Deni Avdija - 2020 draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Re: Deni Avdija - 2020 draft 

Post#341 » by Nazrmohamed » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:43 pm

With that said though I think when you hear Luka comparisons its pretty unfair and creates a negative backlash. The player I see in terms of nba impact down the road is Danillo Gallinari. It just so happens that I believe a player at that inpact level is worthy of picks 5-10 this yr.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,222

Post#342 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:37 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Soul Rebel wrote:For those that have watched more of Avdija, does anyone think his athleticism is reminiscent of the knocks on Klay when he came out?

Not comparing other aspects of their games, but just the athletic, "not sure if he can keep up with NBA athleticism" critiques that guys like he and Devin Booker had.

Not to mention Luka. Deni isn't an elite athlete obviously, but honestly I'm probably more worried about his lack of length than lack of athleticism.

Luka had the same knocks I called him bust. Look how good he is now. Denis athleticism is very comparable to Luka it wont be the reason he will fail in the NBA.

After seeing Deni mentioning the Bulls as his favorite team and Bulls have international guy in AK, he will absolutely become a bull at #7. Best SF prospect in the draft that fits the teams need most and foward is arguably the most imp position in the NBA. I expect a Hedo type career.

So you called Luka a bust, so Avdija is as good as him? Avdija barely played in Euroleague and we will never know how would he look now cause Euroleague was cancelled. Luka at age 18 was already best player in Euroleague... Luka comparisons are asinine.

Also, speaking about Gallinari comparisons, Gallinari was far better scorer in Milan at same age, and hes a 20 point scorer in NBA now. Avdija is more of the Bostjan Nachbar + young Turkoglu / Emir Preldzic hybrid rather than a 20 point scorer in the NBA. I will be very surprised if he ever gets over 16ppg.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#343 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 9, 2020 2:28 pm

The player I see in terms of nba impact down the road is Danillo Gallinari. It just so happens that I believe a player at that inpact level is worthy of picks 5-10 this yr.

Gallo was a better prospect than Deni, and I am quite high on Deni. I also think Deni will do more 'little things' than Gallo on the court, but in terms of pure talent its Gallo. Also, Gallo is worth a pick 5-10 in basically any draft over the past 20 years.

Avdija is more of the Bostjan Nachbar + young Turkoglu / Emir Preldzic hybrid rather than a 20 point scorer in the NBA. I will be very surprised if he ever gets over 16ppg.

I think Deni has a better motor than all those guys, albeit I havent watched Emir outside highlights. I think 14-16ppg is a good estimate for his peak years. He isnt a guy that will lead a team to wins on his back, but he is a guy that can give an already good team that incrimental improvement into the next tier. Its why I like him so much for Portland. They need a SF that can shoot the 3, handle the ball at times, doesnt pound the rock, hustles on both sides and can play immediatley. I would take him over any SF in this draft for my team, but also understand some teams are looking for higher upside guys.

I hope for a day when Deni dunks over JR Smith or KD and whispers shalom into their ear.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,181

Post#344 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 9, 2020 4:22 pm

getrichordie wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
What is the point of doing this? :banghead:

People's opinions can change and simply because they are wrong about one guy, doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong about another. I'm sure you have your fair share of bad takes in the past. But you are probably a "play it safe" kind of guy. A fence sitter.

The point is acknowledging when you were wrong on a guy if you're going to bring up that guy as a comp for his own damn brother. :lol:

The discussion did not call for acknowledgement that he was wrong on a guy. You really just seem intent on making others look as bad as you can. It's really quite pathetic. You should really do some self-analysis.

Furthermore, you are consistently disrespectful to others on this board pretty much every chance you get. You are a classic case of someone who likes to put others down to make yourself feel better. Chill.

I'm a classic case of someone trying to make sense around here, instead of the mostly nonsense people spout like Oturu being a top 10 pick or some ****.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#345 » by getrichordie » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:01 pm

EvanZ wrote:
getrichordie wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
The point is acknowledging when you were wrong on a guy if you're going to bring up that guy as a comp for his own damn brother. :lol:

The discussion did not call for acknowledgement that he was wrong on a guy. You really just seem intent on making others look as bad as you can. It's really quite pathetic. You should really do some self-analysis.

Furthermore, you are consistently disrespectful to others on this board pretty much every chance you get. You are a classic case of someone who likes to put others down to make yourself feel better. Chill.

I'm a classic case of someone trying to make sense around here, instead of the mostly nonsense people spout like Oturu being a top 10 pick or some ****.

You are a classic case of bringing up stuff that doesn't relate to the discussion at hand in an attempt to make yourself feel superior.

No one on here has said Oturu is a top 10 pick. Here's an example of you exaggerating in attempt to make someone else look bad.

In the words of Trump, "Sad!"
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#346 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:46 pm

getrichordie wrote:No one on here has said Oturu is a top 10 pick. Here's an example of you exaggerating in attempt to make someone else look bad.

Cammo has him as a top 10 pick. I don't mind if your opinions aren't good, but at least, be factually accurate. SAD!
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#347 » by getrichordie » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:58 pm

EvanZ wrote:
getrichordie wrote:No one on here has said Oturu is a top 10 pick. Here's an example of you exaggerating in attempt to make someone else look bad.

Cammo has him as a top 10 pick. I don't mind if your opinions aren't good, but at least, be factually accurate. SAD!

Lol 1 guy who hasn't been recently active on here. Okay, buddy.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#348 » by EvanZ » Thu Jul 9, 2020 6:06 pm

doordoor123 yesterday:

Oturu should be a lottery pick. He’s clearly still growing as a player and I see him more as a power forward than a center. He has super quick feet and will destroy guys in the post with his footspeed/size. He makes mistakes just because he’s still growing, but his upside is immense. I can see him as Siakam-ish. He can handle the ball and push it.

atlantabbq99 July 5:

I'm a big fan of Oturu.

I said that a comparison for Okongwu is Elton Brand

I think a comparison for Oturu is Al Horford.

I mean if you think he's Al Horford then he's like a top 3 pick in this draft. :lol:
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#349 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Jul 9, 2020 10:42 pm

Deni might be playing himself into #1 these days

Today’s game (very good first quarter)
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#350 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jul 9, 2020 10:59 pm

His feel and IQ is just really special for someone his age. Obviously not on Luka's level, thats generational. But its not common regardless. He seems to always make the right play on offense. Also, Israeli commercials are like Mexican commercials with hebrew.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#351 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 9, 2020 11:07 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Deni might be playing himself into #1 these days

Today’s game (very good first quarter)

whats with the fake crowd noise lol terrible
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#352 » by Jcool0 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:00 am

Read on Twitter
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#353 » by j_n » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:30 am

Jcool0 wrote:
Read on Twitter
I think it's much better than silence

Sent from my Redmi 4X using RealGM mobile app
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#354 » by SwipeDaFox » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:50 am

I thought he was pretty off in his attitude most of the game, especially defensively. I think his coach got on him during the game aswell and a few times even yanked him out of the game cause he was careless with the ball and wasn't giving maximum effort on D.

I didn't like that about him this game - but even with that in mind, he won the game and dominated it thoroughly in the first half, which was really impressive as Jerusalem are the 2nd best team in Israel and the direct opponents of Maccabi for the title.

At times it seems like it's effortless to him.

What I will say is what will separate him from being good or being great - is working on his ball handling skills and craftiness with the ball. He has to develop more advanced moves with his dribble to unlock his full potential - right now his offensive arsenal and foundation is there to see - but it needs to be his no.1 focus in my opinion in order to really take the next step in his progression as a player.

Right now with the ball he is pretty predictable - that will not cut it in the next level if he wants to be a bigger focal point of an offense.

But like I said this kid is an extremely hard worker, and an intelligent person in general - With the proper coaching it should definitely come with time.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#355 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:05 pm

SwipeDaFox wrote:That’s just incorrect.

He is a decent role player on a top 5 Euroleague team and a perennial Israeli league champion.

Maccabi winning the Israeli League or not is completely irrelevant. The second best team in that league probably couldn't win more than a handful of games in a EuroLeague season. The league's second best team is Hapoel Jerusalem, and if you look at their roster, they would be the worst team in EuroLeague, by a country mile and then some.

None of these Israeli League games actually mean anything in my view. Avdija is playing in nothing but trash time, in every single game, the whole time he is on the floor.

As for the EuroLeague.......he was a decent role player. But I'm not sure about Maccabi being a top 5 EuroLeague team though. Before the shutdown, Barca, Real Madrid, CSKA, and Efes were better teams.

But then also, regardless of record at the time - Fener also had a clearly more talented roster, while teams like Khimki, Panathinaikos, and Baskonia had fairly similar strength rosters, if not even better ones. Top 5 EuroLeague team is highly debatable. More like top 6-8 range. I doubt Maccabi would have done jack in the playoffs.

Fischella wrote:Avdija is a top player in Israel's first division

Which, if you know anything about European basketball, isn't saying much. Israeli Super League is like the 13th best league in Europe.
SwipeDaFox
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#356 » by SwipeDaFox » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:22 pm

You're pretty much running circles around your own words.

So a top 6 Euroleague team. That's nothing? Cause it's clearly not how you worded your argument in the other post.

I can guarantee you every single one of the teams he faced against this year is much stronger than any NCAA team out there by a very large margin.

The players he is valued and compared to played tougher competition that I'm not aware of? What are you on about?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,569

Post#357 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:35 am

Stillwater wrote:whats with the fake crowd noise lol terrible

Have you heard of coronavirus?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,552

Post#358 » by MemphisX » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:59 am

Looks so much better now.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#359 » by getrichordie » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:08 am

MemphisX wrote:Looks so much better now.

Yeah. Turns out that young players can improve.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#360 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:17 pm

Klomp wrote:
Stillwater wrote:whats with the fake crowd noise lol terrible

Have you heard of coronavirus?

Pathetic that these bums need fake fan motivation. They shouldn't even be playing regarding COVID-19.
Avdija really looks like a meh prospect at this point seeing how hes putting up average at best numbers in a weak league and did very little to earn more ops before EL shut it down.
I like his bbiq and point forward upside heck maybe if that slow ass release gets fixed he can get shots to fall.
I wouldn't touch this kid until the 8-9 range and thats with the most optimism humanly possible.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to NBA Draft