Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
tsvqt
Veteran
And1: 22

Re: Beal sitting out due to a "shoulder" injury 

Post#3 » by tsvqt » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:40 pm

The likely hood of the Wizards making the playoffs was already grim B4 this decision, but LAWD I pray we make it even moreso now!! No Bertans, No Beal, No Chance........
Retired Air Force
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#4 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:19 pm

tsvqt wrote:The likely hood of the Wizards making the playoffs was already grim B4 this decision, but LAWD I pray we make it even moreso now!! No Bertans, No Beal, No Chance........

I don't want to give up a top-10 pick just to make the playoffs in a pandemic, so we can get our ass kicked by Milwaukee. I think the Wiz front office feel the same way with the fact that the Nets might be putting out a G-League team if Dinwiddie doesn't play. So this ends up basically like a Summer League feel and the FO will have eight games to take a look at guys on the bubble.

My guess is that Tommy wasn't unhappy that Beal pulled out.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#5 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:30 pm

More pingpong balls. Hope his "injury" isn't too bad. Does this make Bryant the team's primary scorer? If I played fantasy basketball, I'd play him on my team.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#6 » by DCZards » Tue Jul 7, 2020 7:24 pm

The three guys who I'd expect to benefit the most (get more shots) from the absence of Beal and Davis are Troy B., Robinson and Mathews. It will be interesting to see which one(s) step up.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#7 » by WallToWall » Tue Jul 7, 2020 7:45 pm

Hope Beal is fine.
More development time for others and more ping pong balls.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#8 » by doclinkin » Tue Jul 7, 2020 7:52 pm

doclinkin wrote:
DCZards wrote:The three guys who I'd expect to benefit the most (get more shots) from the absence of Beal and Davis are Troy B., Robinson and Mathews. It will be interesting to see which one(s) step up.

Personally I think it will the Shabazz Napier show.
[/quote]

Yup yup.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#9 » by DCZards » Tue Jul 7, 2020 8:00 pm

Doc, I agree that it will be Napier’s show and that he’ll be the lead dog on offense. But I don’t think Shabazz has anything to prove. Brown, Robinson and Mathews do.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#10 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 7, 2020 11:11 pm

Both really good points, guys.

I hope we re-sign Shabazz Napier. IOW, I hope his audition is for our team -- but we'll see. They may prefer to bring Jerian Grant in next year at a vet minimum salary.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#11 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:40 am

More minutes for Matthews I wanna see who else we sign

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:05 pm

payitforward wrote:Both really good points, guys.

I hope we re-sign Shabazz Napier. IOW, I hope his audition is for our team -- but we'll see. They may prefer to bring Jerian Grant in next year at a vet minimum salary.

Don't ask me how, but Orlando supposedly retains Grant's Bird rights - from what I heard. It'd take somebody smarter than me to understand how that's possible.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#13 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:41 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:06 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

That stings. I think you need 2 negative tests to be eligible to come back. Hopefully that happens soon for them.

Edit: I just realized what a jerk I was there. Hopefully both Bryant and Glove, Jr are in good health and recover completely. That's a lot more important than them playing in any of the 8 games.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#15 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Who is left on the Nets roster now? I'm not even sure if this will be enough for the Wizards to avoid the playoffs.
Bucket! Bucket!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:56 pm

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,064

Post#17 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:13 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:Who is left on the Nets roster now? I'm not even sure if this will be enough for the Wizards to avoid the playoffs.

The Wizards are 6 games behind the Nets. Even if the Nets go 0-8, the chance of the Wizards winning 6 out of 8 games, without Beal and Bertans, against playoff-caliber competition, is zero.
wall_glizzy
Junior
And1: 199

Post#18 » by wall_glizzy » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 pm

nate33 wrote:The Wizards are 6 games behind the Nets. Even if the Nets go 0-8, the chance of the Wizards winning 6 out of 8 games, without Beal and Bertans, against playoff-caliber competition, is zero.

We'd only have to win two games in that scenario though, which (by placing us <= 4 games behind the 8 seed) would trigger the play-in, where beating the Nets twice in a row lands us in eighth. I still don't think it's likely, however.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,584

Post#19 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:05 pm

So, no Beal, no Bertrans, no Bryant . . . it's Summer League!
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#20 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:06 pm

wall_glizzy wrote:
nate33 wrote:The Wizards are 6 games behind the Nets. Even if the Nets go 0-8, the chance of the Wizards winning 6 out of 8 games, without Beal and Bertans, against playoff-caliber competition, is zero.

We'd only have to win two games in that scenario though, which (by placing us <= 4 games behind the 8 seed) would trigger the play-in, where beating the Nets twice in a row lands us in eighth. I still don't think it's likely, however.

Yup, the odds seem slimmer especially with Beal/Bertans/Bryant out- but yeah it is possible that the Nets could go 0-8 especially with the roster that they are putting out there. The Nets are also motivated to tank since their pick is lottery protected and their pick next season is slated to be significantly worse when Durant/Irving return to the lineup.

The Wizards are also 3-3 without without the Bs in the lineup with wins against the Heat, Nuggets, and Celtics- with losses to the Knicks, Blazers, and Magic. While this doesn't conclude the Wizards are a .500 team as constructed, the Wizards at least are going in knowing they can without Beal, Bertans, and Bryant.

That being said, the stakes are higher and teams should try harder in this condensed format but it also be more random with unusual circumstances especially in a 8 game sample size.

Does it still make sense for the Wizards to miss the playoffs? Probably especially with the reformed lottery odds that increase the Wizards chances of getting a top 4 pick.

Return to Washington Wizards