ImageImage

OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,598

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#881 » by tski1972 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. What sucks is we just got our new router 6 months ago hoping it’d solve our problem.
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,654

Post#882 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:56 pm

tski1972 wrote:Thanks for the tips guys. What sucks is we just got our new router 6 months ago hoping it’d solve our problem.

It does suck - been there, unfortunately. Our old mesh system, which lasted about 3 years and we had gone 'cheap' on from the get-go, was starting to fail. But then we wondered if it would be the router (which was ancient), or even the modem (which we were renting). In the end, we got new of everything, which is not cheap but especially worth it now given we're all-WFH all-the-time. We did router/modem first to see if it would fix things, and it helped, but we didn't see a huge improvement until we got the new mesh system too. But we also tested the new mesh system with the old router/modem combo, and we went backwards again. So basically what we found was we needed new of everything - the old stuff was just old and needed replacing.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#883 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:58 pm

YOU GUYS. DKC1 ON SWITCH ONLINE NEXT WEEK.

https://www.cnet.com/news/donkey-kong-country-comes-to-switch-next-week/

I have been waiting for this since before the service was announced. Now fingers crossed 2 and 3 come, as well. 2 is GOAT platformer, man.
jmuelly
Junior
And1: 88

Post#884 » by jmuelly » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:45 pm

I’ve been running a netgear nighthawk router in my setup, we only have a 100mbps through spectrum but spread about 2400 sq ft. I’ve considered an upgrade myself but I don’t even know where to begin with so many mesh options and setups. I’ve heard many good things. We primarily stream, connect phones/ipads and multiple ps4 consoles which connect on a floor below the router.

Do these systems work with regular modems?
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#885 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:24 pm

jmuelly wrote:I’ve been running a netgear nighthawk router in my setup, we only have a 100mbps through spectrum but spread about 2400 sq ft. I’ve considered an upgrade myself but I don’t even know where to begin with so many mesh options and setups. I’ve heard many good things. We primarily stream, connect phones/ipads and multiple ps4 consoles which connect on a floor below the router.

Generally yes, just verify the one you're looking at works with your ISP. I don't think the modem itself will make a difference.

Some (or maybe all) mesh systems are also routers, as well. We use ours in parallel with our own router. I honestly don't remember why we did it that way, but it works well. And we have a ton of ports available for wired connections.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,268

Post#886 » by KidA24 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:21 pm

jmuelly wrote:I’ve been running a netgear nighthawk router in my setup, we only have a 100mbps through spectrum but spread about 2400 sq ft. I’ve considered an upgrade myself but I don’t even know where to begin with so many mesh options and setups. I’ve heard many good things. We primarily stream, connect phones/ipads and multiple ps4 consoles which connect on a floor below the router.

Can you run ethernet cable to another spot in your house?

Another option (which I'm using in my apartment) is a MoCA connection (ethernet over Coax), if you have existing coax cable, which you need 2 adapters and then another router to make work.

https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/wifibooster/ethernet-over-coax-make-wifi-better/

While I respect mesh for what it does (ease of use and basic wifi coverage) it really cuts down the speed unless you are connected to the primary router.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#887 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Jul 8, 2020 7:39 pm

KidA24 wrote:

Can you run ethernet cable to another spot in your house?

Another option (which I'm using in my apartment) is a MoCA connection (ethernet over Coax), if you have existing coax cable, which you need 2 adapters and then another router to make work.

https://www.actiontec.com/wifihelp/wifibooster/ethernet-over-coax-make-wifi-better/

While I respect mesh for what it does (ease of use and basic wifi coverage) it really cuts down the speed unless you are connected to the primary router.

You're definitely not wrong. But, I will say that between our first mesh system (~4 years ago) and our current (~4 months ago), the improvement in connection speed from the mesh points is almost literally twofold on the same connection.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,966

Post#889 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:48 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I know I am 9 years late to the party, but damn Witcher 2 was good. But those boss battles are hard, its insane.

I jumped on Witcher 3 bandwagon before playing first and second, and just after 2 times I finished W3, I figured I need all back story and picked up W1 and recently W2. First Witcher doesnt hold up at all, I would even call it terrible, so I feared Witcher 2 would be much of the same, but no, its fantastic. Both W2 and W3 are those games where I cant get enough of it, I want more and more and hate when it ends, where W1 I dragged myself trough. I was surprised how much of Branching path there is in second Witcher, probably even more than Witcher 3, and they did it in 2011, can only imagine what they have in store for us in Cyberpunk, holy crap this developer is amazing.

Time to restart Witcher 3 again, does anyone have any good mod recommendations?

ReasonablySober wrote:I bounced off Shadow of War immediately, but it's $10 on the PSN so that might be my holiday weekend game.

I love Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of war. I wish Monolith does something like that again, I would love them to make a Justice league game. I just dont get why they made Talion look different in second game, its like a recast in a tv show, but its a game, like why did his face changed so bad :lol:

I'm enjoying it a lot. I've spent so many recent years playing AC games that I forgot how good the combat and movement feels in the WB (Arkham) games.

ETA: Jesus, the combat is absolutely relentless, in the first few hours at least. I've been playing Minas Ithil. I figured I'd unlock the towers, collect the, uh, collectables, and clear the map. But the map never seems to clear. I've killed a dozen captains so far and they just keep showing up, along with the hundreds of orks. It's one encounter after another.

A week later and I'm having an absolute blast. This game hits the sweet spot for ADD gotta collect 'em all gamers and awesome combat. Once you're able to dominate (mind-control) Ureks and build an army of Captains the game becomes special. The tradeoff is if you don't kill them you don't get their epic and legendary loot. At some point I'm gonna have to start killing these dopes, but I haven't gotten there yet.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,612

Post#890 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:14 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I know I am 9 years late to the party, but damn Witcher 2 was good. But those boss battles are hard, its insane.

I jumped on Witcher 3 bandwagon before playing first and second, and just after 2 times I finished W3, I figured I need all back story and picked up W1 and recently W2. First Witcher doesnt hold up at all, I would even call it terrible, so I feared Witcher 2 would be much of the same, but no, its fantastic. Both W2 and W3 are those games where I cant get enough of it, I want more and more and hate when it ends, where W1 I dragged myself trough. I was surprised how much of Branching path there is in second Witcher, probably even more than Witcher 3, and they did it in 2011, can only imagine what they have in store for us in Cyberpunk, holy crap this developer is amazing.

Time to restart Witcher 3 again, does anyone have any good mod recommendations?

I love Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of war. I wish Monolith does something like that again, I would love them to make a Justice league game. I just dont get why they made Talion look different in second game, its like a recast in a tv show, but its a game, like why did his face changed so bad :lol:

I'm enjoying it a lot. I've spent so many recent years playing AC games that I forgot how good the combat and movement feels in the WB (Arkham) games.

ETA: Jesus, the combat is absolutely relentless, in the first few hours at least. I've been playing Minas Ithil. I figured I'd unlock the towers, collect the, uh, collectables, and clear the map. But the map never seems to clear. I've killed a dozen captains so far and they just keep showing up, along with the hundreds of orks. It's one encounter after another.

A week later and I'm having an absolute blast. This game hits the sweet spot for ADD gotta collect 'em all gamers and awesome combat. Once you're able to dominate (mind-control) Ureks and build an army of Captains the game becomes special. The tradeoff is if you don't kill them you don't get their epic and legendary loot. At some point I'm gonna have to start killing these dopes, but I haven't gotten there yet.

That game is very fun, finding cool looking uruks and recruiting them to your army is great thing. But they can betray you after a while.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#891 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:44 pm

MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#892 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:45 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Whoa.

Looks cool, but so have previous Watch Dogs games.They're ok, but they've both felt really mediocre and shoddy to me. Really cool sandboxes with great ideas that have little life. Very Just Cause-like IMO, basically just a non-Rockstar GTA.

Nothing wrong with that, just skeptical that they finally crack the code with the third one.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,887

Post#893 » by jschligs » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:02 pm

I bought Deep Rock Galactic during Steam’s summer sale, honestly a really fun game when you have friends to play with.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#894 » by glenn » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:49 pm

I absolutely loved Watchdogs 2. The key is playing it more as a puzzle game than a GTA-like violence simulator. I sold it after I beat it, regretted it, and just recently bought the gold edition to replay.
:reporter:
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

Post#895 » by machu46 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:29 am

I always feel like I should like Watch Dogs a lot but the first one really didn’t do it for me. Excited to give #2 a try now that it’s free on PC though and 3 does look interesting.

That Ubisoft event was a dud for me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,631

Post#896 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:01 am

machu46 wrote:I always feel like I should like Watch Dogs a lot but the first one really didn’t do it for me. Excited to give #2 a try now that it’s free on PC though and 3 does look interesting.

I played Watchdogs 1 but never touched 2. Saw Ubisoft was making it free after their technical difficulties today. Is it available for download yet? I’m in the mood to do stupid **** in an open world game.
#FreeChuckDiesel
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

Post#897 » by machu46 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:05 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:
machu46 wrote:I always feel like I should like Watch Dogs a lot but the first one really didn’t do it for me. Excited to give #2 a try now that it’s free on PC though and 3 does look interesting.

I played Watchdogs 1 but never touched 2. Saw Ubisoft was making it free after their technical difficulties today. Is it available for download yet? I’m in the mood to do stupid **** in an open world game.

Not sure. The original plan was that it would be free tomorrow and I haven’t checked yet to see if that changed.

trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#898 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:29 am

I've actually never played a Watchdogs game after the tepid response to the first two games, though I do know the second has its fans.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,612

Post#899 » by UcanUwill » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:31 pm

Never was into those games too, I dont play any Ubisoft games honestly, few I tried did not hook me, But what I really looking forward from them is Gods and Monster, which suppose to be a Zelda clone.

Legion looks good and different. You can recruit and play as most NPCs in the world, its permadeath and then there is London. Albion story line looks as generic as all Ubisoft games, but Marry Kelly character gives hope that it might be interesting.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,562

Post#900 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:54 pm

Watch Dogs just never looked that interesting to me. If I ever have the itch for a non-GTA sandbox game to just run around and do crazy stuff, I always fire up Saint's Row.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks