

I think that Horford over time would accept the role of leading the second unit and starting when Jo or Ben are out. This last road trip he has begun to do some of the things we expected to see when he was signed, and doesn't seem to have deteriorated like many were believing he had. Add a scoring guard who can play on or off the ball in place of Harris, and the lineup even becomes more balanced even when Horford is starting.

Unlikely to get Lavine for him without an asset attached, but possibly CJ as I think he fits a need for Portland, and they definitely need to change things.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#583 » by youngcrev » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:24 pm

M2J wrote:I don't disagree that shooting is definitely necessary. But seeing as Harris has the ability to be a high level shooter. Trading for Richardson, who is a better shooter than a guy like Butler, and actually shot great off of catch and shoot opportunities last year. Horford was good from that range the past 2 years too, though that was as a center. Plus seeing how horrible they were without Joel in the floor. I can see the mindset. When you have JJ Reddick starting and not playing defense. Adding decent shooters, and have this type of defensive potential wasn't a bad idea. It hasn't played out perfectly though for a number of reasons, though I'm not sure that with some consistent health, it wouldn't play out well in the playoffs.

I think health has been the biggest issue with this season, then the all big lineup experiment. With the lineup adjustment and health, it could be saved.

Not sure I'd call Harris a high level shooter. He's a scorer that takes jump shots at above average efficiency. Won't argue this too hard though since its really just a semantics thing.

And great is an overstatement for how Richardson was in catch and shoot situations last year (catch and shoot specific numbers skew higher than overall 3 point percentages if that's what you're comparing them to).

I think these 2 are pretty good fits in a lineup with Embiid and Simmons actually, but you've got a major playmaking hole that needs to be filled out by that 5th starter. Which makes allocating your remaining cap in the form of a 4 year/109M deal to a 33 year old center pretty insane.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#584 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:12 pm

M2J wrote:
mjkvol wrote:The more this season has gone on, the more I'm of the belief that trading Harris should be the primary focus in the off season. At his age and with the production he offers, I can't imagine that a move couldn't be made for a McCollum or Lavine without the need to give up a valuable young asset or high pick.

Unlikely to get Lavine for him without an asset attached, but possibly CJ as I think he fits a need for Portland, and they definitely need to change things.

I’d add Zhaire, two 1sts, and take Porter off their hands to get Zach. He adds almost everything we need and is only 24.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 661

Post#585 » by Monix » Wed Jun 3, 2020 6:40 pm

proud to have Tobias as part of the organization - regardless of how one feels about his contract or shooting percentage or whatever this is the kind of man we should all want on the teams that we follow

his leadership on the team and investment in the community are exemplary along with his willingness to be out in front of this...

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/tobias-harris-philadelphia-76ers-racial-injustice
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#586 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:06 am

Did Tobias just went on a crazy hot streak when he was shooting 40% on 3s and was said to be the league’s best spot up shooter which his shooting declined when he played for us.

We have seen the tapes, he’s missing open shots.

The reason I ask this is I saw Ben and Tobi is 8th best in terms of pass to shoot (sorry for my term), and I thought this could be higher if Tobi was making his shot.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#587 » by youngcrev » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:11 pm

I don't remember anyone ever calling Tobias one of the best spot up shooters in the league, but maybe I'm misremembering.

He's got one season over 40% from 3, so I'd say that was an outlier, but because that was the season prior to him coming I think there was a perception that he was was a better shooter than he actually is when he came here. He shot pretty damn close to his career average from 3 this year.

He's always been kind of a poor man's Melo to me. More of a rhythm scorer than a pure shooter.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#588 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:40 pm

Definitely more of a rhythm scorer, just wish he'd go deeper into his bag more often.

He showed some craftiness on his post ups earlier this year and has the size & touch on those short turnarounds to be a tough cover with his back to the basket. It should be a go-to set to help him establish his rhythm and force defenses to adjust.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#589 » by youngcrev » Thu Jul 9, 2020 2:03 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Definitely more of a rhythm scorer, just wish he'd go deeper into his bag more often.

He showed some craftiness on his post ups earlier this year and has the size & touch on those short turnarounds to be a tough cover with his back to the basket. It should be a go-to set to help him establish his rhythm and force defenses to adjust.

Just tough with the Ben and Jo living in the paint. I think they need more outside shooting and floor spacing out of Harris and Horford than either guy is really comfortable with.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#590 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:27 pm

youngcrev wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Definitely more of a rhythm scorer, just wish he'd go deeper into his bag more often.

Just tough with the Ben and Jo living in the paint. I think they need more outside shooting and floor spacing out of Harris and Horford than either guy is really comfortable with.
That's definitely a challenge, but I think we could clear some room for one or two touches for Tobias when all three are sharing the floor just to jumpstart his offense with some high percentage looks. He'd likely make for a better spacer if we're able to help him find some early confidence.

SparksFly87
Assistant Coach
And1: 395

Post#591 » by SparksFly87 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:04 am

Tobias's offensive versatility and adaptability is his calling card here in Philly. The leadership is growing but the next step turning himself into that perimeter go to guy "bucket". He has the tools so what ever he has to do to become the best perimeter scoring version of himself with the 40 percent plus 3pter, pick and role stop and pop and ability to flat out create his own shot with high frequency while scoring 22-23 ppg plus a night is the Next phase for him. We need him to take over the scoring badly outside to compliment Embiid and Simmons inside dominance. He equipped to do it.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#592 » by 76ciology » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 pm

youngcrev wrote:I don't remember anyone ever calling Tobias one of the best spot up shooters in the league, but maybe I'm misremembering.

He's got one season over 40% from 3, so I'd say that was an outlier, but because that was the season prior to him coming I think there was a perception that he was was a better shooter than he actually is when he came here. He shot pretty damn close to his career average from 3 this year.

He's always been kind of a poor man's Melo to me. More of a rhythm scorer than a pure shooter.

I could be the one misremembering, but I know there was even a clip that shows how Tobi has elite spot up 3pt shooting this was based on his clips numbers.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#593 » by 76ciology » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:44 pm

76ciology wrote:
youngcrev wrote:I don't remember anyone ever calling Tobias one of the best spot up shooters in the league, but maybe I'm misremembering.

I could be the one misremembering, but I know there was even a clip that shows how Tobi has elite spot up 3pt shooting this was based on his clips numbers.

Don’t be surprised if the forward becomes an elite spot-up shooter on his new team. Harris has averaged 1.28 PPP (95th percentile) when spotting up. He has also scored 1.26 PPP (87th percentile) on catch-and-shoot plays.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/08/philadelphia-76ers-tobias-harris-trade-deadline-recap-analysis/
76ciology
RealGM

Post#594 » by 76ciology » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:03 am

Tobias Shooting 40% on wide open 3s on 2.2 attempts per game.

Al at 35%, Biid at 36.6% and Josh Richardson at 29.6%
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 548

Post#595 » by MVP1992 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:47 am

76ciology wrote:Tobias Shooting 40% on wide open 3s on 2.2 attempts per game.

Al at 35%, Biid at 36.6% and Josh Richardson at 29.6%

Hardly seems productive.

If I attempted 2.2 of the primary tasks I was paid to do for work per day and only achieved them 40% of the time I'd be sacked.
9-0

‘We’ll teach Donald Trump a valuable lesson: don’t mess with the women in America unless you want to get the benefit’. Joe Biden
76ciology
RealGM

Post#596 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Tobias > Giannis
#factsonly
#numbersdontlie
76ciology
RealGM

Post#597 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:04 pm

Is this guy better than DLo?
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#598 » by youngcrev » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:09 pm

76ciology wrote:Is this guy better than DLo?

Probably. Not a very high bar there
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#599 » by Sixersftw » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:11 pm

Tobias, except for last year, has always been a better player than DLo. It's just his contract is trash, DLo's skill set would be a seamless fit here where Tobi's has been clunky at times, and there is some residual infatuation on the board with Russell because of the draft.

edit: I called this man Willie Green in the preseason. I need to say some hail mary's or some ****.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM

Post#600 » by 76ciology » Tue Jan 5, 2021 2:30 pm

Sixersftw wrote:

Tobias, except for last year, has always been a better player than DLo. It's just his contract is trash, DLo's skill set would be a seamless fit here where Tobi's has been clunky at times, and there is some residual infatuation on the board with Russell because of the draft.

edit: I called this man Willie Green in the preseason. I need to say some hail mary's or some ****.

:lol:

Just fill this form up hahaha jk
Read on Twitter

Return to Philadelphia 76ers