ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors name change

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Warriors name change 

Post#1 » by Commodor » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:39 am

Carmelo called on 6 teams to change their names, dubs included. I know the historic mascots definitely leaned to the Native American aspect, but it would seem the last half century has been electric men with fake muscles or bridges. I think being in the bay, ownership would go the cautious route and probably change it if there’s any serious calls for it. “Warriors” by itself is fairly generic so will be interesting to see who, if any speaks up next.

Question 1: will there be more calls for a change?

Question 2: what are potential alternatives?

My alternative: golden state donner party :wink:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/258736/Carmelo-Anthony-Calls-On-Warriors-Five-Other-Pro-Franchises-To-Eliminate-Native-American-Mascots
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Warriors name change 

Post#2 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:05 am

It's not native american. It's a french word for one who makes war.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,375

Post#3 » by svart » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:00 am

As i said on the general board, this is extremely dumb. If the dubs had a native american as a logo 50 years ago does not make the term "Warrior" offensive.
I am curios if in the future i will need to change my nickname, as "svart" means "black". **** idiots everywhere.....
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#4 » by Little Digger » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:55 pm

San Francisco Ferries

Seems fitting to me..I ride them all the time.
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#5 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:50 pm

If Native Americans object to the name, I’d be okay with a change.

All those other teams definitely need to change, especially Snyder’s team.

Last thing you want is to be like Snyder.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#6 » by donkeylips » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:09 pm

i never associated the nickname warriors with native americans but if native Americans are offended i dont mind the change. Though the redskins might change their name to Warriors. I suggest changing the warriors name to Golden State Showers
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#7 » by Money_ » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:09 pm

My alma mater was the Warriors and changed their name during the 90s to the Golden Eagles. They were using a Native American mascot when I was there and the tribes of Wisconsin protested. I think the mascot was the deciding factor, as Warriors is generic and doesn't necessarily refer to Native Americans. Have the GSWarriors ever even used a Native American mascot? post Philly?

the Golden State Golden Gates... :lol:
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:58 pm

The Redskins is one thing, it's CLEARLY a racial slur. But are we going to rename anything anyone is offended by? Some ex gold miners don't like the injustices of the industry and don't like the offensive name 49ers. Black people don't like the history of the US and what the founders did so we can't use Patriot anymore. The Steel industry used up and spit out employees, no more Steelers. Practitioners of the Wiccan faith are offended by the fantasy version of their art, no more Wizards. Joe Exotic is a terrible person, no more Tigers.

Warriors comes from french and it's not a slur, nor is it specific to Native Americans.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,560

Post#9 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:20 pm

I had never really thought about 'Warriors' in this way; at a minimum it is far more subtle and nuanced than, say, Redskins. I wouldn't be *horribly* opposed to changing the name, particularly if Native Americans on the whole *do* think about the name in that way. If it comes to that, I wonder if they'd have the nerve to use that as impetus to also change "Golden State" to "San Francisco" (which I'd prefer they did not).

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
wco81
RealGM

Post#10 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Bears?

Official animal of the state is Grizzly Bear?

Official bird is quail.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Post#11 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:42 pm

I care about this about as much as I care about a dog turd on the sidewalk
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#12 » by Flash Falcon X » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:09 pm

Warriors isn't a slur.

The franchise originated with a Native American theme, but that's long gone now. Kids nowadays didn't even know about the Native American and Philly roots.

The term "Warrior" nowadays refers to playing tough and physical. You see it in articles all the time: Kobe was a warrior. Patrick Beverly is a warrior on the defensive end.

GSW branding now is all about their location, not Native Americans (e.g. bridges on logos, oak trees on Oakland jerseys, silhouette of California to represent the "Golden State," etc.)

Also, plenty of Native Americans don't feel offended by most of these names except for Redskins. Their main point is that they want their people to be remembered, and having a sports team named after them is an honor as long as it's not a slur. Again, "Warrior" is in no way a slur especially since they don't even brand themselves as a Native American themed team in the modern world in the first place.

And please don't use this as an excuse to get a more "intimidating" name. Intimidating names are for little kids. You got teams named after lakes (Lakers,) people who pack cans (Packers,) pants (Knicks,) heels in tar (Tarheels,) colored socks (Red Sox,) and no one feels like they need a name change. Warriors are one of the earliest NBA teams, keep the classic name.
#DubNation
Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,020

Post#13 » by Frozzy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 pm

San Francisco Lightyears
wco81
RealGM

Post#14 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:33 pm

Just call them Dubs, though that name is more associated with bandwagon fans who joined when the Warriors rose to among the elite in the league.

Or the Ws.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#15 » by azwfan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:56 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:Warriors isn't a slur.

The franchise originated with a Native American theme, but that's long gone now. Kids nowadays didn't even know about the Native American and Philly roots.

The term "Warrior" nowadays refers to playing tough and physical. You see it in articles all the time: Kobe was a warrior. Patrick Beverly is a warrior on the defensive end.

GSW branding now is all about their location, not Native Americans (e.g. bridges on logos, oak trees on Oakland jerseys, silhouette of California to represent the "Golden State," etc.)

Also, plenty of Native Americans don't feel offended by most of these names except for Redskins. Their main point is that they want their people to be remembered, and having a sports team named after them is an honor as long as it's not a slur. Again, "Warrior" is in no way a slur especially since they don't even brand themselves as a Native American themed team in the modern world in the first place.

And please don't use this as an excuse to get a more "intimidating" name. Intimidating names are for little kids. You got teams named after lakes (Lakers,) people who pack cans (Packers,) pants (Knicks,) heels in tar (Tarheels,) colored socks (Red Sox,) and no one feels like they need a name change. Warriors are one of the earliest NBA teams, keep the classic name.

Native here (well half, haha) so I'll take it upon myself to speak for all Natives (until another tells me to stfu).
The Washington football team name is offensive to me.
Indians, Braves, Seminoles, Chiefs, and others aren't as offensive to me, but should be changed.

Once again... Washington Football club - that should've been changed a long time ago. The others should be changed also, but would rather concentrate on the worst offender.

"Warriors" isn't even on my radar as a Native reference.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#16 » by Commodor » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:12 am

wco81 wrote:Bears?

Official animal of the state is Grizzly Bear?

Official bird is quail.

I’m definitely down for quails
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:20 am

azwfan wrote:Native here (well half, haha) so I'll take it upon myself to speak for all Natives (until another tells me to stfu).
Indians, Braves, Seminoles, Chiefs, and others aren't as offensive to me, but should be changed.

Once again... Washington Football club - that should've been changed a long time ago. The others should be changed also, but would rather concentrate on the worst offender.

I think the Seminole tribe endorses the use of the name.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,560

Post#18 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:38 am

azwfan wrote:
Flash Falcon X wrote:Warriors isn't a slur.

Native here (well half, haha) so I'll take it upon myself to speak for all Natives (until another tells me to stfu).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I checked in with a friend of indigenous background to get his thoughts, and they were pretty close to yours. Not that he speaks for everyone either, but his thoughts were:
- Redskins is right out.
- Blackhawks is kinda weird; they are named after a particular individual. I had foolishly, mistakenly always assumed this was a reference to a tribe, but he taught me it is named after a particular Chief Blackhawk. His conclusion was that the imagery/logo is problematic. In the absence of that the name would be weird, but probably not a huge problem.
- We didn't talk about the Indians. *I* personally think their character is horrific, and forces the issue.
- The Braves could be generic, or even respectful. However, by the time you have fans doing "the chop", wearing Party City headdresses, etc., you clearly are tying it to disrespectful stereotypes, and it becomes a problem.
- We talked about the Chiefs a bit. The bit I got from him was that they are leaning towards the benign side of things. If they were just called the Chiefs with the arrow logo, it might be fine, but as soon as there are fans embracing native american stereotypes, you have a problem.
- Warriors got rid of any sort of problematic imagery long ago. In the absence of that, or fans trying to tie it back to any sort of native american origin (which I've *never* seen), the name is really quite generic and benign.

He said if anything, he took a bit of joy in hearing "the Warriors beat the Cavaliers" heh

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#19 » by azwfan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:29 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
azwfan wrote:Native here (well half, haha) so I'll take it upon myself to speak for all Natives (until another tells me to stfu).

I think the Seminole tribe endorses the use of the name.

I think my main issue with Seminoles is the chop and chanting. Braves do the same. I think the Cheifs do too.

All of them are weird. To have a team mascots named after conquered peoples. I mean it isnt enough to rape, murder, and steal... but then name sports teams after them with these ridiculous logos and make money off of it also.

The Washington team is the only one that actually makes me angry though (but to be truthful only when Im thinking on that topic, I dont get mad when i just see the boxscore). If i was closer to that part of my heritage - (like if I grew up on Oklahoma instead of San Jose) i can see how I’d see some of these differently though - with more or less passion. I mean, on one hand i may be more offended, and on the other - there are more pressing needs in the community.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#20 » by Quazza » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:00 am

nah

we good
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment

Return to Golden State Warriors