ImageImageImageImageImage

Orlando roster

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Orlando roster 

Post#21 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 9, 2020 2:26 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I know everyone is down on the team but I'm ready to go to war with LeVert, JA, Harris, Rodi. Those were key guys for us last year and they could easily be gone this off season.

Temple is rock solid off the bench and might start at guard. Chiozza and TLC showed me enough to get excited.

We've gotta hope Musa comes back MUCH better. And we REALLY need some solid guys with the substitutes. Tyler Johnson is jumping into a pretty big role. I'm cool with our starting 5 but the bench is brutal.

if we get last years musa and 75% of playoff levert i like our team... if not for success for etertainment value at the least
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,893

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:03 pm

So updated roster:

C: J. Allen/D. Hall
PF: R. Kurucs/M. Beasley/J. Anderson
SF: J. Harris/G. Temple/D. Musa
SG: C. LeVert/T. Luwalu-Cabarrot
PG: T. Johnson/J. Crawford/C. Chiozza

We need another big man.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#23 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:31 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:So updated roster:

PF: R. Kurucs/M. Beasley/J. Anderson
SF: J. Harris/G. Temple/D. Musa
SG: C. LeVert/T. Luwalu-Cabarrot

We need another big man.

I think we're full.
Also Jeremiah Martin is on the team. (PG)
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#24 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:29 pm

The roster for Orlando feels 2015-2016 level incompetent. We'll be so outmatched at PG, that it'll negatively affect the entire roster.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#25 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Chiozza will be the starter. We need Caris' very best in order to stand a chance, and their advanced statistics when playing together are through the roof.

I honestly don't see Jamal playing a large role, although he could certainly soak up minutes and shots if others poop the bed. He just is so much of a defensive liability, and we have too many of those already.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Any word on YES carrying the scrimmages?

ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#27 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:01 am

As I was listening to the Glue Guys (my favorite Nets podcast!), about the signings of Beasley and Crawford, I started re-thinking Marks' rationale.

We know that the 40 year old Jamal may not have much left in the tank for Orlando. This is not a tryout for next season, it's his One Shining Moment. As for Michael, his skills do not align with our stretch wing-forward model, because he's not a very reliable long-range shooter.

My "A-HA" thought about the Beasley and Crawford signings were that these guys aren't future roleplayers, but current Irving and Durant facsimiles. If there's anything we would like to know going into next season, it's who can play alongside a ball-dominant point guard and a versatile scoring forward. Who else could we sign as a free agent to play the roles? Think of it as a scout team impersonation, only we're scouting ourselves.

With this in mind, I will recant my earlier statement, and say that Jamal will probably start now. Rodi may start while Beasley serves his suspension, but don't be shocked if Michael overtakes him once he's able.

Can Caris thrive with two other gunners around him? If he can, he may be the third star we've been seeking for our dynasty. In order to balance the system and usage, he'll need to improve his defense, and take more assisted shots without dribbling. If he can't handle playing next to fake Kyrie and fake Kevin, it's not going to be an easier road when the real versions return.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#28 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:06 pm

Anyone following the NBA Bubble life account on Twitter? :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=19

^someone needs to take that out of Kuzma's room before he burns the damn hotel down.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

^^those wings look good ngl

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#29 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#30 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:03 pm

We signed Lance Thomas, so now:

PF: R. Kurucs/M. Beasley/L. Thomas
SF: J. Harris/G. Temple/J. Anderson
SG: C. LeVert/T. Luwalu-Cabarrot/D. Musa

That's 14. We need a third center with some size at least.

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#31 » by Claud » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:48 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:We signed Lance Thomas, so now:

PF: R. Kurucs/M. Beasley/L. Thomas
SF: J. Harris/G. Temple/J. Anderson
SG: C. LeVert/T. Luwalu-Cabarrot/D. Musa

That's 14. We need a third center with some size at least.

Chiozza will play major minutes IMO.

It's looking like starters will be Chiozza/LeVert/Harris/Rodi/Fro from what ive seen/read in social media.

Anderson won't make team and I fully agree we NEED another big body to help the Fro.
clo12345
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#32 » by clo12345 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:38 pm

Yea I’m excited to see if Chiozza and others step up. This is a great opportunity for them and might be a blessing that everyone is out. We all knew it wasn’t about this year anyway
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#33 » by Sharcm1 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:54 am

And now even the replacements are being replaced. This is a joke.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#34 » by GTR11 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
This is why I don't believe we can have nice things :banghead:
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#35 » by therealbig3 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:36 am

Would rather miss the playoffs and get a lotto pick this year.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#36 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:07 am

therealbig3 wrote:Would rather miss the playoffs and get a lotto pick this year.

I would as well at this point, but we're in the postseason whether we like it or not.

Washington is sitting their top 3 players, who unlike our top 3, are healthy. They are 6 games behind us in the standings, and have to get within 4 games of us or Orlando JUST to force the one-game play-in round. So over these 8 bubble games, they would need to win 2 more games than us. That's not going to happen. In fact, I won't be shocked if WAS goes 0-8, and we could easily go 1-7. We are the worst two teams in this field, but unfortunately for us, the gulf between them and us is even wider than us and the teams that deserve to play in the postseason.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#37 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:43 am

I have vacillated a few times on the topic of our rotations, but now that the roster is all-but finalized, I've arrived at some new conclusions. Without Beasley (after already being down Durant, Jordan, Chandler and Prince), I think we need to shift to a full-time small-ball look. Opposing teams will punish us on the boards, but since we don't have great size anyway, we might as well lean in and attempt to make them pay on the other end. Also, we're never going to get our 10 best active players the minutes they merit on this roster unless we play some 4-guard sets.

There is no point in tanking; the hope would have been to hang onto our lotto-protected pick, but we'll never drop to within 4 games of WAS and force a postseason play-in scenario. The Wizards are just too awful to close our 6-game lead over them, and they look poised to lose every single Bubble game. Like it or not, our best bet is just to roll out our best lineups, and let the chips fall where they may.

Assuming everyone who is fully healthy now stays that way, here's how I would like it:

STARTERS (mpg in parentheses)
PG: Chiozza (28) - he is the only player on the roster who actually looks like a prototypical 1, but he starts primarily because he and Caris have such a strong impact on winning when they are on the court together. Chris seems to know where to spot up for LeVert as a pressure-release valve when CLV is cookin', and also finds open looks for him on the perimeter.
SG: Johnson (26) - presuming health and system fit, I see his utilitarian, low-usage, high-efficiency game fitting in well with the starters. He's a versatile defender and a competent rebounder, to boot.
SF: LeVert (34) - our star / de facto PG, we'll go as far in this bubble tourney as KRS-One takes us. We may want to see him on the court all 48 minutes, but with games every 72 hours we just can't risk burning him out before the playoffs.
PF: Harris (30) - he too would normally get more PT with a roster this bereft of talent, but he's going to be giving max effort on both ends, and the schedule allows very little rest. He'll take a bruising from most 4's, but he could be a handful for them to check when he's running through screens on offense.
C: Allen (32) - the lynchpin to our 4-out, 1-in approach. He will need to stay home defensively and become a feared rim protector, because our guards will funnel all dribble-drive action to him. He'll also need to attack the glass like a man possessed. Since he's extension-eligible this offseason, he should remember Kawhi's words: BOARDMAN GETS PAID!

BENCH
PG: Crawford (22) - as the primary ball-handler of the 2nd unit, it will be his show to run. We surround him with two solid 3&D wings, and hope the layoff puts a spring in his step. It's not Spencer, and it certainly isn't Kyrie, but at his best with the right supports, his presence could turn a game in our favor.
SG: Temple (18) - the grizzled vet jack-of-all-trades can be a secondary ball-handler and perfunctory playmaker. However his main role will be to be the captain, calling out assignments and keeping the reserves cohesive.
SF: Cabarrot (20) - he has shown versatility, and we'll need him to moonlight as our emergency PF. His main jobs will be hitting the short corner and disrupting the opposition's hot hand.
PF: Kurucs (16) - a confident Rodi would solve our size issues in the starting lineup. I don't know that that version of him is available right now. Still, he's a willing defender and a lithe, long body, perfect for 3rd-string C duties.
C: Hall (14) - unproven at this level and without a strong relationship within the organization, his minutes will come, but not DJ's share. Energy and aggression will need to be his calling card, and his style of play could add the right boost of adrenaline to a very laid-back team.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#38 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:09 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I have vacillated a few times on the topic of our rotations, but now that the roster is all-but finalized, I've arrived at some new conclusions. Without Beasley (after already being down Durant, Jordan, Chandler and Prince), I think we need to shift to a full-time small-ball look. Opposing teams will punish us on the boards, but since we don't have great size anyway, we might as well lean in and attempt to make them pay on the other end. Also, we're never going to get our 10 best active players the minutes they merit on this roster unless we play some 4-guard sets.

There is no point in tanking; the hope would have been to hang onto our lotto-protected pick, but we'll never drop to within 4 games of WAS and force a postseason play-in scenario. The Wizards are just too awful to close our 6-game lead over them, and they look poised to lose every single Bubble game. Like it or not, our best bet is just to roll out our best lineups, and let the chips fall where they may.

Assuming everyone who is fully healthy now stays that way, here's how I would like it:

STARTERS (mpg in parentheses)
PG: Chiozza (28) - he is the only player on the roster who actually looks like a prototypical 1, but he starts primarily because he and Caris have such a strong impact on winning when they are on the court together. Chris seems to know where to spot up for LeVert as a pressure-release valve when CLV is cookin', and also finds open looks for him on the perimeter.
SG: Johnson (26) - presuming health and system fit, I see his utilitarian, low-usage, high-efficiency game fitting in well with the starters. He's a versatile defender and a competent rebounder, to boot.
SF: LeVert (34) - our star / de facto PG, we'll go as far in this bubble tourney as KRS-One takes us. We may want to see him on the court all 48 minutes, but with games every 72 hours we just can't risk burning him out before the playoffs.
PF: Harris (30) - he too would normally get more PT with a roster this bereft of talent, but he's going to be giving max effort on both ends, and the schedule allows very little rest. He'll take a bruising from most 4's, but he could be a handful for them to check when he's running through screens on offense.
C: Allen (32) - the lynchpin to our 4-out, 1-in approach. He will need to stay home defensively and become a feared rim protector, because our guards will funnel all dribble-drive action to him. He'll also need to attack the glass like a man possessed. Since he's extension-eligible this offseason, he should remember Kawhi's words: BOARDMAN GETS PAID!

BENCH
PG: Crawford (22) - as the primary ball-handler of the 2nd unit, it will be his show to run. We surround him with two solid 3&D wings, and hope the layoff puts a spring in his step. It's not Spencer, and it certainly isn't Kyrie, but at his best with the right supports, his presence could turn a game in our favor.
SG: Temple (18) - the grizzled vet jack-of-all-trades can be a secondary ball-handler and perfunctory playmaker. However his main role will be to be the captain, calling out assignments and keeping the reserves cohesive.
SF: Cabarrot (20) - he has shown versatility, and we'll need him to moonlight as our emergency PF. His main jobs will be hitting the short corner and disrupting the opposition's hot hand.
PF: Kurucs (16) - a confident Rodi would solve our size issues in the starting lineup. I don't know that that version of him is available right now. Still, he's a willing defender and a lithe, long body, perfect for 3rd-string C duties.
C: Hall (14) - unproven at this level and without a strong relationship within the organization, his minutes will come, but not DJ's share. Energy and aggression will need to be his calling card, and his style of play could add the right boost of adrenaline to a very laid-back team.

How much better are we than Washington? This roster is terrible.

Also, I expect lance thomas to see some action. we need size.

ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#39 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:How much better are we than Washington? This roster is terrible.

I mean, let's compare their top active players to ours, position by position:

Chiozza = Smith
Johnson = Napier
LeVert >>>>> Brown
Harris >> Hachimura
Allen >> Bryant

Our bench is stronger than theirs as well. Even if we lost Caris (God forbid!), we'd still be slightly better than the Wizards' current lineup.

MrDollarBills wrote:Also, I expect lance thomas to see some action. we need size.

Lance is a great ambassador, but IMO he doesn't have enough to crack this rotation, even in our dire need of size. He hasn't played in a regular season NBA game in like 16 months; many teams had a need and an opportunity for a combo forward, and passed on him time and time again. Besides, at 6'8 230lbs, he really doesn't constitute a ton of "size". He's never even been an average rebounder or defender, and his stretch game is shaky at best. We'll see him for sure, but I don't think he's the answer we've been seeking.
-- Steve Martin
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#40 » by MGrand15 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:08 am

You guys need to temper expectations for Johnson. He was awful this year and got waived by PHX who badly needs a good guard. Not great before that. He's had like one pretty good year in the league. This isn't some proven vet were bringing in. He's on his way out of the league. No way he starts but he'll battle with Crawford for minutes. Not saying he's terrible but he's not jumping ahead of Temple in the rotation.

We're WAY better than Washington. It's easy to take guys like Joe Harris and JA and Temple for granted cause they don't score 20 PPG but they're good NBA players who don't make mistakes. Washington might have one of those.

Return to Brooklyn Nets