ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#601 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:29 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
winsomme2 wrote:Potential Draft Result:

#17 - Patrick Williams - dynamic wing with good size and star potential.

#26 - Reggie Perry - Dependable modern day PF/C, FT% shows potential as shot-maker.

#30 - Malachi Flynn - High floor PG with starter potential. Tremendous in PnR.

Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of Patrick Williams for us. He's one of 2 guys I love for us at #17. I don't know that he's ever going to be able to create for himself at a high level but I think he's going to be a tough, rugged defender at the PF spot who can switch on the P&R and cover bigger SFs. The shot seems to have a solid enough foundation to be reliable and I think he shows a good ability to attack close outs and pass the ball within the offense. I don't think he's ever going to be your top scorer or a primary ball handler but as a 3&D PF he doesn't have to be.

I think he's still a bit raw so I don't think you're looking at a big time impact in year 1, but that's ok. We don't need huge year 1 impact necessarily, though obviously you'd love if we got that. It kind of depends on the Hayward situation and how many more years we have him, but down the line I think you're looking at a guy who would start at PF alongside Brown/Tatum. One potential fit issue is that I don't see him being a primary shot creator - more someone who scores off of plays created by others. I think Brown is the same type of player, even though he scores 20 a night. He gets his points off catch and shoot, off-ball cuts and then when he does iso/create for himself it's in favorable matchups. He's not a high level shot creator for himself or others right now. And then Tatum we all know has broken out in a big way this year, but playmaking for others is the one part of his game still lagging. Having Hayward as a point forward compensates for those weaknesses in Tatum/Brown. If in the long term we're going to move from that to a Patrick Williams type player alongside them, there will have to be improvement from Tatum/Brown as playmakers with the ball to compensate for that. That's not really an indictment on Williams but it's just a watch out on the long term fit.

My favorite player for us is Kira Lewis Jr because I think he'll be a star for us at PG down the line for us as a Kemba replacement and the offense-generating 2nd unit PG we need in the short term. But Patrick Williams as a bench forward now and eventual running mate alongside Tatum/Brown in Hayward's place is my second choice. I'd be very happy if one of them were there at #17.

Not as big a fan of the Reggie Perry pick. Stevens likes to switch on the P&R and I think he's a little heavy footed for that. It's not so much that I don't like Perry as it is I like some other bigs more. I think Zeke Nnaji could be a Kelly Olynyk type offensive player for us that switches on defense the way Theis does for example. I think he's a really good system fit for us. I think Paul Reed could be a big man version of Marcus Smart for us. Kind of like Grant Williams but with more length to help out in the bigger matchups. Another guy I like is Mamadi Diakite. I think he'd be a lot like Daniel Theis. Daniel Orturu I think is a bit of the same system misfit as Perry, but I think his strengths are stronger so it's more projectable and something worth altering for (the way we changed some things in how we play with Kanter, for example).

Those are just the big men. Two guys I also like for us potentially at #26 are the Arizona guards - Nico Mannion and Josh Green. Mannion is a P&R ball handler with a great shot IMO. I know he shot a bad % but he had a back injury that made it much worse. I think he's a good passer and creative finisher. He won't ever be a good defender but he tries which Stevens has shown is all he needs the PG to do to make it work. I think he's got some athleticism limitations that would prevent him from ever being an ideal starter in the way I said earlier I think Kira Lewis Jr could, but I think he addresses the 2nd unit PG we need now and for the future. Green right now is great in the open court but a bit undeveloped with his shot and handles but I think potential is there to be a good 2-way wing. Kind of a scaled back Jaylen Brown, if you will. He comes in and develops his catch and shoot game, defends multiple positions with size/athleticism/length. Over time he gets maybe a little more comfortable and can be a lower option to handle.

At #30, you're looking at kind of the same names. You mention Flynn who I think you can basically say the same things I did for Mannion earlier. That'd be a solid pick. There are a ton of PGs who fall into that, honestly. I think Xavier Tillman is an NBA ready big man who can play rotation minutes right away, though limited ceiling to ever be more than that IMO. Cassius Stanley would fit in a lot of the same ways as Green. Tyler Bey would fit in the way Patrick Williams would. I have those guys ranked lower so not the same upside but I'm talking schematic fit/role.

I'm really high on Kira Lewis as well. I'm thinking he might be off the board at 17 but would love the pick if it was him. That would change the needs at 26 and 30 a bit. Although I think other that a big and a PG I think the third pick could be BPA or a draft and stash.

I wish I had a better read on Mannion and Reed. Mannion was definitely disappointing to me this season. He's certainly a good ball handler and PnR passer. Flynn seems like an overall better player to me, though. Better shooter and finisher. A could see a back injury muddying the waters, but maybe a back injury is a red flag....Reed certainly has the stats, but I have some mobility worries about him. He seems to play kinda stiff. But I definitely see potential.

I actually think there's tons of potential in this draft as well.

I'd to get a shooter. Isaiah Joe?

How about:

#17 - Kira Lewis - Star potential. Speed demon. Would be so good in early years coming off the bench.

#26 - Zeke Nnaji - Good Shooter. Gets off the ground fast.

#30 - Cassius Stanley - Explosive athlete. Room to grow on a team with talented wings to develop under.

My biggest worries for Kira going before us are NO (projected #13) and ORL (projected #15). I'm really hoping that NO gets that last playoff spot in the West because then our MEM pick would come in at #14 and we'd jump both of them. (Obviously assuming MEM doesn't win the lottery in that scenario where we wouldn't get their pick anymore.) I think he fills an immediate need for backup PG and long term need so to me he is far and away the best option.

I wonder if maybe we could move up and land BOTH Kira Lewis and Patrick Williams. I think Patrick Williams has an NBA ready body and could play bench minutes right from the get go. Could make Grant Williams expendable. Some combination of #26, #30, Grant Williams, next year's pick... I wonder how high that could get us. I think Kira Lewis Jr is an ideal PG for us and Patrick Williams is an ideal PF. So I'd love to get those guys because I think those could be your eventual replacements for Kemba/Hayward alongside Tatum/Brown. Love both of their upside and could see that being an awesome complimentary roster down the line.

Kemba / Kira Lewis Jr.
Brown / Langford
Hayward / Smart
Tatum / Patrick Williams
Theis / Kanter / R. Williams

I love all that talent/athleticism on the second unit (hopefully R. Williams overtakes Kanter next year). I'd be thrilled if we come away with that and then add some vet min deals to round out the roster.

I'm worried about Reed's "stiffness" on offense. But defensively I think he's fine. I think he just doesn't have great feel for the game and comfort level on offense. I think the spacing of the NBA game will help him though. When you move the 3 point line out you just spread everyone out more so you're not as in close quarters all the time. I think that'll help him.

Back injury for Mannion would definitely be concerning if it was start of something potentially chronic. I haven't seen anything indicating that though. He also fits Ainge's history of liking to draft 5 star recruits for their natural talent even if their one year at college was rocky.

I really like that draft you have there. One guy I left out of my write up earlier was Jordan Nwora. I think he might be a nice fit here over Stanley if they're looking for someone to compete for some minutes quicker. But Stanley has some nice upside IMO.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,360

Post#602 » by patman66 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:41 pm

my hopes are
17. Patrick Williams or Jalen Smith
26. Jaden Mcdaniels
30, Oturu or Bane
46. joel Ayayi
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#603 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:03 pm

patman66 wrote:my hopes are
26. Jaden Mcdaniels
30, Oturu or Bane
46. joel Ayayi

Please no to Jalen Smith. Incredibly stiff and gets easily pushed around. Limited athletically.

I would be ok with McDaniels at 26 only as a flyer just because of his athletic and physical profile, which are the only reasons he’s even sniffing the 1st round. Production, character, and work ethic make him a solid 2nd rounder.

I could easily see him flaming out of the league in 2 years but if he puts it all together, which is a big if, that’s a lottery ticket. Just doesn’t seem like a player the Celtics usually target but being 6-10 with guard skills is certainly tough to ignore.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#604 » by hugepatsfan » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Agree on Jalen Smith being too stiff and lean. Don't think he works on a team that liks to switch PnRs. And can't see us using #17 on a player who forces us to change our preferred system. At #26 or #30 maybe because at that point you're just looking for talent that you can find a role for.

Mcdaniels is a pure upside play. In theory he could fit since Stevens like small ball lineups with multiple wings. Think of how Hayward/Tatum start at SF/PF together. Definitely a project though.

Oturu is interesting. Again, not switchable on the PnR. But I think they can find a place for him, i.e. how we use Kanter. And maybe if the shooting takes off with him he could be a steal.

Bane is another interesting guy int hat range. Could help with the bench offense. His lack of length is concerning on defense but we have bench guys who excel there. Not thrilled about him but it's a late 1st so likely won't be thrilled with anyone. He has potential to carve out a role.

Ayayi could mayeb be a bench sparkplug. No way #46 makes the NBA team so looking at a GLeague guy anyway.
patman66
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,360

Post#605 » by patman66 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:51 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
26. Jaden Mcdaniels
30, Oturu or Bane
46. joel Ayayi

Please no to Jalen Smith. Incredibly stiff and gets easily pushed around. Limited athletically.

I would be ok with McDaniels at 26 only as a flyer just because of his athletic and physical profile, which are the only reasons he’s even sniffing the 1st round. Production, character, and work ethic make him a solid 2nd rounder.

I could easily see him flaming out of the league in 2 years but if he puts it all together, which is a big if, that’s a lottery ticket. Just doesn’t seem like a player the Celtics usually target but being 6-10 with guard skills is certainly tough to ignore.

I don't see the stiffness that you do. I see a 20 year old getting a lot better than he was over the last year. I see big fast player that can get up and down the court and excel in transition. A big with range and defense. I see the kid with John Collins potential in 3 years. As far as McDaniels goes it is boom or bust.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#606 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:13 pm

patman66 wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
26. Jaden Mcdaniels
30, Oturu or Bane
46. joel Ayayi

I don't see the stiffness that you do. I see a 20 year old getting a lot better than he was over the last year. I see big fast player that can get up and down the court and excel in transition. A big with range and defense. I see the kid with John Collins potential in 3 years. As far as McDaniels goes it is boom or bust.

Smith's agility is very poor changing directions, which kills him on defense. Stiff lateral movements hurt his pick-and-roll and perimeter defense. Guards blow by him too often. He needs to put in significant work on his body, especially his hips, to improve quickness.

I don't see the comparison to Collins honestly. Not nearly the athlete he is. Smith is a better shooter coming out of college but isn't the twitchy athlete and at #17 doesn't have the upside you would prefer. I don't see them taking a big guy there in the draft.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#607 » by Elrod is Back » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:34 am

This is a terrific thread with really thoughtful and informed posts. My only concern: the Cs have a very young team, almost unprecedented for a contender. I am not ready to throw in the towel on any of the kids currently on the roster of 17. Even Poirier and Green could develop.

So I’d be inclined to trade out of the draft for future 1st rounders or draft guys willing to spend a year or two overseas.

Of course if the talent available in the bottom half of the first round is unusually enticing that is another matter. But I don’t sense it is that good.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#608 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:03 pm

Idk about trade out of the draft but would certainly trade one of the 1st round picks this year for a future pick. There's no way they go into next season with 3 rookies. So, it's either a draft and stash, package picks to move up, or trade a 1st for a future one.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#609 » by Elrod is Back » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:42 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:Idk about trade out of the draft but would certainly trade one of the 1st round picks this year for a future pick. There's no way they go into next season with 3 rookies. So, it's either a draft and stash, package picks to move up, or trade a 1st for a future one.

Packaging picks to move up ids done all the time...in the NFL. It is done less frequently in the NBA for a variety of reasons. Like if Danny wanted to move from 17 to 12 or 13 he might be able to get a team to do so for picks 17, 26 and 30. Just maybe. That sort of thing. But most teams value a higher pick way above two or three lower picks. Smaller rosters, and severe drop-off in quality compared to the NFL.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#610 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:18 pm

Elrod is Back wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:Idk about trade out of the draft but would certainly trade one of the 1st round picks this year for a future pick. There's no way they go into next season with 3 rookies. So, it's either a draft and stash, package picks to move up, or trade a 1st for a future one.

Packaging picks to move up ids done all the time...in the NFL. It is done less frequently in the NBA for a variety of reasons. Like if Danny wanted to move from 17 to 12 or 13 he might be able to get a team to do so for picks 17, 26 and 30. Just maybe. That sort of thing. But most teams value a higher pick way above two or three lower picks. Smaller rosters, and severe drop-off in quality compared to the NFL.

To go from outside the lottery to inside is next to impossible. That said, I remain unconvinced that Memphis is just gonna waltz into the playoffs. In fact, I think Portland is ripe to steal that spot away from them which could then put Boston at 14. From there, there may be wiggle room of 2, maybe 3 spots with a consolidation trade for a team that likes a few people and think one of them may last. That could get you to 21 or maybe 11 if there's a guy that Danny really likes and think could be a difference-maker.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#611 » by hugepatsfan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:31 pm

Yeah, wherever the MEM pick ends up, either #14 or #17. I just want one of Kira Lewis or Patrick Williams.

I would try to do #26 and #30 for a early 20s pick. That's similar to the deal we made with PHI last year.

Then I would package that pick, our 1st next year and one of Langford or Grant Williams for anther mid 1st. I think a team could bite on that, I really do. As long as they don't LOVE someone. I posted earlier that I preferred giving up Grant but "yahboi" got me thinking and I think it would make more sense to give up Langford. That leaves us with:

Kemba / Lewis
Brown / Smart
Hayward
Tatum / G. Williams / P. Williams

P. Williams could play some "second unit SF" if we ever go with an all bench lineup. Reality is that you'd stagger minutes so one of Brown/Hayward/Tatum is in there. Even Smart can play some SF in small ball. The whole idea of a "second unit" where all 5 bench guys are out there doesn't actually happen. So I'm fine with playing 2 PFs off the bench instead of 1 SF and 1 PF so the lineup looks pretty on paper. Means more time for Tatum at SF which I like anyway.

I feel really strongly about the potential of Lewis at PG and Williams at PF. I think both fit our system like a glove. I really believe that 3 year from now you'd have those guys starting at PG and PF with Brown/Tatum in between them at SG and SF. I think there's a good shot we get one with the MEM pick, especially if it jumps up to #14. I know Langford/#26/#30/'21 1st rounder feels expensive to move up for either but I really think it'd be worth it.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#612 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:15 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Yeah, wherever the MEM pick ends up, either #14 or #17. I just want one of Kira Lewis or Patrick Williams.

I would try to do #26 and #30 for a early 20s pick. That's similar to the deal we made with PHI last year.

Then I would package that pick, our 1st next year and one of Langford or Grant Williams for anther mid 1st. I think a team could bite on that, I really do. As long as they don't LOVE someone. I posted earlier that I preferred giving up Grant but "yahboi" got me thinking and I think it would make more sense to give up Langford. That leaves us with:

Kemba / Lewis
Brown / Smart
Hayward
Tatum / G. Williams / P. Williams

P. Williams could play some "second unit SF" if we ever go with an all bench lineup. Reality is that you'd stagger minutes so one of Brown/Hayward/Tatum is in there. Even Smart can play some SF in small ball. The whole idea of a "second unit" where all 5 bench guys are out there doesn't actually happen. So I'm fine with playing 2 PFs off the bench instead of 1 SF and 1 PF so the lineup looks pretty on paper. Means more time for Tatum at SF which I like anyway.

I feel really strongly about the potential of Lewis at PG and Williams at PF. I think both fit our system like a glove. I really believe that 3 year from now you'd have those guys starting at PG and PF with Brown/Tatum in between them at SG and SF. I think there's a good shot we get one with the MEM pick, especially if it jumps up to #14. I know Langford/#26/#30/'21 1st rounder feels expensive to move up for either but I really think it'd be worth it.

Not a fan of Lewis myself but Patrick Williams looks like a Stevens' guy if ever I saw one. We could have our own Williams triplets thing goin on which would be marginally gimmicky and marketable.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#613 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:58 pm

They aren’t trading Romeo or Grant with another pick to move up to the teens lol. This isn’t 2K. Teams don’t give up on rookies like that after a year and by all accounts they love Grant and are intrigued by Romeo’s potential
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#614 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:41 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
26. Jaden Mcdaniels
30, Oturu or Bane
46. joel Ayayi

Meh, we did pick James Young and Fab Melo several years back.

McDaniels will probably bust. But he has a chance to end up being the best player in this draft. Given how weak this draft is, and where we are competitively, I’m fine taking a bunch of high upside plays. Would much rather watch them bust than take another Kelly Olynyk and hate everything again.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#615 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:39 pm

At 17, I want Maxey. He’s a good combo guard, works his ass off and has given a ton of indications that his deep shooting was just a small, faulty sample [Shot 36% from deep on 600+ attempts in HS, 83% FT shooter].

If his shooting comes around, which I think it will, I think he can become a real good player.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#616 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:45 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:At 17, I want Maxey. He’s a good combo guard, works his ass off and has given a ton of indications that his deep shooting was just a small, faulty sample [Shot 36% from deep on 600+ attempts in HS, 83% FT shooter].

If his shooting comes around, which I think it will, I think he can become a real good player.

Agreed on the shooting. He reminds me of Jaylen Brown/Avery Bradley in that sense. Both shot well in high school but looked bad in college. A college team with bad spacing can make guys look a lot worse than they are. Agree that Maxey has good projection on his shot.

I think he fits really well in the backcourt next to a player like Marcus Smart. Lets him play on he ball on defense but off guard on defense. It might be a tough fit for he and Langford coexisting in a rotation together. I could see it though. Langford and Maxey take Wanamaker's and Semi's minutes. Requires Smart playing more PG vs SG than he has in past few years and then lining up your rotations so you always have one of Brown/Hayward/Tatum at SF.

Walker / Smart
Brown / Maxey / Langford
Hayward
Tatum / G Williams
Theis / Kanter / R Williams

That can work I think. Langford hasn't proven himself to the point he should influence draft decisions but they do seem to like him as a rotation piece so fit does come into play at some degree since we're drafting to a mostly filled depth chart.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#617 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:22 pm

Maxey is my favorite prospect at 17. I have concerns that he'll still be there, especially if there are individual workouts where I think he'll blow up.

Wouldn't be opposed to Josh Green at 17 either who can come in right away and be a 3 and D guy. 6-6 215 and a 6-11 wingspan. Patrick Williams and RJ Hampton I also like. Hampton is really raw but has a huge ceiling if he puts it together. One of the top rated guys in the class in HS too so wouldn't be shocked if Celtics take him.

I think you've gotta swing for the fences in this draft since the roster is already pretty full so doubt any rookie would get any big time minutes anyways next year.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#618 » by captain green » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:49 pm

Dj Rodman and Ryan mutombo or nothing lol
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#619 » by Parliament10 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:28 am

captain green wrote:Dj Rodman and Ryan mutombo or nothing lol

Dennis Rodman's Son, and Dikembe Mutombo's Son?
Nice.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#620 » by captain green » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:27 am

Parliament10 wrote:
captain green wrote:Dj Rodman and Ryan mutombo or nothing lol

Dennis Rodman's Son, and Dikembe Mutombo's Son?
Nice.

Yeppers lol
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.

Return to Boston Celtics