HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 

Post#501 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

I had to triple fact check this... What the actual ****

It's hard to put together the words that could justifiable make fun of this.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#502 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:37 pm

On the redraftables it was bizarre finding out Thaddeus has 2nd most points in 2007 draft
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#503 » by trex_8063 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:34 pm

Happy Father's Day all you fellow papas.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,263

Post#504 » by trex_8063 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:58 pm

Not sure if I've mentioned it here before, but another one of my pastime passions is cinema. Very interested in cinema history, and absolutely adore old movies of all kinds.
I bring it up because the most recent old movie I watched happened to be Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), directed by *Robert Wise. Amidst the BLM movement, it felt so timely, despite having been made over 60 years ago. Aesthetically it's slightly like a film noir style, and centers around an impending bank heist; but in a more broad sense it's largely about racism and prejudice, with a very overt message/moral in the metaphorical ending.

Extraordinarily proactive film for the time-period, and even a bit proactive in the cast/crew and billing: Harry Belafonte (black) is given equal billing with co-star Robert Ryan (white, and the more established/famous actor) in the opening titles [with Belafonte's name coming on screen first], John Lewis (black jazz pianist) does the musical score, etc.

*Robert Wise is one of my all-time favorite directors, whose career in the director's chair spans something like five decades. Just a brilliant story-teller who was uniquely versatile: he directed everything from some of the best and most well-known [classics] sci-fi pictures of "*the day" (*as nearly three decades separate them, "the day" is different for each), such as The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979).......to some of the most beloved musicals of the 60s, such as West Side Story (1961) and The Sound of Music (1965).........to other tense sci-fi/thrillers like The Andromeda Strain (1971).......to historical fictions like The Sand Pebbles (1966) and The Hindenburg (1975).

And now I've also seen from him relevant [still!] sociopolitical dramas like Odds Against Tomorrow. Amazing film maker.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#505 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:25 am

I remember Fury (1936) being very good and I would be interested in rewatching it with the cancellation culture mob going on right now
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,421

Post#506 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

I had to triple fact check this... What the actual ****

It's amazing that human beings can convince themselves to be this backward. Animals aren't capable of being this stupid.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#507 » by Goudelock » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:04 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:It's amazing that human beings can convince themselves to be this backward. Animals aren't capable of being this stupid.

You've obviously never met my puppy.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#508 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:38 pm

trex_8063 wrote:Not sure if I've mentioned it here before, but another one of my pastime passions is cinema. Very interested in cinema history, and absolutely adore old movies of all kinds.
I bring it up because the most recent old movie I watched happened to be Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), directed by *Robert Wise. Amidst the BLM movement, it felt so timely, despite having been made over 60 years ago. Aesthetically it's slightly like a film noir style, and centers around an impending bank heist; but in a more broad sense it's largely about racism and prejudice, with a very overt message/moral in the metaphorical ending.

Extraordinarily proactive film for the time-period, and even a bit proactive in the cast/crew and billing: Harry Belafonte (black) is given equal billing with co-star Robert Ryan (white, and the more established/famous actor) in the opening titles [with Belafonte's name coming on screen first], John Lewis (black jazz pianist) does the musical score, etc.

*Robert Wise is one of my all-time favorite directors, whose career in the director's chair spans something like five decades. Just a brilliant story-teller who was uniquely versatile: he directed everything from some of the best and most well-known [classics] sci-fi pictures of "*the day" (*as nearly three decades separate them, "the day" is different for each), such as The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979).......to some of the most beloved musicals of the 60s, such as West Side Story (1961) and The Sound of Music (1965).........to other tense sci-fi/thrillers like The Andromeda Strain (1971).......to historical fictions like The Sand Pebbles (1966) and The Hindenburg (1975).

And now I've also seen from him relevant [still!] sociopolitical dramas like Odds Against Tomorrow. Amazing film maker.

FYI if you have access to HBO max, they have a "classics curated by TCM" section with a huge selection of movies.

To see if you have access: https://www.hbomax.com/do-i-already-have-access
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,668

Post#509 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Finally watched Uncut Gems. Man what a pile of meh that was. And KG was fine, but I didn't think he or Sandler gave particularly inspiring performances.

If you want to watch a quality Sandler movie that goes against type, watch Punchdrunk Love.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,232

Post#510 » by ardee » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:33 pm

TIL Daryl Morey literally invented TS% as a stat.

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#511 » by bondom34 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 2:23 am

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#512 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:48 am

I Hate Ice.
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Bidofo
Pro Prospect
And1: 938

Post#513 » by Bidofo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:14 am

My goodness what a tool Stephen Jackson is. He's doubled down.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#514 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:53 pm

Bidofo wrote:My goodness what a tool Stephen Jackson is. He's doubled down.

Is he still on The Jump? I sadly don't expect Nichols and co to call him out.

Edit: thanks for proving me wrong, Rachel. Pablo Torre also spoke out as well as a few others. Still disappointed in the overall response on the player side.

Read on Twitter

Around the horn had a good discussion too:

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis
General Manager
And1: 4,856

Post#515 » by MyUniBroDavis » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:09 pm

This might be a crappy thing to say, but its pretty annoying us international students got crapped on for quarentining and wearing masks and now we r about to get deported to "save america" when we are the ones who took it seriously like every other damn country and didnt go "haha u only live once" and think that masks are a damn political statement
iggymcfrack wrote: I have Bird #19 and Kobe #20 on my all-time list and both guys will probably get passed by Jokic by the end of this season.

^^^^ posted January 8 2023 :banghead: :banghead:
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#516 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:03 pm

Incredibly disappointed in Stephen Jackson.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#517 » by limbo » Wed Jul 8, 2020 9:19 pm

I respect Stephen Jackson for at least standing his ground and having the balls to double down on how he really feels. I was about to say 'thinks' instead of 'feels', but the difference between the two words is crucial in helping us understand the crux of the problem, which ties into how society has been exponentially pushing people to act on their feelings/emotions by tapping into their primal instincts and various -isms (primarily with motivations of gaining political power/control), instead of encouraging the use of the main thing that separates us from the rest of the species on this planet; that is our brain's ability to reason.

While striving for an idealistic utopia has certainly got us to the point we are now as human beings, that does not mean how we think the World 'should be' in an ideal scenario (everybody playing on the same team) is really the way it 'is', or ever will be, for that matter. Human beings have always formed tribes in our past, based on sharing the same traits. Thus, it's natural for someone to defend their tribe, no matter how hypocritical/irrational their actions come off. Like, thinking logically about this probably wasn't even conducive to survival in the past... There was no survivalist benefits from trying to figure out if your actions against a certain group of people are morally justified or not... you just did what you had to for your own tribe to flourish, or invite risk of being usurped.

Anyway, thinking these tribalistic instincts that were foundational for who knows how many years of our evolution will just disappear if we chant a slogan enough times is absurd. Those in power's idea to remedy this is by simply silencing, canceling, instilling fear, thought controlling etc... Which is why most people just avoid any potential risk by parroting whatever they have to just to be left alone, but deep down inside, you and i both know most people have their own agenda.

I think more people should be doing what Stephen Jackson did. Say what you truly believe, and then we use said information to have a discussion about these topics and educate/find common ground.

This is the exact opposite of what is actually happening right now in the World. People don't speak their true thoughts because of potential risk/backlash, and those in politics and media use this very notion to their advantage to brainswash people into turning against each other which gives them opportunity to control and push forward fabricated agendas.

Honestly, i can't take most people's statements seriously anymore because most are literally scared programmed NPC's whom critical thought doesn't extend past ''ORANGE MAN BAD'', ''POLICEMAN EVIL''...
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#518 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jul 8, 2020 9:32 pm

limbo wrote:I respect Stephen Jackson for at least standing his ground and having the balls to double down on how he really feels. I was about to say 'thinks' instead of 'feels', but the difference between the two words is crucial in helping us understand the crux of the problem, which ties into how society has been exponentially pushing people to act on their feelings/emotions by tapping into their primal instincts and various -isms (primarily with motivations of gaining political power/control), instead of encouraging the use of the main thing that separates us from the rest of the species on this planet; that is our brain's ability to reason.

While striving for an idealistic utopia has certainly got us to the point we are now as human beings, that does not mean how we think the World 'should be' in an ideal scenario (everybody playing on the same team) is really the way it 'is', or ever will be, for that matter. Human beings have always formed tribes in our past, based on sharing the same traits. Thus, it's natural for someone to defend their tribe, no matter how hypocritical/irrational their actions come off. Like, thinking logically about this probably wasn't even conducive to survival in the past... There was no survivalist benefits from trying to figure out if your actions against a certain group of people are morally justified or not... you just did what you had to for your own tribe to flourish, or invite risk of being usurped.

Anyway, thinking these tribalistic instincts that were foundational for who knows how many years of our evolution will just disappear if we chant a slogan enough times is absurd. Those in power's idea to remedy this is by simply silencing, canceling, instilling fear, thought controlling etc... Which is why most people just avoid any potential risk by parroting whatever they have to just to be left alone, but deep down inside, you and i both know most people have their own agenda.

I think more people should be doing what Stephen Jackson did. Say what you truly believe, and then we use said information to have a discussion about these topics and educate/find common ground.

This is the exact opposite of what is actually happening right now in the World. People don't speak their true thoughts because of potential risk/backlash, and those in politics and media use this very notion to their advantage to brainswash people into turning against each other which gives them opportunity to control and push forward fabricated agendas.

Honestly, i can't take most people's statements seriously anymore because most are literally scared programmed NPC's whom critical thought doesn't extend past ''ORANGE MAN BAD'', ''POLICEMAN EVIL''...

I agree with the sentiment as a whole, but comments like Jackson and DeSean's should be among the few things we should cancel someone for in my opinion. You can't go around posting quotes that start with "Hitler said" or "Hitler was right" in it. One of the problems with everyone getting called racist (even for things like not having a diverse enoughs staff) is that when real racists like DeSean and Jackson come along it risks people being desensitized to it. It can't be understated just how racist DeSean's post was. Imagine if Brees posted a N word laden quote from Robert E Lee about how slavery should exist and whites should rule the earth. He would not only be cut within hours and never play football again but his name would be utterly toxic to even mention from that point forward. That's the equivalent of what DeSean posted about jewish people. I am fully in support of free speech but there's a limit when it comes to extreme hate speech.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#519 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:16 pm

Why is Robert E Lee suddenly the poster boy for being a racist? (Just earlier today read another similar post putting up Lee as the poster boy for racism too.) The VIrginia founding fathers like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson had slaves aqnd most of the Confederate leadership were strongly, even violently pro-slavery. Lee actually freed most of his family's slaves and wrote that slavery was wrong. Yes, he was a Confederate but Lee was a principled man who was more enlightened than his peers, not less. Why not use someone like Nathan Bedford Forrest?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#520 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:17 am

penbeast0 wrote:Why is Robert E Lee suddenly the poster boy for being a racist? (Just earlier today read another similar post putting up Lee as the poster boy for racism too.) The VIrginia founding fathers like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson had slaves aqnd most of the Confederate leadership were strongly, even violently pro-slavery. Lee actually freed most of his family's slaves and wrote that slavery was wrong. Yes, he was a Confederate but Lee was a principled man who was more enlightened than his peers, not less. Why not use someone like Nathan Bedford Forrest?

Because people know who Robert E Lee is - and of course because he fought for the Confederacy.

Return to Player Comparisons