Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Re: TPE Trade Target Watch 

Post#201 » by xdrta+ » Thu Jul 2, 2020 10:17 pm

DAWill1128 wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
DAWill1128 wrote:I also saw a scenario where the Warriors do a sign and trade and use the TPE and send back a pick for a free agent. This way they can go above the MLE and the other team doesn’t lose a player for nothing. Is that possible? I can’t think of trade where that has happened.

The trade exception can be used to absorb salary in a sign-and-trade, so yes, that would be possible.

Well if that’s the case does it make sense to try and pry Harrell away from the Clippers? That could be huge. Williams is getting older and Harrell is a top player for them. That could shift some of the power towards us. Although I also think if Harrell signs a big long term deal that will greatly hinder the Clippers ability to improve. Williams taking a discount and Harrells current deal are a big reason the Clippers have a strong roster.

Or maybe we can corner the Raptors. The Raptors will have Ibaka and Gasol up for free agency, if we negotiate we could potentially force them to cough up one or the other.

The Suns with the TPE and Baynes also makes sense since they don’t have reason to spend beyond the MLE for Baynes when they have Ayton.

All those results sound enticing, the problem is a S&T hardcaps them. The line this season was about $138M--if the cap drops by even as little as 10%, the line will be below $130M. Either way, the Warriors can't get under it with the payroll they have now. They'd have to get rid of salaries themselves.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#202 » by wco81 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:30 pm

Justice Winslow for their 2021 1st round pick?

The question is: What else would the Grizzlies require in exchange?

The Warriors have three first-round picks over the next two drafts (their own in 2020 and 2021 and Minnesota’s top-three protected pick in 2021). Regardless of where it falls after August 25’s draft lottery, parting with this year’s top-five pick is probably too much to pay. Ditto for next year’s pick from Minnesota.

But with two highly-drafted rookies likely being added within the next calendar year, the Warriors may not want to add a third. They have a surplus of first-round picks. It would make sense to offer Memphis their own 2021 pick, protected for picks 1 to 14.

If the rebuilding Grizzlies determine that Winslow is not an ideal fit next to Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr., they could look to trade him, acquire a first-round pick and create a $13 million trade exception that they could then use to absorb another team’s unwanted salary and further add to their stockpile of draft picks.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/07/09/why-the-warriors-should-target-justise-winslow-with-the-tpe-this-offseason/
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#203 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:24 pm

wco81 wrote:Justice Winslow for their 2021 1st round pick?

The question is: What else would the Grizzlies require in exchange?

The Warriors have three first-round picks over the next two drafts (their own in 2020 and 2021 and Minnesota’s top-three protected pick in 2021). Regardless of where it falls after August 25’s draft lottery, parting with this year’s top-five pick is probably too much to pay. Ditto for next year’s pick from Minnesota.

But with two highly-drafted rookies likely being added within the next calendar year, the Warriors may not want to add a third. They have a surplus of first-round picks. It would make sense to offer Memphis their own 2021 pick, protected for picks 1 to 14.

If the rebuilding Grizzlies determine that Winslow is not an ideal fit next to Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr., they could look to trade him, acquire a first-round pick and create a $13 million trade exception that they could then use to absorb another team’s unwanted salary and further add to their stockpile of draft picks.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/07/09/why-the-warriors-should-target-justise-winslow-with-the-tpe-this-offseason/

Prior to Winslows trade to Memphis he was a guy I really wanted with the TPE. His defensive rating for a perimeter player especially at small forward is really high, he is definitely one of the better defenders in the NBA when healthy. He also looks pretty decent playing point guard, he's a good passer and can manage bringing the ball up the court. Winslow is also good on the fast break and is a solid rebounder for his size. His game is really similar to Igoudola in terms of what he can and can't do.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#204 » by TB » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:00 pm

Andre selling his bay area home. Guessing that means there isn't a hand shake agreement to use the TPE on him.

Unless of course he's just flipping this house for something else in the bay.
wco81
RealGM

Post#205 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:14 pm

There's an article about Ricky Rubio being a TPE target.
TB
General Manager

Post#206 » by TB » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:07 pm

wco81 wrote:There's an article about Ricky Rubio being a TPE target.

Similar to what i mentioned in the free agent thread, I really think we need to use the TPE/MLE/1st Pick on wings and a center.

However, if the right players don't fall into those spots, Rubio would be a great backup plan even though I don't consider an elite backup PG a priority. For example, i'd take Rubio with the TPE over an average at best TPE wing or center.

Ricky with the splash bro's would be pretty absurd.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#207 » by gswhoops » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:24 pm

Rubio's passing + D would be a great fit and I could see him playing alongside Curry in small lineups. If the Suns are dumping players though I'd go after Oubre first.
TB
General Manager

Post#208 » by TB » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:31 pm

gswhoops wrote:Rubio's passing + D would be a great fit and I could see him playing alongside Curry in small lineups. If the Suns are dumping players though I'd go after Oubre first.

100% agreed. Oubre and Smart are my 2 dream TPE targets (using next years 1st rounder).

Rubio would fall into the category of guys like Jonas, who i'd take a few minutes to be bummed we didn't get a huge haul, but ultimately would realize we gained a way better player than TPE's usually get.

(kennard not mentioned in dream targets because I would use picks and Looney for him since his contract is less)
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#209 » by Coxy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:53 am

Anyone else like the idea of James Johnson as a trade target with the TPE. If we drafted Wiseman, our front line stocks would be gravy.

Draymond/James Johnson/Paschall
Wiseman/Looney/Chriss

So many different combinations for Kerr to go with, and we could keep everyone rested and healthy with the depth.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#210 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:56 am

The year Draymond won DPOY he had crazy defensive metrics, the guy behind him at power forward in terms of the numbers was James Johnson. Interesting enough the Heat unlocked him by playing him in Draymond Green role, that's why they paid so much. Johnson would be a good fit next to KAT, but the young guy Hernangomez is a nice stretch 4. I wish Myers worked his magic to get Hernangomez in the Russell trade.

Johnson has a little bit of that David West in him, he's just a tough guy with experience and a high bball IQ. Plays some great defense on LeBron, just doesn't let the guy push off on him all game.

I could also see a scenario where we take on James Johnson's contract and monitor Looney. If Looney isn't where we need him and the race is tight us packaging Johnson, Looney, and a pick for Aldridge. For the heat Aldridge takes the guys made a lot of all-star teams and our starting five would be unstoppable to defend. Plus Aldridge shot the 3 ball well this year, his pick n pop game with Curry would be be brutal for the competition.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by gswhoops » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:37 pm

TB wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Rubio's passing + D would be a great fit and I could see him playing alongside Curry in small lineups. If the Suns are dumping players though I'd go after Oubre first.

100% agreed. Oubre and Smart are my 2 dream TPE targets (using next years 1st rounder).

Rubio would fall into the category of guys like Jonas, who i'd take a few minutes to be bummed we didn't get a huge haul, but ultimately would realize we gained a way better player than TPE's usually get.

(kennard not mentioned in dream targets because I would use picks and Looney for him since his contract is less)

My dream scenario is that Houston ownership orders Morey to cut salary and we can steal Covington or Tucker for a future first. Beyond that, Smart or Oubre would be killer.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#212 » by gswhoops » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:38 pm

Coxy wrote:Anyone else like the idea of James Johnson as a trade target with the TPE. If we drafted Wiseman, our front line stocks would be gravy.

Draymond/James Johnson/Paschall
Wiseman/Looney/Chriss

So many different combinations for Kerr to go with, and we could keep everyone rested and healthy with the depth.

JJ also has the added bonus of being a big expiring contract that we could use to turn our high-value picks into a real game changer if the opportunity arose.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 203

Post#213 » by B-King » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:33 am

There are no players close the $17.2M TPE that I would trade this year's 1st for and Winslow is the only player I would trade a future 1st (excluding the Minnesota pick).

There will be teams looking to dump and I would leverage that for either someone that can help next year or a temporary trash contract that nets us a future pick.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#214 » by ShayDee » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:08 pm

Read on Twitter

So maybe people can stop dangling any of our 1st rounders for this guy that can't even play consistently
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 360

Post#215 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:32 pm

Draft: James Wiseman & Desmond Bane
TPE: James Johnson
MLE/Veteran's minimum: Reggie Jackson

Curry/Jackson/Poole
Thompson/Lee/
Wiggins/Bane/Tuscano
Green/Johnson/Paschall
Wiseman/Looney/Chriss/Smiley

So many weapons and mismatches.
wco81
RealGM

Post#216 » by wco81 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:23 pm

So this columnist suggests Olynyk if they can't get Gasol or Ibaka.

But if the Heat are motivated to move him in order to retain Leonard — a free agent — they could welcome the salary relief the Warriors could offer with the $17.2 million traded-player exception.

By trading Olynyk into Golden State’s exception, the Heat would create nearly $40 million in cap space that could help them re-sign Leonard and other core rotation players Goran Dragic and Jae Crowder. (That amount of space is especially useful if they are forced to overpay those players on one-year deals, as the organization aims to retain cap space for the 2021 offseason.)

The Heat get cap space. The Warriors get their floor-spacing center.

-The bottom line

Olynyk’s opt-in deadline is the day after the draft (Oct. 16) and the day before free agency begins (Oct. 18). Golden State’s traded-player exception expires on Oct. 24. If the Warriors don’t select a center with their top draft pick and Olynyk opts in, brokering a deal with the Heat makes sense for both sides.

The concern with acquiring Olynyk is the opportunity cost. Centers can be found with the smaller mid-level exception, while rotation-level wings are of a higher premium. Even if they draft a wing, the Warriors will need to add at least another perimeter player this offseason.

That’s where the timing comes in. The Warriors have a few days between the start of free agency and the expiration date of the traded-player exception. If the Warriors strike out on best-case options at center like Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka in free agency and fail to find a wing worthy of the traded-player exception, they can call the Heat about Olynyk and give Kerr the floor-spacer he’s been seeking.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2020/07/24/is-kelly-olynyk-the-floor-spacer-the-warriors-are-looking-for/
wco81
RealGM

Post#217 » by wco81 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:25 pm

Another possibility, Favors:

So why would the Warriors be interested in Favors? Mainly because he's a very good defender who can protect the rim/paint, and handle his own on the perimeter in pick-and-roll situations. At 6-foot-9 and 265 pounds, Favors -- who is averaging a career-high 9.9 rebounds in just 24.2 minutes this season -- can match up against the NBA's bulkier low post threats.

"You still have to have a roster that allows you to deal with the big 5s who are out there," coach Steve Kerr told The Athletic's Tim Kawakami in March. "And we absolutely will address that."

Offensively, the Warriors -- with Steph Curry, Klay Thompson and Andrew Wiggins onboard -- wouldn't ask Favors to rack up a lot of points. He doesn't need a bunch of touches or shots to have an impact, yet is very efficient when he gets opportunities. Favors is shooting a terrific 62 percent on 2-pointers over the last three seasons combined, and does the overwhelming majority of his damage in the paint.

Unfortunately, he is not a threat from beyond the arc. Favors tried adding the 3-point shot to his game his final two seasons with the Utah Jazz, but just made 31 of 141 attempts (22 percent). He is 1-for-7 from deep this season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/could-warriors-sign-derrick-favors-taxpayer-mid-level-exception
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#218 » by Mylie10 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Do not want Favors.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Free Ballin
Freshman
And1: 18

Post#219 » by Free Ballin » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:41 am

Don’t know why no one is including Jonathan Simmons for 2021. I think he will get more mins than Damian Lee and will probably be Wiggins primary backup.

For me, I would draft Wiseman, and some combination of CJ Elleby, Yves Pons and Jay Scrubb. Preferably Elleby and Pons.
I would throw the vet min at DJ Augustin (always liked his game) or MCW, see who takes the money first.

In a dream scenario the Dubs get Marcus Smart with the TPE, but I see that as a pipe dream. I would like to see if Rodney Hood would be available from the Blazers, especially if,they don’t make the playoffs. I like his game and think his offensive game would flourish in the Warriors ball movement and I like his length for defense. I could see Rubio happening and he would be a good fit as well. He would be great in the Iguodala role. I like Winslow as an option, but he is in the shelf too much for my liking.

PG: Curry, Augustin
SG: Klay, Simmons, Poole
SF: Wiggins, Hood, Elleby
PF: Draymond, Paschall, Smiley, Pons
C: Chriss, Wiseman, Looney.

Of note, I am a Jordan Poole fan. I liked him even when his shooting sucked. I liked his floor game, but he needed to get stronger and get control of his ADHD. I think he will be the primary backup PG in year 3 and has the potential to take over the reins as starting PG eventually.

I love the versatility of this lineup, very deep and long with a good offensive mix.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#220 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:00 am

Mylie10 wrote:Do not want Favors.

Agreed.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?

Return to Golden State Warriors